Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

received my pi yday. it is so tiny even with the packaging that the postman put it through the letterbox. :-)
    set it up from scratch in less than an hour.
    not yet tested the sound via hdmi.
    something for weekend testing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

matrim wrote: »
    I was late putting myself on the interested list but got this from Farrelll 2 days ago

I got that and two days later i was able to pre-order mine.

Also thanks Fysh, I guess I have a while yet to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Going to get tucked into this over the weekend.

Tesco had an 8GB SD card for €20 that is on the wiki as verified working.
    Going to pickup a blackberry charger on lunch as that should do as a power source.

Then its a weekend of messing ahead

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22003.htm

8GB SDHC for €6.99 from next week in Aldi

So im still looking around at the bits and pieces to be bought before even using this

8GB SDcard Check
    Mini USB cable with wall plug Check

Now I'm reading that the thing tends not to boot up without a keyboard plugged in? Surely not

I plan to do the minimal boot, get SSH and Remote desktop working and then unplug mouse and keyboard and let that be that

Surely this talk of a keyboard being required at all times is bogey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Oh baby! Let's get down n' dirty"

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1328

T85gC.jpg

Some great stuff in the MagPi today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Got my B version in the post last week but haven't set it up yet. I'm just wondering for those who have the pi whats your overall impressions?? I see on the official forums there is a lot of negativity with regards performance and its limitations. For me i intend to use it as a media center to play avi, mkv and a like but from reading what i did i'm not sure if it will even do that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

From what I've read, with the Fedora remix the first boot recommended configuration is to have it connected to a display, live network connection and a keyboard. If you don't it'll default into headless mode and you should be able to connect remotely, but obviously that means that you have to manually change the root password and so on.

As for the limitations, I kind of wonder what people were expecting to a certain extent. It's very early days yet and it's a relatively experimental port of XMBC that people are using, so expecting it to compare to a full x86 install on substantially more powerful hardware is a mug's game. So long as I can tinker and learn about building networks with Fedora I'll be happy. If I can ride someone else's coattails and get some sort of RasPiBoy system that'll run 8- and 16-bit emulators, I'd be delighted - but that's more silly fun than a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Fysh wrote: »
    As for the limitations, I kind of wonder what people were expecting to a certain extent. It's very early days yet and it's a relatively experimental port of XMBC that people are using, so expecting it to compare to a full x86 install on substantially more powerful hardware is a mug's game. So long as I can tinker and learn about building networks with Fedora I'll be happy. If I can ride someone else's coattails and get some sort of RasPiBoy system that'll run 8- and 16-bit emulators, I'd be delighted - but that's more silly fun than a necessity.

I think alot of people forget that it isn't meant to be a super great computer or a fully fledged media center, but rather a tool for learning and exploring.

As you've said, i'll mainly be using it for messing around with linux, learning the command line and all the powerful functions that it has. If the Raspbmc port ends up being amazing then that will be a huge plus, otherwise i'm not worried about it as XBMC is so widely available as it is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

TheDoc wrote: »
    http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22003.htm

8GB SDHC for €6.99 from next week in Aldi

Class 4 though. Quite slow for using with the Pi but would probably be grand if you're on a budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

.....and a Beagleboard-XM coming in from Farnell at €157.10 (incl or exl VAT?) I think I'll give it a miss. Had I not saw the Pi I probably wouldn't have bought any ARM computer board tbh.

But for people who need more CPU power this would be a great step up from the Pi.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Got my pi up and running and have been doing some browsing. The next step for me is to be able to play media files. I don't see a media player in the OS. I have read that XBMC or VLC players would be a option but can't for the life of me find out how to install either. This is my first experience of Debian/Linux. How do i install these programs on my pi???

If it's debian, open up a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install vlc

It will do everything else for you - download vlc and any dependencies, extract and install them and set up the shortcuts etc. This is one of the joys of linux IMO. Safe software from trusted sources installed and updated without any fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Mine arrived in work on Friday but I wont get my hands on it till Tuesday as I was off with my son suffering chicken pox nnnnnnnooooooooooooo :(

Got my pi up and running and have been doing some browsing. The next step for me is to be able to play media files. I don't see a media player in the OS. I have read that XBMC or VLC players would be a option but can't for the life of me find out how to install either. This is my first experience of Debian/Linux. How do i install these programs on my pi???

There's also OMXplayer , a terminal-based program that uses the GPU to play video, codec support is limited to h.264 iirc.

Khannie wrote: »
    If it's debian, open up a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install vlc

It will do everything else for you - download vlc and any dependencies, extract and install them and set up the shortcuts etc. This is one of the joys of linux IMO. Safe software from trusted sources installed and updated without any fuss.

I tried this method and it got so far but then it was giving a file 404 error and suggesting i use the update command.

To install OMXplayer would i use the same method sudo apt-get install omxplayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Mine arrived in work on Friday but I wont get my hands on it till Tuesday as I was off with my son suffering chicken pox nnnnnnnooooooooooooo :(

Too late for you, but a vaccine is available, both of my kids got it recently. Yay science.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

ninja900 wrote: »
    Too late for you, but a vaccine is available, both of my kids got it recently. Yay science.
    Still may get it, mild dose.

Edit:
    What are the ingredients of VARIVAX?
    Active Ingredient: a weakened form of chickenpox virus.
    Inactive Ingredients: sucrose, hydrolyzed gelatin, sodium chloride, monosodium L-glutamate, sodium
    phosphate dibasic, potassium phosphate monobasic, potassium chloride, residual components of MRC-5
    cells including DNA and protein, sodium phosphate monobasic, EDTA, neomycin, fetal bovine serum.

fetal bovine serum

oh%20god.png?1316467507

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

TheDoc wrote: »
    Going to get tucked into this over the weekend.

Tesco had an 8GB SD card for €20 that is on the wiki as verified working.
    Going to pickup a blackberry charger on lunch as that should do as a power source.

Then its a weekend of messing ahead

I think my Blackberry playbook charger will be perfect for it.
    ninja900 wrote: »

Still may get it, mild dose.

Edit:

fetal bovine serum

oh%20god.png?1316467507

I'm happy for him to get it the old fashioned way but my other son who had it a couple of weeks ago had about 20-30 spots. The youngest who has it now has about 200-300 spots. Some in very painful "male" places. Fair play though he's holding up. I got it at 21 years of age and was a whiney whiney patient.

• Advertisement

I tried this method and it got so far but then it was giving a file 404 error and suggesting i use the update command.

To install OMXplayer would i use the same method sudo apt-get install omxplayer?

Did you try entering 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get upgrade' at the terminal? Then try installing it again.

For OMXplayer, it isn't in the repositories. At your home directory, and at a terminal:

(anything followed by a # is a comment, don't type it. Just type the commands in bold. Also I'm not at a Linux box right now, I may miss something)
    # switches to home
    cd ~

# downloads omxplayer-make-debian-package.tar.xz into your home directory
    wget http://seyrsnys.myzen.co.uk/rpi/omxplayer-make-debian-package.tar.xz

# unpacks omxplayer tar into own folder (J is case-sensitive, type as a capital)
    tar -xvJf omxplayer-make-debian-package.tar.xz

# change to debs directory
    cd debs

# packages debs directory into installable package
    dpkg -b omxplayer /tmp/omxplayer_0.0.1-arm.deb

# switch to /tmp, install the built package
    cd /tmp
    dpkg -i omxplayer_0.0.1-arm.deb

# install any other dependencies
    sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get update
    then
    sudo apt-get install <softwarename>

If you want to search for something try:
    apt-cache search <name>
    e.g. apt-cache search mplayer

I'm not sure if synaptic comes with that debian distro you're running. It's a GUI frontend for apt. Try running sudo synaptic. It has search facilities, etc.

For anyone having issues mounting

Unfortunately the mount commands didnt work for me.

The following did however

sudo mount.cifs //IP/folder/ /mnt/NAS -o username=username,password=pas­sword

Using Debian Squeeze and a Netgear stora

To update how I'm getting on, I've done the following

SABnzbd
    Sickbeard
    Couchpotato
    Headphnes
    Irssi
    Screen

All up and running, also got my NAS mounted relatively easy without issue :)

Very impressed, good decent performance, granted the web UI for the sickbeard etc a little slow, its doing very well and managing my downloads nicely while also acting as a IRC bouncer

Did you try entering 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get upgrade' at the terminal? Then try installing it again.

For OMXplayer, it isn't in the repositories. At your home directory, and at a terminal:

(anything followed by a # is a comment, don't type it. Just type the commands in bold. Also I'm not at a Linux box right now, I may miss something)

I got VLC player running so my next task is to be able to stream media from my Windows PC and play it using the pi. Also to be able to control the pi remotely using a windows pc would be handy. What software are people using to achieve such tasks??

Setuo

#raspi.ie on quakenet.org for anyone that uses irc.

Working lovely managing my downloads and as an irc bouncer so far

Well two noticable problems with the PI

Because it writes to SD card, the download speeds are horrendous. The actual download of data is fine, its actually about 12MB/s download speed to the device, but for it to write the data to the SD card is rubbish. I'm going to mount an external hard drive permanently to see if it makes it any better.

Also just had the machine crash, was doing nothing, it was running idle, as it has been the last ten or so hours. Have tried unplugging etc. and cannot get SSH access into the machine,

Rather annoying, as I dont want to hook it all back up to mointor, nor have to do a reformat considering the amount of work I've put into it so far.

Recommend people take plenty of backups (youtube how) as it seems a bit volatile.

Go away and get yourself a Sandisk Extreme SD Card, they've gone dirt cheap on amazon and mymemory in the last few weeks, and would be closer to the speed of an external HDD.

What SD Card are you using right now?

It may not be the fault of the Pi at all.

Fellow boards member Steve SI has put a 3.5" LCD in his Pi powered Gameboy PC!

Head on over to his thread in the Arcade and Retro forum to see a video and more pics:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79121888#post79121888

dsc1660b.jpg

waveform wrote: »
    Go away and get yourself a Sandisk Extreme SD Card, they've gone dirt cheap on amazon and mymemory in the last few weeks, and would be closer to the speed of an external HDD.

What SD Card are you using right now?

It may not be the fault of the Pi at all.

Using a generic one, but the PI community forums, where users are running the same project mentioned the write speeds for what I need will be faster with an external HDD.

Noticable differences already

• Advertisement

Getting a bit too frequent now that I cant SSH into my raspberry pi. It appears to just drop off its internet connection or something every so often,

getting pretty annoying have to reboot it and setup all the little **** again, since it doesnt remember certain things

Advertisement