Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army tattoo opinions please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

I wonder if any of The Paras at 'Bloody Sunday' had Green, White and Gold tattoos? Would certainly put a different complexion on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I wonder if any of The Paras at 'Bloody Sunday' had Green, White and Gold tattoos? Would certainly put a different complexion on things.

Stop living in the past and kindly go away, My god trolls are annoying rather than derailing our conversation why not go play with your action man ;)

Gingko wrote: »
    You have added nothing but negativity and are coming across as a complete WUM (wind up merchant).

I guess I am rather negative about people going to a completely foreign country, to join their armed forces and to kill and be killed on their behalf. Especially if they come from a little country that has built a whole culture around being 'occupied' by their larger neighbour. In fact, you really couldn't make it up.

Brits out - and take me with you!

LOL

I guess I am rather negative about people going to a completely foreign country, to join their armed forces and to kill and be killed on their behalf. Especially if they come from a little country that has built a whole culture around being 'occupied' by their larger neighbour. In fact, you really couldn't make it up.

Brits out - and take me with you!

LOL

My dad was born in london so I dont really have hate for the brits in fact some of my ancestors would of been British so Im ok. Now please go and argue your anti brit feelings in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Tis all a load of bollix. The BA don't have an issue with you having a tri colour tattoo, plenty of them in RIR. Now your new mates in which ever other Regiment you choose might rip the p*ss out of you but that's about it. Unless of course its tattooed across your forehead. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

As smart as you like to think you are the Irish tri-colour is green white and orange.:rolleyes:

As smart as you like to think you are the Irish tri-colour is green white and orange.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

In fairness, you're wrong
    http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland.pdf

"Article 7
    The national flag is the tricolour of green, white and orange."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

deisedave wrote: »
    My dad was born in london so I dont really have hate for the brits in fact some of my ancestors would of been British so Im ok.

if your dad was born in London before 1/1/1983 (which sounds likely), you're probably entitled to claim British citizenship as well as Irish.

re ancestors, anyone born in Ireland between 1801 and 1st January 1949 was automatically British, even TrendyVic's ancestors.

Wouldn't worry about the tat. There are a few yobs and gobs who might give you a hard time but generally it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

You should go to America and join the Seals.
    They are the best of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

You should go to America and join the Seals.
    They are the best of the best.

And you won't have to put up with our TrendyVicar friend either! :D

And you won't have to put up with our TrendyVicar friend either! :D

I would love to try for the american army but I am not american so that is a no go unless I went and got a degree first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jacqueline ryan

Hi just a quick reply for you my son who joined the rir of the british army has two tattoos ,one on each arm ,one is the tri colour and the other a celtic cross with `100% irish and he has never had a problem with the lads he works with,
    hope this helps

Hi just a quick reply for you my son who joined the rir of the british army has two tattoos ,one on each arm ,one is the tri colour and the other a celtic cross with `100% irish and he has never had a problem with the lads he works with,
    hope this helps

Conas a tu ta for the help :D

Yeah I dont think I should have much trouble alot of good replies on here and also on arrse, Only one muppet on this thread (trendyvicar)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

DeiseDave--If your at all worried about the tattoo--rather than get it lasered you could always get a cover up.

Plenty of good artists would cover up a flag down here.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    DeiseDave--If your at all worried about the tattoo--rather than get it lasered you could always get a cover up.

Plenty of good artists would cover up a flag down here.

I am not really that interested in getting more work done also the current tattoo is fairly big so any re done would have to be massive and I dont want even more work on my arm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No worries.just another idea to help you out.Laser can be really painful and leave a nasty scar that may be worse than the tattoo that was there.

I am not really that interested in getting more work done also the current tattoo is fairly big so any re done would have to be massive and I dont want even more work on my arm.

Wise move Dave! Cover ups can make things worse eh? And to have the job done right you still need to get a few laser treatments done to fade the initial tattoo a bit. Laser treatments are quite cheap now. But getting a good tattoo artist is not so cheap. And to cover up a big tattoo right your talking a lot of money. You dont just want some big horrible black ink tat either. These black tribal tattoos look ridiculous on North European skin tones.

It was the whole tattoo thing that brought my attention to this thread in the first place. I have an old tattoo with a flag too from my teens. I'm in my 30's now and have had 6 laser treatments so far this year costing €40 per session. Again there is a wait of 4-6 weeks between treatments. I must say it's going well and tattoo has faded quite a lot now even if the green ink is slow to fade. :)

No worries.just another idea to help you out.Laser can be really painful and leave a nasty scar that may be worse than the tattoo that was there.

Q-switched lasers do not scar! And they are not as painful as getting the tattoo either. First session is maybe the same pain level as tattooing itself but as the ink breaks down it gets easier. I just had my 6th session and it was a piece of cake! First 2 sessions were uncomfortable.

I have two friends who have completed their laser treatment successfully and with no scarring. The skin loses it's pigment for a couple of years but eventually comes back. All good! :)

Q-switched lasers do not scar!

I beg to differ but I know people that have used Q switched lasers and have scarred--Its probably a lot less than the old style lasers though.Its also down to the operator.Q switched lasers--well all lasers work by heating the tattoo up to suoer hight temps and breaking it down that way.In the hands of a skilled operator there is virtually no scarring but I have seen bad scarring from q-switched.

And they are not as painful as getting the tattoo either. First session is maybe the same pain level as tattooing itself but as the ink breaks down it gets easier. I just had my 6th session and it was a piece of cake! First 2 sessions were uncomfortable.

Again in my opinion its down to the operator.Some people I know have said it was the worst pain they ever felt--others say it was a breeze.
    I have two friends who have completed their laser treatment successfully and with no scarring. The skin loses it's pigment for a couple of years but eventually comes back. All good! :)

Now theres the time for that new tattoo.

Look I only popped on the thread in order to give a different view.And of course Im going to be biased towards a cover up rather than laser :):)

Whatever the op decides I hope you get accepted and make a new career out of it.

• Advertisement

I beg to differ but I know people that have used Q switched lasers and have scarred--Its probably a lot less than the old style lasers though.Its also down to the operator.Q switched lasers--well all lasers work by heating the tattoo up to suoer hight temps and breaking it down that way.In the hands of a skilled operator there is virtually no scarring but I have seen bad scarring from q-switched.

Again in my opinion its down to the operator.Some people I know have said it was the worst pain they ever felt--others say it was a breeze.

Now theres the time for that new tattoo.

Look I only popped on the thread in order to give a different view.And of course Im going to be biased towards a cover up rather than laser :):)

Whatever the op decides I hope you get accepted and make a new career out of it.

Fair enough! I'm not having a go at you by the way! The people removing my tattoo are well trained and qualified. It's going well!

Fair enough! I'm not having a go at you by the way! The people removing my tattoo are well trained and qualified. It's going well!

Sorry--Ididnt mean to come across like that and Im glad to hear that its going well--If you dont mind when its done would you pop some pics up in the tattoo forum.We get a lot of requests over there for removal enquiries.

Conas a tu ta for the help :D

Yeah I dont think I should have much trouble alot of good replies on here and also on arrse, Only one muppet on this thread (trendyvicar)

Oooooooooooooh - touched a nerve or what!

If you join The RIR you can let us all know if the rumours about UDR/UVF joint membership was true or not, and to what extent...

Perhaps The Irish schools careers people should brief any budding British soldiers to avoid covering themselves in Irish tattoos. At the very least this would avoid the future embarrassment of explaining why someone who loves The Republic of Ireland so much would want to go and kill people for The British Crown.

Any places in Waterford that do tattoo removal ?

Perhaps The Irish schools careers people should brief any budding British soldiers to avoid covering themselves in Irish tattoos. At the very least this would avoid the future embarrassment of explaining why someone who loves The Republic of Ireland so much would want to go and kill people for The British Crown.

How are you not banned yet lol

How are you not banned yet lol

Oh, you're so funny deise! You'll need that sense of humour when you're out killing for The British Crown.

RULE BRITANNIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just cover it with another tattoo..nice big union jack should do the job :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If the Taliban can get away with Aston Villa tattoos, I'm pretty sure a British soldier having an Ireland tattoo will be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Get a Union Jack on top of it.
    Or you could join the Ivory Coast Army.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement