Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made Arcade Machine???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

in file c:\mame\mame.ini under # CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS #
    use 1 to tun on, or 0 to turn off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

in the mame ini under # CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS #
    use 1 to tun on, or 0 to turn off
    Thanks again cathal will have a look wen I get home and see what I can do

Finally got it all sorted and games running grand now..well from what i know anyway have have it saving hiscores too(only checked 2 metal slug and pacman)..so time to get back to the more manual labour end of things which I am more than happy to do at this stage...
    Thanks for all the help getting me this far lads.. will post pics with my progress

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just have a basic query lads and didn't want to start a new thread.

Would this PC be useful to requirements for the core of a basic Mame cab?

Looking at a Dell GX520, 3.0 Ghz, running Windows 7 Home Premium. Has 1gb ram and an 80 gb hard drive, both of which i'd be intending to upgrade.

What say the gurus?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Would this PC be useful to requirements for the core of a basic Mame cab?

Looking at a Dell GX520, 3.0 Ghz, running Windows 7 Home Premium. Has 1gb ram and an 80 gb hard drive, both of which i'd be intending to upgrade.

it would probably be fine for running mame, but if you want to run anything else in conjunction with it, in particular a frontend with lots of advanced graphics etc you might run into issues.

More ram certainly would help, but it will depend on your processor too. if it's a P4 single core 3Ghz, it will run most emulators up to about year 2000 ok including mame, but the requirements there are only a fraction of what your cab will need if you're installing something like Hyperspin as your front end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

it would probably be fine for running mame, but if you want to run anything else in conjunction with it, in particular a frontend with lots of advanced graphics etc you might run into issues.

More ram certainly would help, but it will depend on your processor too. if it's a P4 single core 3Ghz, it will run most emulators up to about year 2000 ok including mame, but the requirements there are only a fraction of what your cab will need if you're installing something like Hyperspin as your front end.

Yes, it's a single core P4. I would be aiming to boost it to 4gb ram and a 2tb hard drive if possible.

What would be the recommended minimum set-up? I will be intending on stripping basically as much functionality as possible, the pc will solely be used as the engine for the cab, and I wouldn't be concerned about it being able to run anything after Neo-Geo/Snes/Megadrive/Mame, I have a Saturn, Wii and 360 that does me for anything later anyway.

I would intend on having a good collection of music onboard as well, but I believe the front-end will have all the jukebox functionality required for that.

I would want the front-end to run slickly though, that would really be my main concern, I want the set up to feel smooth and professional rather than some clunky old box cobbled together.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Yes, it's a single core P4. I would be aiming to boost it to 4gb ram and a 2tb hard drive if possible.

What would be the recommended minimum set-up? I will be intending on stripping basically as much functionality as possible, the pc will solely be used as the engine for the cab...

I would want the front-end to run slickly though, that would really be my main concern, I want the set up to feel smooth and professional...

My cab's specs are xp pro, 2.8ghz single core P4, 4gb ram, 160gb sata HDD, and integrated graphics and sound. It runs all the games you mentioned absolutely fine, and has hyperspin as the frontend, but that's been stripped down and has a lot of graphical effects turned off.

If you wanted to improve on that spec a dual core processor would get you the single biggest difference, and then maybe more RAM (if you're on windows 7) or a dedicated graphics card would help also. The processor is the key part though.

You could also look at game ex or maximus arcade for the front end. Both are quite good, not as pretty as hyperspin but less system heavy and a damn sight easier to set up. Hyperspin looks beautiful but it's a pain in the passage to get running.

Your music is not an issue. If it runs the front end it will run a jukebox no problem, just make sure you have enough HDD space for your mp3s as well as all the game stuff. Don't fill your HDD up more than about 80% of its capacity or you'll start to see performance taking a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've a Core2Duo 2.8Ghz, 256Mb gfx, 4GB ram & XP x64...everything runs flawlessly including HS

Picked up an ipac2 a joystick and a couple of buttons today( thanks o1s1n) the rest on order from gremlin and CPO and marquee on order so will post pics when I have them installed... Where's the cheapest place to get plexi/ Perspex from lads ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Where's the cheapest place to get plexi/ Perspex from lads ???

B&Q does sheets of different thicknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Where's the cheapest place to get plexi/ Perspex from lads ???

Hindleys.com I find cheap. They do tinted aswell. If you can find a local glass shop they are usually the cheapest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive plexi in mine, but i have to say its brutal compared to glass, it scratches easy, its a pain to clean and it can be expensive too. im going to get a sheet of glass for mine, its a million times better.

Yeah definitely go with glass. Plexiglass is fine looking but it has no strength, chips and breaks easily, and will scratch very easily messing up the finish. The flimsiness of it makes the finished article look & feel less professional in my opinion.

Don't use Perspex. It's a scratch magnet.

Wouldn't feel comfortable using a sheet of glass knowing my friends and they way they react to a bad beat in poker,god knows what way they will react to a bad beat in pacman..
    And just another question I'm mounting my mobo on a the mdf.. should I have a fan running air across it keeping it cool and another one sucking away the hot air??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You can get toughened glass. Sure it's what's in arcade machines as is. Won't smash like standard brittle glass.

Unless your mates are Robocop that is.

Wouldn't feel comfortable using a sheet of glass knowing my friends and they way they react to a bad beat...

The glass bezel is there to protect the monitor and insides of the cabinet. It's suposed to take the impact of stuff like that instead of the screen behind it, that's exactly what it's for. Toughened glass is better, but using plexi is not going to afford your screen any protection whatsoever, especially if your mates are whacking it as hard as you say. Plexi is really weak and brittle, doesn't take any weight, and will just crack and f*ck up anything that's behind it if it gets a hit, meaning you'll be out of pocket for a new screen AND have to get a new bezel cover as well.

A piece of glass is much better. If you're worried about it breaking, just put some foam padding behind it at the edges to cushion any impacts (adhesive sticky pads or foam strips are good for that). You can put a clear or very slightly dark smoky car window tint over it to hold it all together in case of any cracking/shattering, but even that's probably overkill. Go for the thickest sheet your cab will take that you can afford in order to to minimize the chance of breakage. A piece of 6mm glass is pretty solid. If your friends are hitting your machine hard enough to be breaking it, you probably should be thinking about not inviting them round anymore.

The glass bezel is there to protect the monitor and insides of the cabinet. It's suposed to take the impact of stuff like that instead of the screen behind it, that's exactly what it's for. Toughened glass is better, but using plexi is not going to afford your screen any protection whatsoever, especially if your mates are whacking it as hard as you say. Plexi is really weak and brittle, doesn't take any weight, and will just crack and f*ck up anything that's behind it if it gets a hit, meaning you'll be out of pocket for a new screen AND have to get a new bezel cover as well.

A piece of glass is much better. If you're worried about it breaking, just put some foam padding behind it at the edges to cushion any impacts (adhesive sticky pads or foam strips are good for that). You can put a clear or very slightly dark smoky car window tint over it to hold it all together in case of any cracking/shattering, but even that's probably overkill. Go for the thickest sheet your cab will take that you can afford in order to to minimize the chance of breakage. A piece of 6mm glass is pretty solid. If your friends are hitting your machine hard enough to be breaking it, you probably should be thinking about not inviting them round anymore.

how much are ye talking for a piece of this about 27"x30" roughly??? and how would i go about fixing it to the cab.. was gonna use lats attached to the cab and then screw the plexi to it

how much are ye talking for a piece of this about 27"x30" roughly??? and how would i go about fixing it to the cab.. was gonna use lats attached to the cab and then screw the plexi to it

Firstly, DON'T screw through plexi, it will just crack and chip off, especially if you're screwing through near the edges. It's very brittle and allows for little or no expansion, it just breaks if you drive into it. If you're looking to put a screw through it, use a panhead screw and heat a philips screwdriver up and melt a hole through it instead, then put the screw in and let the head hold the plexi in place. I learned that trick the hard way :-(

Re the glass, the last piece of glass i bought set me back 20 or 30 quid in a local glaziers i think, for a smallish upright cab, converted from a poker machine, but shop around because prices vary. It was plain glass, and i had it cut to size and rounded and polished at the edges to avoid cuts to my fingers when handling it (don't skimp on this, an injury from a piece of sheet glass or a glass splinter in your hand is extremely painful and makes using a joystick very difficult to do).

I fitted it onto the cab by screwing three 2x1 inch batons into the inside of the cabinet to the left, right, and top of the screen giving me a 1 inch support all around for the glass sheet to lie on. The height was set to about 3mm clearance off the CRT screen. I made a lip at the bottom edge for the glass to sit against so it wouldn't slide downwards towards my feet, by making sure the batons for the glass were about 4 or 5mm lower than the batons that the left and right of the control panel sit on. Then all i did was attach a piece of 45 degree cross section dowelling about 10mm thick to the underneath of the marquee/speaker panel at the top of the glass to hold it into place at the top so that the only way you could have moved it out of there was to lift it forwards at the bottom.

The last step was to lock the glass into position by fitting the control panel on so it sat over the lip at the bottom giving the glass nowhere to move to. With the panel on, the glass couldn't be lifted forward, and had nowhere to move to in any other direction.

From the front, the only restraint for the glass you could see was the thin 45 degree piece of wood at the top, which was painted to match the cab and looked perfect. Sorry i haven't got pictures, that cab is long gone, but if the description isn't clear let me know and I'll see if i can do a better job of explaining it.

ye i think i know what you mean i think it will be a bit of trial and error getting it to fit nice and snug

Glass is definitely stronger and looks better. I got a quote for a piece of 600*600mm toughened and tinted glass for 45 quid from a local glazing shop.

I removed one from an old cab i had years ago. A few of us belted it with a lump hammer 'hard' and it wouldn't break. It took a friend to smash it as hard as he could over his head onto a metal gate post to break it.

The only drawback is if your cab isn't exactly square. If its narrower at the top than the bottom you won't be able to router it down so make sure its square first or make a template with scrap mdf.

• Advertisement

nacimroc wrote: »
    I removed one from an old cab i had years ago. A few of us belted it with a lump hammer 'hard' and it wouldn't break. It took a friend to smash it as hard as he could over his head onto a metal gate post to break it...

You must have the same kind of mates as andrew does :D

What's with all these lunatics smashing up arcade machines?

You must have the same kind of mates as andrew does :D

What's with all these lunatics smashing up arcade machines?

I thought everyone had those friends. The ones who have white knuckles using the joysticks they grab them so hard! Trying to pretend your not watching them whilst waiting for them to rip the joystick clean off the control panel!

i hear that or gripping the ps3 controller so had it nearly breaks in half...
    our catchphrase for describing one of my mates is " Daniel mash ":D(ye have to do it in a Frankenstein voice though);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

i hear that or gripping the ps3 controller so had it nearly breaks in half...
    our catchphrase for describing one of my mates is " Daniel mash ":D(ye have to do it in a Frankenstein voice though);)

Prob better not to tell him you have a cab

haha dont think i can keep it from him.. word has spread far and wide of a mysterious person building a cab that lets you relive your school boys addictions on...
    i keep getting asked "when is the next poker night?" when i know they just wanna come around so they can play metal slug when they're knocked out...
    Ah well the distraction of the flashing screen might help me line my empty pockets with their money:D:D

Would i be able to run dreamcast on my mame cabinet with my specs or would that be asking too much??

Would i be able to run dreamcast on my mame cabinet with my specs or would that be asking too much??

I hope somebody comes back to you on this. I've only got a P4 2.8 single core in mine, and 4GB ram, and integrated gfx. Would be interested to see which emulators i could push it to run under XP.

Anyone?

ye i guess i could just try it and see...
    got a price for my glass of 35 euro.. that's polished and rounded 6mm thick hardened glass seems a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

What are the specs again?
    I hope somebody comes back to you on this. I've only got a P4 2.8 single core in mine, and 4GB ram, and integrated gfx. Would be interested to see which emulators i could push it to run under XP.

Anyone?

I think you might be out of luck with the P4 and integrated graphics for the DC emulation.

• Advertisement

mine are p4 2.8 single core 4gb ram and an ati radeon 7500 graphics card

Advertisement