Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Well done Connacht, great result, especially in Rodney Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

Full time 27-19

Great win for Connacht. Somehow they nearly managed to lose it. Second away win this season. Sounded like we played nearly the whole second half with 14 men. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Nice to get a few points on the road. Well done lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

seanin4711 wrote: »
    on for a minute and in the bin,
    bad bad bad!!!

Never mind that great win!!!!
    FETTS is on fire great to see him getting a couple of tries!!!!

By sounds of it if he hadn't given away the penalty it was a certain try, can't really complain...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Vainikolo sounded dangerous any time he was on the ball. Ran over Chavanga for one of his tries and was unlucky not to make the hat trick. Great to see that he's settled in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    Vainikolo sounded dangerous any time he was on the ball. Ran over Chavanga for one of his tries and was unlucky not to make the hat trick. Great to see that he's settled in.

Yeah, took a while to get going but he's playing well now. I presume he's contracted for next season...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

2 year contract afaik

great result :D

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/13678.php
    Vainikolo inspires Connacht's Dragons taming

Winger Fetu'u Vainikolo scored a try at the start of each half to give Connacht only their second away win in the RaboDirect PRO12 in their surprise 27-19 defeat of Newport Gwent Dragons.

Connacht's last win on the road came in the opening round defeat of Treviso and the Dragons had been enjoying their best form of the season with four wins in five games.

Darren Edwards also had the luxury of being able to start three Wales Grand Slam winners - Dan Lydiate, Toby Faletau and Luke Charteris - but the formbook largely went out the window at Rodney Parade.

Vainikolo's pair of tries - on 10 and 41 minutes - proved decisive with Connacht fly-half Miah Nikora exchanging five penalties to his opposite number Lewis Robling's four while Faletau's late try proving in vain for the hosts.

It had been the Dragons who took the lead when Connacht infringed at a maul and Robling slotted the resulting penalty although that would be the last time they had the lead.

The visitors, who had made much of the early running, moved the ball at speed to Vainikolo who skipped his way around the home defence to run in from 22m with Nikora converting.

After Robling reduced the deficit with a booming 50m effort, Kiwi stand-off Nikora soon got into his rhythm with three penalties inside 12 minutes, the last of which was after Lydiate was yellow carded by referee Giuseppe Vivarini.

Robling responded with two minutes remaining in the half when John Muldoon was pinged for holding on in the tackle but in truth the visitors were unlucky not to go in more than 19-9 ahead at half-time as they knocked on with the tryline begging.

They made amends though in the first play of the second half as Vainikolo relied on his power rather than his speed to put them 15 points ahead with Nikora unable to convert.

Nikora was off target with another penalty attempt and Robling edged the Dragons closer with a penalty of his own after Connacht failed to release the tackler.

After a 57th minute penalty from Nikora when the hosts were caught offside, the Dragons started to go for broke.

That approach started to pay dividends as Ronan Loughney was binned for persistent infringement and although the Dragons could not take advantage of their extra man, they did finally cross the tryline with seven minutes to go through Faletau.

But even though Eoghan Grace was also binned late on, the Dragons' revival was too little too late and they were left empty handed as they could not force even the consolation of a losing bonus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

I see Loughney got sin binned, but how did he play other than that???
    Kearney also has played a few games lately, how is he getting on???
    Overall a great result for Connacht

loughney reynecke and wilko were well on top in the scrum for a good period of the match according to the paper this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Blackheath wrote: »
    I see Loughney got sin binned, but how did he play other than that???
    Kearney also has played a few games lately, how is he getting on???
    Overall a great result for Connacht

Kearney's being doing well, he's a classy player, still only 21 and on an academy contract. i'm sure he'll bulk up a bit over the next 24 months.

over the next 2 years we'll start to see a lot of good players coming into the Connacht first team from the academy, Leyden, Finn, Marimon, Kearney, Qualter, Connelly.

great result last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Nearly every picture of him I see, he looks like the impossibru guy.
    INPHO_00578820.jpgINPHO_00565528.jpgINPHO_00562680.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Any highlights? On tv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

gally74 wrote: »
    Any highlights? On tv

I'd assume Against the Head will have some highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

wprathead wrote: »
    I'd assume Against the Head will have some highlights?
    AS far as i can see Against the Head concluded after the 6 nations. S4C had brief highlights tonight and BBC2W Scrum V will probably show highlights tomorrow with programme beginning at 5.30pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What positions do Connacht fans think to be looking in for recruitment?

I think you need a hooker. Sean Henry would be my target (young player, could fill in as 3rd choice as he is groomed to replace either the aging Flavin or the NIQ Reynecke)
    I'd be looking at a center to replace Fa'fili, not good enough imo to justify his expense. I'm not sure there is an Irish option that would attract me and be realistic, I would have gone for Whitten before he agreed a deal with Exeter.

I think those would be the first two priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

What positions do Connacht fans think to be looking in for recruitment?

I think you need a hooker. Sean Henry would be my target (young player, could fill in as 3rd choice as he is groomed to replace either the aging Flavin or the NIQ Reynecke)
    I'd be looking at a center to replace Fa'fili, not good enough imo to justify his expense. I'm not sure there is an Irish option that would attract me and be realistic, I would have gone for Whitten before he agreed a deal with Exeter.

I think those would be the first two priorities.

I think we're ok for centers at the moment. We've got good players in McSharry, Griffin and Tonetti and Leader coming through from the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If I was Connacht I'd go for Eamon Sheridan. He's got loads of ability. He just needs a run without injury to prove it. Well worth the risk.

And they do need another 9 if the Rees deal doesn't come through. God knows where that will come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Sheridan has never convinced me and would be a huge risk given his injury record. IMO they should try to get Hudson or Cochrane, both Pro12 standard wingers not getting gametime and would add depth to the back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sean Henry started a development contract this season, normally they last 2 years so I'm not sure he is available.

His chances at Munster depend on Denis Fogarty's contract situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

We don't need a back 3 player

Duffy, O Halloran and Leyden all able full backs, Loxton can play there too

TOH, Leyden, Loxton, Vainikolo, McCrea, Conor Finn, Tuohy as wingers. Tonetti can cover the wing too

Centre is needed. McSharry is not the finished article, he needs time, Griffin has injury trouble. We need another recognised centre to replace Fa'afili. 4 centres is the minimum we need. If I had the choice I'd try and replace Henry with another big lump, who can consistently get us over the gainline. Sheridan's injury record is poor so I wouldn't be too keen. If we could replace Henry with another South Sea player or someone from down south who'll come cheap with similiar attributes to Henry. I'd love to get someone like Naqelevuki from Exeter, absolute monster who is a cracking player. Exeter look like they'll get HC and he probably wouldn't come cheap either.

Hooker is necessity as well. Sean Henry or Aaron Dundon or someone like that, someone who might accept a development contract, cheaper option

Outside of that I think we're fairly ok. We've 3 9's signed up so I can't see us getting anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Sean Henry started a development contract this season, normally they last 2 years so I'm not sure he is available.

His chances at Munster depend on Denis Fogarty's contract situation.

Denis Fogarty is off to France next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Get thee to the Munster thread and tell more!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

OT I know, but just back from my very first visit to the Sportsground for Junior Cup final and all I can say is wow! How you guys manage is unbelievable. Fair play, it must be some shock to the likes of Toulouse when they get there.

Having said that, most enjoyable day in the sunshine and a cracking game as well with great support. Vive Connacht Rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

rrpc wrote: »
    OT I know, but just back from my very first visit to the Sportsground for Junior Cup final and all I can say is wow! How you guys manage is unbelievable. Fair play, it must be some shock to the likes of Toulouse when they get there.

Having said that, most enjoyable day in the sunshine and a cracking game as well with great support. Vive Connacht Rugby!

thanks.. I.. think ?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Willie Faloon off to Connacht next season !

Has this been covered already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Gavin Henson to Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

TomKat wrote: »
    Gavin Henson to Connacht?

1276708167348.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

lologram wrote: »
    1276708167348.gif

There's plenty watering holes for him here. As long as he waits till Friday night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement