Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Rebel Tour 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

PVMC wrote: »
    Did the 85km in 4hrs 27 mins. Knocked 28 mins off my time when I did the course back in July. Delighted with that. However, I still had to walk the 100 metres of shame to the cross at Healys':o
    +1 to the chap who, when passing me said 'The sooner this mid-life crisis is over the better':)
    Will have to lose the kilos and have more miles behind me before I tackle it next year.
    Hats off to everbody involved for an unforgetable day.

p.s. any other sportives in the general Cork area before winter really starts?

Cork county cycling club have a gig coming up, have a look at their page
    Also the valley wheelers gig mentioned above
    Be doing the 110k next week with ccc should be a bit of craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

hopefully be there too

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

dvntie wrote: »
    Be doing the 110k next week with ccc should be a bit of craic

The 110k route isn't available on their website. Does anyone know what it is?

edit: found last years http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/53947832/

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I have to say that this is one of the most spectacular cycling events I have ever taken part in, and it's no wonder that the term "stunning" keeps coming up in peoples descriptions.

I did the 160km course (174 in total back and forth to lodgings) and had a great day out. Marshalling was top notch with the bad junctions well warned in advance by whistle and red flag. Catering was excellent with a great friendly welcome from all the volunteers. Only gripe was the food stop at Adrigole was too small. Maybe it could be moved out a bit further to a bigger hall in Castletownbere if it's held in the same area next year.

Weather was ok, had a rain jacket stuffed in the jersey pocket but it never got used, and I was in short sleeve jersey and shorts all day

Weirdest moment was between Allihies and Eyeries. The road seemed to go through a farmyard, saw a white-washed wall in front of me and a marshal directing me to the right around a very narrow tight corner. Wonder how tour buses do it? Tried to find it in Street View but not sure of location.

Was in full Boards kit and got a few "Boardsie" shouts, the first from an Orwell rider around 8.50 who seemed to be leaving Glengarriff early.

Nice to meet Signal Rabbit (keep chasing those Strava segments :D), Nilhg, Frere Jacques and Murf85 from Middleton CC (thanks for letting me join your group for a long stretch) Hope you all had a great day.

One for the diary next year if it's kept in Beara.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Caha Pass:

007F28E2DE624F0AB3669450E442298E-0000359217-0003014068-00500L-3C6DB0C5BBB849AFAC1EF93FC68A837F.jpg

58D8D1C135E245EE80FBD7DFE3B4B5E4-0000359217-0003014066-00500L-09633CBBCB7F4CB7B313DBC85B671EC0.jpg

Healy Pass:

29092F6A1A67442ABD3EE8C409141F91-0000359217-0003014064-00500L-3B73013D6DAC4AD4BB9A437D71859547.jpg

8E060D46590B459082025314052D0F46-0000359217-0003014065-00500L-BC786B051E8C468AA852C4DB30EB4B10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

for those who could not go:

caha descent

more tomorrow maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

jimm wrote: »

Weirdest moment was between Allihies and Eyeries. The road seemed to go through a farmyard, saw a white-washed wall in front of me and a marshal directing me to the right around a very narrow tight corner. Wonder how tour buses do it? Tried to find it in Street View but not sure of location.

This is the farm yard and it's one of the reasons that road between Allihies and Eyeries is a tour bus free zone. Hope they never realign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

coastwatch wrote: »
    This is the farm yard and it's one of the reasons that road between Allihies and Eyeries is a tour bus free zone. Hope they never realign it.

Ha ha only in Ireland would ya bring a sportive through someones Farmyard, excellent.:D:D

That's the one, brilliant, thanks.

Thought you were doing the "Rebel"? Saw a bunch of your team-mates at the start and one of them told me you hadn't come down. Another of them had a helmet cam. Do you know if he has put anything on Youtube?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

That actually isnt the route tho. That is the old copper mines road, the tarmac stops just at the top and it turns to a gravel road down into urhan on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

@Jimm , Couldn't make the tour unfortunately, sounds like the organisation was every bit as good as the route. The whole route is stunning but that road from Allihies to Eyeries is a bit special, feels like a giant rollercoaster.

@denbatt, That is on the route, that copper mine road is higher up, wouldn't fancy it on 23mm tyres, great for a mtb I'd say.

@denbatt, That is on the route, that copper mine road is higher up, wouldn't fancy it on 23mm tyres, great for a mtb I'd say.

Yeah was just talking about that photo of allihies at the top of the page, the road you can see was not on the route, i'd love to do it on a good mountain bike alright, last time i did it i was driving a tractor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Fantastic route, great organisation, lots of food, brilliant support. I have done WW200, RoK, TdeC, SkT and numerous other events for years. Only the SkT comes close to this.

ROK ON wrote: »
    For people that enjoyed yesterday and have not cycled in the area previously, I would like to point out that a local club, http://www.valleywheelerscc.com/
    is hosting an end of season sportif in a few weeks time. Not on the beara but adjacent to it in the Shehy mountains. Again absolutely stunning cycling country. (I have no affiliation with the club.)

I second this, another hidden gem. The long route is 'only' 100k, but its tough. A stunning route, well worth the drive from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

hodgkin wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed the music! My hamstrings were suffering a lot more at that stage, I remember you flying past!
    It was Bob Marley, "Jammin'" at about three o'clock yesterday!
    !

I'd say it was my team partner flying by, I was more of a slow and steady type. He was on a very upright hybrid bike with straight handle bars and a jersey with "Adventure starts today" plastered on the back.
    I was the guy behind with the sky blue top who spent the day trying to get him to slow down. He would normally be seen waiting at the top of all the climbs for me.
    A quick Hi too to any of the lads who were in the train going from Adrigole to CtBere. There were six of seven of us clipping along nicely for about 15K. Two lads were in a two tone green club jersey, one lad in a red jersey, one in the event jersey and a lad in an Usher feed Wicklow 200 Jersey. Big thanks for all the help. Great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Great day out, now that's what a sportive should be like, great organisation, great route, great food, great marshaling, (kudos to the volunteers aswell), and I get the jersey size I wanted :)

The route: fantastic, the views on the Healy Pass blew me away, I thought it was brilliant the 1st time round but the 2nd time round with the sun shinning even enhanced the experience. There's a part (say 1.2km or so from the finish) that reminds me of a section on the Galibier, you turn right and head on for the final steep section.

/I seem to remember a 'spectator' (farmer) standing at a gate for both ascents, I can only presume he went for his dinner/lunch at some point :pac:

Allihies................wow, that was a shock, wall after wall of granny ring grinding!

The food, an amazing array of cakes, biscuits and buns, as well as sandwiches, hot tea & pasta, just what I needed, in fact I think I would have happily stayed there and had an outdoor party/session. At the 2nd stop, which we timed well as we just missed a shower of rain, there was great craic inside the clubhouse, some old lads sitting down happy & contented having their tea & cakes & when the younger lads arrived in, the banter started, "ah yeah, here comes the 'elite' group.................late as usual :p"

I must admit that the legs and body felt good all day, no sign of cramp, and I managed to put in 2 good efforts on the Healy Pass, and still had the legs to hammer it home (on my own, as the group splintered on the 2nd ascent), I gave a boardsie a big 'Howya' on the way, probably near that section on Strava (It's a hard climb to me!!).

kingoffifa wrote: »

caha descent

The videos are great for re-living the days' cycle. Thanks for posting these! They are sill bringing a smile to my face watching them, knowing I have now actually cycled the Caha Pass and the Healy Pass for the first time. This 85km route is something I will cycle again before this year is out. Enjoyable route.

caha descent

Boardsie at 3.09

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: at 5.44 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

jimm wrote: »

caha descent

Boardsie at 3.09

Me, neck was killing me, i sat up and these two bullets came whistling past.

• Advertisement

gotta get me one of those cameras;)

By the way lads, my sister is in the local camera club in castletownbere and they were out taking pics on saturday, she was covering the 160 route over between allihies and urhan(cods head stage) i had a look at some of them and everyone's number is not visible but i may be able to get some pictures of ye. I'm hoping she may get a pic of myself from one of the lads on the top of the healy pass;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

been through there in a bus on the way home from castletown after the forge [nightclub], can be done in a bus but only by locals ;) good few people skipped[cheated] the coastal bit and turned off for eyeries in castletown:confused: dont know why you would sign up for the 160 and then skip the best bit

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Me, neck was killing me, i sat up and these two bullets came whistling past.

lol - hope we didn't cause any extra pain! We were kinda late starting :)

"Star of the Show" put one of the fastest times of the day down on that stretch according to Strava. He loves the descent he does :)
    at 5.44

yeah - had a good laugh at that one! wasn't as hairy as it looked :) that's what he said to me anyway :)

someone requested this - last section of the Healy Pass Ascent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbezONxzEc

someone requested this - last section of the Healy Pass Ascent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbezONxzEc

Jeez man, that was some peddling by you. I re-lived the pain I endured with a smile on my face watching that video! :) I was in with a few from the bridge with the land-slide and with every turn we approached, we convinced ourselves that was it, that was the top - until we took the turn and that wasn't to be :( onwards again but lovely achievement to have climbed it.

/Would you mind pm'ing me where you purchased your cam please?

it was a case if i didn't hurry up my legs were going to say "nah your grand thanks" :)

There were plenty who hit it much harder than that to be sure - some did it twice!! lol

pming you now

it was a case if i didn't hurry up my legs were going to say "nah your grand thanks" :)

There were plenty who hit it much harder than that to be sure - some did it twice!! lol

pming you now

:) Yeah the 160km :eek: Jerseys were well earned by all on the 15th.

Maybe next year I'll tackle that, but with a lot more work. I'll know how I am set once I complete the ROK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gartan

The overwhelming sense that this tour was superb is something I largely echo. It was such a good idea to move it out of Cork. I liked it last year but cannot say that I loved it. This year it felt like being part of a huge local effort and the spirit of volunteerism that permeated the entire tour from the people marshalling to the lady who said welcome to Allihies and more besides, made this a tour to rival the Ring of Kerry for feel good factor.

I congratulate the organisers and also the teams who marshalled, catered, repaired, and encouraged all the way along.

However, it was hard cycle. I envied the seriously able cyclists who took those hills like mountain goats and I resolved to lose another load of kgs and train more in wicklow from here on in. It was the hardest day I have ever spent on a bike. It is harder than the Ring of Kerry, even harder than the Wicklow Peaks and harder than a long day on the Camino. I think it has to be acknowledge that several gave up and they were not all seniors or vets either. People stopped after Eyeries to ring taxis and many turned off to avoid the Healy Pass on the last loop home. I almost did myself but kept going and me and my cycling partner were probably last home.

Looking ahead to next year, I think it would be good if there was an option of a ride that did the Healy Pass once as that would make a difference. Personally I found the hills after Healy to be a bigger challenge but the psychological wall of going over Healy twice taught me a few things, 1. Do not stop just because you want to; 2. lose more weight and 3. get in more hills in the coming year. All that said, I enjoyed it but I think the long course will deter people who wanted to get out for the sportive but found themselves lost because it was really harder than expected and seemed like a course for the guys and gals who race regularly.

Cheers to everyone for the brilliant photos. They look terrific!

Advertisement