Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army tattoo opinions please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Get a Union Jack on top of it.
    Or you could join the Ivory Coast Army.

I am not british and have only been to england once, I am born and bred Irish but because of the Ira using the tri colour as their flag some people forget that it is also the countries flag. Even tho people in Waterford and most southern places do not see it in any way as anything but the countries flag, there is people in northern Ireland when they see a tri-colour think that its a secterian tattoo and could take offense to it.

I love the tattoo and love Ireland, I also have no problem with the British they are our neighbours and if I cant get a job or join the Irish army I would be happy to try get into their army.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

French Legion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

It pays €16,000 a year. If you are willing to emigrate to find work there must be better paid work that you can get. You've to work 6 days a week for that as well.

Why don't you join the RAF or the Royal Navy at least you're pretty much guaranteed a trade out of them.

It pays €16,000 a year. If you are willing to emigrate to find work there must be better paid work that you can get. You've to work 6 days a week for that as well.

Why don't you join the RAF or the Royal Navy at least you're pretty much guaranteed a trade out of them.

Because I have always liked the Army and I got sea sick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It pays €16,000 a year.

Its a career not a "job" plus you pay peanuts for a roof over your head and a bit more for 3 hot meals a day. Medical treatment is swift and some of the best standards in the world.

16k per year goes quite far when you know your are secure and the pay rapidly rises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Dont ye mean £16,000 :confused:

That aside,i think its very poor money. best of luck dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

deisedave wrote: »
    ....there is people in northern Ireland when they see a tri-colour think that its a secterian tattoo and could take offense to it....

don't worry about that - if you end up being visible to people in NI they are more likely to take offence at the rifle you're carrying than the tattoo you've got under your uniform.

if you join an Irish regiment - IG or RIR - you may get stick, but not more than a few days worth, if you join any other units no one will give a mouse-sized poo.

no one outside - and few enough inside - the Irish units gives a flying toss about NI. anyone who does, or claims they do is slightly undermined by the fact that the IG and RIR are based permamently in the sectarian ghettos of Windsor and Shropshire, and are unofficially not liable to serve in NI. if they cared that much, they wouldn't have joined those units

someone might ask you why you've got the Italian flag on your arm, but thats about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

OS119 wrote: »
    don't worry about that - if you end up being visible to people in NI they are more likely to take offence at the rifle you're carrying than the tattoo you've got under your uniform.

if you join an Irish regiment - IG or RIR - you may get stick, but not more than a few days worth, if you join any other units no one will give a mouse-sized poo.

no one outside - and few enough inside - the Irish units gives a flying toss about NI. anyone who does, or claims they do is slightly undermined by the fact that the IG and RIR are based permamently in the sectarian ghettos of Windsor and Shropshire, and are unofficially not liable to serve in NI. if they cared that much, they wouldn't have joined those units

someone might ask you why you've got the Italian flag on your arm, but thats about it...

He, he. You don't have a clue do you?

FAO deisedave:

Have you got a flute mate?

rir+orange+2.jpg

rir.jpg

:D:D:D

FAO deisedave:

Have you got a flute mate?

rir+orange+2.jpg

rir.jpg

:D:D:D
    Yeah I have a flute, I go to N. Ireland every 12th of July to play it. :D

• Advertisement

Here's another couple you'll like from Afghanistan:

rir+afghanistan4.jpg

The blue on white flag is the YCV flag - 1912 or 1966 on - take your pick...

rir+afghanistan.jpg

Ah, poor Bobby, will they never let it go? Surely someone has told them nobody cares about NI?

Last one (for now):

rir.jpg

Last one (for now):

rir.jpg

Yeah no doubt those lads look like a bunch of knuckle draggers but your anti British stance and your total hate for anything British makes you just as bad as the no surrender lads above there.

deisedave wrote: »
    Yeah no doubt those lads look like a bunch of knuckle draggers but your anti British stance and your total hate for anything British makes you just as bad as the no surrender lads above there.

I hate to tell you this mate, but The UK Armed Forces have always recruited 'knuckle draggers' - they love them in fact.

Wellington didn't call his Irish troops the scum of the earth for nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

I hate to tell you this mate, but The UK Armed Forces have always recruited 'knuckle draggers' - they love them in fact.

Wellington didn't call his Irish troops the scum of the earth for nothing...

He referred to all enlisted men in the army as scum after they broke ranks at the Battle of Victoria.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_during_the_Napoleonic_Wars#cite_note-Hay7-4

The Duke himself was irish born.

shaneybaby wrote: »
    He referred to all enlisted men in the army as scum after they broke ranks at the Battle of Victoria.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_during_the_Napoleonic_Wars#cite_note-Hay7-4

"being born in a stable does not make one a horse"

Don't you just love wiki?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

shaneybaby wrote: »

"being born in a stable does not make one a horse"

Don't you just love wiki?

:D

He was born in Dublin, that makes him irish. Regardless of what he might have preferred to believe so your reply is moot.

Owryan wrote: »
    He was born in Dublin, that makes him irish. Regardless of what he might have preferred to believe so your reply is moot.

Do you reckon? So if a woman from Ireland and her hubby are on holiday in France and she gives birth there, the child is French? Mmmm...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Do you reckon? So if a woman from Ireland and her hubby are on holiday in France and she gives birth there, the child is French? Mmmm...

The Duke Of Wellingtons family had been in Ireland hundreds of yrs. They were not on holiday.

Which part of "the country you are born in" is the country of your nationality. You might not like or ever describe your self as such but bar you climb back into ur mother n demand she squeeze you out in a country of your choosing you dont have much choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Duke of Wellington never actually said it either. It was said about him by Daniel O'Connell and became an urban myth.

This is why Wikipedia should not be taken as fact.

Which part of "the country you are born in" is the country of your nationality. You might not like or ever describe your self as such but bar you climb back into ur mother n demand she squeeze you out in a country of your choosing you dont have much choice.

Hmmmm. Certainly one point of view...

The Duke of Wellington never actually said it either. It was said about him by Daniel O'Connell and became an urban myth.

This is why Wikipedia should not be taken as fact.

Although Wiki does confirm your post's findings. :D

Although Wiki does confirm your post's findings. :D

Ok considering alot of your overall posts from boards is on this topic, I think I got the answers I was looking for and if you want to hate the British open up your own thread.

Moderator please close topic thank you

Anyway, as promised, here's another RIR holiday snap for deisedave:

3478920.jpg

Rising Sons of Basra! Cool bannerrette, complete with orange lily crown. The collarettes are authentic in this case - one's Orange Lodge and the other I'm not sure about - could be Orange or Apprentice Boys - probably Orange. Good of The RIR to make space for the regalia in the journey to Iraq. Still, look after the men and all that...

Hmmmm. Certainly one point of view...

Hmmmm racist bigot troll is a point of view as well

Hmmmm racist bigot troll is a point of view as well

"racist bigot troll" sounds more like a description than a point of view to me, still...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

trendyvicay is right the Royal Irish are all evil orangemen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmlQ_k3aIT0

Gooleybag wrote: »
    trendyvicay is right the Royal Irish are all evil orangemen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmlQ_k3aIT0

Interesting video there mate. Ken Maginnis (Baron Maginnis of Drumglass) was, off course, not only a Unionist MP, but also a UDR Major with ten years service. Ironically, Ken was never an Orangeman, although he was an Apprentice Boy.

Hard as nails. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Anyway, as promised, here's another RIR holiday snap for deisedave:

3478920.jpg

Rising Sons of Basra! Cool bannerrette, complete with orange lily crown. The collarettes are authentic in this case - one's Orange Lodge and the other I'm not sure about - could be Orange or Apprentice Boys - probably Orange. Good of The RIR to make space for the regalia in the journey to Iraq. Still, look after the men and all that...

More lies, these pics are of the Irish Guards in Basra, they sent up a mock orange parade with Catholic soldiers as rioters for a laugh.

You are totally dishonest.

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=35

Soldiers keep it real with Basra Twelfth
    By Diana Rusk
    BRITISH soldiers in Iraq have held a tongue-in-cheek Twelfth of July demonstration complete with nationalist protesters and riot police.

Members of the Irish Guards held the parade at their base in Basra after an Orange lodge sent them sashes and orange lilies.

The images posted on internet forum Bebo show orange men from 'Basrah LOL 1 accompanied by a flute band called The Rising Sons of Basrah 2007.

They march past mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement