Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Lelantos wrote: »
    I'm quite sure that the British Olympic board were certain of their ground when banning Chambers for life, look where that got them. All any player has to do is take a case regarding restriction of work practice based on nationality, and that will end up being a very messy courtcase, win lose or draw

No player would take that case, imo, as it would damage their future employment in a finite career. Nacewa, or whoever, would just take an offer from somewhere else.

It's also unlikely they would win any case, imo. The IRFU are allowed to give contracts to whoever they want, but if they lost the case they'd simply stop bringing in as many NIQ's altogether and force Munster to send second rows and hookers to Leinster, Leinster to send an outhalf to Munster etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There'd also be a question of time frame. I'm sure Chambers case took a while to formulate, then to be seen, and then to get a judgement.

Nacewa would realistically have to start working in his case now to have any chance of having a judgement by the time his contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Doesn't have to be taken by a branch, 1 player can do so.
    Judge; why can't you play on beyond 2013 Mr Nacewa?
    Isa: because I'm not Irish!
    That is illegal, and the laws of the land outweigh the rules of a game, the first province, or player that tackles this will land the irfu in a load of trouble

Surely this would only apply for players inside the EU. Don't all players outside the EU have to apply for work permits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Roanmore wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be taken by a branch, 1 player can do so.
    Judge; why can't you play on beyond 2013 Mr Nacewa?
    Isa: because I'm not Irish!
    That is illegal, and the laws of the land outweigh the rules of a game, the first province, or player that tackles this will land the irfu in a load of trouble

Surely this would only apply for players inside the EU. Don't all players outside the EU have to apply for work permits?
    No, as stated previously players like Warwick, Nacewa have Irish wives, or Irish passport holding kids, no need for work visa,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Gentlemen, can the discussion on the legalities of the IRFU's restrictions on NIQ players be kept out of the Munster thread please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Any word yet or rumours to who the new backs coach might be? Im guessing penney might come up with an unknown from the southern hemisphere. It will be an interesting appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Any word yet or rumours to who the new backs coach might be? Im guessing penney might come up with an unknown from the southern hemisphere. It will be an interesting appointment

Who has he worked with before?

His assistant in New Zealand was a guy named Tabai Matson, A former center with Canterbury, the Crusaders and Brive.

http://www.crusaders.co.nz/profile/tabai-matson/50/player-details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

His assistant in New Zealand was a guy named Tabai Matson, A former center with Canterbury, the Crusaders and Brive.

No need to shout! Some of us are trying to work. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just heard that ROG will be on the bench for the Ospreys game.

POM has been named captain.

Edit: Didn't know there was a match thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clegg wrote: »
    Just heard that ROG will be on the bench for the Ospreys game.

POM has been named captain.

shhh, Munster were trying to keep it from the Ospreys, there's even a media blackout.

No need to shout! Some of us are trying to work. :mad:

Im very sorry for using the incorrect font. I hope your day recovered after :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

LOL - check out how slow Jason Holland is at 3:25...

And YKIES - look how fast O'Connell is at 4.45!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ROG is probably the best passer of the ball to ever play for Munster. The pass for the Hayes try there was just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

3:45 = ligind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Fireball07 wrote: »
    ROG is probably the best passer of the ball to ever play for Munster. The pass for the Hayes try there was just brilliant.

Seeing old videos really does make you question how ROG believes that he is currently playing some of his best rugby. There was a period of ~4 years from that season on where he was the best OH in the NH. His passing was top notch and his kicking game was near peerless. He also had a very good running game and was even top try scorer in the 6N.

Seeing old videos really does make you question how ROG believes that he is currently playing some of his best rugby. There was a period of ~4 years from that season on where he was the best OH in the NH. His passing was top notch and his kicking game was near peerless. He also had a very good running game and was even top try scorer in the 6N.

Yeah, i'd say that's fair enough. Still let's see why a new backs coach brings...

I don't know if he really believes that he's playing his best rugby now...if he honestly does, then he's severely underrating his past performances as well as overrating his current ones. Age catches up with people. He's still good but he was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The carrying from the Munster forwards there is on a different planet to what we see now. Hayes didn't carry as well as he did for his try for the last 5 or so years of his career and I don't think I can recall POC making yards like that since before 2005. He didn't look to go to ground, pumped the legs, attacked the weak shoulder and went for it. It's something that has really hurt Munster in the last year. Too many players who are all grunt. Foley, Quinlan, Leamy, Galwey and Sheahan all looking very aggressive and mobile with the ball in hand compared to the efforts of the last 2 years when any carry like they were making there would stand out in a game.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    The carrying from the Munster forwards there is on a different planet to what we see now. Hayes didn't carry as well as he did for his try for the last 5 or so years of his career and I don't think I can recall POC making yards like that since before 2005. He didn't look to go to ground, pumped the legs, attacked the weak shoulder and went for it. It's something that has really hurt Munster in the last year. Too many players who are all grunt. Foley, Quinlan, Leamy, Galwey and Sheahan all looking very aggressive and mobile with the ball in hand compared to the efforts of the last 2 years when any carry like they were making there would stand out in a game.

I agree totally with you on this and its a big part of what's wrong with us imo. We only have Ryan, coughlan and POM getting to that level now a days. POC is still a class act even if he isn't as athletic as before. He probably evolved a fair bit as a player in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

POC is a better technical ball carrier in the past two years as he ever was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Jason Holland was even slower than I remembered.

Feckin love Mikey Mullins. Hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

POC is a better technical ball carrier in the past two years as he ever was then.
    You give POC the ball, you know what's going to happen, he's going to make the hard yards, take the ball into contact & try to tie up 2 men to give others around him the chance to make space. Granted, this hasn't always worked this season, but its thru no fault of Paul's

Flincher wrote: »
    Jason Holland was even slower than I remembered.

Feckin love Mikey Mullins. Hero.

What we could have done with someone like Mullins this year.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    What we could have done with someone like Mullins this year.

Or John Kelly, one of the most intelligent backs we've had. Much like Dowling, did the right thing nearly all the time.

:confused:

POC has gone through games with stats like 22 carries for 17 yards. He takes the ball from a standing start far too often.

I fully subscribe to the idea that often someone who can guarantee replacement of the ball is used to get guys off the floor from the previous ruck, "turning bad ball into good", and that POC is used in this regard fairly relentlessly, but I defintely couldn't see him carrying ball and breaking a line and getting an offload away as Tuohy, Ryan, McCarthy have all done this season.

POC has a massive bag of tricks, but being a potent carrier is not one of them.

:confused:

POC has gone through games with stats like 22 carries for 17 yards. He takes the ball from a standing start far too often.

I fully subscribe to the idea that often someone who can guarantee replacement of the ball is used to get guys off the floor from the previous ruck, "turning bad ball into good", and that POC is used in this regard fairly relentlessly, but I defintely couldn't see him carrying ball and breaking a line and getting an offload away as Tuohy, Ryan, McCarthy have all done this season.

POC has a massive bag of tricks, but being a potent carrier is not one of them.
    I never said he was?

I never said he was?

well if by technically better, you mean technically better at not carrying the ball well?

• Advertisement

I never said he was?

well if by technically better, you mean technically better at not carrying the ball well?
    He is far better at carrying the ball now than he ever was then! Far less errors and he is getting the ball out far more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement