Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options
  • 28-10-2011 8:10pm

Galway city council have published their plan to replace the Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/251011_01.html

The pdf plan is here:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/281011_03.pdf

The entrance to the Galway shopping center will be replaced by a left in left out slip road from the Sean Mulvoy road.

There will be an additional entrance to the shopping center from the Headford road.

Traffic will be able to turn right to get into the places on the Sean Mulvoy road.

There will be a two lane slip road for traffic coming from the bridge and turning left onto the Headford road.

I think it is good that the GSC entrance is going - will anyone miss this roundabout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Well considering I've just learned how to use it I might miss it a little but YEAH - it's a nightmare to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I hate Galway's roundabouts, so good riddance to the lot of them.

The Bodkin Circus of Horrors was always a sick joke.

That said, it is reported on the front page of today's City Tribune (delivered to me by express long-distance heavyweight carrier-pigeon) that the N6 Multimodal Corridor Scheme will not be completed in time for the Volvo Ocean Race.

Another sick joke. Supporting this project is like being in favour of law and order but with the Keystone Cops as the only available enforcers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Am I the only one who thinks it's one of the better functioning roundabouts in Galway?? Once you get used to it, it works quite well I think, the main problem being only one slip road for turning across Terryland coming from the Quin bridge, because that's the way the bulk of the traffic flows!

I think there are a lot more problems with other junctions and roundabouts around the city!

The only problem with this one are people are afraid to use it and don't know how to use it!

Although in saying that, I was always baffled why there were lights from every entrance onto it except for the one coming from say Lidl...I'll admit it's sometimes a nightmare to get on from that side!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Padkir wrote: »
    Although in saying that, I was always baffled why there were lights from every entrance onto it except for the one coming from say Lidl...I'll admit it's sometimes a nightmare to get on from that side!!

There are five road entrances and of those, three have lights.

The important thing is for those who wish to do so is you can submit your views/notions/better job on the project to the Council by 23 December 2011. I don't want to hear any complaints next year about it y'hear :cool:

Am I the only one who thinks it's one of the better functioning roundabouts in Galway?? Once you get used to it, it works quite well I think, the main problem being only one slip road for turning across Terryland coming from the Quin bridge, because that's the way the bulk of the traffic flows!

I think there are a lot more problems with other junctions and roundabouts around the city!

The only problem with this one are people are afraid to use it and don't know how to use it!

Have you tried crossing from the Dun na Coiribe side to the Omniplex side when two lines of vehicles are accelerating towards you, potentially from different angles?

Have you tried to cross carrying shopping bags? Tried to cross with a buggy? Tried to cross in or with a wheelchair? Tried to cross partially sighted or mobility-impaired?

And have you tried cycling through it in all possible directions?

• Advertisement

More bull s**t form galway city council, if they are not stopped they will ruin the city. The vast majority of people are totally against removing the roundabouts but it appears there is nothing that can be done to stop them.

More bull s**t form galway city council, if they are not stopped they will ruin the city. The vast majority of people motorists are totally against removing the roundabouts but it appears there is nothing that can be done to stop them.
    :)

snubbleste wrote: »
    :)

Yes, in other words the people that matter when we are talking about things that effect traffic flow.

The Council have to take into account all modes of traffic when providing infrastructure, not just listen to the louder lobby group as in the past ie. the motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Therein lies the problem ... you shouldn't really have to get used to it, how many people pass through and visit Galway (ans: a lot!), so there are always going to be people unsure of which exit to take using it. IMO it would have been better to put full traffic light controls there (getting rid of the roundbout) and leave the Briarhill roundabout alone as it was fine as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Good riddance! I live by those traffic lights and it's like a game of frogger walking into town most days.

I've also seen 4 collisions happen in front of my eyes there in the last year. Nothing worse than the look of sheer terror on the face of a D-reg driver going around that roundabout.. although that was a little entertaining I'll admit.:D

Yes, in other words the people that matter when we are talking about things that effect traffic flow.

A common attitude, and one that has led us inexorably to the unsustainable traffic and transportation mess we are currently in.

At least you're honest, unlike some of the mandarins in City Hall and elsewhere!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There is an inside lane that appears near the tesco exit. It's designed to allow people to go further round the roundabout than the right lane exit towards the bridge. Totally reasonable. Good idea to have that lane there. Has to be done. So many people leave their lane, go into this new lane, then roll back into the lane to exit going over the quincentennial right in front of me.

Why do they do that?

There is an inside lane that appears near the tesco exit. It's designed to allow people to go further round the roundabout than the right lane exit towards the bridge. Totally reasonable. Good idea to have that lane there. Has to be done. So many people leave their lane, go into this new lane, then roll back into the lane to exit going over the quincentennial right in front of me.

Why do they do that?

Because it's a crap, confusing roundabout?

Are you talking about the lane that suddently sprouts from the centre island?

Is that standardised engineering practice, or an Irish solution to an Irish problem?

I've seen foreign visitors struggling to navigate the road markings and signals on the Bodkin Roundabout (one lot shouted apologetically to me, "we're German!") so it's clearly not an intuitive design.

Irish motorists find Irish roundabouts generally tricky to navigate, and the Bodkin is one of the worst. Imagine how cyclists, pedestrians, disabled people and senior citizens must feel.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Because it's a crap, confusing roundabout?

Are you talking about the lane that suddently sprouts from the centre island?

Is that standardised engineering practice, or an Irish solution to an Irish problem?

I've seen foreign visitors struggling to navigate the road markings and signals on the Bodkin Roundabout (one lot shouted apologetically to me, "we're German!") so it's clearly not an intuitive design.

Irish motorists find Irish roundabouts generally tricky to navigate, and the Bodkin is one of the worst. Imagine how cyclists, pedestrians, disabled people and senior citizens must feel.

I have no problem whatsoever using that roundabout and don't see why people find it so difficult to be honest.

I have no problem whatsoever using that roundabout and don't see why people motorists find it so difficult to be honest.

FYP again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I have no problem whatsoever using that roundabout and don't see why people find it so difficult to be honest.
    They find it so difficult for the very same reason that 50% of people fail their driving test, they can't or won't pay fuppin attention to all the signs, lanes, markings on road, cop on etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Really? Really?? You have no idea? I don't believe you. I think you're just used to it and are therefore inconsiderate of all the poor people who are not used to it.

They find it so difficult for the very same reason that 50% of people fail their driving test, they can't or won't pay fuppin attention to all the signs, lanes, markings on road, cop on etc

Do have any insights regarding the lane that suddently sprouts from the centre island?

I remember my surprise when I first saw it. I have never encountered the likes before or since, but if there are examples in other countries/cities or in roads engineering manuals etc I would be interested to hear of them. Certainly not covered in the RoTR, which isn't of much help to learner drivers.

There's also the small matter of the absence of signals at 5 and 7 o'clock (in terms of location, not time!). This makes a hames of traffic flow, IMO, as well as creating difficulty for pedestrians and cyclists trying to cross, especially when vehicles are accelerating off the roundabout towards the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Am I the only one who thinks it's one of the better functioning roundabouts in Galway??

Well I guess the ambulance officers appreciate it, 'cos it keeps them in work ... other than that, I can't think of anyone who likes it.

• Advertisement

Do have any insights regarding the lane that suddently sprouts from the centre island?

I remember my surprise when I first saw it. I have never encountered the likes before or since, but if there are examples in other countries/cities or in roads engineering manuals etc I would be interested to hear of them. Certainly not covered in the RoTR, which isn't of much help to learner drivers.

There's also the small matter of the absence of signals at 5 and 7 o'clock (in terms of location, not time!). This makes a hames of traffic flow, IMO, as well as creating difficulty for pedestrians and cyclists trying to cross, especially when vehicles are accelerating off the roundabout towards the bridge.
    I have stated before that as a truck driver my job would usually involve driving to different places a lot of the time and tackling all types of juctions, roundabouts, lane manouevres etc. It is a rare occasion I would have any issues like people have with this roundabout, to me most people are just winging it going into it and don't make them selves aware of the signage and marking about it.

As regards the lane that sprouts, it's simple really if there is no car in it you are not cutting anyone of so use it if you need it. Otherwise keep following the lane thats straight ahead.

I'm still interested to know whether the Lane from Nowhere on the Magic Roundabout is a Galway City Council invention, or whether it can be found in any roads engineering manual anywhere else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

How do you get from Tescos car park onto the Sean Mulvoy Road. cant really work it out from the map as is early in the morning!!

I guess it is needed to have three lanes exiting from the Headford road coming from town.

Recently I was a passenger coming from that exit - we were in the middle lane heading straight out the Headford road and so heading for the middle lane at the lights. The car to the left of us drove straight out and ignored the round part of a roundabout and headed for the middle lane.

As it was a nice day we both had our windows open and the other driver shouted that we were in her lane. I pointed out that she had gone from the outermost lane to the middle one. She wasn't happy.
    Webbs wrote: »
    How do you get from Tescos car park onto the Sean Mulvoy Road. cant really work it out from the map as is early in the morning!!
    You exit onto the Headford road and use the lights I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I guess it is needed to have three lanes exiting from the Headford road coming from town.

Recently I was a passenger coming from that exit - we were in the middle lane heading straight out the Headford road and so heading for the middle lane at the lights. The car to the left of us drove straight out and ignored the round part of a roundabout and headed for the middle lane.

As it was a nice day we both had our windows open and the other driver shouted that we were in her lane. I pointed out that she had gone from the outermost lane to the middle one. She wasn't happy.

Yeah, people seem to have a lot of trouble with keeping to the far left when in the left lane entering a roundabout, not just at this roundabout either!

It's especially idiotic when there's a truck inside them and they force the truck up onto the curb of the roundabout itself, then complain about aggressive and intimidating truck drivers if they're hooted at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

More bull s**t form galway city council, if they are not stopped they will ruin the city. The vast majority of people are totally against removing the roundabouts but it appears there is nothing that can be done to stop them.
    A small minority of people petrified of change who shout and tantrum louder than everybody else does not a vast majority make

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

5pm today and this roundabout was fooked. Chaos. I cautiously welcome the changes.

McTigs wrote: »
    A small minority of people petrified of change who shout and tantrum louder than everybody else does not a vast majority make

Everybody I know is complaining about the roundabouts being changed and thats from a varied mix of people, young, old etc.

Just look at the mess that is moneen. Sitting in traffic for 10 mins on a bloody sunday evening. Fook of traffic lights.

There is an inside lane that appears near the tesco exit. It's designed to allow people to go further round the roundabout than the right lane exit towards the bridge. Totally reasonable. Good idea to have that lane there. Has to be done.

Still waiting for someone, especially fans of the Bodkin, to point to a similar layout elsewhere or in any roads engineering manual.

I'm not saying it's non-standard, just that I've personally never seen the likes before.

No takers then?

• Advertisement

Still waiting for someone, especially fans of the Bodkin, to point to a similar layout elsewhere or in any roads engineering manual.

I'm not saying it's non-standard, just that I've personally never seen the likes before.

No takers then?

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it :D

IMG_1520.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement