Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ/TG4 win Magners League rights

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OKAY, there is a moderation team on this board, we'll do the moderating here. Although we do encourage the use of the "Report This Post" button if you do have something to add.

Now back on topic please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

icdg wrote: »
    OKAY, there is a moderation team on this board, we'll do the moderating here. Although we do encourage the use of the "Report This Post" button if you do have something to add.

Now back on topic please.

no magners league on setanta as its disappeared from its website

itv's rugby world cup rights shows what is the point of paying for setanta, setanta should merge with tv3 into a super irish fta channel network and give rte more real competition for sports rights

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Our-Sports/

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

ftakeith wrote: »

itv's rugby world cup rights shows what is the point of paying for setanta, setanta should merge with tv3 into a super irish fta channel network and give rte more real competition for sports rights

No it doesn't, there could be plenty of matches shown on ITV4 which if the Tour de France and Premiership Rugby are anything to go by will be blanked for UPC customers, so there's still plenty of reason for Setanta and if you check out Setanta's website you'll find there's deferred coverage of key ML games as well as highlights, something I doubt we'll get on RTÉ or TG4 or even BBC NI, unless accessed online which given the quality of streaming won't really be a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

An Tarbh wrote: »
    No it doesn't, there could be plenty of matches shown on ITV4 which if the Tour de France and Premiership Rugby are anything to go by will be blanked for UPC customers, so there's still plenty of reason for Setanta and if you check out Setanta's website you'll find there's deferred coverage of key ML games as well as highlights, something I doubt we'll get on RTÉ or TG4 or even BBC NI, unless accessed online which given the quality of streaming won't really be a viable option.

According to another thread on DigitalSpy from ITV insider the vast majority of games at next RWC will be on ITV1 and not ITV4. Remember most will be played in early morning/breakfast time here beause of NZ time difference so this should not cause clash with ITV1 programmes. As regards Setanta I wouldn't be surprised if it collapses in next year as loss of live ML rights is a major blow. Here in NI if you're a rugby fan (as I am) there's no way you would subscribe to Setanta as RTE/TG4 as well as BBCNI are easily accessible via an aerial and if you have a satellite dish BBC2W/S4C and BBC Alba are all FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

According to another thread on DigitalSpy from ITV insider the vast majority of games at next RWC will be on ITV1 and not ITV4. Remember most will be played in early morning/breakfast time here beause of NZ time difference so this should not cause clash with ITV1 programmes. As regards Setanta I wouldn't be surprised if it collapses in next year as loss of live ML rights is a major blow. Here in NI if you're a rugby fan (as I am) there's no way you would subscribe to Setanta as RTE/TG4 as well as BBCNI are easily accessible via an aerial and if you have a satellite dish BBC2W/S4C and BBC Alba are all FTA.

well there was no clashes in 2003 and yet at least 1 game involving the home nations was shown on ITV2, on top of the quarter final between South Africa and New Zealand, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe buying GMTV will change that but I still wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of games on ITV4, especially as it's widely available in the UK and it's credibility has grown with its coverage of the IPL and Tour de France, rugby world cup coverage would certainly add to that credibility.

• Advertisement

An Tarbh wrote: »
    well there was no clashes in 2003 and yet at least 1 game involving the home nations was shown on ITV2, on top of the quarter final between South Africa and New Zealand, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe buying GMTV will change that but I still wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of games on ITV4, especially as it's widely available in the UK and it's credibility has grown with its coverage of the IPL and Tour de France, rugby world cup coverage would certainly add to that credibility.

If you're correct this would be bad news for those in UK who get their DTT from a relay rather than a main transmitter as most of these are on a 'Freeview Lite' service that does not include ITV4. For this reason I think ITV will put the vast majority of its games on ITV1. BTW there is also some talk of ITV4 going to subscription so if this happened (and I accept it is a big if) even more reason to have most games on ITV1. There is also talk of HC highlights being made available this season on UK terrestrial and rumour is that ITV may have this package which suggests like the EP there will be highlights on ITV4 (although ITV 1 also show later highlights at an ungodly hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Niall Cogley has moved to TV3 with a new venture with the back of Setanta Sport we will see how that pans out.

Merging TV3 and Setanta would significantly reduce the value of TV3 which has already been significantly reduce, it's unlike that TV3's bank (anglo irish) would want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Minstrel27 wrote: »

MOD EDIT<SNIP>.[/I]

No need to post that here. For a start it is available on the Celtic Rugby and provincial branch websites (and elsewhere). Secondly its more appropiate to Rugby. Thirdly, its breaking Celtic Rugby's copyright. Fourthly, such a huge post breaks the flow of the thread.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    No need to post that here. For a start it is available on the Celtic Rugby and provincial branch websites (and elsewhere). Secondly its more appropiate to Rugby. Thirdly, its breaking Celtic Rugby's copyright. Fourthly, such a huge post breaks the flow of the thread.

http://www.magnersleague.com/matchcentre/schedule.php

more live games on rte/tg4 as updated above

It seems that Daire O'Brien has moved to RTÉ for their coverage.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-poaches-obrien-to-lead-the-magners-pack-2314203.html

Would you poach Daire O'Brien? On Setanta he lacked motivation.

As for The Sports Show, has it gone? I know that they have a new Friday Night show called iTalkSport which is a big improvement.

Out of interest do you think RTE/TG4's coverage of ML will be blanked out on Sky here in NI? Last night's Super Cup soccer was blanked out although it was on ITV 4 as well as Sky Sports. Remember even 'Dukes of Hazzard' on TG4 has been blanked out here in NI! Or will RTE/TG4 only blank out matches they're showing live from UK e.g. Glasgow vs Leinster on Friday as these have another broadcaster as the primary rights holder?

Don't think you need to worry. RTÉ.ie is advertising that the online coverage is "Island of Ireland", meaning that it is available in NI to subscribers of local ISPs and those UK ISPs that can allocate NI-specific IP addresses. So I doubt the TV coverage will be blocked.

Also as RTÉ, BBC NI/ALBA, S4C and TG4 seem to be alternating matches its unlikely that RTÉ/TG4 coverage will be block in NI or that BBC NI coverage will be blocked in ROI. Will ROI viewers be able to watch live coverage on BBC/S4C websites?

Elmo wrote: »
    Also as RTÉ, BBC NI/ALBA, S4C and TG4 seem to be alternating matches its unlikely that RTÉ/TG4 coverage will be block in NI or that BBC NI coverage will be blocked in ROI. Will ROI viewers be able to watch live coverage on BBC/S4C websites?

BBC website unlikely. S4C probably.

Surely BBC NI can't be blacked out in ROI as its a FTA channel?

Sky and UPC block certain shows on their EPGs. (very few but it has been known to happen).

Sky and UPC block certain shows on their EPGs. (very few but it has been known to happen).

How do Sky do this as surely it's available FTA on Freesat and is FTA not FTV i.e. doesn't require a viewing card of any kind?

How do Sky do this as surely it's available FTA on Freesat and is FTA not FTV i.e. doesn't require a viewing card of any kind?

They block certain programmes on their EPG. The viewer then has to go find the FTA Satellite broadcast, should they want to watch the broadcast.

• Advertisement

They block certain programmes on their EPG. The viewer then has to go find the FTA Satellite broadcast, should they want to watch the broadcast.

Thanks for that. Very interesting info. Wish this whole programming rights could be solved. Since European borders are now open surely it should be the same for broadcasters across the EU as well or is this too simplistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

No, it can't be blocked, but in the past they have shown different BBC2 programming on BBC2 NI Sat when rights issues were involved.

SRB wrote: »
    No, it can't be blocked, but in the past they have shown different BBC2 programming on BBC2 NI Sat when rights issues were involved.

Is that just on the Sky EPG or FTA Satellite versions of BBC2? How do they introduce those programmes? Also I assumed that Channel 4 has only had some programmes blocked on the Sky EPG, does this also happen to BBC 1 and 2?

We are getting a bit off topic.

To clear this up.

Sky cannot block any BBC satellite transmissions as they are FTA. All BBC services on Sky are FTA. They can block some Channel 4 programmes as the version on the Irish Sky is encrypted.

The few times that the satellite schedule of BBC2 NI differed to the terrestrial/cable version, satellite viewers usually saw what was being shown across the rest of the BBC network.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    To clear this up.

Sky cannot block any BBC satellite transmissions as they are FTA. All BBC services on Sky are FTA. They can block some Channel 4 programmes as the version on the Irish Sky is encrypted.

That's correct. The BBC gave up its VideoGuard licence as it no longer wanted to pay NDS. That was the major motivation behind the BBC going FTA - the cost of running the FTV card scheme and the rather expensive cost of licencing VideoGuard.

The few times that the satellite schedule of BBC2 NI differed to the terrestrial/cable version, satellite viewers usually saw what was being shown across the rest of the BBC network.

As I understand it, that was when BBC NI was showing live GAA that the GAA had sold GB rights to a diffferent organisation (ie Setanta).

I'm not a big fan of this blocking programmes, but unfortunately it is a side effect of the way TV programmes and sports rights are sold. A pan-European market would be nice in theory, in practice it would inflate the cost of rights so much that only large broadcasters such as RTL, Canal Plus, and News Corporation would be able to purchase rights for most major events. It would lead to major consolidation of the EU media market and place control of most commercial broadcasting in the hands of large multinational players (to an even greater extent than it is now).

Thankfully blocking of programmes is minimised by the fact that RTÉ and the BBC basically "look the other way" when it comes to each others rights, and the fact that Channel 4 and Sky clear ROI rights for everything that they buy. Also, be thankful we don't suffer the curse of "simultanious substitution" that the CRTC imposes on US broadcasters operating in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eam

just had a look at setanta schedule for next couple of weeks and they are showing full deferred coverage of the games. also notice that they have english premiership highlights. still wont be subscribing though!!!

eam wrote: »
    just had a look at setanta schedule for next couple of weeks and they are showing full deferred coverage of the games. also notice that they have english premiership highlights. still wont be subscribing though!!!

English premiership highlights are available FTA first on ITV4 (repeat on ITV1) so no real coup for Setanta there.

English premiership highlights are available FTA on ITV4 so no real coup for Setanta there.

Here is where UPC may block content.

I was sure Sky could block content from any of the channel in its "Bonus Package".

Here is where UPC may block content.

I was sure Sky could block content from any of the channel in its "Bonus Package".

Answer then would be to get a Freesat box and plug it in just to watch the rugby!

• Advertisement

Answer then would be to get a Freesat box and plug it in just to watch the rugby!

Well they do provide Setanta Ireland on the basic sub.

Advertisement