Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 ordering process

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

beardo81 wrote: »
    Have a brother in the States, if he unpacked it and just sent the phone on its own, no charger or anything in a (well) padded envelope would they still be able to hit for customs or vat?

Yes, if customs intercept it, and if they do they'll just pick a figure, question it and they'll tell you it's a stationary fee. It happened me before. It's best to find someone coming home and get them bring it home in their hand luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Will be interested in battery performance as the n4's is sealed.

gdon wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by clicking issues.I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. It fast as hell an buttery smooth. One weird thing is the reporting of WiFi speed it says 9mb when I am on 100mb. I still have my S3and check that and it reported 65mb. This just seems a display bug as speeds tests were same on both systems. Will let you know if I spot anything else.

Did google give you the option to put parcel motel as the delivery address during the payment process. As you said your payment details were Irish details but with a UK postcode. I did the same and was able to buy app so hopefully am ready.

P.S I still have very good info that the play store for devices is launching here before end November !!

gdon wrote: »

I added another billing address for my irish credit card by selecting country uk adding exactly same irish creditcard info accept uk post code.. Note google doesnt deliver to isle of man and some other uk regions so pick postal number some where in england or Northern Ireland. Note my delivery address was UK as per parcel motel instructions.

All 3 devices have shipped wooha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

pmsurveys wrote: »

P.S I still have very good info that the play store for devices is launching here before end November !!

I seriously doubt this is true. They won't sell devices here until they can sell music, tv and movies and they only just announced a few new countries in Europe are getting them. If we're lucky we might get it in the next year.

I really hope you're right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seaders

I'm not sure if it's against the rules, but if we can talk about VPNs, what ones have people used? I used one's free trial (won't share which one 'till I know it's ok to) which worked perfectly, played BBC iPlayer and the like without issue, but still showed the dollar price for the Nexus, not sterling. I've not been able to see any other version of this page other than the US one, so I've no idea if this is the norm / correct way for it to show.

As for Google not notifying when it's gonna be back in stock, they aren't but http://whohas.it/g/247 are. They do email and iOS push notifications which is cool (they don't have an Android app yet which is irritating...), so hopefully they'll notify as soon as it comes back in store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

Did google give you the option to put parcel motel as the delivery address during the payment process.

Yes you can add multiple delivery addresses and choose the UK parcel motel one. If you try to use am Irish address it will give u an error

seaders wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's against the rules, but if we can talk about VPNs, what ones have people used? I used one's free trial (won't share which one 'till I know it's ok to) which worked perfectly, played BBC iPlayer and the like without issue, but still showed the dollar price for the Nexus, not Sterling.

You need make sure its a UK vpn . I haven't tried using DNS like unblock us. As that will allow BBC iPlayer but play store is in us dollars. Try UK VPN from panda pow they have a free trial and that worked for me. Remember when change vpns reboot device as Google play resides in memory on phone or tablet once open. To switch different country u need to switch off, switch on select VPN and then go to Google play.

Will be interested in battery performance as the n4's is sealed.

I actually also got N10 so that has sucked up a lot of my playing time lol. But battery life seems OK, I still have my S3 and it does appear the N4 doesn't last as long. But need more testing before I can rely say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

I need to get a new phone for Christmas and I was banking on this one. However with the whole ordering from UK, proxies and uncertainty of stock, I'm thinking it just might prove too much trouble than it's worth. I'm now wondering if the old galaxy nexus is still worth getting at this stage in it's life cycle? Or would it be worth all the hassle to get the 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

Tried ordering a bumper to see if I could add my Visa card, but when it asks for a shipping address, it also asks for a phone number. What phone number am I to use if I am using Parcel Motel? Tried a few online, and a few generated ones, as well as my own Irish one, but none work. Selected United Kindom, but don't know a number, and it won't let me proceed without one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Has anyone successfully bought one of these (either 4,7 or 10) with an Irish credit card? I'm in the US, changed my billing address at the bank end and in Google wallet but when I try for the 10 I get an error. Still waiting on a reply from Google on it...surprise surprise!

Walnutsink wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully bought one of these (either 4,7 or 10) with an Irish credit card? I'm in the US, changed my billing address at the bank end and in Google wallet but when I try for the 10 I get an error. Still waiting on a reply from Google on it...surprise surprise!

Yeap worked for me using parcel motel uk as delivery address with uk phone number and adding my irish debit card as a uk card with uk post code. I bought both N10 and N4
    see thread on boards.ie N4 and N10 for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Hmm... maybe THIS announcement about Google signing a Europe wide music deal with major labels could lead credibility to the possibility of the devices store launching here soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Walnutsink wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully bought onbe of these (either 4,7 or 10) with an Irish credit card? I'm in the US, changed my billing address at the bank end and in Google wallet but when I try for the 10 I get an error. Still waiting on a reply from Google on it...surprise surprise!

Think I read on here recently that the US store does a checkagainst the card that the UK one doesn't do. I stand to be corrected though!

EDIT: I was on play store through a US proxy and they only had a N7 available. Think it was US proxy in work because it was a .com domain

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so is there any less painfull way of getting it then jaming 10 razor blades up your hole?

any retailer that posts here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

so is there any less painfull way of getting it then jaming 10 razor blades up your hole?

pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Keith186 wrote: »
    Think I read on here recently that the US store does a checkagainst the card that the UK one doesn't do. I stand to be corrected though!

EDIT: I was on play store through a US proxy and they only had a N7 available. Think it was US proxy in work because it was a .com domain

That would explain it alright. Just have to speak very nicely to one of the guys here to let me use his cc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

54kroc wrote: »
    pmsl

really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,049 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only thing is retailer will charge full price

eg o2 are charging £400 for the 8gb version but if you have the money you could go down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Take this with a pinch of salt if you wish, but the device store might well be open in Ireland come December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I have a feeling that Google have sent all their spares (if they exist) to the US to get them out to the people waiting there. "Holiday Season"...thanksgiving is this week and they would be on a push to sort them before us.

:)
    Hmm... maybe THIS announcement about Google signing a Europe wide music deal with major labels could lead credibility to the possibility of the devices store launching here soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mystic86 wrote: »
    really?!

Yes!
    Hence the post.

Below is the final price I paid for my N4 8gb via UK Google play

N4 8gb
    Nexus 4 (8GB) £239.00
    Shipping: £9.99
    Total: £248.99
    (Includes VAT of £41.50)

310.42 from Google play
    (248.99 sterling at exchange rate 0.802106)
    5.43 euro debit credit charge
    3.50 parcel motel delivery charge

Total 319.77 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I've (pre)ordered from handtec.co.uk, so far they don't even have dates on when they'll get in it stock. Could be after xmas for all I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Phonesonline.ie have no idea when they'll get them or how much they'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Loligator

You'd be best to get it direct if you can, since LG have already been marking it up through retailers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Loligator wrote: »
    You'd be best to get it direct if you can, since LG have already been marking it up through retailers etc.

Tried using a UK ip yesterday and it was out of stock. If LG have it marked up more than €100 than the uk play store they can **** off to be honest. Gonna get a Galaxy nexus if there's no sign of the 4 in 2 weeks. Absolute cluster**** of a launch, apple iphone launches put google to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Tried using a UK ip yesterday and it was out of stock. If LG have it marked up more than €100 than the uk play store they can **** off to be honest. Gonna get a Galaxy nexus if there's no sign of the 4 in 2 weeks. Absolute cluster**** of a launch, apple iphone launches put google to shame.

Honestly the iPhone 5 launch has been pretty disastrous, at least for customers in Ireland. All networks had extremely limited stock and it has been delivered by Apple in drips throughout the first two months. We are almost in a position where any iPhone 5 you order today can be delivered within the week.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Why did you bother posting here? Was it to get a reaction or to spark an Android v Apple debate? Go get your Galaxy Nexus and be happy but please don't try and start an argument.

Advertisement