Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

4-12 Waterford 1-16.

Regardless of how a ref does in a game, its not nice to see him surrounded by mentors etc after a game. Maybe its time for the GAA to go down the rugby roaqd when it comes to referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Looks like we were destroyed at the back. Did that full back line out according to the programme with connors full back and prendergast in the coner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yet another disapointing year for our under 21's.

Will this management team stay on

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yet another disapointing year for our under 21's.

Will this management team stay on

County Board Officers will delay making a formal announcement for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Sounded like a good enough aul game

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Deise Tom wrote: »
    4-12 Waterford 1-16.

Regardless of how a ref does in a game, its not nice to see him surrounded by mentors etc after a game. Maybe its time for the GAA to go down the rugby roaqd when it comes to referees.

Sorry Tom but I totally understand the mentors frustration. The ref was a disgrace, maybe we should go down the road of having competent referees.
    Ive been going to games since the early 1970s and tonight was as biased a performance as I've seen by any ref. He was as a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

First of all - congrats to Tipp - well done. Fair play to them they were way more economical and were powerful in the air too. They had a few class acts in O'Neill & McGrath and they got 4 goals. They will take stopping.

Absolutely sickened. Stood back and admired Tipp for the first half then came storming into it and came up just short. Neither team lined out as selected with Noel Connors picking up O'Neill in the corner and Fives at FB. A few minor melees broke out before the throw-in.

It was a horrendous opening 20 minutes for us.We were all at sea - ball-watching, second to the ball, poor to react to the break. Noel McGrath used every inch of grass like the genius that he is to set up attack after attack. Tipp had man mountains in 11 and 10 and every time the ball went in to the Tipp FF line, it was a score. Half time and a mountain to climb. This was worrying. I would have good regard for those 3 lads with the team but the team they sent out was way off tempo for some reason.

In the second half, Whelan came on at midfield. He was obviously wound up because he came on at half time, tried to remove one of Noel McGrath's legs in the throw in and was promptly booked (3 seconds into his match). Then he tripped one of the Tipp lads and got a second yellow. When you are on a yellow and you do something that stupid, you deserve everything that's coming but it was VERY harsh to book him again. I felt we would eat into the lad in the second half and settle down as there was too much quality at the back not to give us scoring opportunities. In the second half, we did get motoring nicely at the back with solid displays by Prendergast, Fives and Connor and the Daniels. We denied them the opportunity. We kept picking off scores at a slow rate but they got spooked by it and were poor for much of the second half. We came back to within a score in the last 10 minutes with Brian O'Sullivan & M Shanahan working hard and Jake Dillon after an anonymous first half in corner forward worked out quite well at midfield.

In the end, Tipp took their goal chances well and were far more economical and that was the only difference. Waterford owned posession - maybe 80% - in the second half but Tipp got 4 goals from probably 5 goal chances. We scored 17 times to their 16 but 4 of theirs were goals.

Diarmuid Kirwan had a terrible display. He was so atrocious that he should never be let ref a game again without getting some help, professional or otheriwse. At one stage I wondered if someone had taken the whistle off him as he just wasn't blowing for any frees (mainly Tipperary indiscretions). For some reason (and I will give him the benefit of the doubt here that he wasn't trying to do us) we came out by far the worst of it (heard a few Tipp lads also saying this at the end). It didn't cost us the match but it made things much harder.

I think refs should come from outside of munster for Munster championship games and should come outside of Leinster for Leinster Championship games.

carter10 wrote: »
    Sorry Tom but I totally understand the mentors frustration. The ref was a disgrace, maybe we should go down the road of having competent referees.
    Ive been going to games since the early 1970s and tonight was as biased a performance as I've seen by any ref. He was as a complete joke.

Have you ever stood in the middle of a field with a whistle in your hand/mouth. The level t which the game was played does not matter. some of the abuse that referees have to put up with is unreal. What comes from the players and mentors is often mild to what comes from the supporters. To be a referee can be a tough job and maybe if you have people getting onto you, you are going to make mistakes, and run the risk of loosing control of a game. I know the referees are supposed to be strong and ignore it, but they are only human.

Have you ever stood in the middle of a field with a whistle in your hand/mouth. The level t which the game was played does not matter. some of the abuse that referees have to put up with is unreal. What comes from the players and mentors is often mild to what comes from the supporters. To be a referee can be a tough job and maybe if you have people getting onto you, you are going to make mistakes, and run the risk of loosing control of a game. I know the referees are supposed to be strong and ignore it, but they are only human.
    Tom, You won't find a more ardent supporter of the notion of respecting referees than me. I have refereed underage matches and it is an eye-opener. It sickens my gut to hear people abusing ref's. It's a cancer in the GAA. That said - this guy tonight was absolutely and totally disgraceful - there is no other word for it. I am not suggesting he was biased - just totally incompetent. Yes he is human. If he was a player he would have bee taken off after 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

Tom, i know you never [played through no fault of your own, but surely you must admit that there are times when a referee does not deserve respect. Tonight was one of these. I'd loveto be holier than thou and say he made a few honest mistakes but I actually think it was more serious than this. I think from the off he had decided a certain outcome and come hell or high water he was going to get the result he wanted. Making up for his robbery of Tipp in 09. Players deserve better than this. And even supporters do too. We pay our few bob and we expect a decent performance from the ref, not an error free one but an honest one. We didnt get that tonight. Shame on you Mr Kirwan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just back from Thurles, Jesus what a waster of a ref that Kirwan was, shocking. And I'm saying he was awful for both sides not just us. Ridiculous to send off Whelan for that, I've no doubt Whelan tried to flick the ball away and managed to clip his shins, absolutely nothing malicious in it. Ref should have just gave a free and moved on. Numerous times a free clearly should have been given, with a player being impeded, hurley around the neck/hurley being held etc. His performance was diabolical and shouldn't be allowed ref again.
    To the game, well we somehow managed to pull it out of the fire, crazy game. We were just taken to the cleaners after 10-15 mins. Fives was roasted by Buggy O' Meara and the rest of the Tipp forwards were on fire, popping over points at will. We were feeding off scraps up front and the backs were barely holding out. Tipp looked like they were going to score at every attack.
    Second half came out and really took it to Tipp. Ate into their lead with Roche, Paudric Mahony, Shan, Dillon, Barron, Fives, Daniels and Mahony starting to get the better of their markers. O' Sullivan was lively and I thought Whelan was good when he came on at HT. Then came that moment and it looked like what momentum we built up had gone up in smoke. Then when Tipp got goal number 3 it really looked curtains. But credit to the lads they battled til the bitter end and got it back to 2 remarkably. The dismissal of Whelan seemed to galvanise them even more, if anything.
    O'Sullivan goaled with about 5mins left on the clock. We managed to work the ball up to the Tipp goal and at this stage Tipp were on the ropes. Mahony had a ground shot saved by the Tipp keeper which would have drawn it up.
    In the ensuing scramble to clear, I think it was Owen Connors (not sure) who tapped it over when the ball should really have been recycled back towards goal as a point was too little too late. Tipp went up the other end and put the final nail in the coffin with a 4th goal.

Disappointed but the lads showed great heart and determination to pull themselves back into it and remember this is a young U21 team so they'll be back next year and for most again, the year after.
    Well done lads and unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

egpower wrote: »
    Tom, You won't find a more ardent supporter of the notion of respecting referees than me. I have refereed underage matches and it is an eye-opener. It sickens my gut to hear people abusing ref's. It's a cancer in the GAA. That said - this guy tonight was absolutely and totally disgraceful - there is no other word for it. I am not suggesting he was biased - just totally incompetent. Yes he is human. If he was a player he would have bee taken off after 15 minutes.

There's definitely a culture of verbally abusing refs in the GAA. However, I have seen on a number of occasions referees unquestionably screw teams over, to the extent that no reasonable person could conclude other than that the referee was biased. And then those referees get protected. This only has happen once in the lifetime of a player, coach, or even supporter to destroy their respect for the role of a referee forever. Sounds like Waterford had one of those nights tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Lads as a Tipp fan I know what it's like to be on the wrong end of a decision of his. Sure do none of ye remember his display in the Waterford Dublin match? I remember Davy Fitz being furious after the game.

He's a rubbish referee. I'm all for respect of referees and trying to understand the pressure. But he has a huge track record of howlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Sounds like there was controversy to this game, im sure it wasnt as bad as Sluddengate with the ref was it?

STIG83 wrote: »
    Sounds like there was controversy to this game, im sure it wasnt as bad as Sluddengate with the ref was it?

Well no, there were no trys scored / allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Okay, own up - which of ye vandalised Wikipedia?

Diarmuid-Kirwan-Superstar.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Ref was shocking it must be said, he has been controversial in recent years and I can't understand how this guy can be seriously considered for big matches like this still (shocking for both teams IMO)....... but we left it on the field, we drove some scandalous ball wide in the first half and failed to convert a lot of possession we had while in on goal, I can think of 2 Eamon Murphy runs and and failed handpass's to dillon off the top of my head that we got nothing from, Tipp where way more ruthless it must be said and they got the goals that win the matches..... I think our line was a bit suspect aswell, like bringing on someone to do a job on Noel McGrath and blatantly cleaving him within 4 seconds and getting sent off(though even a warning would have been more suited he was still on a yellow and should have been careful) within 10 minutes is not the the gameplan we should have gone with because we matched Tipp in the last 45mins and just needed to let our hurling do the talking, I think if we had the 15th man it would have been alot different, but at the end of the day we very nearly forced extra time at the end if we had buried our opportunity, we didn't and Tipp converted from the clearance, so that was the difference in my eyes, unfortunately out of the competition now

Yes I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Whoever changed Wiki could have said a lot worse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

We told ye all about thast Kirwan lad boys, he is either a very very poor referee or worse a very sinister character, unfortunately I feel it is the latter.

He was poor all night for both teams both no doubt he favoured Tipp overall, one thing I will say though is Im suprised how many are questioning the red card, it was as obvious as hell the guy was sent on to 'rough up' Noel McGrath who was giving a masterclass, the first yellow could easily have been a straight red, he pulled at least two feet over the ball straight across McGrath.

Was impressed with the character and hurling of Waterford in the second half, and they will be a major force in this grade in the next two seasons, Dillon could be yer Canning/McGrath type, but he did look a bit confined in the corner, out of the '40' or in the middle and he will reak havoc over the next two years.

I will say though is Im suprised how many are questioning the red card,

egpower wrote: »
    When you are on a yellow and you do something that stupid, you deserve everything that's coming but it was VERY harsh to book him again
    Cake Man wrote: »
    Ridiculous to send off Whelan for that

cleaving him within 4 seconds and getting sent off(though even a warning would have been more suited he was still on a yellow and should have been careful)

your surprised "how many people" (3) have questioned the second yellow card you mean....a contentious decision against a Waterford player which changed the run of the game, and your surprised that this is being questioned on a Waterford forum :confused: personally I'm surprised its only 3 posters have mentioned this to be fair .. i don't mind questioning the players stupididty, the first challenge was a blatant yellow card the second wasn't in my opinion but he should have been more careful giving the erratic nature of the ref..........I don't recall the Tipperary defenders behaving themselves in the opening minutes of the game either but not a word about that, I have to question why there wasn't a dismissal or more bookings here for one of them because where I was sitting it was all them who started this ruckus, I was surprised when the Tipp player who nearly broke Shanahans shoulder with an intentional charge/lunge(and Kirwan called it a shoulder ) at the sideline wasn't reprimanded, I have to question this myself

your surprised "how many people" (3) have questioned the second yellow card you mean....a contentious decision against a Waterford player which changed the run of the game, and your surprised that this is being questioned on a Waterford forum :confused: personally I'm surprised its only 3 posters have mentioned this to be fair .. i don't mind questioning the players stupididty, the first challenge was a blatant yellow card the second wasn't in my opinion but he should have been more careful giving the erratic nature of the ref..........I don't recall the Tipperary defenders behaving themselves in the opening minutes of the game either but not a word about that, I have to question why there wasn't a dismissal or more bookings here for one of them because where I was sitting it was all them who started this ruckus, I was surprised when the Tipp player who nearly broke Shanahans shoulder with an intentional charge/lunge(and Kirwan called it a shoulder ) at the sideline wasn't reprimanded, I have to question this myself

lol yes only this forum has discussed the match , thats where I got the figure of 3 from :rolleyes: but I will agree with you on one point the sending off did indeed change the run of the game, Waterford were completerly out of it untill this point and it galvanised them and they hurled far better with 14.

Shanahan was harshly treated a few times I agree with you here also, but as I have said Kirwan is not a very nice ''person''.

As for the mellees before the throw in, id love to know how you are laying the blame here solely on the Tipp backs, it was tit for tat and handbags, both parties equally to blame.

I agree with you here also, but as I have said Kirwan is not a very nice ''person''

well at least we can agree on that

You can replace ''person'' with a word of your own choice :D Im just thinking of the kids that might be reading this, and the mods of course!

• Advertisement

Reading about him, and talking about him with people I work with today I really can't believe he has bluffed a career in refereeing for so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I haven't liked Kirwan since seeing him first ref a game in 2004 between Waterford and Tipperary in the Munster championship. He was poor in the league game early this year which in the end cost Waterford a place in the league final (though they didnt help themselves that day either).

Again last night he was very poor and I think the sending off was very soft. If your from Tipp and you disagree I might remind you that many of the all-irelands ye take great pride in having won fadó fadó were won by cutting people in half- hell's kitchen etc.

Tipp were deserving of their half time and lead and probably should have been more in front. I thought Mahony, and Jamie Barron were both very good with Fives coming into it. Stephen Roche was Waterford's best player, which suprised me but fair play to him. Brian O Sullivan pick of the forwards. Maurice was good but as the game wore on he struggled. Fitness is low which suprised me given his injury was a hand injury. Would be suprised to see him start against Limerick.

Its disapointing that this team only got one game out of the year cos they deserve more but with 11 of the starters still underage next year (+ Brian O Halloran, a huge loss on the day) and several more on the bench and extended panel you can be sure they'll be back and ready to give it a right go next year

Teams for Sunday are been named across the country with the last few days. Some as early as Tuesday evening. No noises coming from Waterford. It is becoming a bit of a joke in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

A disgraceful refereeing performance by Diarmuid Kirwan of Cork played a key role in Waterford’s defeat by Tipperary in last night’s Munster Under-21 Hurling Championship game in Thurles. However, even with this millstone around their neck, Waterford might still have been able to fashion a victory had they not taken twenty minutes in the first half to realise that this was the knockout championship game they had been preparing for over the last few months. By then they were ten points down, and ultimately this proved to be too big a gap to close despite their herculean efforts to do so in the second half.

In those first twenty minutes Waterford were simply not at the races. Their focus and concentration were close to non-existent, their reactions were slow, they stood off their opposite numbers in the Tipperary team, their first touch was poor and their use of the ball when in possession even poorer.

Apart from having the advantage of being phyically bigger and stronger, right from the beginning Tipperary played with drive and confidence, were excellent in the air, supported and looked for each other and played the ball to great effect. A feature of the game right through was the ability of Tipperary players to emerge with the ball in hand when contesting for the ball on the deck, a reflection both of superior skill levels, physical strength and will to succeed.

Tipperary got off to the best possible start when a high ball into the Waterford goal area in the second minute was fielded by Brian O’Meara who went to ground with a penalty being awarded by the referee. Stephen O’Keeffe got a hurley to Noel McGrath’s shot but its sheer force carried it over the line. Thereafter, with Tipperary in complete control around the middle of the field and Noel McGrath rampant, the scores began to pile up, many of them long range wind-assisted efforts. Their second goal arrived in the 14th minute with Darragh Fives having his hurley blatantly held as he moved to intercept Tipperary corner forward John O.Neill who gained possession on the end line, worked his way in and passed the ball across the square to Seán Curran who batted to the unguarded net.

After 20 minutes Waterford were down 2-7 to 0-3 and in serious trouble. However, they finally managed to raise their game at this stage, winning some good ball in midfield and the half back line. They outscored Tipperary 0-4 to 0-2 in the remainder of the half but also missed numerous scoring opportunities in this period. Some of these were long-range efforts into the wind but others were bad misses from close range. Twice in this period Eamon Murphy, playing on the left wing, skinned his marker and came through on goal with nothing materialising. On the first occasion he chose to veer left and had his shot for goal blocked when Maurice Shanahan was unmarked in front of goal. On the second occasion he was blatantly taken out by a Tipp defender with no free ensuing. However, Murphy could have taken two easy points which would have made Waterford’s second half task more manageable.

Apart from these incidents, there were several situations where Waterford were in a position to mount serious attacks on the Tipperary goal but didn’t, whereas in the second half, Tipperary were clinical in exploiting similar situations.

Owen Whelan started the second half in midfield in place of the ineffectual Martin O’Neill. It was something of a surprise that Whelan didn’t start the game, as reportedly he had done well in challenge games and his strength, aggressiveness and work rate were what was needed against Tipperary and especially the rampant Noel McGrath. However, Whelan was obviously too wound up coming into the game and was promptly yellow carded for a wild pull at the throw-in. Ten minutes later, after he failed to control a pass and was dispossessed by McGrath, he tripped up the Tipperary man and was yellow carded again which meant his dismissal.

It as an innocuous enough foul which contrasted starkly with an incident just before it when Maurice Shanahan was dragged down when driving through the middle of the Tipperary defence. If it was a soccer match the player in question would have got a straight red, but referee Kirwan didn’t even award a yellow card for what was a much more serious foul than Whelan’s.

However, as often happens following a sending off, it was the team with the man short which went on to dominate the proceedings, and, with Jamie Barron and Darragh Fives doing much better at the back, Philip Mahony providing great leadership and centre back and Stephen Roche playing out of his skin in midfield, Waterford gradually began to peg back the big Tipperary lead which had been further extended when John O’Neill notched their third goal shortly after Whelan’s dismissal.

The fat was really in the fire when, with just three minutes left, the ball broke to Brian O’Sullivan on the left of the Tipperary goal and he fired expertly inside the post to leave just three points between the teams. With Waterford now in complete control in midfield, another goal chance was created when the ball broke to Paudie Mahony to the left of the Tipp goal. However, he opted for a ground stroke when he could have lifted, and his weak effort was easily smothered by the Tipperary goalkeeper. Moments later, substitute Owen Connors tapped over a point from directly in front of goal when there was definitely a goal on.

There was time for another Waterford attack when a long ball was sent into the goal area. However, as Maurice Shanahan advanced to collect, he was blatantly knocked from behind by his marker but the referee waved play on, allowing Tipperary to break out and work the ball up the field for John O’Neill to fire home Tipperary’s fourth goal in what was the last play of the game.

All in all, this is a game which Waterford could well have won, had they begun with the type of spirit and intensity they showed in the second half, and one must question the team management for not having their players’ heads right going into the game. Most of these players have had experience of championship victory over Tipperary before, so neither the opposition nor the occasion should have been too much for them.

On an individual basis, Stephen O’Keeffe had little chance with the four shots that beat him although his decision to come way out of goal to tackle the inrushing John O’Neill for Tipperary’s third goal was probably ill-advised, as O’Neill easily sidestepped O’Keeffe to finish to an empty net. The Waterford full back line was put under a lot of pressure in the first half, with Noel Connors’s effectiveness being limited by a leg injury sustained halfway through the half. However, 17-year-old Jamie Barron (who is a marvellous prospect) and Darragh Fives were much more prominent after the change of ends.

Philip Mahony played a captain’s part in the second half, winning ball after ball and using it well to help set up Waterford attacks. At right half back Paudie Prendergast hit some good balls, but I thought that his defensive technique was inadequate which is hardly surprising for someone whose club and intercounty career to date has been at midfield or in the forwards. I am wondering how come his cousin John was not even on the panel, as he was very impressive at wing back for Lismore seniors last year. On the other wing, Stephen Daniels also hit a lot of ball, but overall I was disappointed with his contribution, knowing what he is capable of. In particular, he seemed content to go on the back foot and lob high balls forward into no man’s land, rather than using his pace to drive forward, look up and play more constructive ball.

I had been very dubious about the selection of Stephen Roche before the game, but in the end he was Waterford’s best player over the hour, making up for his small stature with his work rate and high skill level. Unfortunately his partner Martin O’Neill was never at the races, being far too slow in execution for this level.

At wing forward, Eamonn Murphy was rarely in the game apart from his two forays on goal described above. Indeed, given how easily he got past his marker on those occasions, it is something of an indictment of the other players that he got hardly any possession at all in the second half before going off injured late in the game. At centre forward I thought that Adam Brophy made little impression before being replaced midway through the second half. I was surprised that it took so long to make this change and that it was Owen Connors who was brought on rather than Eoin Madigan who had been very impressive off the bench for De La Salle in last year’s club championships and whose height and size were needed against this big Tipperary team. He was eventually brought on in place of Eamonn Murphy with three minutes left on the clock which was too late to make a difference.

At left half forward Paudie Mahony worked hard and converted six frees, but his failure to score from play, despite having several chances, was a big let-down. He was also short with two second half frees which only went as far as the Tipperary goalkeeper. At right corner forward, Brian O’Sullivan was busy enough without having much effect in the first half, but really stormed into the game after half-time, ending up with 1-4 from play (a total which will no doubt have been noted by the senior selectors). Maurice Shanahan moved between full forward and the half forward line throughout the match, and looked somewhat less than fully match fit which is not surprsing given that his year so far has been ravaged by injury. However, he worked himself into the ground, despite some heavy treatment from the opposition which referee Kirwan generally ignored, and landed four excellent points from play.

In the left corner, Jake Dillon was largely anonymous until moved out around midfield in the second half where his skill and intelligence were put to good use. Overall, ten of the starting line-up along with Brian O’Halloran (a huge loss) are eligible for this grade again in 2012, and with further excellent talent coming forward from the current minor team and those of the last two years, the prospects at this level continue to be good.

Waterford: Stephen O’Keeffe; Jamie Barron; Darragh Fives; Noel Connors; Paudie Prendergast; Philip Mahony; Stephen Daniels; Stephen Roche; Martin O’Neill; Eamonn Murphy; Adam Brophy; Paudie Mahony (0-6, all frees); Brian O’Sullivan (1-4); Maurice Shanahan (0-4); Jake Dillon (0-1).
    Substitutes: Owen Whelan (for Martin O’Neill, half-time); Owen Connors (0-1, for Adam Brophy, 47 mins); Eoin Madigan (for Eamonn Murphy, 57 mins).

Tipperary: Paul Ryan; Ciarán Haugh; Kevin O’Gorman; Stephen Maher; Brian Stapleton (0-1); James Barry; Pádraig Heffernan; Noel McGrath (1-1, goal from penalty); Joe Gallagher; Seán Curran (1-0); Paddy Murphy (0-2); Adrian Ryan (0-3); John O’Dwyer (0-1, from free); Brian O’Meara (0-1); John O’Neill (2-2).
    Substitutes:.Sean O’Brien (for Barry, half-time); Aidan McCormack (for Gallagher, 39 mins); Michael Sheedy (0-1, for Curran, 56 mins).

Giveitfong wrote: »
    On the other wing, Stephen Daniels also hit a lot of ball, but overall I was disappointed with his contribution, knowing what he is capable of. In particular, he seemed content to go on the back foot and lob high balls forward into no man’s land, rather than using his pace to drive forward, look up and play more constructive ball.

Great summary lad - but I think you are being a bit hard on Daniels. I thought he did better and better as the game wore on. I think he is a class act and if his application matches his ability will be an All Star soon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Giveitfong wrote: »
    A disgraceful refereeing performance by Diarmuid Kirwan of Cork played a key role in Waterford’s defeat by Tipperary in last night’s Munster Under-21 Hurling Championship game in Thurles. However, even with this millstone around their neck, Waterford might still have been able to fashion a victory had they not taken twenty minutes in the first half to realise that this was the knockout championship game they had been preparing for over the last few months. By then they were ten points down, and ultimately this proved to be too big a gap to close despite their herculean efforts to do so in the second half.

In those first twenty minutes Waterford were simply not at the races. Their focus and concentration were close to non-existent, their reactions were slow, they stood off their opposite numbers in the Tipperary team, their first touch was poor and their use of the ball when in possession even poorer.

Apart from having the advantage of being phyically bigger and stronger, right from the beginning Tipperary played with drive and confidence, were excellent in the air, supported and looked for each other and played the ball to great effect. A feature of the game right through was the ability of Tipperary players to emerge with the ball in hand when contesting for the ball on the deck, a reflection both of superior skill levels, physical strength and will to succeed.

Tipperary got off to the best possible start when a high ball into the Waterford goal area in the second minute was fielded by Brian O’Meara who went to ground with a penalty being awarded by the referee. Stephen O’Keeffe got a hurley to Noel McGrath’s shot but its sheer force carried it over the line. Thereafter, with Tipperary in complete control around the middle of the field and Noel McGrath rampant, the scores began to pile up, many of them long range wind-assisted efforts. Their second goal arrived in the 14th minute with Darragh Fives having his hurley blatantly held as he moved to intercept Tipperary corner forward John O.Neill who gained possession on the end line, worked his way in and passed the ball across the square to Seán Curran who batted to the unguarded net.

After 20 minutes Waterford were down 2-7 to 0-3 and in serious trouble. However, they finally managed to raise their game at this stage, winning some good ball in midfield and the half back line. They outscored Tipperary 0-4 to 0-2 in the remainder of the half but also missed numerous scoring opportunities in this period. Some of these were long-range efforts into the wind but others were bad misses from close range. Twice in this period Eamon Murphy, playing on the left wing, skinned his marker and came through on goal with nothing materialising. On the first occasion he chose to veer left and had his shot for goal blocked when Maurice Shanahan was unmarked in front of goal. On the second occasion he was blatantly taken out by a Tipp defender with no free ensuing. However, Murphy could have taken two easy points which would have made Waterford’s second half task more manageable.

Apart from these incidents, there were several situations where Waterford were in a position to mount serious attacks on the Tipperary goal but didn’t, whereas in the second half, Tipperary were clinical in exploiting similar situations.

Owen Whelan started the second half in midfield in place of the ineffectual Martin O’Neill. It was something of a surprise that Whelan didn’t start the game, as reportedly he had done well in challenge games and his strength, aggressiveness and work rate were what was needed against Tipperary and especially the rampant Noel McGrath. However, Whelan was obviously too wound up coming into the game and was promptly yellow carded for a wild pull at the throw-in. Ten minutes later, after he failed to control a pass and was dispossessed by McGrath, he tripped up the Tipperary man and was yellow carded again which meant his dismissal.

It as an innocuous enough foul which contrasted starkly with an incident just before it when Maurice Shanahan was dragged down when driving through the middle of the Tipperary defence. If it was a soccer match the player in question would have got a straight red, but referee Kirwan didn’t even award a yellow card for what was a much more serious foul than Whelan’s.

However, as often happens following a sending off, it was the team with the man short which went on to dominate the proceedings, and, with Jamie Barron and Darragh Fives doing much better at the back, Philip Mahony providing great leadership and centre back and Stephen Roche playing out of his skin in midfield, Waterford gradually began to peg back the big Tipperary lead which had been further extended when John O’Neill notched their third goal shortly after Whelan’s dismissal.

The fat was really in the fire when, with just three minutes left, the ball broke to Brian O’Sullivan on the left of the Tipperary goal and he fired expertly inside the post to leave just three points between the teams. With Waterford now in complete control in midfield, another goal chance was created when the ball broke to Paudie Mahony to the left of the Tipp goal. However, he opted for a ground stroke when he could have lifted, and his weak effort was easily smothered by the Tipperary goalkeeper. Moments later, substitute Owen Connors tapped over a point from directly in front of goal when there was definitely a goal on.

There was time for another Waterford attack when a long ball was sent into the goal area. However, as Maurice Shanahan advanced to collect, he was blatantly knocked from behind by his marker but the referee waved play on, allowing Tipperary to break out and work the ball up the field for John O’Neill to fire home Tipperary’s fourth goal in what was the last play of the game.

All in all, this is a game which Waterford could well have won, had they begun with the type of spirit and intensity they showed in the second half, and one must question the team management for not having their players’ heads right going into the game. Most of these players have had experience of championship victory over Tipperary before, so neither the opposition nor the occasion should have been too much for them.

On an individual basis, Stephen O’Keeffe had little chance with the four shots that beat him although his decision to come way out of goal to tackle the inrushing John O’Neill for Tipperary’s third goal was probably ill-advised, as O’Neill easily sidestepped O’Keeffe to finish to an empty net. The Waterford full back line was put under a lot of pressure in the first half, with Noel Connors’s effectiveness being limited by a leg injury sustained halfway through the half. However, 17-year-old Jamie Barron (who is a marvellous prospect) and Darragh Fives were much more prominent after the change of ends.

Philip Mahony played a captain’s part in the second half, winning ball after ball and using it well to help set up Waterford attacks. At right half back Paudie Prendergast hit some good balls, but I thought that his defensive technique was inadequate which is hardly surprising for someone whose club and intercounty career to date has been at midfield or in the forwards. I am wondering how come his cousin John was not even on the panel, as he was very impressive at wing back for Lismore seniors last year. On the other wing, Stephen Daniels also hit a lot of ball, but overall I was disappointed with his contribution, knowing what he is capable of. In particular, he seemed content to go on the back foot and lob high balls forward into no man’s land, rather than using his pace to drive forward, look up and play more constructive ball.

I had been very dubious about the selection of Stephen Roche before the game, but in the end he was Waterford’s best player over the hour, making up for his small stature with his work rate and high skill level. Unfortunately his partner Martin O’Neill was never at the races, being far too slow in execution for this level.

At wing forward, Eamonn Murphy was rarely in the game apart from his two forays on goal described above. Indeed, given how easily he got past his marker on those occasions, it is something of an indictment of the other players that he got hardly any possession at all in the second half before going off injured late in the game. At centre forward I thought that Adam Brophy made little impression before being replaced midway through the second half. I was surprised that it took so long to make this change and that it was Owen Connors who was brought on rather than Eoin Madigan who had been very impressive off the bench for De La Salle in last year’s club championships and whose height and size were needed against this big Tipperary team. He was eventually brought on in place of Eamonn Murphy with three minutes left on the clock which was too late to make a difference.

At left half forward Paudie Mahony worked hard and converted six frees, but his failure to score from play, despite having several chances, was a big let-down. He was also short with two second half frees which only went as far as the Tipperary goalkeeper. At right corner forward, Brian O’Sullivan was busy enough without having much effect in the first half, but really stormed into the game after half-time, ending up with 1-4 from play (a total which will no doubt have been noted by the senior selectors). Maurice Shanahan moved between full forward and the half forward line throughout the match, and looked somewhat less than fully match fit which is not surprsing given that his year so far has been ravaged by injury. However, he worked himself into the ground, despite some heavy treatment from the opposition which referee Kirwan generally ignored, and landed four excellent points from play.

In the left corner, Jake Dillon was largely anonymous until moved out around midfield in the second half where his skill and intelligence were put to good use. Overall, ten of the starting line-up along with Brian O’Halloran (a huge loss) are eligible for this grade again in 2012, and with further excellent talent coming forward from the current minor team and those of the last two years, the prospects at this level continue to be good.

Waterford: Stephen O’Keeffe; Jamie Barron; Darragh Fives; Noel Connors; Paudie Prendergast; Philip Mahony; Stephen Daniels; Stephen Roche; Martin O’Neill; Eamonn Murphy; Adam Brophy; Paudie Mahony (0-6, all frees); Brian O’Sullivan (1-4); Maurice Shanahan (0-4); Jake Dillon (0-1).
    Substitutes: Owen Whelan (for Martin O’Neill, half-time); Owen Connors (0-1, for Adam Brophy, 47 mins); Eoin Madigan (for Eamonn Murphy, 57 mins).

Tipperary: Paul Ryan; Ciarán Haugh; Kevin O’Gorman; Stephen Maher; Brian Stapleton (0-1); James Barry; Pádraig Heffernan; Noel McGrath (1-1, goal from penalty); Joe Gallagher; Seán Curran (1-0); Paddy Murphy (0-2); Adrian Ryan (0-3); John O’Dwyer (0-1, from free); Brian O’Meara (0-1); John O’Neill (2-2).
    Substitutes:.Sean O’Brien (for Barry, half-time); Aidan McCormack (for Gallagher, 39 mins); Michael Sheedy (0-1, for Curran, 56 mins).
    In fairness it looks to me like the referee wouldnt have been as bad if ye had won.!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barnaneboi

Just wondering are their any teams out there that would be interested in a Junior hurling challenge the weekend of the Waterford/Limerick game in Thurles. We are a club within 7 miles of Thurles and maybe might be some teams out there who would be interested. Anyone interested send me a PM.

As usual great report Giveitfong. Have to agree with you our first half performance was very, very poor and thats where the match was lost. Similar to the league match in the same venue we didnt start hurling until after a man was sent off. In fact in a few matches in the league this year we have been slow out of the blocks. Last year against Clare were were poor in the first half also, we might not get away with that against Limerick on the 12th.

To be fair, I think Waterford were fighting back before Whelan got sent off. They had reduced the deficit to five and were on the front foot, any talk of the sending off galvanising them is not true in my opinion, I think that it just didn't halt their momentum. You could see that Whelan is strong and fit and a good player to have in your team, but his touch wasn't of the calibre of others. I was more disapointed that Madigan didn't get more of a game because to me he would have been a threat as a full forward, something we didn't have.

I also didn't think Daniels was great. I have huge respect for him and can't for the life of me understand how Fitzgerald hasn't given himself or twomey a chance at senior level this year, but similar to the all-ireland club semi final I think he got skinned a few times on Wednesday.

To be fair, I think Waterford were fighting back before Whelan got sent off. They had reduced the deficit to five and were on the front foot, any talk of the sending off galvanising them is not true in my opinion, I think that it just didn't halt their momentum. You could see that Whelan is strong and fit and a good player to have in your team, but his touch wasn't of the calibre of others. I was more disapointed that Madigan didn't get more of a game because to me he would have been a threat as a full forward, something we didn't have.

I also didn't think Daniels was great. I have huge respect for him and can't for the life of me understand how Fitzgerald hasn't given himself or twomey a chance at senior level this year, but similar to the all-ireland club semi final I think he got skinned a few times on Wednesday.

yeah I agree, I think waterford had come to with in 4 points at the time whelan was sent off, Tipp had driven some woeful wides at the time and where really allowing us back into the game at that stage, what could have been eh if we had the 15, but sure if me aunt had balls she'd be me uncle :)

tom thum wrote: »
    In fairness it looks to me like the referee wouldnt have been as bad if ye had won.!

As a Waterford Supporter, one that was not at the game, i tend to agree. Its always great to have some one to blame when a team loose and more often than not its the poor old referee.

I would love to see some of the knockers of a referee take charge of a few games and see how they get on. A few years back, a person nutorious for shouting abuse at referees during a game started off at an under 16 game. The referee quickly got fed up of it. He delayed a puck out been taken after the ball went wide and made in the direction of the person making the noise. The referee took the whistle from around his neck and offered it to the person on the side line. It stopped them in their tracks for the rest of the game.

I would like to see some people come up with someone other than the referee to condem when a team looses a game. How many times do you hear supporters admit that their team was just not good enough to win the game in question. How many people blame those on the line for their actions. They may have made a call during the course of a game that changed it. For example when the Waterford selectors took Dave Bennett from the field in 1998 when he was playing well against Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi final, a game Kilkenny only went on to win after the Lismore man was withdrawn from the action. Bennett in his years in the Waterford jersey was often the scapegoat when it came to putting a player on. Often it appeared that he was taken off just for the sake of it to send someone on. In the same way when a team is not playing well, and switches have to be made, who is most often taken off first, the corner forward. Its always his fault.

How many supporters in Waterford blamed the management team after the crazy tactics they used for the 2008 All-Ireland Final. Asking players that were hurlers to go out and rough up the opposition something foreign to them as a team was mad. The same in 2010. Playing extra men out the field in the All-Ireland semi final was madness, and leaving the Tipp backs mop up every ball that came their way. That was mad. Who blamed the people that came up with these tactics which were Waterford's down-fall.

The referee is not always to blame for a team's loss. Yes he will make mistakes in a game that could have an imput into how the game finishes, but so to do players and the management team. If we dont blame the management and the players for mistakes they make, we should not blame the referee for his mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

How many supporters in Waterford blamed the management team after the crazy tactics they used for the 2008 All-Ireland Final. Asking players that were hurlers to go out and rough up the opposition something foreign to them as a team was mad. The same in 2010. Playing extra men out the field in the All-Ireland semi final was madness, and leaving the Tipp backs mop up every ball that came their way. That was mad. Who blamed the people that came up with these tactics which were Waterford's down-fall.

The referee is not always to blame for a team's loss. Yes he will make mistakes in a game that could have an imput into how the game finishes, but so to do players and the management team. If we dont blame the management and the players for mistakes they make, we should not blame the referee for his mistakes.

I'm sorry Tom but that's a ridiculous argument you're making IMO. There is not a single person in this county that didn't blame Davy Fitz for the tactics we used in 08 or 10, but I fail to see what that has to do with any of this. We know your opinion, it has been debated to death, so why bring it up again? Again I didn't hear of anybody that blamed 08 or 10 on a referee so I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make, apart from wanting to get dragged into a debate some of us are frankly sick of at this stage.

Good or bad management decisions should not make referees immune to criticism. Yes we know some people go overboard with the abuse they get, but the opposite approach and letting refs get away with murder would have horrible effects also. I wasn't at the U21 game so I can't comment on those incidents, but I would trust the vast majority of the posters in this thread to know when a defeat is a referees fault and when it is more of a management issue.

Daysha wrote: »
    I'm sorry Tom but that's a ridiculous argument you're making IMO. There is not a single person in this county that didn't blame Davy Fitz for the tactics we used in 08 or 10, but I fail to see what that has to do with any of this. We know your opinion, it has been debated to death, so why bring it up again? Again I didn't hear of anybody that blamed 08 or 10 on a referee so I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make, apart from wanting to get dragged into a debate some of us are frankly sick of at this stage.

Good or bad management decisions should not make referees immune to criticism. Yes we know some people go overboard with the abuse they get, but the opposite approach and letting refs get away with murder would have horrible effects also. I wasn't at the U21 game so I can't comment on those incidents, but I would trust the vast majority of the posters in this thread to know when a defeat is a referees fault and when it is more of a management issue.

I am not saying that Wednesday night's defeat was down to the management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I am not saying that Wednesday night's defeat was down to the management.

I know you're not, but dragging Davy and past defeats into it is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Daysha wrote: »
    I know you're not, but dragging Davy and past defeats into it is pointless.

I'd agree with that. Kind of flogging a dead horse at his stage. I don't see the point in complaining that he is in the job now, we should be getting behind him and the lads. If at the end of the year we exit due to tactical naivity on the part of the management team then is the time to complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone who wasn't at the game the other night trying to suggest that the defeat had nothing to do with the ref just shouldn't bother posting saying "ah the ref probably just had a bad game and made a few bad calls". Unless you were there, you would have seen how shocking he was.
    Just one quick example: right in front of me in second half, I think it was either Paudric Mahony or Dillon had (all in the same instance) his hurley held, was being held back (jersey being pulled), had a hurley around his neck and was then challenged high around the chest/neck region a few seconds after. No free given. That was one of many instances.
    Don't get me wrong, I wish Tipp all the best and I think they've a very good chance of back to back U21 AI's but the point I'm making is the incompetence of the ref.

The suggestion that the ref wouldnt have been as bad if we'd won is a poor defense in my opinion. I mean of course your not gonna dwell on a refs perfomance if you win.

I dont think Tipp will win the all-ireland u21 this year. Galway should have won it at Minor and Kilkenny did, and also Cork and Clare should be good. I just think Tipp should have buried the game when they had the chance they didnt and there are some definite weaknesses to be exploited by other teams.

The draws for the preliminary and first rounds of the GAA Hurling Championship Qualifiers will take place on Sunday evening in RTÉ.

As a result of the TV scheduling of games on the day, these draws will not be broadcast live.

They will be posted on GAA.ie circa 5.30.

The GAA can also confirm that the draw for the first round of the GAA Football Championship Qualifiers are scheduled to take place on Sunday week in Carrick On Shannon and will be broadcast live on RTÉ.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT]
    June 5th – RTE Studios, Donnybrook 4.30pm

Preliminary Phase Hurling
    Team slips required: Cork
    Carlow
    Offaly
    Laois
    Antrim
    One of:
    Westmeath/Galway

• One bowl – all six teams included
    • Previous parings CAN meet again
    • First team drawn has home advantage.
    • 2 Preliminary Phase games are drawn with winners advancing to 1st Round Proper.
    • 1st team drawn plays second team; 3rd team drawn plays 4th team
    • Teams not drawn advance to Phase 1 proper along with winners of the two ties.

Preliminary Phase games to be played on June 18th

Phase I Hurling (2 games)
    Team slips required: Team A (i.e. winner of 1st drawn Preliminary game above)
    Team B (i.e. winner of 2nd drawn Preliminary game above)
    The two teams not drawn in the Prelim phase (above)
    • One Bowl
    • Open draw
    • First team drawn has home advantage

Games to be played on June 25th

• Winner of these games advance to Hurling Phase 3 draw where they will be drawn against a Phase 2 winners (Phase 2 is beaten Leinster Semi-Finalists v beaten Munster Semi-Finalists).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

The suggestion that the ref wouldnt have been as bad if we'd won is a poor defense in my opinion. I mean of course your not gonna dwell on a refs perfomance if you win.

I dont think Tipp will win the all-ireland u21 this year. Galway should have won it at Minor and Kilkenny did, and also Cork and Clare should be good. I just think Tipp should have buried the game when they had the chance they didnt and there are some definite weaknesses to be exploited by other teams.

Ya i'd fancy Clare on the strength of their minors the last few years

The draws for the preliminary and first rounds of the GAA Hurling Championship Qualifiers will take place on Sunday evening in RTÉ.

As a result of the TV scheduling of games on the day, these draws will not be broadcast live.

They will be posted on GAA.ie circa 5.30.

The GAA can also confirm that the draw for the first round of the GAA Football Championship Qualifiers are scheduled to take place on Sunday week in Carrick On Shannon and will be broadcast live on RTÉ.

June 5th – RTE Studios, Donnybrook 4.30pm

Preliminary Phase Hurling
    Team slips required: Cork
    Carlow
    Offaly
    Laois
    Antrim
    One of:
    Westmeath/Galway

• One bowl – all six teams included
    • Previous parings CAN meet again
    • First team drawn has home advantage.
    • 2 Preliminary Phase games are drawn with winners advancing to 1st Round Proper.
    • Teams not drawn advance to Phase 1 proper along with winners of the two ties.

Preliminary Phase games to be played on June 18th

Phase I Hurling (2 games)
    Team slips required: Team A (i.e. winner of 1st drawn Preliminary game above)
    Team B (i.e. winner of 2nd drawn Preliminary game above)
    The two teams not drawn in the Prelim phase (above)
    • One Bowl
    • Open draw
    • First team drawn has home advantage

Games to be played on June 25th

• Winner of these games advance to Hurling Phase 3 draw where they will be drawn against a Phase 2 winners (Phase 2 is beaten Leinster Semi-Finalists v beaten Munster Semi-Finalists).

My guess at the draw will be

Prem Round-
    Laois vs Antrim
    Offaly vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Offaly/Westmeath vs Cork
    Carlow vs Laois/Antrim

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My guess at the draw will be

Prem Round-
    Laois vs Antrim
    Offaly vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Offaly/Westmeath vs Cork
    Carlow vs Laois/Antrim

I know the draws are OPEN and FAIR, (they always are when it comes to the GAA), but i dont think that Offaly and Cork will meet. I think that Croke Park officials will want them to remain in the competition as long as possible at the expense of those that played in divisionn two of the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Dissapointed with the result of the under 21 match Wednesday night also the abuse the ref received at the end of the match from a section of the Waterford fans was disgraceful. I wouldnt give Kirwin 2 out of 10 for his performance but to see him leaving the field with a Garda escort wasnt a very nice way for any game to finish What will happen at the next Waterford game he takes charge of. If we had won this game which I taught was quite possible I doubt there would have been any protest. Looking forward to the senoir and minor games against Limerick I hope we will have no crib after these games.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Dissapointed with the result of the under 21 match Wednesday night also the abuse the ref received at the end of the match from a section of the Waterford fans was disgraceful. I wouldnt give Kirwin 2 out of 10 for his performance but to see him leaving the field with a Garda escort wasnt a very nice way for any game to finish What will happen at the next Waterford game he takes charge of. If we had won this game which I taught was quite possible I doubt there would have been any protest. Looking forward to the senoir and minor games against Limerick I hope we will have no crib after these games.

Well Said. Have been trying to say the same here with a few days but you but it better. Blaming the ref is a cop out.

mccarthy37 wrote: »

Nobody was gonna hit him, the garda escort was sheerly for protection purposes much the same as the barriers in Croke Park are there to avoid instances where someone gtes trampled on (which has never happened). That escort just proved how bad he was. And if they'd won, true, nobody would have booed, but does that somehow excuse Kirwan for being really bad? I don't see how it does.

I think referees need to be fitter. Players put in a huge effort during a year to achieve their objectives, but I don't think the measures in place at present ensure that referees have a sufficient level of fitness. I know that it's very difficult to get refs these days, and they're not spoilt for choice, but simply ensuring that they had an appropriate level of fitness would improve decisions and they get paid as well so that much such be obligatory.

• Advertisement

Nobody was gonna hit him, the garda escort was sheerly for protection purposes much the same as the barriers in Croke Park are there to avoid instances where someone gtes trampled on (which has never happened). That escort just proved how bad he was. And if they'd won, true, nobody would have booed, but does that somehow excuse Kirwan for being really bad? I don't see how it does.

I think referees need to be fitter. Players put in a huge effort during a year to achieve their objectives, but I don't think the measures in place at present ensure that referees have a sufficient level of fitness. I know that it's very difficult to get refs these days, and they're not spoilt for choice, but simply ensuring that they had an appropriate level of fitness would improve decisions and they get paid as well so that much such be obligatory.

I am not directing this at you, but in general, what you say above really does sum it up when it comes to alot of supporters, regardless of what team you support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement