Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Do you not need another language. You have english but the requirements are another language apart from Irish because you are from EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Q8ee wrote: »
    Now, I'd need to get a B1 in all of my six subjects, which is really difficult:

A B1 = 85 points in Higher Level + 25 Bonus Maths Points
    Total Points: 535

Now, I'd need 200 points in my HPAT to get 735 points, so I'm really stressing out about how difficult it will be to get in :(

I really want this, and I will study hard, but I just don't think it's possible for me to get an A1 in any of the subjects, apart from MAYBE in Biology if the test isn't too hard.

So please! I'm begging for any RCSI students who applied as an EU student, how hard was it to get in? Was it as hard as they are making it seem? Would they let me in with 700 points? Is the HPAT really as difficult as people make it seem? Please, I need something to make this seem worthwhile, because right now, I feel like I won't make it :(

You won't be allowed in with 700 points unfortunately, the cut offs are high because you're in direct competition with all the other applicants in the country. The points can vary from year to year but even hoping that it will stay ~730 is optimistic.

Like others have said, there is absolutely no point in aiming for something in the hpat. The marking is not straightforward, getting the same amount of answers right might get you 200 in one year and 150 in another. Its impossible to tell how it will go. Even with preparation and courses there is absolutely no guarantee to your score.

Not to be critical, but you need to be able to study to a high level especially in the science subjects if you want to be capable of doing medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Medicine's a difficult course, the amount of study you'll have to do will have you fairly nostalgic for the LC days when you were spoonfed everything.

did you get med?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Sunny!! wrote: »
    did you get med?:)

I was wondering that. Jumpguy got bumped to 729 right? SO. Do you get a place next year fo sho'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Q8ee wrote: »
    Medicine might have a lot more study than the LC but it's study to do with things that I find interesting and love.

I naturally soak up all information to do with Biology, and I'm sure Medicine is me all over, so I'll understand it so well.

I just hate the way I have to regurgitate all this spoonfed LC stuff, especially when half of it I don't even like :/
    Then why don't you go for the A1 in biology? All you need is an A2 in something else to bring you to 550 then.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    Then why don't you go for the A1 in biology? All you need is an A2 in something else to bring you to 550 then.
    Been in it now for a few weeks!

excellent:D

I remember reading a post from you a month or so i'd say ago and you were out by 1 or 2 points was it? Thought it was so lousy.

Delighted you got it, i know medicine is hard to get into but not to get it by one or two points....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Q8ee

Do you not need another language. You have english but the requirements are another language apart from Irish because you are from EU.

I'm doing French at Ordinary level but I'm not gonna count it as one of my best six subjects :)

I had no idea :) Well done.

When I was at the Nuig open day the lecturer said that it was 729 but she had heard that a couple of people slipped in late at 728 or something, but I thought nothing of it.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    excellent:D

I remember reading a post from you a month or so i'd say ago and you were out by 1 or 2 points was it? Thought it was so lousy.

Delighted you got it, i know medicine is hard to get into but not to get it by one or two points....
    I had no idea :) Well done.

When I was at the Nuig open day the lecturer said that it was 729 but she had heard that a couple of people slipped in late at 728 or something, but I thought nothing of it.

What did you guys end up doing by the way? :) Or are ye just in LC now?

I'm just in. How far into the course are you now?

• Advertisement

I'm just in. How far into the course are you now?

3 years! :)

repeat lc bring it on!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LaurannLC

Hey I'm in fifth year and pretty set on Medicine. On qualifax.ie it says at the bottom of all the medicine courses "Points: 729 #(Test / Interview / Portfolio etc.)" I've never heard anything about an interview or portfolio anywhere, do they actually exist?

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=1745

LaurannLC wrote: »
    Hey I'm in fifth year and pretty set on Medicine. On qualifax.ie it says at the bottom of all the medicine courses "Points: 729 #(Test / Interview / Portfolio etc.)" I've never heard anything about an interview or portfolio anywhere, do they actually exist?

It means the HPAT :)

If you haven't heard about that, plenty of info if you search for the version of this thread over the last few years, and the official website.

wow did the points actually go to 729 or is it only for some universities

wow did the points actually go to 729 or is it only for some universities

Highest points this year was Trinity on 741, which dropped to 739* in the 2nd round.

Lowest points were NUIG, which was 729*, which then went down to 729 without random selection, and then very few late offers of 728, not published but more than likely random selection as well.

Others were 734 in UCC (no decrease in 2nd round), 733* in RCSI (down to 732) and 738 in UCD (down to 735).

Anyone know what the cost is for Medicine for example in Trinity per a year. Also if you know the cost for an EU and Non-EU.

If you do some research on qualifax.ie and in each individual universities prospectus you will find all the information you need. In general, Irish students pay registration fees of €2000 per year and a student levy of ~€200 depending on university. You'll find all the other fees on qualifax.

Checked out UCD and it said 8,000 which is a lot more compared to the 2,000. Also the cost for Non-EU students is 31,000. Feel sorry for them.

Oh, I see. It's 2,000 for free tuition. I hope I'm eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Wehwehweh

I have a question for all you hopefuls! When did you know you wanted to do medicine and also why do you want to?
    I'm contemplating applying put I don't know if id be able for it. I'm not one of those people who have been saying "I want to be a doctor" since they were three, but i do think it would be an incredibly interesting rewarding course and career!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Wehwehweh wrote: »
    I have a question for all you hopefuls! When did you know you wanted to do medicine and also why do you want to?
    I'm contemplating applying put I don't know if id be able for it. I'm not one of those people who have been saying "I want to be a doctor" since they were three, but i do think it would be an incredibly interesting rewarding course and career!

Well I didnt know i wanted to be a doctor til i was 22! I trained and worked as an EMT, and the more i was taught about anatomy, psysiology, biochemistry etc, the more i knew about disease and injury the more i wanted to know. The ambulance service was great and i dont regret doing it at all, but i wanted to know more about medicine, more about the process of treating and managing patients etc, and concluded that medicine was the obvious choice, when i came to that conclusion it was like i always knew it ha. So here i am studying my LC at home and hoping to get into med next yr!

Well I didnt know i wanted to be a doctor til i was 22! I trained and worked as an EMT, and the more i was taught about anatomy, psysiology, biochemistry etc, the more i knew about disease and injury the more i wanted to know. The ambulance service was great and i dont regret doing it at all, but i wanted to know more about medicine, more about the process of treating and managing patients etc, and concluded that medicine was the obvious choice, when i came to that conclusion it was like i always knew it ha. So here i am studying my LC at home and hoping to get into med next yr!

I think I'm just going to have to do a little bit more looking into things!
    A few weeks ago I would of shot down the idea of medicine, but now that I've actually been properly thinking about it, it does appeal to me now. Originally I was thinking Pharmacy, then into research or else Radiation therapy. But then I got the Human Health and Disease course into my head which looks brilliant, which led to me considering medicine considering it would be a practical application of the Human health and disease course, obviously there is a lot more in it but you get what i mean. So now I really don;t know what to do!

ANyone know anything about the reduced points and how it works?

I think I'm just going to have to do a little bit more looking into things!
    A few weeks ago I would of shot down the idea of medicine, but now that I've actually been properly thinking about it, it does appeal to me now. Originally I was thinking Pharmacy, then into research or else Radiation therapy. But then I got the Human Health and Disease course into my head which looks brilliant, which led to me considering medicine considering it would be a practical application of the Human health and disease course, obviously there is a lot more in it but you get what i mean. So now I really don;t know what to do!

Its a tough call! I was very daunted by the whole idea of it at first aswell. still kinda am ha, butim enjoying the study (apart from irish lol) For you it seems Medicine merges all your interests together pharmacy, research, radiotherapy etc health disease etc. id put some serious thought into if i were you, but dont just do it cos it "makes sense", i mean at the end of the day it isnt an easy job, long hours dealing with lots of people of different dispositions etc maybe the first question you should ask yourself, due to the length of training, isnt "do i want to be a doctor" maybe you should start off with"do i want to be a med student" ??

ANyone know anything about the reduced points and how it works?

Teh 550 cut off is cut off to 460. I believe.

Teh 550 cut off is cut off to 460. I believe.

How do you mean? The cut off is technically 480 for non-HEAR applicants.

It still depends on the HPAT, but you can knock off around 30 points from the first round offers from what I know has got in.

How do you mean? The cut off is technically 480 for non-HEAR applicants.

It still depends on the HPAT, but you can knock off around 30 points from the first round offers from what I know has got in.

At the nuig open day from my understanding the points started counting as 5 to 1 after 460 if you qualified from hear, instead of 550. So say you got 520 in the lc and 190 that'd give you 662?

I assume something like 190 is needed as there's only 4 places available.

That might be wrong though, it sounded a bit low to me.

At the nuig open day from my understanding the points started counting as 5 to 1 after 460 if you qualified from hear, instead of 550. So say you got 520 in the lc and 190 that'd give you 662?

I assume something like 190 is needed as there's only 4 places available.

That might be wrong though, it sounded a bit low to me.

Huh, I had never heard they did it like that. I have a friend who was offered a place through HEAR, he wasn't told what the minimum points were so he just assumed that he got in on his score (calculated like a regular applicant) that was just reduced for HEAR applicants. It just came up on the morning of the CAO offers that he had a place.

• Advertisement

Huh, I had never heard they did it like that. I have a friend who was offered a place through HEAR, he wasn't told what the minimum points were so he just assumed that he got in on his score (calculated like a regular applicant) that was just reduced for HEAR applicants. It just came up on the morning of the CAO offers that he had a place.

Heya, what is HEAR??

Advertisement