Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Saw this the other day. I was pleasantly surprised, better then I was expecting. Thought the trailers looked terrible. Nothing amazing just a good entertaining popcorn movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

going to see it in an hour. I cant wait!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

How did that Thor fucker get off of Summer Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

Really enjoyed this movie and agree with pretty much all the comments above, particularly that it was quite humorous.

I came home from work the other day, slammed the front door and bellowed "I demand sustenance" which prompted a swift kick in the ging-gang-goolies. Thought it best not to smash the tableware on the floor after dinner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'll send someone a tenner via paypal if they got into Petmania and ask for a horse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

emrys wrote: »
    guys -anyone who has seen it- thinking of bringing my 8 year old to this (2D) at weekend (loves the trailer) it has a pg rating but I'm wondering if it is suitable?

I went this morning with my 6 year old and he loved it. Nothing in it was an issue. He was with me at Iron Man II aswell.

Surely we are rapidly approaching posting of a youtube clip of the scene where he's being sworn in being dubbed with Boy2Men . Someone needs to make that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it, didn't like the Iron Man series so wasn't expecting much but it surprised me.

Liked the additional post credit scene also.

Went to see it again last night, this time in 2D and really enjoyed it though there were scenes trimmed and entire scenes missing from the 3D version. I'm not sure if this was simply a case of my local cinema making a balls of it or there is in fact some differences between the two. The post credits scene was gone, a scene with Loki and the gatekeeper was missing, some of Dr. Silver's dialogue was removed and two of the action scenes were shorter.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Went to see it again last night, this time in 2D and really enjoyed it though there were scenes trimmed and entire scenes missing from the 3D version. I'm not sure if this was simply a case of my local cinema making a balls of it or there is in fact some differences between the two. The post credits scene was gone, a scene with Loki and the gatekeeper was missing, some of Dr. Silver's dialogue was removed and two of the action scenes were shorter.

Thats sounds bizarre. I saw it in 2D at my local last monday, I can't comment on the action scenes but the post credit scene was still there. Which scene with Loki and the gatekeeper was missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Watched it in 2D. The gatekeeper/Loki scene was definately intact. Sounds like your cinema is really crap Darko...

So yeah, I went to see Thor, thinking it could go either way. I was very pleased with it. Good action scenes, nice effects and lots good natured humour. Exactly what you want from such a film. Think I'll see it again during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it, after the debacle that was Monday nights screening we decided to go see it in 3D in another town. Whe the 3D was far from amazing there were some great uses of it throughout though there were multiple scenes with no 3D at all. Have a ticket for a normal non 3D screening this Friday and I'm rather curious to see how it looks.

So.....recommend 3D or will 2D do the trick?

How much better is the film than the trailer? IMO the trailers look like sh!t but have heard nothing but praise for the actual film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jaykhunter wrote: »

How much better is the film than the trailer? IMO the trailers look like sh!t but have heard nothing but praise for the actual film.

Can't speak for the 2D but the 3D is pretty much entirely pointless, one of the worst offenders of post-production third dimension addition. Stick with 2D, image will be brighter.

As has been said, the film is just entertaining trash, but is entirely aware of that fact, so it's simply good-old entertainment.

the film is just entertaining trash, but is entirely aware of that fact, so it's simply good-old entertainment.

Cheers. Can you equate the overall quality of the film to another i might have seen (superhero/action etc)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cheers. Can you equate the overall quality of the film to another i might have seen (superhero/action etc)?

I think Iron Man is the closest comparison in terms of tone. Structurally it's quite like the original Superman.

2D is the best option, pretty much every dialogue scene in the supposed 3D version is in fact in 2D meaning that you can take the glasses off for a large portion of the film. I'm most likely going to see it again in 2D but projected digitally, when I saw it Friday it was in the wrong aspect ration (the boom was dropping into scenes on a number of ocassions) and looked out of focus at times.

cool, thanks. I'll poke my bro to see this in 2D so. He's not a fan of superhero movies in general but he has been watching the Thor Loki animated deeley so I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Worth a look, good cast, no pop music or stupid dialogue. Hangs together ok, jumps between 'realms' a bit which can be a little annoying but nothing serious. Excellent bad guys too.
    Quite funny in places. There's an after credits bit so I guess there will either be a Thor 2 or it's a lead-in for The Avengers next year.
    If Captain America is half as good as this it will be a pleasant and welcome surprise. Roll on July or August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Its pretty much switch your brain off but I liked it.Thor was hot ,Eric from True Blood nearly in it ,ouch .The man is a God anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Went last night and I have to say it was the first time in a long time that I have been that bored in a film. I thought it was awful.

The 3D was absolute muck. The dark scenes were almost blurry and the 3D itself was pointless.

His band of merry cohorts were ridiculous, Natalie Portman was hideously underused, and in general it was just a boring, predictable film.

2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

groovie wrote: »
    There's an after credits bit so I guess there will either be a Thor 2 or it's a lead-in for The Avengers next year.
    In the credits it says 'Thor will return in the Avengers'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Granted, but I don't know if
    Loki is going to be in that movie, or in a sequel to Thor
    , if you follow me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

In the Avengers comic book Loki takes control of the Hulk causing the Avengers to form together to stop him ..and with the Cosmic cube being revealed in the after credits scene its looks as if Loki will use that try and take over earth and Tom Hiddleston has already confirmed he will be in Avengers even joking with Chris Hemsworth (thor) that its going to take a lot more than you to stop me next summer,

All in all i'm looking forward to The 1st Avenger Captain America and how it will all tie all the others together with Tony Starks dad being in it and references to Cap were already made in the Hulk Movie with Tim Roths character using a variation of the Super Soldier formula to help him fight the Hulk

Back to Thor i can't wait to see this in 2d the 3d as others said was fairly poor and made everything darker especially the scenes in Jottenheim which were some of the best parts of the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

a solid enjoyable movie - but 3d is the greatest con in cinema - totally redundant in this film - just a license to up ticket prices:mad:

emrys wrote: »
    a solid enjoyable movie - but 3d is the greatest con in cinema - totally redundant in this film - just a license to up ticket prices:mad:

I don't think that 3D is a con, poorly done 3D conversions are a con but films shot in 3D and planned accordingly can use the technology to great advantage. Avatar had some truly amazing moments which were literally jaw dropping, the waking from cryo sleep is one of the best moments in cinema. Drive Angry 3D uses the technolgy to it's advantage, the flashback sequence during which three images are layered atop one another is visually astounding and shows just what happens when a director with some innovation uses teh tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thumbs up here, me and the misses both thoroughly enjoyed it after expecting it to be poor.

I'm still hating 3D so much, it makes action scenes look incoherant and a compelte mess.

Went to UCI coolock, perfect showing, but you could not see what was hapenning in most of the fight scenes due to the 3d,

I wish it would go die in a cave.

On the film though, really enjoyed it and was happily impressed with the cast :)

For once a comic book film where no actor annoyed me

A lot of (not unwarranted) 3D bashing going on here, but surely people knew the tacked on 3D would be no good and/or there is a 2D option available?
    Personally, (after the Clash of the Titans debacle) I go out of my way to check up on how (un)effective the 3D effects in a movie are before payin to go see it in 3D - much like reading reviews on BluRay transfers. Caveat Emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Galvasean wrote: »
    A lot of (not unwarranted) 3D bashing going on here, but surely people knew the tacked on 3D would be no good and/or there is a 2D option available?

The unfortunate thing is, my local cinema only has it on in 3D - I'd say this is true for a lot of folks out there - the whole thing is a scam as well as being crap...

redt0m wrote: »
    The unfortunate thing is, my local cinema only has it on in 3D - I'd say this is true for a lot of folks out there - the whole thing is a scam as well as being crap...

To be fair it's hardly a scam, while the film was shot in 2D Branagh did plan for the conversion and all the effects work was created in 3D. Pirinha 3D was a far worse conversion than Thor, at least with Thor you could easily see what was occuring during action scenes.

redt0m wrote: »
    The unfortunate thing is, my local cinema only has it on in 3D -

Ah, bummer :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

To be fair it's hardly a scam

It is a scam when there is a 2D version out there and your local cinema isn't showing it because then they can charge the extra - money for old rope, that's what it is...

Advertisement