Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neotion MPEG4 Cams - IDTV Ready List (NP4)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

STB wrote: »
    Given that Sony where directly involved in the development of this with Neotion I would imagine it will work! You posted about this sometime back I have just got an updated list from Neotion which I will update on the first post here later... KDL - 52V4000, KDL 46V4000 and 40V4000 now listed as compatible. I'd take the chance Paddy!

I'll post the additional models covered tommorow - unless byte or Watty can edit the original post ?
    Yeah, if you can post the new models, and I'll copy into first post.

Otherwise, start a new thread, and I'll sticky that, and de-sticky this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Dear all,

Does anyone know if the Neotion Viaccess NP4 CAM will work with the Sony RDR-HXD1095 DVD HDD recorder? This model (and all in the range) are of course MPEG2, but this one has a CI slot.

I phoned Sony but got nowhere with the Customer Service advisers who knew diddly squat about how a CAM would work!

Any advice greatly appreciated lads!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

According to a Sony centre techie in Manchester all 2009 models of DVD/HDD units support Mpeg4.

He guaranteed that but check for yourself as the 1095 came out in 2008 if I am not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

John Dough wrote: »
    According to a Sony centre techie in Manchester all 2009 models of DVD/HDD units support Mpeg4.

He guaranteed that but check for yourself as the 1095 came out in 2008 if I am not mistaken.

The ability to play Div-x files and the whether or not the DVB-T digital tuner can decode mpeg4 H264 broadcasts is easy to confuse. They are not the same.

In this case I would imagine the techie was refering to the units supporting MPEG4 Div X files NOT the broadcasting format of MPEG4 H264 AVC. An easy mistake to make as terrestrial broadcasts in Manchester would be in MPEG2 anyhow, so he would not be familiar with MPEG4 as a broadcast format.

The tuner in the Sony model above from what I can see is MPEG2 and therefore not compatible with Irish DTT.

I do not know the answer to whether or not the Neotion Cam would support it. In my opinion given the cost of this machine in the first place it would not be a wise investment.

There are others on the market - due to come out, bear in mind they are quite expensive for what they do!

Sharp Aquos have some new DVRs coming out that allow recording in MPEG4 AVC format....... I would imagine they will be pretty expensive.

sharp-blu-ray.gif

Likewise Toshiba have 2 coming out also. The Toshiba Vardia RD-G503 with a 500GB of hard drive, while the RD-E303 has a 300GB hard drive.

toshiba_vardia-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Well, seems a shame I can watch all those channels on my lovely Sony TV, but there are 4 blank screens when I flick to RTÉ...

Looking around I see there are different types of the CAM, which one would work best, or does it matter, as long as it's MPEG4? I see Conax ones Irdeto ones and Viaccess ones. Where's the cheapest place to buy too? (In sterling if possible!)

• Advertisement

Given that Sony where directly involved in the development of this with Neotion I would imagine it will work! You posted about this sometime back I have just got an updated list from Neotion which I will update on the first post here later... KDL - 52V4000, KDL 46V4000 and 40V4000 now listed as compatible. I'd take the chance Paddy!

About £50. Get the Viaccess one just in case.

cheap on flea bay -use Np4 Cam or Neotion as a search term. Alternatively hunt people down on this forum who have no use for them as they did not work on their TVs.

The ability to play Div-x files and the whether or not the DVB-T digital tuner can decode mpeg4 H264 broadcasts is easy to confuse. They are not the same.

In this case I would imagine the techie was refering to the units supporting MPEG4 Div X files NOT the broadcasting format of MPEG4 H264 AVC. An easy mistake to make as terrestrial broadcasts in Manchester would be in MPEG2 anyhow, so he would not be familiar with MPEG4 as a broadcast format.

The tuner in the Sony model above from what I can see is MPEG2 and therefore not compatible with Irish DTT.

I do not know the answer to whether or not the Neotion Cam would support it. In my opinion given the cost of this machine in the first place it would not be a wise investment.

There are others on the market - due to come out, bear in mind they are quite expensive for what they do!

Sharp Aquos have some new DVRs coming out that allow recording in MPEG4 AVC format....... I would imagine they will be pretty expensive.

sharp-blu-ray.gif

Likewise Toshiba have 2 coming out also. The Toshiba Vardia RD-G503 with a 500GB of hard drive, while the RD-E303 has a 300GB hard drive.

toshiba_vardia-01.jpg

Thanks STB for your input. This is a common mistake as you rightly point out. DivX is MPEG4 which confuses retailers into thinking that units which can play DVDs in this format, can also recieve DTT in the same format.

The trouble with the Vardia units is that they are only available in Japan. :-( See here - http://www.lifeatmost.com/entertainment/toshiba-vardia-rd-g503-and-rd-e303-with-huge-storage-capacity/

If only we could get such a unit in this neck of the woods! It seems to me that manufacturers are leaving it very late indeed before turning out HDD DVD recorders / PVRs for the Irish market - in fact, that's if they ever do in the current financial climate. There just may not be enough uptake...

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

STB you put a lot of effort into a long list of TVs that work with neotion cam,many thanks.But i was wondering have you any idea of the sony KDL 46x2000 ? might a cam work and if so what should i buy? x range seem to be off the list which looks like the whole alphabet.I did buy a cam late last year off a shop in Dublin because they insisted everybody on the boards.ie was buying them but it didnt work(strange thing was it didnt say neotion or NP,it had an engilsh web-add on it,so maybe it was a clone).I also rang sony (Tallaght number) but the call center is UK based, so the help desk told me quote (we have never heard of RTE and why should we as were in England) they then declared RTE do not brodcast in digital because if they did a digital tv would pick it up,i tried to explain mpeg4 back to mpeg2 but no joy with them.I would much appreciate any info you might have on a cam with this tv.

20/20 wrote: »
    STB you put a lot of effort into a long list of TVs that work with neotion cam,many thanks.But i was wondering have you any idea of the sony KDL 46x2000 ? might a cam work and if so what should i buy? x range seem to be off the list which looks like the whole alphabet.I did buy a cam late last year off a shop in Dublin because they insisted everybody on the boards.ie was buying them but it didnt work(strange thing was it didnt say neotion or NP,it had an engilsh web-add on it,so maybe it was a clone).I also rang sony (Tallaght number) but the call center is UK based, so the help desk told me quote (we have never heard of RTE and why should we as were in England) they then declared RTE do not brodcast in digital because if they did a digital tv would pick it up,i tried to explain mpeg4 back to mpeg2 but no joy with them.I would much appreciate any info you might have on a cam with this tv.

Sony.ie 'customer help' goes to UK and as far as Irish DTT is concerned, they are a waste of space! Don't by Sony yet if you're counting on any type of customer care...

20/20 wrote: »

The Turbosat Card perhaps - I would advise against buying anything branded outside of Neotion, since the list of compatabilty is for Neotion Cards.

Neotion have several cards and modules - Heres the table of what each one does.
    http://neotionpocket.com/table.htm

Conformity
    http://neotionpocket.com/about_conformity.php

Your TV IS supported by a neotion card - "Neotion Pocket DTV" Below is an updated list which includes new models supported.

NEOTION_card_En.pdf

The original list is also below.

• Advertisement

STB many thanks you are a wealth of knowledge,thats the first list i have seen with my tv, and iam VERY happy now.I did ask neotion before would the cams work and where to buy them.It took them a month to reply and they had no answers,just but me on a mailing list. Final question i would realy like to buy the neotion pocket recorder cam so which CAS should it be? and where might i get one? hope you can help. btw it was Turbosat cam.

The PVR ones are not out till June as far as I know. I have read test reviews of them (they take up to 32g of an SD card). Apparently they will be STG75+

Neotion are exhibiting them at the US NAB show later this month.

I would imagine Viaccess would be the encryption system of choice of the commercial DTT multiplex operator when they take to the air.

I wonder what Turbosat have been selling ? (Can you scan a picture of it). I think its just a rebadged Np4 cam from Neotion. Ask Turbosat why it does not work....

Thanks STB i will look out for the genuine neotion. The Turbosat cam was bought in a satellite shop in Dublin and the shop insisted it would work because everyone in boards.ie were using them with no problems, even though the cams wouldnt work on the display tvs in the shop(which we only realised when i brought it back). I dont have the cam now because i returned it and got a credit note.

You are right Karsini. Your version of DVB is behaving strangely though from that original scrrenshot. Is the AAC audio decoder the default I wonder ?

Yes. Mpeg2 at 48khz at 128kbs (yes 128!)

I see the audio is back at 192 Kbps now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to bring myself up to speed with this CAM/CI slot business. We have a Samsung LE26A457 with a CI slot, and although it's not on STB's list i'm thinking of giving it a go.

I just want a card that will decode the MPEG4 signal and nothing more (no recording etc) so am i looking for a NEOTION decoder card or a VIACCESS card or are they the same thing?

Where have you guys been getting yours - ebay?

Have a look here http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/ci-ca-modul/ its 59 euro compared to 99 euro in sat-world.

Nice one, i might get this sucker next week.

It think it's just that Viaccess NP4 one i need. Of course if anyone on here is looking to offload such a card just drop me a line:P

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to bring myself up to speed with this CAM/CI slot business. We have a Samsung LE26A457 with a CI slot, and although it's not on STB's list i'm thinking of giving it a go.

I just want a card that will decode the MPEG4 signal and nothing more (no recording etc) so am i looking for a NEOTION decoder card or a VIACCESS card or are they the same thing?

Where have you guys been getting yours - ebay?

Thinking of getting the same myself. I have a Samsung LE 37A456 LCD. Not sure what card to get that will actually be compatible with my set though. Let us know how it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭psham

Thinking of getting the same myself. I have a Samsung LE 37A456 LCD. Not sure what card to get that will actually be compatible with my set though. Let us know how it works out for you.

just got conax NP4 cam for my samsung on egay.. sat4eire, fellow n waterford..
    works perfectly..

psham wrote: »
    works perfectly..

I thought it might be.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58874278&postcount=14

• Advertisement

Well I bought a Viaccess NP4 CAM today so i'll get to try this out in a couple of weeks when home.

Out of interest, is there any difference between the Viaccess and conax brands - are they just rebranded Neotion CAMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

psham wrote: »
    works perfectly..

Cheers for the feedback.

Well I bought a Viaccess NP4 CAM today so i'll get to try this out in a couple of weeks when home.

Out of interest, is there any difference between the Viaccess and conax brands - are they just rebranded Neotion CAMs?

Viaccess and Conax are encryption systems. It means that they also take a subscription card for commercial services, should one exist....

Cheers STB. I hear you. So given that the DTT signal in Eire isn't encrypted, it shouldn't matter which one we use. So say in a year or two setanta make themselves available over DTT, they may use Conax or Viaccess or something else?

So would it be fair to say there's no way of future proofing?

Also, despite the different encryption systems, are they the same in every other regard - i'm wondering if the Viaccess doesn't work then maybe the conax will.

J

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cheers STB. I hear you. So given that the DTT signal in Eire isn't encrypted, it shouldn't matter which one we use. So say in a year or two setanta make themselves available over DTT, they may use Conax or Viaccess or something else?

So would it be fair to say there's no way of future proofing?

Also, despite the different encryption systems, are they the same in every other regard - i'm wondering if the Viaccess doesn't work then maybe the conax will.

J

Boxer, who have the commercial DTT licence, habitually use Viaccess encryption in other countries they operate in- its a reasonable assumption they will do likewise here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Just a question for those with the Neotion Cams, how are ye finding them?
    I have one going here on a Samsung and I find it a bit troublesome, seems to get fairly hot and a few times I had to take it out ond reinsert it to get it going (recognised) again, picture can look a bit blocky at times and can take a good while for the picture to come up after switching channels, not sure if these problems are related to the fluctuating power that Truskmore is throwing out or is it the Cam itself. let us know how everyone else is getting on. oh and is it normal that a cam can be inserted the wrong way around, my cam will slide in either way but will obviously only work when inserted one way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Darth Maul wrote: »
    Just a question for those with the Neotion Cams, how are ye finding them?
    I have one going here on a Samsung and I find it a bit troublesome, seems to get fairly hot and a few times I had to take it out ond reinsert it to get it going (recognised) again, picture can look a bit blocky at times and can take a good while for the picture to come up after switching channels, not sure if these problems are related to the fluctuating power that Truskmore is throwing out or is it the Cam itself. let us know how everyone else is getting on. oh and is it normal that a cam can be inserted the wrong way around, my cam will slide in either way but will obviously only work when inserted one way.

Blocky picture is most probably a signal strength issue- you need a very good signal to ensure you don't get pixilation etc.

Re: hot- thats an understatement. We've two different ones here- you won't actually get a burning smell- but you're this side of having the plastic casing starting to melt. They get incredibly hot......

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Just a quick post to confirm it's working on a Samsung LE40M87BD (The N series are listed at the start of the thread, so handy to know that the M series are working too). (Mods can add this to the existing list if they want).

To Darth, ya sometimes ours can take a few seconds to show a channel after changing stations and you can get the odd moment of stuttering or blocking. I don't think it's a signal issue, as we have 95% quality here, so prob just a few glitches in the transcoding between the card and the Samsung.

Overall, I'm very happy with it, and not having to need another STB is definitely a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ive a philips 42PFL5603D/10 which is popular over here. Im wondering if any of these MPEG4 cams will work with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Do a new full scan at your lcd. If you don't get the irish channels in the channel list anymore a neotion cam makes no sense.
    There was a change in the service data for the ROI channels.

Advertisement