Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The game is a lot tighter now, defenses are a lot meaner etc. Look at SOB from last year to this, players know what he's going to and eventually he'll adapt his game to deal with it, same with POC. I'm sure POC would love to carry the ball for 50m's but everyone knows he ones of the few carriers Munster have left so they target him. POC still has poor hands, relatively, for such an important carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The thing that is annoying about POC carrying, is he always seems to pop up in the backline at a standing start when you really don't want him there, and he kills the speed of the move. He is good for making the hard yards and recycling, he just needs to carry in the right areas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Or John Kelly, one of the most intelligent backs we've had. Much like Dowling, did the right thing nearly all the time.

If he has been a bit quicker he could have been truly excellent. Shame really, though still did very well.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If he has been a bit quicker he could have been truly excellent. Shame really, though still did very well.

If we could get his brain into Zebo (work faster science, dammit), we'd have a hell of a player.

Tox56 wrote: »
    The thing that is annoying about POC carrying, is he always seems to pop up in the backline at a standing start when you really don't want him there, and he kills the speed of the move. He is good for making the hard yards and recycling, he just needs to carry in the right areas.

Moreso for Munster I'd have thought, and that's because we have zero penetration in the backs. Hate to see it myself but I can see why we have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'm sure POC would love to carry the ball for 50m's but everyone knows he ones of the few carriers Munster have left so they target him. POC still has poor hands, relatively, for such an important carrier.

I love the man, but POC was never a renowned ball carrier in my eyes...

And now Jones is injured, wtf?

Murphy is starting at fullback tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I always thought Kelly would have made a good 13 but I only saw him play there once. Dowling, meh, people seem to have rosier memories of him then me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I always thought Kelly would have made a good 13 but I only saw him play there once. Dowling, meh, people seem to have rosier memories of him then me.

I think Dowling was effective in the style of game Munster were playing, but I would never have considered him an "intelligent" player like Kelly. He simply had good defence and was a decent runner with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I think Dowling was effective in the style of game Munster were playing, but I would never have considered him an "intelligent" player like Kelly. He simply had good defence and was a decent runner with ball in hand.

i.e. we didn't use wingers as anything other then an extra flanker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,819 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Penney has a truckload of work to do when he takes over. I've never seen Munster lack so much grunt up forward. Only POM will take any credit from the game this evening. The set piece has been appalling and the back play has been clueless. It's clear to see that DOC offers absolutely nothing positive anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Penney has a truckload of work to do when he takes over. I've never seen Munster lack so much grunt up forward. Only POM will take any credit from the game this evening. The set piece has been appalling and the back play has been clueless. It's clear to see that DOC offers absolutely nothing positive anymore.

POC, Leamy, Wallace and Coughlan all injured. That's a massive absence of grunt tonight. Varley contributes in this regard too and he's out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

McGahan took over the greatest team in Europe and turned them into this. It is going to be a bleak couple of years for Rob Penny. He has **** all to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think the McGahan criticism is unwarranted.

He's not been our best coach ever but that performance is not reflective of his tenure. Players get older, he had a lot of rebuilding too, now we need a new face to bring us on further.

I'm just sad that players like Micko had to end on that note.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Munster team is missing a lot of quaity. If the Ospreys had the injuries Munster had the score would be the other way around.

The team for next year will be better.

ROG probably thought he played brilliantly though, fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The Munster team is missing a lot of quaity. If the Ospreys had the injuries Munster had the score would be the other way around.

The team for next year will be better.

Penney coming in is a good thing, he will look at players with an unjaundiced eye & won't be swayed by reputations, if he thinks Rog isn't up to it anymore, he'll make that call.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think the McGahan criticism is unwarranted.

He's not been our best coach ever but that performance is not reflective of his tenure. Players get older, he had a lot of rebuilding too, now we need a new face to bring us on further.

I'm just sad that players like Micko had to end on that note.

Players getting older is not a new phenomenon. Every coach should shoulder blame if he allowed his team contain a plateau of ageing stars without giving adequate development time to potential replacements.

Not just in sports. In an office, if the most important person is 60, due to retire in 5 years, and you put off training in a new replacement for 1 year, then 2 years, then ......

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I can't understand why we persist with sending individual runners into heavy traffic.

One of 2 things happen:
    1. You get turned over
    2. You don't take the contact on your own terms, you can't present the ball properly, and your 9 has rubbish ball to work with.

Any half decent professional outfit can counter that. Wyn-Jones, Jones, Evans, Tipuric & Bearman destroyed it.

Basic stuff. I know we were missing quality players, but we could have at least gone about the game in the right way.

Players getting older is not a new phenomenon. Every coach should shoulder blame if he allowed his team contain a plateau of ageing stars without giving adequate development time to potential replacements.

Not just in sports. In an office, if the most important person is 60, due to retire in 5 years, and you put off training in a new replacement for 1 year, then 2 years, then ......

But McGahan did start developing players. The players are coming through now, but Kidney left him in a pretty poor place by neglecting youth development.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did anyone heat The Last Word this evening?

Neil Francis was saying that Penny wants to take a few of the players and back room staff from Canterbury with him to Munster.

• Advertisement

But McGahan did start developing players. The players are coming through now, but Kidney left him in a pretty poor place by neglecting youth development.

When did he start? Day one? Day two? It took years for it to happen. I was ranting and raving about it back in 2010!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did anyone heat The Last Word this evening?

Neil Francis was saying that Penny wants to take a few of the players and back room staff from Canterbury with him to Munster.

Well he can't really bring a few of the players. We can only sign 1 more project player and that's it.
    When did he start? Day one? Day two? It took years for it to happen. I was ranting and raving about it back in 2010!

If he hadn't started doing something back in 2010, players wouldn't be ready to come through this year. You can't just make a HC-standard player out of nothing. And a lot more players have come through this season and last season than had during the Kidney era.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well he can't really bring a few of the players. We can only sign 1 more project player and that's it.
    Maybe he knows who has Irish grandparents

Maybe he knows who has Irish grandparents

Well hopefully he can find a few :D

Couple of Nacewa/Warwick-like players who just happen to have Irish grandparents would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Indeed. Kidney is the real villain in the decline of Munster.

Indeed. Kidney is the real villain in the decline of Munster.

To be honest, proper underage structures and academy development officers and stuff should be in place regardless of who the coach is. Obviously he can't be forced to play the players but the whole youth structure got left behind while the other provinces were making huge strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,819 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Keatley looked half decent this evening. If he develops well under Penney than maybe ROG won't be picked as often.

Clegg wrote: »
    Keatley looked half decent this evening. If he develops well under Penney than maybe ROG won't be picked as often.

Yeah I was impressed by him. Considering there must have been a certain amount of pressure on him, he did fairly well. And even when things were going badly, he looked willing to try stuff, which is good.

One thing I will say in criticism of McGahan is that Keatley really should have started one HC game this year at out-half. Any maybe another at 12 outside ROG, where he could learn from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

CatFromHue wrote: »

I'm really hope someone told him about the NIQ rule before he signed the contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Funniest comment I've read here for a while - brought a smile to my face after a dire evening. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement