Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Remember something burst out of the space jockeys chest .... This will happen in this film and Ridley Scott has hinted in an empire interview that it will be a xenomorph ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ok, you stick with your conspiracy theories!

So its set in the same universe, with the same elements (Weyland / humans / SpaceJockeys + ship / Xenomorphs) - but its not an Alien film...

Conspiracy theory? Me? How? You are the one who thinks the studio, the director, the writer and the cast are lying about this not being an Alien prequel, and that they are doing this to intentionally mislead everyone.
    Personally, I don't think Scott is that clever, or stupid.

Its going to give us an introduction to the Xeno's, and provide a bit of a genesis story for them. Just because every second scene may not involve one, doesn't mean the premise of the film does not focus on their creation etc
    But that's the thing: everything Lindelof has said suggests the film doesn't focus on that.

Look, if being set in the same universe makes this a prequel in your view, then that's fine. What I'm disputing is your argument that they are lying/misleading people when they say this isn't an Alien prequel. None of us have seen the film, so we don't know. But they obviously feel this film is different enough to not be considered a prequel. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Part of me wonders if that was less misdirection and more a strategic decision in trying to initially separate the movie from the previous (let's be honest tainted) franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jcf wrote: »
    whats the difference between a direct prequel and one set before in teh same universe?
    A prequel is series of events in the same story arc. (eg episodes 1-3 of Star Wars were prequels as they were clearly about events directly leading up to episodes 4-6.)
    This film is set in the same universe, but not a prequel. The events that will take place are canonical with the events of the film, but they are for the msot part not directly related. There could be some crossover of single events. (Eg. The DC universe. Tony Stark appearing in Hulk, Hawkeye in Thor. All the events are occuring the the same universe, but are separate arcs. Although, the arcs will merging with the avengers)

The other situation would be same story/character but separate universes. (eg Burton vrs Nolan's Batman)
    People want an Alien film, and everything that goes with it. That means Aliens!

Sure, it may well be a different timeline, not have any direct relationship with the original(s) - but make no mistake, this is / will be an Alien film 100%.

If they came out and said. it's an alien prequel. People would assume a remake, be disappointed if the aliens were central etc.
    If they said its not a prequel and it ends up being complete about aliens (it clearly isn't) people would universally making little :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: faces.

But this way. "It's not a prequel - but same universe". People are getting excited about every little refererence to the original. Very clever marketing in terms of promotion, and even more so in terms of just letting the script be judged on its own merits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Duggy - we've more or less established that was all BS to throw us off the scent. This will be a fully fledged Alien movie. There's a chest burster in the clips ffs.

when did "we" establish this? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds like Ridley has given in to PG-13, but is being forced to make even more cuts:
    He also expressed frustration at the MPAA’s seemingly random approach to ratings, saying he wanted Prometheus to get a rating “that allows it to make as much money as possible. I know the importance of that. When a big film fails, it’s disastrous for all of us.” But he also blasted some of the “films this year that have got PG-13 ratings – it’s absolutely ****ing ludicrous. So MPAA, get your house in order.”

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/prometheus-londons-footage-screening-and-q-a-with-scott-theron-fassbender-rapace

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've been assuming all along that it's set in the same universe, it'll feature xenomorphs/face-huggers/chest-bursters in some form or other, and maybe other bits of mythology from the Alien films, but they won't be the central premise of the film. They won't be the central plot line, therefore it's not a direct prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Conspiracy theory? Me? How? You are the one who thinks the studio, the director, the writer and the cast are lying about this not being an Alien prequel, and that they are doing this to intentionally mislead everyone.

But that's the thing: everything Lindelof has said suggests the film doesn't focus on that.

Look, if being set in the same universe makes this a prequel in your view, then that's fine. What I'm disputing is your argument that they are lying/misleading people when they say this isn't an Alien prequel. None of us have seen the film, so we don't know. But they obviously feel this film is different enough to not be considered a prequel. That's all I'm saying.

You seem to want to focus on the fact I said it is a prequel. I never once said it was a prequel. I said I believe this is / will be an Alien film. And I still believe that.

But prequel? No.

hang on, its on the same rock as they found the original ship (LV??) , the space jockey is there ...the ship is there seems like a prequel to me, maybe it wont feature the xenos (i think it will make an appearance at the end) but for me it's a prequel.

lets see..

. oh yeah and this rating bullsh'it , it could ruin the film, why are they aiming this movie at kids ? they won't have a clue about the alien film ... its a shame when something is so popular - it can be it's own downfall..

You seem to want to focus on the fact I said it is a prequel. I never once said it was a prequel. I said I believe this is / will be an Alien film. And I still believe that.

But prequel? No.

Alien film/Alien prequel, same thing IMO. You said the premise of the film will be the origin of the xenomorph. That sounds like a prequel to me. It's a matter of focus. I don't think being set in the same universe and having some of the same elements necessarily makes this an Alien film.

But lets pick up this debate after the film has been released and we've seen it. Because neither of us know what we're talking about at the moment and only have what Scott/Lindelof have said and a potentially misleading trailer to go on. It's quite possible, like Oafley said, they are trying to distance themselves from the old franchise while throwing in enough of the old elements to interest Alien fans. Being a standalone film and an Alien prequel aren't necessarily incompatible. It may well be both depending on how you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hang on, its on the same rock as they found the original ship (LV??) , the space jockey is there ...the ship is there seems like a prequel to me, maybe it wont feature the xenos (i think it will make an appearance at the end) but for me it's a prequel.

We don't know its LV-426, I wouldn't think it is tbh. I think it could be the planet the crashed ship on LV-426 left from maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think it's hard to deny that the xenomorph will be involved (see the still from the last trailer I posted a few pages back), but I reckon a xenomorph appearance will only bookend the film.

I'd be willing t bet that the film will more or less have nothing to do with the xenomorph itself. In the recent Empire spread on the film, when asked about a possible Xenomorph appearance, Lindelof made an analogy of going to a Rolling Stones concert; at some point you'll be expecting them to play Sympathy for the Devil.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We don't know its LV-426, I wouldn't think it is tbh. I think it could be the planet the crashed ship on LV-426 left from maybe.

It won't be on LV-426 but instead on LV-223

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p1219

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Just from viewing the trailer, I can assume.

We see the
    ship crash, which I presume is after the pilot space jockey dies after a chestburst ergo, xenomorph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sounds like Ridley has given in to PG-13, but is being forced to make even more cuts:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/prometheus-londons-footage-screening-and-q-a-with-scott-theron-fassbender-rapace

I don't doubt his sincerity when it comes to inconsistency from the ratings boards, but I question how hard he really tried to get permission for an R cut approved by Fox; given that Ridley isn't adverse to Director's cuts? Perhaps he's thinking he can have his cake and eat it. I wonder what 1979 Scott would have done.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Just from viewing the trailer, I can assume.

We see the
    ship crash, which I presume is after the pilot space jockey dies after a chestburst ergo, xenomorph.

Actually
    Prometheus crashes into the Space Jockey ship, killing Idris Elba in the process :(

I don't doubt his sincerity when it comes to inconsistency from the ratings boards, but I question how hard he really tried to get permission for an R cut approved by Fox; given that Ridley isn't adverse to Director's cuts? Perhaps he's thinking he can have his cake and eat it. I wonder what 1979 Scott would have done.

In fairness to him, it's a lot of money that isn't his. He wants the studio to make back their investment. He wasn't that much different in 1979. When push comes to shove, Scott has always compromised to studio demands and carried out their wishes. Blade Runner isn't the cut and dry case it is often made out to be. He puts up a good fight during production, but when post-production comes he tends to crack. Most directors are the same. They know they can't win and would rather live to fight anther day than throw away their career over one film. Lonergan will be lucky if he ever directs another film again after what happened with Margaret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Another assumption would be that the script will link Prometheus with the Original Alien
    by having the Distress signal sent from the ship set by the last survivor from the Prometheus crew, and it is this SOS/Warning which is picked up by the Nostromo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Balls to that, I'm not too pushed about the rating but when they have to be making cuts that were un-intended its not a good sign. THe tone of the trailers is not one thats going to have kids going to see this, if they're not marketing it for kids then why rate it as a kids movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I assume we'll get a 18s rated director's cut anyway right...right?
    al28283 wrote: »
    I fail to see what name recognition and star quality have to do with anything regarding Prometheus, the acting could be exceptional.

...did you even bother to read the post I quoted? I didn't bring up 'name recognition' or 'star quality', someone else did and I dismissed both of these aspects as irrelevant. However, I've seen a number of the American actors listed in the cast and they are just out and out bad. In saying that, they'll probably be the first ones killed off so whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Awful shame, but from looking at the trailers, I knew that they'd be hard pushed to get a PG13 rating.

For one, the scene with
    Shaw in some sort of chamber with that squid monster surely is pushing the envelope beyond PG13, especially if the rumours of Shaw giving birth to that thing are true.

It's crunch time for Ridley Scott, he really needs to fight every step of the way on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

My Prometheus predictions. Based on the trailers and from what we've scene
    The crew of the Prometheus discover a chamber of primordial goo left behind by the space jockeys.
    This goo is a type of life-form which instantly tries to latch onto any living creature that comes into contact with it, like Spider-man's black suit. It burrows under the skin and takes over the host, like a parasite. It's like the primordial goo that humans evolved from, in prehistoric times.
    This goo has never assumed any complex shape before, as it has never come into contact with any complex host before. That is, until the humans arrive.
    The goo wriggles into the eye of one crew member and starts to take over him, turning him evil and monstrous.
    The infection spreads. "Cut it out!" someone screams in the trailer.
    The infected crew members start to developed hard, scaly, black armoured skin. In effect, they turn into something a lot like the aliens (xeno-morphs) we know from the other movies.
    The infected crew members continue to change and evolve beyond their human DNA into the actual xeno-morphs.
    And so, to borrow a line from Ridley Scott, humans and Aliens "share the same DNA", and aliens are partly descended from mankind. It's why they can stand upright and are four-limbed humanoids.
    But, in turn, it is likely that humans are descended from the goo created by the space jockeys which was planted on Earth millions of years.
    The space jockeys create man. And man accidentally creates the Aliens.

I think it's hard to deny that the xenomorph will be involved (see the still from the last trailer I posted a few pages back), but I reckon a xenomorph appearance will only bookend the film.

I'd be willing t bet that the film will more or less have nothing to do with the xenomorph itself. In the recent Empire spread on the film, when asked about a possible Xenomorph appearance, Lindelof made an analogy of going to a Rolling Stones concert; at some point you'll be expecting them to play Sympathy for the Devil.

Scott has said that the last 8 minutes of the movie will have a lot in common with Alien but that there will be Xeno's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

From the posters from the original version of Alien, Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires (aka Terrore Nello Spazio):

10,000 years ago or 10,000 years to come, are they beings of the future or of the past, these "men" who rule the demon planet?

So, I'll guess a time travel plot.

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p1219

Empire seem pretty convinced this will be a prequel.

And I'd tend to side with them. There are just too many things linking Prometheus with the Alien films (or more specifically, Alien).

So while to me a 'prequel' would lead directly to the film set after it, tying story lines together etc, I don't believe this will be so.

Its quite possible that they are trying to link Prometheus to Alien quite deliberately, and will make out that the reason the Nostromo was sent after a 'distress' call to LV426, was because of what they'd learnt from LV223.

The entire mission in Prometheus may simply have been covered up in order to plan another expedition when the opportunity arose (Nostromo).

My Prometheus predictions. Based on the trailers and from what we've scene
    The crew of the Prometheus discover a chamber of primordial goo left behind by the space jockeys.
    This goo is a type of life-form which instantly tries to latch onto any living creature that comes into contact with it, like Spider-man's black suit. It burrows under the skin and takes over the host, like a parasite. It's like the primordial goo that humans evolved from, in prehistoric times.
    This goo has never assumed any complex shape before, as it has never come into contact with any complex host before. That is, until the humans arrive.
    The goo wriggles into the eye of one crew member and starts to take over him, turning him evil and monstrous.
    The infection spreads. "Cut it out!" someone screams in the trailer.
    The infected crew members start to developed hard, scaly, black armoured skin. In effect, they turn into something a lot like the aliens (xeno-morphs) we know from the other movies.
    The infected crew members continue to change and evolve beyond their human DNA into the actual xeno-morphs.
    And so, to borrow a line from Ridley Scott, humans and Aliens "share the same DNA", and aliens are partly descended from mankind. It's why they can stand upright and are four-limbed humanoids.
    But, in turn, it is likely that humans are descended from the goo created by the space jockeys which was planted on Earth millions of years.
    The space jockeys create man. And man accidentally creates the Aliens.

I really really hope this is wrong ....

the infected crew member sh*te has been done to death before...

I really really hope this is wrong ....

the infected crew member sh*te has been done to death before...

yea that sounds awful, plus i believe Scott said that this movie and Alien "share the same DNA", i never heard him say the aliens and humans did

al28283 wrote: »
    yea that sounds awful, plus i believe Scott said that this movie and Alien "share the same DNA", i never heard him say the aliens and humans did

Which I took as meaning they are both made of the same constituent parts.

Humans+Space+Jockey Ship+Xeno+death=Alien
    Humans+Space+Jockey Ship+Xeno+death=Prometheus.

How they all come together can be completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You left out Jones the cat.

At least if the crew of Prometheus don't wander off to look for the cat while a killer alien is loose on board, it'll be a bit less stupid than Alien was.

• Advertisement

Which I took as meaning they are both made of the same constituent parts.

How they all come together can be completely different.

well the full thing Scott said was that the last 8 minutes of prometheus shares the sames dna as Alien, but that was the same interview when he said the xeno wuoldnt be in the movie

Advertisement