Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile June 30 (marathon race series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Would wave starts by colour make any difference? For example a green number for the first wave and so on?

Good suggestion and I assume the colour would be based on an expected time provided in advance/entry time. Again assumes everyone providing honest and realistic times. GIR do something similar, but doesn't lessen the problem too much.
    So long as these races get large numbers of entries, people will always start in the wrong place and don't appreciate the impact on everyone around them. Introduction of the waves has helped

Did anyone else find the t-shirts tiny?

Small fitting alright. I went for an XL and it's about the same as a large that I picked up at one of last year's races. It's like lucky dip. Last year's DCM t's were small fitting too so I luckily went with the assumption these would be similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

My medium t-shirt is very tight fitting too. Last year's medium is loose fitting...

Sounds like the t-shirts were manufactured elsewhere for this years series... Either that or we're all after piling on the pounds in the last few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

3 stars (average)
    saving a few quid on cotton. my Large T was a tight fit also ..finished the race today in 44mins. second ever race so happy enough. next up is the 10 Mile so have a good bit of work to do..might do a log !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 minimouse1

Really enjoyed the race today, did it in 47 mins and was in the 40-50 pen just in case you were wondering!! first time I ran using miles which i found better than km today coz i only had to get to 5 markers as opposed to 8 so mentally i think it suited me better!
    Havent signed up for the july race yet but ppl seem to be skipping it. Whats the reason for that?? Once I do a race i always feel motivated to sign up for another!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    minimouse1 wrote: »
    Havent signed up for the july race yet but ppl seem to be skipping it. Whats the reason for that??!
    For me it is the location. It's a short cycle to the Phoenix Park (and no parking worries) but a decent drive to Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'll be away but one thing I also think is the idea of progression. A 10k is little step up on a 5miler. This will mean those novices like myself wouldn't really be that enthused in spending money on it. Thats why most are skipping it and focusing on the 10 mile later.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I'll be away but one thing I also think is the idea of progression. A 10k is little step up on a 5miler. This will mean those novices like myself wouldn't really be that enthused in spending money on it. Thats why most are skipping it and focusing on the 10 mile later.

Personally, i've entered it to give me a bit more race experience as I am not used to running in crowds, something I found had a big impact on my run today. It may only be a small step up but then it is only 3 weeks from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

3 stars (average)
    I enjoyed it overall. Was a bit late getting to start so was about halfway up 2nd wave, wanted to get nearer the top of it. Did 41:20, but traffic meant first mile was 8:40 instead of 8:00!! Passed lots of walkers in first mile, I was zig zagging trying to get round people.
    Had to slow to a walk at the first bend on Chesterfield, too sharp and too crowded.
    Looking forward to 10k....will arrive earlier though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

3 stars (average)
    My 3rd time doing this race. I thought this year that waves were a huge improvement on previous years, helped no doubt by the MC saying that people holding up runners in wave 1 would get barged out of the way :D - need more of this. I was in the first wave - half way up and I didn't think it was as bad as previous years. I'm not sure there is much more the organisers can do to get people in the right way - you can't legislate for the sheer ignorance of some people. Only thing might work is to sort the results by chip time rather than gun time in the papers and on the website.

The course was tougher than I expected - nasty second half of the race after pretty much running downhill for the first half.

Finished in 34.05 which is 47seconds better than my PB so thrilled with that especially on such a tough course.

Well done to all the organisers and fair play to all the people who came out to cheer us on especially on such a miserable morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

my 3rd time doing this i taught the waves were ok have been worse in the past . really enjoyed today finished in 33. 22 so happy enough well done to all involved great race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

4 stars (good)
    2nd time for me. I think the course was harder than last year, and it was a bit too warm :rolleyes:. First half nice and downhill, in about 0:17:30 so was looking at possible sub 35, but few more hills followed and slowed me down... gave it all and finished in 0:36:0x, PB by over 5 minutes since last year, so very happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

(Edited post from my own log - took out the boring bits ;))

I had a good start to the day. Up early for breakfast and feeling good. My wife and 6 year old daughter accompanied me to the race - they dropped me off and went in search of parking which they found on the left hand side of the north road just before we turned right to head towards the popes cross. They got a great spot parked facing onto and just beside the road which meant they could sit in the car and see me run by before heading for the finish line. You may have seem my little one with her head sticking up out of the sun roof cheering everyone on. :) Apparently quite a few people were waving back at her.

I joined wave 2 - 40-50 min expected time which is where I should have been. However there were clearly people in this wave who shouldn't have been anywhere near it. I was navigating around walkers before we got to the mile 1 marker and I found the congestion all the way to the bottom of the kyber to have cost me time. Now that said I was still running at a pace that was pushing myself so I can't blame the crowd too much on losing time.

I ended up beating my 5 mile PB by 1:09 - 2:15 depending on how you look at it (difference being the previous PB was based on Endomondo which measured the course short - full details in my own log for anyone interested :))

Interestingly enough I noticed an anamoly in the results according to TDL. I apparently placed in the top half of men (1435 of 3619) yet in the bottom half overall (2618 of 4046 on chip time and 2185 of 4046 on gun time) That makes no sense. If there were 3619 men that would have left only 427 women in the field which I'm fairly certain there was a lot more. Even if every woman out there beat me home (which a lot did to be fair biggrin.gif) that could still only drop me back to 1872nd place at worst so something is wrong with the results. In fact clicking on any female result gives a gender position of xxx out of 2632. 2632 women 3619 men but only 4046 participants. :confused:

In summary I've had a good day. My little one saw Daddy out running (and even made me a special medal too :)) No matter what way I look at it I've had an improvement time wise - and compared to 6 months ago I'm light years ahead.

A special thank you to all the marshalls and volunteers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

3 stars (average)
    Well organised event. Was my first 5mile race but as did the GIR 10k in 44:40 a few months ago was hoping for about 37 mins but not as well prepared and calf gave trouble in second half so finished in 38:30 so bit disappointed :(. Will have to do more training for the 10K to have a chance of beating my GIR time but this may be the kick I needed to get a move on.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

3 stars (average)
    Enjoyed the race. Concur with a lot of people about people starting at the wrong place. Started a few rows back on the first wave but was still passing a lot of people over the first few miles. Came in at just under 30. Very happy with this. I really like the t-shirts. Much better fit than last year and a nice colour too. They are quite a different size from last year though so I can see why people would be miffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

3 stars (average)

Good suggestion and I assume the colour would be based on an expected time provided in advance/entry time. Again assumes everyone providing honest and realistic times. GIR do something similar, but doesn't lessen the problem too much.
    So long as these races get large numbers of entries, people will always start in the wrong place and don't appreciate the impact on everyone around them. Introduction of the waves has helped

Yeah true, it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, but any improvement is better than nothing. I didn't suffer with it really this year because I ran up near the top deliberately to avoid it. There were a few people pushed out of the way to be honest.

It would probably be very hard for marshalls to enforce colour starts like that. I am not sure if many people would lie about their expected times though. The people who go in the wrong wave are that ignorant that they wouldn't know what they were at. I really can't understand what would possess anyone to go up near the front of the top two waves when they are intending to jog slowly or even walk. It boils my blood.

I think the only way we can sort it is if the runners physically burst their way through these people and then they will eventually get the message.

I remember doing one of the races last year and I was at the back of wave one near the start. Two aul ones met up in front of me and were talking about how quick they could walk it. I told them they were in the wrong wave and they should be at the back. Both of them said that if they went back they'd be slower going through the start line after the gun and therefore get slower times. They did not understand the chip system and how it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

3 stars (average)
    I gave this race a 4, I thought it was great. It would have been a 5 had the t-shirt not made me look like I need a sports bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    Have to say I have no problem with the t-shirt myself, I'm only a skinny fellow so I got a small t-shirt and it fits fine, I like the colour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Was my first race ever today and really enjoyed it. Finished in a time of 36:20 which I was delighted with as well cos I had set myself a goal of under 37.

Got the small t-shirt too and really like it...fits perfect.

Fair play to all involved for organising it and thought it was run really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

There were a few people pushed out of the way to be honest.

I think the only way we can sort it is if the runners physically burst their way through these people and then they will eventually get the message.

Great attitude. Try to remember that races are not exclusively organised for your personal benefit and you have no right to be physically violent to complete strangers who have as much right to run at their own pace. Remember that you are also just some annoying slowcoach who started in the wrong place to any runner who overtakes you. The pushing that goes on in some of these bigger races, especially towards women, is disgraceful and should not be encouraged.

While it is frustrating to have to run around a slow runner or a group of slow runners, what's the worst that can happen if you have to run around them? Your time might be slower by a second or two, that's about it. Its not like you'll miss out on Olympic qualification because of them. If you find that you are constantly passing slow runners or groups then you have clearly started in the wrong place. Try moving further forward next time.

I spent the first km of the Docklands 8km weaving in and out and around people because I started stupidly far back. But at no point did I push anyone, or even think about "bursting" my way through anyone. Today I learned from my experience and started quite close to the front. The result, hardly any congestion in front of me, and not too many faster runners overtaking me. Consequently I finished a minute faster today on a tougher course.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    First time that I ran in this series, I thought it was well run, tough course but I expected that, I actually thought the last two miles were better than from what I was warned.

I finished just under 40 and was delighted as it's my first 5 mile (in twenty years as I've returned to running after a long absence) and started at the front of the second wave. Matched my Docklands 8k time.

T shirt was a bit snug but looks like it's good quality, better than some I've picked up recently.

Overall I thought the event was well run, couldn't see any toilets but trees and big open spaces are good alternatives.

The wave start was reasonably good, yes there were a few brave souls who ventured into the front wave only to learn that running isn't as easy as it looks, but overall I didn't have to worry about too many in my way so it worked for me. I find it entertaining to see those that thought they belong up front with the elite after a few weeks of boot camp retiring early and having to do the walk of shame as they face the runners only minutes before they thought inferior.

On where you start in a race for the average runner like me I find it better to be mid way back, if people are overtaking me I lose heart, if I overtake it pushes me on.

Thinking about the Swords run, didn't enter but might consider it, have entered the 10 mile, I've the DL Bay between now and then so could do with another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

3 stars (average)
    Just a point on the whole wave system that people are making.
    Perhaps people are just not aware of what the point of the "wave" system is and maybe some clear instructions need to be included within the race pack.
    It's only natural for people to move as close to the starting position as posible so it's worth educating them in the race pack about why this can cause a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

Hi folks,

Just started running two months ago and did my first ever race today in the 5-miler in a time I was relatively happy with (and one I hope to build on in future races - definitely been bitten by the bug over the last couple of months!). Overall the experience was very positive and I look forward to the next one.

However, reading up on this thread, I have to say that it brought me down a little bit. The elitist ****e that some of you are talking is absolutely unbelievable. I absolutely get that some of you are frustrated by people starting in the wrong wave - it's understandable that you're worried about losing time having to weave through people, or whatever. But these disparaging remarks about 'joggers' and 'walkers' and 'f**king idiots', I think one person even said.... would you ever cop on! Either you must have been born running out of the womb, or you forget the first race you ever ran in. You were a beginner once, too - so don't forget that.

Not everyone is at a high standard of running - some people take these 'small' 5 mile runs on as a big challenge, and conquering them is just as much of a milestone to them as it is a practice run for you. Who do you think you are to talk so disparagingly about amateur/hobbyist runners? They have just as much of a right to be there as you do, and if they're in the 'wrong wave', then maybe you should petition the organisers to make the wave system more clear to entrants than it is.

Some of the comments on this thread really irritated me. Maybe you should organise your own elitist race for 'serious' runners who don't want to waste time running around plebs or beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

3 stars (average)
    Unless someone starts way too far back you have a lot of oppurtunity to put the boot down going up the hills after the kyber descent and use up whatever energy you saved while being stuck behind someone briefly.Also in the run in to the line for the last half mile i think it is easy enough to let rip then if you have it in the tank too.There are always people in wrong waves but you can let fly when you get the chance so in the end after you finish flat out you probably lost nothing of consequence anyway on reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

3 stars (average)
    People say the waved starts are great but I disagree. I don't see the point in having a group of runners who are going at a slower speed starting later. What really needs to be done is for the start area to be divided in to less broad time zones. Rather than having it down as sub 40, sub 50 etc, they could have clearly marked signs up at two minute intervals. This would avoid someone who is planning to run under 40 minutes starting beside someone who is planning to run it 10 minutes faster. Anyone who is running the race would have an idea of the time that they want to run within a few minutes at least. Lumping everyone in to areas where their expected finish time varies by 10 minutes is only going to cause issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I can see both sides of the arguement here, yes it is very annoying when you have to wait or weave to pass walkers but barging through is a little severe. I know I did have a few encounters myself today. A pair of walkers chatting away going up hill in the middle of the road. I was already finding the hill enough of a challenge without having to find the extra energy to weave around them so ended up cursing at them as I passed by.
    Then this other girl running up the hill further up, i tried to overtake her to her right and she suddenly decided to move right, then I went to overtake her on the left and she moved left. I ended up saying to her that no matter what way I tried to run past her she was there. Thought she was going to knock me out since she was bigger than me. ha.
    Anyway yeah I found it hard to believe that people were walking after about a mile and had obviously started up the front. Its even worse when they dont even try to walk towards the side of the road and to be honest they should know better even if they havnt run before or are entitled to run like anyone else. Its just common manners and consideration for others. You dont need to be elite or even very smart to realise that theres 100s trying to run past you and youre obstructing them and frustrating them and one of them may even have a nasty temper!

The idea above about educating people who are new to the experience is a great idea, mentioning in bold print in the race instruction pack that if you intend walking then you should start near the back or walk to the side of the road and also mentioning that the chip time is their race time and not gun time. I also think stewarts should have the right to pull them up and ask them not to obstruct traffic. Yes walkers and joggers and im not far off myself do have every right to be in the race but it is a 'race' series and elites and fast runners have trained very hard to improve their times and to some I imagine it is a huge part of their daily life training for these events.

I dont think smugness or thoughts of being elite weighs too much in this arguement since no matter how fast or good you think you are, theres always some **** whos faster and better ;))

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3 stars (average)
    Hi folks,

Just started running two months ago and did my first ever race today in the 5-miler in a time I was relatively happy with (and one I hope to build on in future races - definitely been bitten by the bug over the last couple of months!). Overall the experience was very positive and I look forward to the next one.

However, reading up on this thread, I have to say that it brought me down a little bit. The elitist ****e that some of you are talking is absolutely unbelievable. I absolutely get that some of you are frustrated by people starting in the wrong wave - it's understandable that you're worried about losing time having to weave through people, or whatever. But these disparaging remarks about 'joggers' and 'walkers' and 'f**king idiots', I think one person even said.... would you ever cop on! Either you must have been born running out of the womb, or you forget the first race you ever ran in. You were a beginner once, too - so don't forget that.

Not everyone is at a high standard of running - some people take these 'small' 5 mile runs on as a big challenge, and conquering them is just as much of a milestone to them as it is a practice run for you. Who do you think you are to talk so disparagingly about amateur/hobbyist runners? They have just as much of a right to be there as you do, and if they're in the 'wrong wave', then maybe you should petition the organisers to make the wave system more clear to entrants than it is.

Some of the comments on this thread really irritated me. Maybe you should organise your own elitist race for 'serious' runners who don't want to waste time running around plebs or beginners.

I've heard this before, the issue is not with people who take part and are just starting out, its with people who have no clue what wave to start in and don't ask when they are not sure.

I remenber last years race series where I rab past the same bunch of walkers in the 5 and 10 Mile walking despite me being in a wave 2, both times they had started in wave 1 and walked.

It is not an elitist attitude its a case that people need to read signs, or at least ask a Marshall if they are unsure.

The bay 10k did a really good job of enforcing waves last year, and the system the Mini Marathon has of proving results before allowing you into a wave could improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

hawkwing wrote: »
    Unless someone starts way too far back you have a lot of oppurtunity to put the boot down going up the hills after the kyber descent and use up whatever energy you saved while being stuck behind someone briefly.Also in the run in to the line for the last half mile i think it is easy enough to let rip then if you have it in the tank too.There are always people in wrong waves but you can let fly when you get the chance so in the end after you finish flat out you probably lost nothing of consequence anyway on reflection.
    That's exactly what I did put the welly down after the kyber and passed probably 100 people , I was only able to do that because I was running slower due to hold ups . It's the first time I have ever done anything like that and it was my highlight of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

3 stars (average)
    These big events are never going to be the place to get PBs. And anyway, me worrying about knocking a minute off my PB of 42 mins would have the lads doing it in ~30 mins rolling their eyes!!
    Everyone has their level, and even if I started at the top of wave 2 aiming for a 40 min finish its not unknown for me to have an off day and run it in 45! Would I be a nuisance then to the hundreds that would probably have to pass me?
    So I dont get too worried about these things, there are plenty other of smaller events where the only excuse for not hitting your target is your slow legs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, i've been running with a few years and done a few events with wave starts and plenty without wave starts. At every race, some people will always start in the wrong place, its human nature. And yes, i used to moan like hell about it too but after a while, you just shake your head and smile.

You can put the world of signs, announcements and notices but it doesn't make a difference. Some people are wrapped up in a ball of nerves or a world of their own that the Titanic could appear besides them at the start line and they wouldn't see it. You must remember that they probably have no clue what to do at a race as they are novices. Did we all learn to drive a car prefectly after one lesson? They will not learn until after doing a few races when the penny drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    For what its worth, I started mid-way thru the first wave and had zero problems at all - I thought it was really well done actually. But clearly there were problems wave 2 and 3, which is disappointing.

As I said in my report, "As I was going into wave 1, there was a large lady going in ahead of me, and the steward asked her what her goal time was, super politely, and she "only wanted to get around" so he explained the wave system to her, and she was perfectly happy to go back to wave 3"

that's how it should work - but if someone looks the part and goes into a wave there is not a lot you can do.

re: Walking early, don't forget these folks could be doing a Geoff Galloway Run-Walk thing, where he preaches that you should start walking a bit right from the start of races, and helps many many people compete marathons!

Advertisement