Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

I know there is two bog sections , one photo of A bog section, don't know which one and it doesn't say when photo was taken, if it was taken recently then there is a lot of work still to be done IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Furet wrote: »
    While I think it's rather ignominious that the M7 has been halted by a bog which everyone knew was there, infrastructural mishaps do occur all over the place. This is one to read about (see the construction section).

demonstrates the importance of an independent local press willing to investigate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

even the NRA twitter website gets the section to open next week wrong.I'd say a lot of people haven't a clue what is going on with this build.

NRALogo2colour_sq2_bigger.jpg NRAIreland

1. New section on the M7 Limerick to Nenagh from Birdhill to Limerick (15.5km) will open by the end of next week about 22 hours ago via web

is it really SO difficult for somebody in the NRA to:
    1. determine EXACTLY what the state of play is
    2. TELL US
    :mad:

clon wrote: »
    even the NRA twitter website gets the section to open next week wrong.I'd say a lot of people haven't a clue what is going on with this build.

NRALogo2colour_sq2_bigger.jpg NRAIreland

1. New section on the M7 Limerick to Nenagh from Birdhill to Limerick (15.5km) will open by the end of next week about 22 hours ago via web

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

fresca wrote: »
    2. TELL US
    :mad:

Why tell us? Bunch of nobodies on an obscure internet site which many people have never heard of.

I certainly wouldn't feel the need to explain myself to an infrastructure section of a website and would feel even less inclined to if I was so embarassed by the length of the build and the associated problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Berty wrote: »
    Why tell us? Bunch of nobodies on an obscure internet site which many people have never heard of.

I certainly wouldn't feel the need to explain myself to an infrastructure section of a website and would feel even less inclined to if I was so embarassed by the length of the build and the associated problems.

I doubt Fresca was referring to us, as in the users of this forum. I'd imagine he meant us as in the taxpayer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The NRA privatised the risk with this one, in public procurement terms they are spotless. Basically they only need to take possession of a completed and tested road.

Imagine the furore were they to 'open' a crumbling wreck and then pay dearly for the inevitable remedials.

Somebody please get us a photodiary of the Mire of Gloom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillyboy

The road from Nenagh to Birdhill is ready to open. Final sign-off is required on the railway bridges by Iarnrod Eireann and then thunderbirds are go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

sillyboy wrote: »
    The road from Nenagh to Birdhill is ready to open. Final sign-off is required on the railway bridges by Iarnrod Eireann and then thunderbirds are go.

Oh NO :eek: Sign off is required by a trade union operated company. :eek:

/Get's coat!

I doubt Fresca was referring to us, as in the users of this forum. I'd imagine he meant us as in the taxpayer!

Yip - sure am referring to us the tax payers / road users / citizens & residents of this island / AND forum users...
    ... all interested parties...

I would imagine that even the NRA have to admit that the information flow on this project has been prety shambolic.
    How many times have we seen in history that an absence of information does not help the situation. not telling someone, who has a genuine interest in something, is just cruel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

SARASON wrote: »
    Whos we you heard of. Maybe its road building in beirut or third world your thinking of. Sorry i meant to say ireland.

I am not happy with the delay with the road, but this happens all over the world. Ireland is not unique in this area.

Look at the disaster of the Big Dig in Boston, that will cost 10 times the original estimate. Plus the EuroTunnel which didn't meet, , section had to be filled and realigned. Have a read of the Wikipedia page on cost overruns, notice that a lot are infrastructure projects, and almost all in the developed world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_overrun

Plus the Poland issue of two motorway sections that didn't meet, and the train tunnel to low to take trains: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/258609

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

The NRA privatised the risk with this one, in public procurement terms they are spotless.

only after many many painful hard expensive lessons about Public procurement and proper risk management had been re-learned

those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kingofthehill

Temporary speed limit signs were being erected today on the Birdhill link road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lexar

Word has it that the section from Birdhill to Nenagh is going to open next week. Maybe all the Leinster rugby crowd will get lost on the way to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Furet wrote: »
    While I think it's rather ignominious that the M7 has been halted by a bog which everyone knew was there, infrastructural mishaps do occur all over the place. This is one to read about (see the construction section).

oh janey!!!!:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Lexar wrote: »
    Word has it that the section from Birdhill to Nenagh is going to open next week. Maybe all the Leinster rugby crowd will get lost on the way to Limerick.
    You mean redirected into the Bog of Doom, Sorry:eek:, I meant "Leinster Car Park".

There is not enough of them to Fill it. But it is a good start to give them that sinking feeling. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

they were/are working flat out on the tie in with limerick by pass and nenagh to limerick (finnegans roundabout area) during the week, why are they concentrating on this all of a sudden if that part wont be open until the end of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

limklad wrote: »
    You mean redirected into the Bog of Doom, Sorry:eek:, I meant "Leinster Car Park".

There is not enough of them to Fill it. But it is a good start to give them that sinking feeling. ;)

Come on...

LEINSTER!!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

yesterday there were two sections cut open in the road just as you would turn onto the new motorway at the five alleys, today they were filled in and also the kerbing is being finished, also at finnnegans there is a whole load of activity so it's my bet.....forget NRA etc etc but I think Nenagh - Birdhill will open by Good Friday.....the rest is anyones guess:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

The Bog Of Doom (Drominboy) is finished! Lines are now painted, studs in place. Looks like a bit of sweeping/tidying up is all that's left.

Pics taken today .... Looking East :

108912.JPG

Looking West :
    108913.JPG

Looking West again with a lot of zoom....

108914.JPG

• Advertisement

Thanks Kevin for posting the photos of Drominboy. That will save me from walking that section tomorrow. I'll go get some photos of the Annaholty bog section tomorrow and check on progress.

The Drominboy section has come on an awful lot since I walked it last month, looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

lukejr wrote: »
    The Drominboy section has come on an awful lot since I walked it last month, looks great.

...as long as it stays that way - fingers crossed - looks good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

great to see the signs now directing to the 'centre' as well as east and west. makes sense and should be replicated elsewhere. all contributes to good traffic management!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

kevin7 wrote: »
    The Bog Of Doom (Drominboy) is finished! Lines are now painted, studs in place. Looks like a bit of sweeping/tidying up is all that's left.

Pics taken today ....

Looking West again with a lot of zoom....

108914.JPG
    the bog has begun to shift.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

the bog has begun to shift.....

How do you mean? Has something happened? We are getting so many conflicting reports it's hard to know what to believe! I hope the stretch to Birdhill opens at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Deedsie wrote: »
    How do you mean? Has something happened? We are getting so many conflicting reports it's hard to know what to believe! I hope the stretch to Birdhill opens at least!
    No I was just being sarcastic - the photo makes the bends look very sharp:D!

Just back from walking the Annaholty Bog, what a disappointment. Yes there are big issues on this part of the road now. The collapsed section is still not repaired, see photos.

Edge of road collapsed:
    DSC_0221.jpg

New concrete slab:
    DSC_0222.jpg

Cracks on edge of road:
    DSC_0271.jpg

More photos:
    http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac38/lukejr/Annaholty%20Bog%20M7/

This is the section I walked:
    Map.jpg

I am looking back at photos taken on Feb 13 of the same section, really little progress made in the six weeks, almost regressive. The site today really looked like nothing was happening. No machinery at all about, so really I don't know what is happening to this section of road.

Although there is only about 300m of road that is not finished now. As far as I know every other section of this road is now lined and studded, so once this is finished the road should open. That is if there is no further collapses, which I hope there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

It's all very depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

agreed, very depressing is right but they may still open section to birdhill this coming week which is progress...........this will keep us going while they sort out the bog of doom.

• Advertisement

I'm just looking back at the photos I took in Feb of the same section, some are posted to my album on PhotoBucket.

It looks like the collapsed area is where the pile driver was in previous photos. So this could explain the collapse of the road, although it still shouldn't have happened. As for the section that was dug up and new concrete slab put down, it looked fine in Feb.

The concrete median has all been removed for the 300m section or so. Lets hope they can repair this section quickly and have the road open sometime in May.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement