Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

is spur hill down for everyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

parasite wrote: »
    is spur hill down for everyone else ?

Spur Hill output is blank, it's still transmitting a signal but no actual output. Mullaghanish is working fine though if you can pick up a signal from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I have just bought a USB DVB-T adapter and tested my signal which is coming from Collins Barracks (I live in Douglas). To my surprise I got a perfect signal and Collins Barracks is sending me RTE1,RTE2, TG4, RTE News, RTENL (test card) and some radio stations. No sign of TV3, presumably because they aren't broadcasting it as I have a strong signal on the others.

My aerial is on a chimney mast and it is a contract Group B that I got for 6 euro in Dwyers. Note that the guy in Dwyers told me that they will not be getting any more contract aerials in and they are out of stock of group C/D aerials. He seemed genuine when he told me that these aerials are "not digital" and would not work with DTT. Obviously he was misinformed. Being a little cynical maybe the real reason they aren't getting more in stock is because there can't be much profit out of a 6 euro aerial.

I also bought a Spur Hill contract aerial online and hope to test that at the weekend. The contract aerials are so small that I might just put both of them on the chimney mast to avoid splitting the coax.

I have no amp and the signal looks pretty good on my netbook, now to invest in receiver and finally dump Sky :)

I'm also in Douglas and wasn't aware that Collins Barracks was transmitting DTT. So far, i've been getting my signals from Mullaghanish on Ch21 and Spur Hill on Ch45. What UHF frequency are you sourcing Collins Barracks from? Be aware that DTT is very forgiving, my UHF wideband aerial is pointing at Collins Barracks, and even though it's pointing in completely the wrong direction for both Mullaghanish and Spur Hill, and the polorization is wrong for both Mullaghanish and Spur Hill, i still get perfect DTT from both those transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

• Advertisement

douglasman wrote: »
    I'm also in Douglas and wasn't aware that Collins Barracks was transmitting DTT. So far, i've been getting my signals from Mullaghanish on Ch21 and Spur Hill on Ch45. What UHF frequency are you sourcing Collins Barracks from? Be aware that DTT is very forgiving, my UHF wideband aerial is pointing at Collins Barracks, and even though it's pointing in completely the wrong direction for both Mullaghanish and Spur Hill, and the polorization is wrong for both Mullaghanish and Spur Hill, i still get perfect DTT from both those transmitters.

Not sure how to check the frequency with the software that I'm using. Do you think it might actually be coming from Spur Hill? I'll take another look later to see if there is a way to see the frequency channel. I had assumed that because it is a grouped antenna and the signal is reported as strong that it must be Collins Barracks (assuming 5 bars is the max signal in the picture I uploaded).

parasite wrote: »
    you can get the same thing for a fraction of the price on dealextreme

Wow, free worldwide shipping is pretty impressive. I'll check them out for my next purchase.

If I split the coax is it likely to increase the risk that I'll need a masthead amp by much? I'd rather not have to use one so I'd sooner put two aerials on the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Wow, free worldwide shipping is pretty impressive. I'll check them out for my next purchase.

Great value if you arent in a rush...takes about 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

The fada on all channels are now showing correctly on my LG LF7700
    RTÉ 1, RTÉ2, RTÉNL 1, RTÉ News

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Souriau wrote: »
    The fada on all channels are now showing correctly on my LG LF7700
    RTÉ 1, RTÉ2, RTÉNL 1, RTÉ News
    Well spotted, working fine now here too on my LG.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

byte wrote: »
    Well spotted, working fine now here too on my LG.

Ditto- two Sony S Series units.
    The 'E' is displayed smaller than the 'RT' to allow space above the character for the fada......?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Also Noticed The Test Channel is now renamed: RTéNL1.

The seem to have changed something in the transport streams of the radio stations as now my Philips TV will only tune Radio 1 and none of the others.

Signal strength from 3 Rock drastically reduced- unable to get a lock on any DTT or DAB in Lucan village

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Now we need the subtitles to be switched on for the LG,
    Digital subtitles work well with Humax but not on LG

douglasman wrote: »

I did some more testing this weekend and found that I can get a strong DTT signal indoors upstairs regardless of the polarity with a grouped UHF aerial and the direction I pointed it at didn't seem to matter either (tried both B and C/D). So I guess this must be coming from Spur Hill, I can't believe how strong the signal is considering analogue reception in the same spot was unwatchable.

Unfortunately the software that came with my USB tuner doesn't show the frequency, anyone know of any free software out there that I can try instead? I am currently using Total Media 3.

Getting A Second Test Channel Named RTNL2 Here this afternoon from Cairn Hill!

Getting A Second Test Channel Named RTENL2 Here this afternoon from Cairn Hill!

So thats 5 channels then?
    The plot thickens!

:)

smccarrick wrote: »
    So thats 5 channels then?
    The plot thickens!

:)

No 6 TV And 4 Radio now in Total. (All on CH 47).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I'm also receiving a 2nd test card channel from Mount Leinster . What was RTÉNL is now RTÉNL 1 showing the same test test card as before , but RTÉNL 2 is showing a new test card with the following on it "RTENL Ath Cliath"
    clipboard02in.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I'm also receiving a 2nd test card channel from Mount Leinster . What was RTÉNL is now RTÉNL 1 showing the same test test card as before , but RTÉNL 2 is showing a new test card with the following on it "RTENL Ath Cliath"
    clipboard02in.jpg

Could it be regionalised similar to the ITV regions or is Ireland too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

I've an extra channel here from Kippure/ 3Rock (738MHz) called RTENL2 but it's just a Black screen with a regular clicking noise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

surf board wrote: »
    Could it be regionalised similar to the ITV regions or is Ireland too small?

RTE tried regional TV before. See Broadcasting/Broadcasting History forums on here, theres bound to be some coverage.

http://iolfree.ie/~icdg/local_rte.htm

I think it was the problems in getting the right region on cable and the costs of carrying mirrored regions on satellite for what was at the time only a few minutes a week that made them give it up.

Not sure how to check the frequency with the software that I'm using. Do you think it might actually be coming from Spur Hill? I'll take another look later to see if there is a way to see the frequency channel. I had assumed that because it is a grouped antenna and the signal is reported as strong that it must be Collins Barracks (assuming 5 bars is the max signal in the picture I uploaded).

Just to clarify this, I purchased a receiver and discovered I am getting signal from Mullaghanish and Spur Hill (474Mhz and 666Mhz). Both being received with a group b contract aerial on the chimney pointing at Collins Barracks. Signal averages about 63% which is perfect most of the time. With the same aerial I have a good backup analogue picture. I'm hoping that this will work out as a good long term solution once Collins Barracks is upgraded.

BTW I haven't seen TV3 on any of the scans I have done, is anyone else in Cork receiving this?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

gtg60 wrote: »
    I've an extra channel here from Kippure/ 3Rock (738MHz) called RTENL2 but it's just a Black screen with a regular clicking noise.

Same from Mt Leinster on Ch 39, don't know about 42, 45 and 49 as I don't have them tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

Nice bit of music on TV3, sorry, RTENL1. Still stuck with the analogue signal for 3. Tuned in the RTENL2. The clicking is a sync test for sound/picture. The bars at the bottom should smack together at the same time as the click, (bottom smacking?), just like a movie clapper board. Some DTT tuners can get out of sync, you might have to re boot or change channel to cure this. Heres a suggestion for RTENL2. Put Eamonn Ryan on it all day, like a reality show, wearing sandals, eating muesli, cycling a prius, not buying a ticket for the RDS, etc, and put it on Pay per View, but subscribers have to pay to have the signal scrambled, otherwise you get it clear! That should raise enough to compensate the IRFU for the free to air plan of our green, in every sense of the word, minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Just having a look back at some of the TS recordings I've made over the last year - the Network Information Table always had the DVBT frequency listed as 738.0 MHz, even on the recordings from Ch 61. I always thought that was because the first TX in the chain, if you like, was Three Rock. It's now changed to 198.5. MHz which is a VHF channel. I don't have a VHF aerial pointing at Kippure so I can't scan that, but if someone else would like to try.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

SRB wrote: »
    Just having a look back at some of the TS recordings I've made over the last year - the Network Information Table always had the DVBT frequency listed as 738.0 MHz, even on the recordings from Ch 61. I always thought that was because the first TX in the chain, if you like, was Three Rock. It's now changed to 198.5. MHz which is a VHF channel. I don't have a VHF aerial pointing at Kippure so I can't scan that, but if someone else would like to try.....

That's very interesting, 198.5 MHz is the centre frequency for Channel 8 which is the RRC-06 Band III DVB-T allocation for IRL East (Kippure, Greystones and Three Rock).

Comreg indicated back in 2008 "it is intended that Band III will not be used as part of Irelands National DTT service, which is due to launch late 2009".

Is the one layer that was allocated at RRC-06 now being considered for DTT as part of the replanning for the Digital Dividend?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In 1999 etc RTE did extensive Band III DTT tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote: »
    In 1999 etc RTE did extensive Band III DTT tests.

Thats correct, Channel D I believe. I can understand the VHF testing in 1999 but if SRB is correct why are they testing on VHF now.

If as Comreg indicated in 2008 DTT probably would not be launched in the VHF band why have they changed their mind, could it be due to the reduced spectrum available to tv in the UHF band because of the digital dividend or the infamous MoU and coordination with the UK or simply testing UHF and VHF DTT transmissions simultaneously for possible future use.

Advertisement