Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

the most recent 3d film i saw was the green hornet and i really disliked it, found it adjatated me

avatar was the only 3d film i enjoyed

which is better for thor?

redt0m wrote: »
    It is a scam when there is a 2D version out there and your local cinema isn't showing it because then they can charge the extra - money for old rope, that's what it is...

Or maybe you're local were unable to obtain a 2D copy of the film as many cinemas have yet to convert to 3D and as such would be getting prefrence when it came to 2D copies of the film.

BArra wrote: »
    the most recent 3d film i saw was the green hornet and i really disliked it, found it adjatated me

avatar was the only 3d film i enjoyed

which is better for thor?

Green Hornet is an example of a bad film with an even worse conversion. Watching the 2D version of the Green Hornet I was struck by the complete lack of any shots which looked like they were shot so as to make use of the tech. Watching Thor in 2D you can see a number of shots which were obviously composed for 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Galvasean wrote: »
    A lot of (not unwarranted) 3D bashing going on here, but surely people knew the tacked on 3D would be no good and/or there is a 2D option available?
    Personally, (after the Clash of the Titans debacle) I go out of my way to check up on how (un)effective the 3D effects in a movie are before payin to go see it in 3D - much like reading reviews on BluRay transfers. Caveat Emptor.

Similar to the guy above, local cinemas to me are 3D screenings only, 2D screenings at hours not applicable to me working and all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

saw it again today with a very impressed 7 year old nephew in tow, he loved it, and I enjoyed it a lot more in 2D, the sound was ridiculously loud though, I like my blockbusters loud but not to the point where people talking is making the speakers rumble and the action scenes were actually painful, especially since there was a lot of kids in the audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What cinema did you see it in Krudler? I saw it in Cineworld (screen 3) and the audio levels were very comfortable.

I'm in Limerick so saw it in the Omniplex, its usually grand in there but christ it was booming for the whole movie. The scenes where the leader of the ice giants was talking the bass in his voice was making the speakers rumble it was so loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

saw it the other day :) a good one. nothing outstanding, but nothing bad i can think of. and surprisingly this is almost a 2hrs movie. so this is a well done movie indeed. probably best for family audience with kids etc.

and ohya,regarding the 2D/3D. i am pretty sure you will still enjoy this film in 2D(save you some bucks etc) but IF you are a star gazer fan, you get to see alot pretty starry scenes in the film in 3D, which i enjoyed them very much.

I'm surprised at the 2 hour run time. It didn't feel that long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

All in all i'm looking forward to The 1st Avenger Captain America and how it will all tie all the others together with Tony Starks dad being in it and references to Cap were already made in the Hulk Movie with Tim Roths character using a variation of the Super Soldier formula to help him fight the Hulk
    Captain America also apparently appears in a deleted opening scene of The Incredible Hulk.
    krudler wrote: »
    saw it again today with a very impressed 7 year old nephew in tow, he loved it, and I enjoyed it a lot more in 2D, the sound was ridiculously loud though, I like my blockbusters loud but not to the point where people talking is making the speakers rumble and the action scenes were actually painful, especially since there was a lot of kids in the audience
    I watched it in Movies @ Swords in Dublin last night, and the sound was fairly booming at times. It was a little annoying.
    Yeah, it fairly flew by. It was a real easy film to watch. I really loved it. Although, I wasn't too keen on his mates, as they were all twats. Loved the
    Hawkeye
    appearance, and Stan Lee's cameo made me laugh out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

humanji wrote: »
    Although, I wasn't too keen on his mates, as they were all twats. Loved the
    Hawkeye
    appearance, and Stan Lee's cameo made me laugh out loud.

i see them as cheeky cosplayers :pac: (costume player) they are mostly for comedy effect i think.

humanji wrote: »
    Loved the
    Hawkeye
    appearance,

I missed that! When did he appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I missed that! When did he appear?
    Assumed he was the guy with the bow and arrow up on the eagles nest, thought it was a bit of a high profile actor to play such a bit part, assume he will be featuring more in future marvels

And on the sound I'd agree, when the Destroyer was firing his eye beam thingies I was literally rattling in my seat.

On a sidenote watched in UCI Coolock Sunday afternoon, had heard that place went to the dumps a bit but thought it was excellent with lovely seating arrangement, butter popcorn was the attraction in the first place

when Thor is trying to get the hammer back the first time in the SHIELD compound thingy, Jeremy Renner is playing him in The Avengers movie too so it was a nice little setup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

TheDoc wrote: »
    Assumed he was the guy with the bow and arrow up on the eagles nest, thought it was a bit of a high profile actor to play such a bit part, assume he will be featuring more in future marvels
    Yes, he's even referred to by that name, I think, but his choice of weapon is also an obvious enough pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this again today and i have to say i was surprised how much of the action ive forgotten thank to the story being so good.

hiddleston REALLY comes off better the second time around
    the subtlety of him setting thor up really stands out when you know he's going to betray him

i went to see this in 2d again as i was put off the 3d version from all the comments here on how irrelevant it was and looking out for it im glad i did as i cant see how the battlescenes on jotenheim could look anything but a murky mess as it was tough going in 2d !

this is actually the first film all year that ive gone to see twice and it holds up well. i think the last was tron 2 .

also
    somehow thank to the perspective of the film i didnt cop that it actually WAS the cosmic cube in that breifcase in the after the credits scene. i dont know why but first time around it looked more like a flat plate. anyway thats definetly the captain america link and im well stoked for that film now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thought this film was actually surprisingly good. Very difficult thing to get right due to all the mythology etc but it came across very well. Didn't overexplain anything, and kept it all fairly entertaining throughout. Some great acting and set-pieces.

Watched it again today, except this time in 3D. It made decent use of the 3D. It was no Avatar, but some of the scenes are helped considerbly. However, there is still the 3D glasses associated darkness to contend with which is annoying. So overall, I probably wouldn't recommend seeing it in 3D purely on the basis ofteh extra cost. However, if you cn see it with 3D at no extra cost (in some wonderful cinema I am not currently aware of) it is worth the payoff.

The film stands up very well on the second viewing. Acton scenes are still exciting and the humouris still funny. Perfect 1st date movie :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ghall

Loved this movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

3d or not ?

I havent seen the movie yet, but I know its the kind of Sh*t I would enjoy. So far, any 3d movie Ive watched hasnt "wowed" me.

Is the movie any good ?

If you dont give two Sh*ts about 3d, does it make much of a differance with or without 3d ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

None. I have seen it in both and if anything, the 3D is distracting. It gets to the point where you are almost looking out for the '3D shot'.

Save some money and see it in 2D.

Drumpot wrote: »
    3d or not ?

I havent seen the movie yet, but I know its the kind of Sh*t I would enjoy. So far, any 3d movie Ive watched hasnt "wowed" me.

Is the movie any good ?

If you dont give two Sh*ts about 3d, does it make much of a differance with or without 3d ?

IMO
    It made decent use of the 3D. It was no Avatar, but some of the scenes are helped considerbly. However, there is still the 3D glasses associated darkness to contend with which is annoying. So overall, I probably wouldn't recommend seeing it in 3D purely on the basis ofteh extra cost. However, if you cn see it with 3D at no extra cost (in some wonderful cinema I am not currently aware of) it is worth the payoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched it last night, found it to be better than I expected but was a bit too heavy on the cheese in some parts. The romance was a bit weak,
    Natalie Portman getting wet for Thor as he described all the answers she had being looking for and then being devestated when he left. She was fairly devestated over a guy she only knew for about 2-3 days
    :pac:

The 1960's Batman camera angles were a bit off from the rest of the movie but that's a tiny gripe from an otherwise failry decent flick. Some of the action set pieces were well done (though the CGI looked really ropey in some parts)

Although, I found it hard to forget I was watching Kim from Home & Away as Thor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Second attempt at this as my connection asploded on the first try.

Not a bad movie, don't think it was a great one either but a pleasant enough experience that was far better than what the previews made it out as. Felt like there were portions of the film missing when you're expected to empathise
    with Thor and Foster being seperated from each other like it was some great tragedy when they barely know each other,
    and
    Odinsleep
    not being explained.

Very happy with the portrayal of
    Loki
    . Much deeper than I would have expected although at the time
    that line about Loki always being jealous of Thor was said, it didn't really ring true. Trickster god or not, I know more about Loki (of the film) than I do about Sif to be convinced.

It may be cheesy as Helheim at times but it's satisfying to have a superhero movie presented in a different way. In this case, like a theatre production. While reflecting what I know of the comics, and obviously more palatable when Thor plays with Iron Man and Captain America later on,
    I'd rather the deity aspect wasn't as downplayed, as it seemed to be trying to avoid annoying theist members of the audience. Silly tippy-toeing when Thor is basically brought back from death as a reward for his sacrifice. Magic is science is fine for the movie but I like the layered Marvel Universe where pantheons coexist with magic and science.

Ridley wrote: »
    . While reflecting what I know of the comics, and obviously more palatable when Thor plays with Iron Man and Captain America later on,
    I'd rather the deity aspect wasn't as downplayed, as it seemed to be trying to avoid annoying theist members of the audience. Silly tippy-toeing when Thor is basically brought back from death as a reward for his sacrifice. Magic is science is fine for the movie but I like the layered Marvel Universe where pantheons coexist with magic and science.

I don't know much about the Thor comics, but I think the film choosing to portray the Norse Gods as aliens of sorts worked. Gods can be tricky things to adapt to film (see the Clash of the Titans remake for a botched attempt). The Asgardians in the Thor film were fantastical but believable (in terms of suspension of disbelief) IMO.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't know much about the Thor comics, but I think the film choosing to portray the Norse Gods as aliens of sorts worked. Gods can be tricky things to adapt to film (see the Clash of the Titans remake for a botched attempt). The Asgardians in the Thor film were fantastical but believable (in terms of suspension of disbelief) IMO.

It always made me wonder why everyone in the Marvel Universe doesn't just worship the norse gods, because if they are indeed gods well it's obviously the right religion then?!?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

It's the of sorts that's bit awkward. I think it's easier to get a free pass on outlandish elements with "gods work in mysterious ways" over "it's a kind of magic" but I'd say Thor was trying to have it both ways at times. They're gods, but they're not god gods ;)

I enjoyed Clash too despite it's horrible message that you're a pawn in a larger game and it's a waste of time trying to do anything about it.

Wish someone would do a movie adaptation of The Last Hero. Correct amount of seriousness to the whole business. pacman.gif
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    It always made me wonder why everyone in the Marvel Universe doesn't just worship the norse gods, because if they are indeed gods well it's obviously the right religion then?!?! tongue.gif

The Olympians are pseudo-gods aswell. And the Heliopolitans apparently. ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ridley wrote: »
    The Olympians are pseudo-gods aswell. ;)

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Warring factions then? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Just saw Thor in 3D tonight

I thought it was sh;t :(

It was like a rom-com

• Advertisement

Saw it for the 3rd time today. Still very much enjoyed it.

Advertisement