Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

'It must be nice to have the keys to alternate realities. While you're there could you tell me what Britain would have looked like if Hitler didn't attack Russia and instead invaded Britain?'

Chuck Stone - while we're are off topic you might like to outline how you think Ireland would have looked if Hitler had overwhelmed Britain. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

After all it's for a foreign army, I don't see anyone wearing an emblem for the French, American, Spanish army. Ok some say it's for charity for injured British soldiers, but surely if they join up it's up to the British govt to properly look after them when they are injured and not pestering people expecting charity ?
    You should get yourself any Irish history book from that time and you'd very quickly realise why one might wear a poppy. I personally wouldn't but could definetly understand other irish people wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    No idea, could be many people could be none? would take for ever to find out I reckon.

Nice way of trying to evade the point. All Empires are evil affairs, but the only one which has its 'defenders' come on here with their mealy mouthed apologia for centures of oppression and racism is the British one.
    japer wrote:
    and millions of people - including a few hundred thousand Irish people - fought in Brith uniforms and were pround to do so. They defended these islands against other empires .

And your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

'It must be nice to have the keys to alternate realities. While you're there could you tell me what Britain would have looked like if Hitler didn't attack Russia and instead invaded Britain?'

Chuck Stone - while we're are off topic you might like to outline how you think Ireland would have looked if Hitler had overwhelmed Britain. :rolleyes:

You're making a mistake. I didn't claim to have the keys to alternate realities.

Regardless, one could equally ask how Ireland would have looked had the plantations not happened.

Conjecture is pretty much a waste of time.

Japer wrote: »
    All the European countries had Empires : Belgium, Germany, France, Spain. Portugal etc. We were part of the UK, and Irish people made up a third of the admonistration of India, for example. .

Again - whats your point?
    In the 20th century, we had much to fear from the like of Germany and Russia, and hundreds of thousands of Irish people fought against those empires....if they did not / nobody did, its almost certain your life would be a lot worse.
    marwelie wrote:
    Anyone who watches Our War on BBC would be moved to wear one.
    The poppy funds are not limited to WWI/WWII veterans.

I might point out that the german drive towards acheiving MittelEuropa was only replicating what the British and others did outside Europe. It came to grief primarily because its easier to subjugate people armed with spears rather than rifles.

• Advertisement

'But the British ran a rather brutal Empire'

'Ah yes, but HITLER.'

...seems to occur rather a lot in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nodin wrote: »
    'But the British ran a rather brutal Empire'

'Ah yes, but HITLER had much fewer Irish people working for him.'

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

But you're also wearing it commemorating murderers who shot dead and murdered children on the streets of Ireland.
    Is the poppy an IRA symbol?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

LordSutch wrote: »
    This year will be President Michael D Higgins 1st year at the Remembrance day service in St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin, and it will be interesting to see if he bucks the trend of previous ROI Presidents and actually wears a poppy on the big day! Previous years have seen Irish Government ministers, foreign dignitaries, commonwealth leaders, embassy officials + nearly everybody else in the cathedral wearing poppies as a mark of respect on Remembrance Sunday, but the President of the ROI has always abstained, which is of course his/her choice . . . .

Might he actually wear a Poppy & buck the trend?

I doubt it.
    The President should wear the poppy imo. We've established the Republic as a country and we should forget about past indiscretions and push forward. I'm not this 'West Brit' character which is often thrown at people like me, My Great grandfather's house was burnt down by the black and tans. He was a doctor who aided injured IRA men. They showed up at the door one night and politely ordered everybody out of the house including my grandmother in her pram.

In the here and now 2012, Ireland and Britain are as close as they've ever been since the 26 counties left the empire. We should strive to continue a strong relationship with our neighbours and remember the Irish who died on the battlefields.

32 counties is not possible at this time, remember that Westminster doesn't want to keep NI just like the majority in the Republic doesn't want to take them.
    Seriously? Are people purposely missing the point on what the poppy is used for?

1) As a symbol to commemorate fallen soldiers in previous conflicts (WWI and II)
    2) A RBL tool to raise funds for past and present soldiers of the British Army (and their families) involved in past and present conflicts

What leader of any independent state would honour those who chose to fight for a different county (allies or not)? If the president was in the UK at the time, then perhaps a gesture could be made - although as a neutral country it is unlikely.

Now given that Ireland doesn't have a well-developed military, I don't have an issue with Irish people today getting their jollies by enlisting with the British Army, French Foreign Legion, etc. But don't expect to be fêted when you return.

More importantly, why is wearing a poppy seen as the only valid way to pay respect to those who have died? Actions and words speak louder than a piece of red plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You're making a mistake. I didn't claim to have the keys to alternate realities.

Regardless, one could equally ask how Ireland would have looked had the plantations not happened.

Conjecture is pretty much a waste of time.

Given the way the system operates today, the land-owners/big knobs would still have shafted the less fortunate and trampled them under foot.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

my children are british.....and proud to be british......

they never murdered anyone.......

anyone on here that doesn't like that.....tough ****.......

i bet they are not kept by begging off the germans.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

GRMA wrote: »
    We owe a bigger debt to the Russians for destroying Nazism. If this was really about the debt we owe to people who stopped Nazism people wouldn't wear a British nationalist symbol which only remembers British soldiers - of all generations, from WW1 till now.

Why not? If, in your words, a bigger debt is owed to the Russians then, logically, a debt is owed to the British - a smaller one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

nice_very wrote: »
    heres a thought.... if the 30,000 who fought with the british in WW1, had fought instead with the easter 1916 rebels, we could be living in a very different country

Many of those who went to fight for the British Army did so with the encouragement of Irish politicians.

Prior to WWI breaking out Ireland was close (or at least Irish politicians thought so) to gaining Home Rule. WWI put Home Rule on the back burner for what was anticipated to be a short war. Irish politicians believed that Irish men joining thr British Army to fight would further help claims for Home Rule.

There's the reason why many joined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Germans, among others, are simply looking out for themselves.

If many of us had our way the British Banks might well have suffered massive losses from their exposure (€174,000,000,000) to the Celtic Pyramid.

Also, it would interesting to know how much of Britain's wealth has trickled down from its colonial past.

Consider too 'Britain's debt time bomb'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

my children are british.....and proud to be british......

they never murdered anyone.......

anyone on here that doesn't like that.....tough ****.......

How many Iraqi and Afghan children have been slaughtered by your army? Just wondering as you proudly display your poppy to support your soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gurramok wrote: »

How many Iraqi and Afghan children have been slaughtered by your army? Just wondering as you proudly display your poppy to support your soldiers.
    How many were slaughtered by the Irish army during their occupation of Chad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Lelantos wrote: »
    Is the poppy an IRA symbol?!

No, buying a poppy commemorates soldiers that have killed Irish kids on Irish streets.

No, buying a poppy commemorates soldiers that have killed Irish kids on Irish streets.
    So it is! an IRA symbol

Lelantos wrote: »
    So it is! an IRA symbol

Is that denial of British Army slaughter of Irish kids in NI?

gurramok wrote: »
    Is that denial of British Army slaughter of Irish kids in NI?

Whatever it is, it's pathetic.

• Advertisement

Any figures? We know there were many "collateral damage" incidences of slaughter of Iraqi and Afghan kids by the British forces, ya know those wedding atrocities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bohemian1890

When have the Irish army slaughtered anyone in Chad?. The British army is a parasite, simple as

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

A lot more kids would have been slaughtered in N. Ireland , and elsewhere in Europe among other places, were it not for the British army, Air Force + Navy.
    Its arguably one of the most professional and respected armed forces in the world : respected even by its enemies. Were it not there, you would be speaking German or Russian and would enjoy a worse life than you currently enjoy.

A lot more kids would have been slaughtered in N. Ireland , and elsewhere in Europe among other places, were it not for the British army, Air Force + Navy.
    Its arguably one of the most professional and respected armed forces in the world : respected even by its enemies. Were it not there, you would be speaking German or Russian and would enjoy a worse life than you currently enjoy.

But... But... But... But... The NAZI'S would have been worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Time to move on folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bohemian1890

Ask any honest, law abiding Nationalist that lived in a Nationalist area in the north of Ireland during the troubles should it be worn by an Irish person and you'd see what they'd tell you. IMO any Irish person who wears it is not worthy of calling themselves Irish.

Whatever it is, it's pathetic.
    Is it a denial of IRA murder of kids in Ireland, both sides of the border?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

GRMA wrote: »
    We owe a bigger debt to the Russians for destroying Nazism. If this was really about the debt we owe to people who stopped Nazism people wouldn't wear a British nationalist symbol which only remembers British soldiers - of all generations, from WW1 till now.

As I and others have explained to you, the poppy as a symbol has a more meaningful significance considering it is based on the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae. McCrae was Canadian. The symbol can be interpreted to one degree or another. It does not require the wearer to claim that the British army never made mistakes, or even that every war that the British fought was "a good war" and so on. Indeed, the poppy also allows scope for remembering the futility of war also. Pretty much all it is that poppies happened to grow near Flanders where John McCrae was when he was writing his poem in 1915.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    More importantly, why is wearing a poppy seen as the only valid way to pay respect to those who have died? Actions and words speak louder than a piece of red plastic.

It isn't the only way, it's a commonly accepted way and the 11th of November is a commonly accepted date for doing this. There's no obligation for you to join in. It's a good opportunity for reflection on war and conflict which I think is valuable every year.

Why is that so wrong? :confused:

A poppy we can all agree to commemorate:

http://i.imgur.com/GARVn.jpg

Anyone know how I post this as a pic?

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    As I and others have explained to you, the poppy as a symbol has a more meaningful significance considering it is based on the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae. McCrae was Canadian. The symbol can be interpreted to one degree or another. It does not require the wearer to claim that the British army never made mistakes, or even that every war that the British fought was "a good war" and so on. Indeed, the poppy also allows scope for remembering the futility of war also. Pretty much all it is that poppies happened to grow near Flanders where John McCrae was when he was writing his poem in 1915.

However funds go to all who served. As has been pointed out more than once.

Advertisement