Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What really happened Osama bin Laden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's the difference, but still a substantial percentage of people - in the face of a wall of evidence - still choose to believe something else. I guess you are talking about the people in the 'middle ground', who'd like to see some photographic evidence at least. CT fans will tell you that the Yanks could easily knock out a fake if they wanted (in fact, whatever they eventually produce will be declared fake anyway). That fact that they aren't bothering, I would not construe as evidence that the guy did not die.

Personally I think those who don't believe in the moon landing are misguided or are doing so because it's kind of fashionable to do so. This is different. If the US Govt walked into a court with the evidence they have presented so far there would certainly grounds for reasonable doubt.
    johndoe99 wrote: »
    if he was not dead, he'd make another video saying so and that would be the end of Obama, so he's definitely dead. But I am still wondering if he was killed in the way the americans state.

I have no doubt the guy is dead but the how, where and when are something to be sceptical about.
    al28283 wrote: »
    Think of the implications of the US ever being caught out in a lie like this. The government would fall and it would probably be the end of America as we know it.
    Whatever benefits would come from it simply don't justify the risks.

The US Govt told blatant lies over WMD in Iraq and I mean BLATANT lies, yet Bush was re-elected in 2004 and the US did not collapse. Those lies led directly to the Iraq War and the deaths of innumerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ajraf

I am unsure/ Open to all possibilities.
    When was the last time he produced a video??
    Would it not be better for him if people thought he was dead? noone would be looking for him so why would he produce another one if he was alive? he could carry on with his work and nobody would blame him. if Osama is still alive, the americans have just given him a huge advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He died years ago
    ajraf wrote: »
    When was the last time he produced a video??
    Would it not be better for him if people thought he was dead? noone would be looking for him so why would he produce another one if he was alive? he could carry on with his work and nobody would blame him. if Osama is still alive, the americans have just given him a huge advantage.

They are all listed here

Last one was released in January of this year

They are all listed here

Last one was released in January of this year

That was an audio tape. I believe it is 4 or 5 years since a video was released with a moving image of him in it.

He died years ago
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    That was an audio tape. I believe it is 4 or 5 years since a video was released with a moving image of him in it.

My mistake.. I misread ajraf's post

• Advertisement

My mistake.. I misread ajraf's post

No problem. It's actually something else to consider. No video since 2007 and even then he didn't look himself if ya know what I mean.

r174926_663590.jpg

2004 (his previous appearance on video) on the left and 2007 on the right. Looks like he got the "Just for Men" out for the beard. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

He died years ago
    Looks like he got the "Just for Men" out for the beard. :D
    It may be the light, be he definitely looks a bit jaundiced in the later picture.

It may be the light, be he definitely looks a bit jaundiced in the later picture.

He looks fairly banjaxed in the 2007 image alright. Also the dyed beard is a bit curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ajraf

I am unsure/ Open to all possibilities.
    Maybe he never had any actual video footage of himself? just something to think about. Was he not roumered to have doubles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

He died years ago
    He looks fairly banjaxed in the 2007 image alright. Also the dyed beard is a bit curious.

He could have been exhausted, or undernourished in the early picture.

And he can't shave the beard, a Muslim man his age in the region without a beard would be a dead give away. Dying his beard is the closest thing he has to disguise.

• Advertisement

Di0genes wrote: »
    He could have been exhausted, or undernourished in the early picture.

And he can't shave the beard, a Muslim man his age in the region without a beard would be a dead give away. Dying his beard is the closest thing he has to disguise.

Disguise? He made a video for the world to see while in disguise? Kind of defeats that purpose don't ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just a note on those points:
    Chipboard wrote: »
    They found him but instead of dropping a bomb on him they risked their lives and his possible escape by sending in SEALS.
    He was in a city or a nation the US isn't at war with. In fact, they're sort of an ally, aren't they?
    Even though he was unarmed and they stated that they wanted to take him alive, they killed him. I don't believe this for a moment. Surely a highly trained SEAL would be able to immobilise OBL. In fact when you think about it, surely there would be so much propaganda value in taking him prisoner that they would have done all in their power to do so and would have achieved it, had he been unarmed.
    This I'm not sure about, as I've read mixed reports. Some are saying it was a kill order and others saying it was a capture order, but he was killed. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd go out to kill him. His capture would be a huge political victory, it would have been the show trial of the century and OBL no doubt would be privy to a lot of information that the US would want to get their hands on.

If it was a capture order gone wrong, it makes more sense as they say, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. It could have been accidental and they're just trying to save face.

Or, maybe they didn't want to risk OBL saying something that shouldn't be made public.
    If he wasn't armed why did they have to shoot him up so badly that they now say the photos are gruesome.
    They'd use automatic weapons. He'd have been sprayed with bullets in a short burst, which would fairly rip him open.
    His wife who they killed is now alive but has a bad limp. How they hell could anyone, especially a military person get a detail as important as this wrong.
    There's be a lot of confused reports right after anything like this. Sure they announced WT7 fell before it actually did. ;)
    They confirmed his identity by getting the fastest DNA test in the history of DNA tests (it must have been like one if those pin prick cholesterol tests you buy in the chemists). I'm sure the US has probably perfected the art of the fast DNA test for identifying their victims but it seems almost too efficient to be true.
    As said above, it doesn't take a huge amount of time these days.
    Because they respect Muslims so much they buried him really quickly and at sea, a convenient side effect of which is that we will never know what happened.
    But also you don't get fanatics using the fact that his body wasn't buried as another reason to riot/bomb places. Plus, burying it anywhere on land would open up the possibility of the fanatics trying to recover it or people who hated him trying to desecrate the grave. It's not really worth the hassle, if you look at it from that point of view.

You would think that the States has enough conspiracy theories (man on the moon, JFK, etc) that if they could they would ensure that this doesn't become another.

The thing is, the US doesn't owe us any answers. They don't have to pander to us, just because we refuse to take their word for it. And who knows, if people are talking about this, then maybe they won't be talking about the US deficit.

humanji wrote: »
    Just a note on those points:
    He was in a city or a nation the US isn't at war with. In fact, they're sort of an ally, aren't they?

The US have been launching many drone attacks inside Pakistani territory for some years now so this would be nothing new.
    The thing is, the US doesn't owe us any answers. They don't have to pander to us, just because we refuse to take their word for it. And who knows, if people are talking about this, then maybe they won't be talking about the US deficit.

When they come out a' whoopin and a' hollerin like they have over this they are looking for all the kudos but providing nothing in the way of answers. Certainly the American taxpayer who pays for these military ventures deserves answers when their Govt is making such a public display over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Fair point but I don't think that would have stopped them - they breached the sovereignty of Pakistan and insulted their government afterwards by saying they couldn't be trusted to keep a secret.

If it was a capture order gone wrong, it makes more sense as they say, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. It could have been accidental and they're just trying to save face.

Or, maybe they didn't want to risk OBL saying something that shouldn't be made public.

I don't think that they're saving face. I think they look pretty stupid right now.

They'd use automatic weapons. He'd have been sprayed with bullets in a short burst, which would fairly rip him open.

I've used automatic weapons. You don't have to spray, its a choice. It varies with the weapon but if you keep the pressure on they generally ride up and only the first couple of shots hit the target. The less powerful ones don't ride up but they don't do as much damage either.

There's be a lot of confused reports right after anything like this. Sure they announced WT7 fell before it actually did. ;)

Thats a whole other conspiracy theory.... You would think that the SEAL team would have to submit written reports back to their commander and that these would be accurate enough, certainly in terms of who died:who lived at least.

As said above, it doesn't take a huge amount of time these days.

Accepted. Still, they didn't laze about.

But also you don't get fanatics using the fact that his body wasn't buried as another reason to riot/bomb places. Plus, burying it anywhere on land would open up the possibility of the fanatics trying to recover it or people who hated him trying to desecrate the grave. It's not really worth the hassle, if you look at it from that point of view.

I think that if it had really gone down as they stated, his body wouldn't be buried at all yet. I don't think they have any respect for Muslims or Muslim practice or anyone really.

Maybe not but we facilitated the US war machine (Shannon) so you could argue that future decisions to do or not do so, could be based on what they do when they are 'on location'. Surely we would have to look at that.

Even if what the say is true, I think its stinks and I can't believe the way it is being applauded by supposedly civil governments. WTF does Enda Kenny think he's doing. Will the Irish Army be going out on shoot to kill missions next. There is a reason for due process. We would all hope that OBL would get a fair trial and a quick execution. Sending a bunch of assassins after him is barbaric.

Nelson Mandela was once regarded as a terrorist by the US - imagine ow different things would be if they killed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Di0genes wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Riiiight......

Yes that's what suicide bombing women murderers are. Idealists.

Just how many suicide bombers have been held captive in gitmo?! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

He died years ago
    luketitz wrote: »

Attempted suicide bombers, and the men who order suicide bombings are.

He died years ago
    luketitz wrote: »
    Not enough, I would suggest :rolleyes:
    Too many taxi drivers, and guys in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Chipboard wrote: »
    I've never posted a conspiracy theory before. Seeing as a multitude of people from a range of different sectors of society are calling for proof of OBL's demise, I don't think this really is a conspiracy theory in the way we normally think of conspiracy theories.

There are several pieces to this story that don't add up;
    1. They found him but instead of dropping a bomb on him they risked their lives and his possible escape by sending in SEALS.
    2. Even though he was unarmed and they stated that they wanted to take him alive, they killed him. I don't believe this for a moment. Surely a highly trained SEAL would be able to immobilise OBL. In fact when you think about it, surely there would be so much propaganda value in taking him prisoner that they would have done all in their power to do so and would have achieved it, had he been unarmed.
    3. If he wasn't armed why did they have to shoot him up so badly that they now say the photos are gruesome.
    4. His wife who they killed is now alive but has a bad limp. How they hell could anyone, especially a military person get a detail as important as this wrong.
    5. They confirmed his identity by getting the fastest DNA test in the history of DNA tests (it must have been like one if those pin prick cholesterol tests you buy in the chemists). I'm sure the US has probably perfected the art of the fast DNA test for identifying their victims but it seems almost too efficient to be true.
    6. Because they respect Muslims so much they buried him really quickly and at sea, a convenient side effect of which is that we will never know what happened.

You would think that the States has enough conspiracy theories (man on the moon, JFK, etc) that if they could they would ensure that this doesn't become another.

I don't know what happened to OBL but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say that the powers that be only became aware that he is dead, recently. Maybe they killed him in a missile attack a couple of years ago but didn't know it until now or maybe he died of heart failure, kidney failure etc and they only got confirmation of it lately. There was no propaganda value in just announcing it so they staged a firefight.

I'm sure there are holes in this theory but its at least as credible as the official story.

Most rational input to this thread I've seen.

He died years ago
    They seem to have had no such moral dilemma when deciding to release images of the unidentified corpses..

B][URL="http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/141342/20110504/osama-dead-new-photos-inside-the-compound.htm"]Graphic Images[/URL][/B

They seem to have had no such moral dilemma when deciding to release images of the unidentified corpses..

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/141342/20110504/osama-dead-new-photos-inside-the-compound.htm

A graphic content warning is advisable.

• Advertisement

He died years ago

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/141342/20110504/osama-dead-new-photos-inside-the-compound.htm
    Who released these pictures? Are you sure it was the US?

Who released these pictures? Are you sure it was the US?

They came via Reuters I believe. According to the Guardian.co.uk:
    Pictures allegedly showing the results of US special forces' assault on Osama bin Laden's hideout in Abbottabad. Reuters, who released all but the first picture shown here, have said: 'The photos [were] taken by a Pakistani security official who entered the compound after the early morning raid on Monday. The official, who wished to remain anonymous, sold the pictures. Reuters is confident in their authenticity'.

He died years ago
    They came via Reuters I believe.
    I thought as much. The Yanks only took bin Laden with them, and left the other guys behind. The local press stringers came in after they left, took these pictures, and sold them to Reuters.

No US involvement in their release then.

Something else interesting from this raid is the apparent use of a new type of helicopter by US forces:

article-1382859-0BE1F64C00000578-384_470x423.jpg

mh-x3-660x410.jpg

Good assessment in this link:
    Link

How the fook it crashed is another question?!

He died years ago
    Something else interesting from this raid is the apparent use of a new type of helicopter by US forces:
    At a glance, it looks like they've armoured the weak points. I don't know if it crashed - I heard that it stalled, and perhaps took some damage when it went down (perhaps broke the tail over the wall?). The Seals blew it up before leaving.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

He is alive and well somewhere
    Compare the bin Laden situation with al-Zarqawi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Musab_al-Zarqawi Zarqawi was another of these super-terrorists. He was the leader of "Al Qaeda in Iraq" and had a 25 million dollar bounty on his head. His compound was bombed in 2006. He was buried in the place of death, Iraq despite being Jordanian. His corpse was prominently displayed in a celebratory US press conference

[GRAPHIC IMAGE]

His remains were buried in an unmarked grave in Iraq after the FBI had carried out tests and a military autopsy.
    Col. Steve Jones, command surgeon for Multinational Forces, said an autopsy concluded that al-Zarqawi died from serious injuries to his lungs in Wednesday’s airstrike. An FBI test positively identified al-Zarqawi’s remains.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13275126/ns/world_news-mideast/n_africa/

He died years ago
    Compare the bin Laden situation with al-Zarqawi.
    Could we read anything into the different approaches of the gung-ho 'mission accomplised' WMD seeking cowboy, Bush, and the slightly more thoughtful, conciliatory Obama?

Not enough, I would suggest :rolleyes:
    Too many taxi drivers, and guys in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not only that. They took people in for having a particular brand of Casio watch. http://www.thejournal.ie/leaked-guantanamo-files-reveal-casio-watch-as-sign-of-al-qaeda-training-126119-Apr2011/ and then tortured them. Shameful.

Could we read anything into the different approaches of the gung-ho 'mission accomplised' WMD seeking cowboy, Bush, and the slightly more thoughtful, conciliatory Obama?

I think so (and I am not trying to be argumentative) but only if Obama wasn't already killing Pakistani civilians in drone attacks.

• Advertisement

At a glance, it looks like they've armoured the weak points. I don't know if it crashed - I heard that it stalled, and perhaps took some damage when it went down (perhaps broke the tail over the wall?). The Seals blew it up before leaving.

Looks more than armour. The skin is rivetless to reduce the radar profile and the paint looks like radar absorbing stuff.

Here is a regular Black Hawk tail:

a1608225-226-UH-60A_10997.jpg

Looks like a special ops helo also the newer helo has 5 rear blades versus 4 on a normal one.

Advertisement