Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I was just reading all those comments on what the governemnt could do to stop us from shopping up the north and it got me thinking...

Can they tax us on the way back through the border? Kinda like the way airport customs stop people returning from America and go thru their cases??

Can you image it, border control, going through all the bags of shopping with a calculator adding up all the bit n pieces to be taxed..

Wouldn't be surprised!

Then they'd also have to tax people bringing wine, etc.. back from the likes of France on the ferries and they certainly haven't been bothered about that over the years.

Took a trip up to Newry this morning. Got to Newry just before 9 and there was a small tailback heading into the town but I'd partially put that down to school runs & people on their way to work. Took us maybe 5 mins from the back side of the traffic until we were parked in the Quays. Car park was as good as deserted at that time and we did a couple of runs through Sainsbury's - mainly food the first time, dumped that out to the car and went back in for booze. Then took our time having some breakfast, wandering around a few other shops and left Newry around 12:30 - car park was wedged with people looping the place for ages and inbound traffic at that stage was backed up most of the way out the Dublin Road.

Based on what I saw this morning I'd say you're really need to be hitting Newry no later than 10:30. Any later and you'd probably be as well off to head to Banbridge or Sprucefield.

btw - one of the girls on the tills in Sainsbury's said the 1L bottles of both Smirnoff & Bicardi were dropping to a tenner on Wed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Bond-007 wrote: »
    TarfHead wrote: »
    I've a mental image of the Taoiseach and the Minister of Finance standing on the side of road north of Dundalk holding signs, like Fathers Ted and Dougal, with messages like 'Down with that sort of thing' and 'careful now !' :D !
    Anyone good with photoshop?

Will this do? 3056697081_93db424f90.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

macplaxton wrote: »
    Will this do? 3056697081_93db424f90.jpg
    Excellent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Brady - as a Newryman could you recommend anywhere in Newry (or elsewhere in the North for that matter), where I could get a good deal on an LCD or Plasma TV?
    I'm currently looking at getting a 42" for sitting room and 32" inch for bedroom (LG or Samsung) and UK prices seem much more competitive. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Right, if it's going to be ASDA then it looks like it'll be Kilkeel. According to the ASDA website, it's the closest, but looks like a hell of a drive. Is there a car ferry across Carlingford Lough?

I have heared from my friend that Kilkeel is too small to drive that long,
    Better go to EK or any other area..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

zing wrote: »
    Then they'd also have to tax people bringing wine, etc.. back from the likes of France on the ferries and they certainly haven't been bothered about that over the years.

Took a trip up to Newry this morning. Got to Newry just before 9 and there was a small tailback heading into the town but I'd partially put that down to school runs & people on their way to work. Took us maybe 5 mins from the back side of the traffic until we were parked in the Quays. Car park was as good as deserted at that time and we did a couple of runs through Sainsbury's - mainly food the first time, dumped that out to the car and went back in for booze. Then took our time having some breakfast, wandering around a few other shops and left Newry around 12:30 - car park was wedged with people looping the place for ages and inbound traffic at that stage was backed up most of the way out the Dublin Road.

Based on what I saw this morning I'd say you're really need to be hitting Newry no later than 10:30. Any later and you'd probably be as well off to head to Banbridge or Sprucefield.

btw - one of the girls on the tills in Sainsbury's said the 1L bottles of both Smirnoff & Bicardi were dropping to a tenner on Wed.

They can't. It would breach European Law. The European Union is first a customs Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Basic question but..

For an overall shopping day i.e. grocery, booze and browsing (clothes, music etc) where is the best town up the North to go to?

I really am dreading Newry tbh. Was thinking of going up to Belfast and staying a night, although we kinda did find Newry to have a more convenient experience on our previous trips.

And now Lisburn is an option.

Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

depends on where you are travelling from. enniskillen is very good and its near the border

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/pn1878.htm :
    4. Duty-Paid and Tax-Paid Goods

(i) General
    No additional duty or tax will be charged on goods bought duty and tax paid (e.g. in shops, supermarkets etc.) in another EU country. However, see below for Alcohol and Tobacco Products.
    (ii) Alcohol and Tobacco Products
    In the case of alcohol and tobacco products:
    • they must be for your personal use,
    • you must retain your receipts as proof that you have paid duty and taxes, and
    • you must personally accompany the goods on arrival.
    Where your purchases of the specific products listed below are equivalent to, or less than, the quantities shown in the table they will, generally speaking, be regarded as for personal use.

Max Goods

800 Cigarettes
    400 Cigarillos
    200 Cigars
    1kg Smoking Tobacco
    10 litres Spirits (whiskey, gin, vodka, etc.)
    20 litres Intermediate Alcoholic Products not exceeding 22% vol (e.g. port, sherry, some liqueurs etc.)
    90 litres Wine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling)
    110 litres Beer

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

gaillimh wrote: »
    Brady - as a Newryman could you recommend anywhere in Newry (or elsewhere in the North for that matter), where I could get a good deal on an LCD or Plasma TV?
    I'm currently looking at getting a 42" for sitting room and 32" inch for bedroom (LG or Samsung) and UK prices seem much more competitive. Thanks

Ensure that where you live the tv channels are transmitted in the UHF frequency band, as a lot of counties in the republic still use the VHF band. Tvs bought in th UK generally only accept UHF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Headed up to Newry myself tomorrow morn. Heading off at 6 with the hope of being there at 8.30. Booze bargains a plenty to be had with 1lt bottles of Smirnoff and Bacardi going for 10 quid:eek:....what's that 12 euro.No brainer TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Just a quick point - whilst ASDA is generally accepted as being the cheapest supermarket, there is no way it could be that much cheaper for someone from Dublin/Kildare/South-East to go out of their way to get to Enniskillen for instance.

You're already making a killing shopping in a Tesco or Sainsburys in Newry/Banbridge/Portadown/Armagh/Lisburn/(dare I mention Dungannon (Sainsbury + Tesco) also?) - imo any further saving you might make in Asda would be wiped out by the extra miles and sheer pain in the ass state of the roads. Dublin - Enniskillen is treacherous, Kilkeel isn't worthwhile. Routes to stick to are M1 and N2.

All supermarkets prices are within a gnats gonad of each other - Sainsburys might be a few pence more than a Tesco who are a few pence more than an Asda, and generally they follow each other fairly closely in terms of booze and other offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Anyone else watch Ireland AM? There a show on tonight on tv3 about people going up North shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

johnfás wrote: »
    They can't. It would breach European Law. The European Union is first a customs Union.

They can't do a whole lot customs wise.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before a new toll or 2 will open on the Dublin road. The only way the government can stop people going north is to toll them out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Just read on Breaking news.ie that John Gormley, minister for the enviroment, wants the government to stop the flow of shoppers to the north! What can he realistically do?

Knowing the shower of clowns we now have for a government they'll bring back the mobile customs patrols they used to have in the 80's that followed people once they crossed back over the border and stopped and searched their cars and confiscated any "contraband".

Used to be that anything over £25 (old Irish ones) was liable to vat and import duty. Of course that meant everyone used to get dodgy receipts from the shops in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

josh59 wrote: »
    Knowing the shower of clowns we now have for a government they'll bring back the mobile customs patrols they used to have in the 80's that followed people once they crossed back over the border and stopped and searched their cars and confiscated any "contraband".

Used to be that anything over £25 (old Irish ones) was liable to vat and import duty. Of course that meant everyone used to get dodgy receipts from the shops in the North.

the EU would never allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stuart1

the EU would never allow it

Do you think that would stop the clowns in government??

Look at the european working time directive for instance! (why are doctors still working up to 120 hours per week?)

Also from the examiner:
    THE Government has failed to uphold the basic rights of victims of crime, according to an independent human rights watchdog.

It said the Government had failed its obligations set out by the UN and the European Council Framework Decision of 2001.

This government does what it likes regardless of the eu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

is there any of the following up there..............tommy hilfiger, fcuk,calvin klein,abercrombie and fitch????????? anybody know??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

is there any of the following up there..............tommy hilfiger, fcuk,calvin klein,abercrombie and fitch????????? anybody know??

http://www.victoriasquare.com/

http://www.junctionone.co.uk/home.asp

.. for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Did a quick blog post about shopping in the UK and Northern Ireland, it's mostly repeating stuff that has been mentioned on this thread but take a read if you like:
    http://bargainsireland.wordpress.com/2008/11/25/shopping-in-the-uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

1210791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Going to travel on a weekday from Galway, Enniskillen looks nearest/easiest. AA routeplanner says just over 3 hours, although I'm sure 4 is more realistic.

Anyway, having gone that far, would I be better travelling a bit further, or will the prices & choice in Enniskillen be as good as anywhere else?

Probably looking at buying a big screen LCD & Mrs Big B will want to go nuts buying presents & clothes.

Probably fill any remaining space in the van with food shopping.

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

big b wrote: »
    Going to travel on a weekday from Galway, Enniskillen looks nearest/easiest. AA routeplanner says just over 3 hours, although I'm sure 4 is more realistic.

Anyway, having gone that far, would I be better travelling a bit further, or will the prices & choice in Enniskillen be as good as anywhere else?

Probably looking at buying a big screen LCD & Mrs Big B will want to go nuts buying presents & clothes.

Probably fill any remaining space in the van with food shopping.

Thanks in advance...
    You'll probably get all you need in Enniskillen. If you were to travel any further, Omagh would be just over half an hour away and has a huge ASDA. It also has a place called DAC (Domestic Appliance Centre) where deals can be found on tv's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No you would probably do it in about 3, if you're going galway, tuam, castlerea, ----carrick on shannon, drumshanbo, enniskillen or carrick on shannon, ballinamore, swanlinbar, enniskillen

the worst part of that journey will be the traffic between galway and tuam.

Thanks guys :)

No you would probably do it in about 3, if you're going galway, tuam, castlerea, ----carrick on shannon, drumshanbo, enniskillen or carrick on shannon, ballinamore, swanlinbar, enniskillen

the worst part of that journey will be tuam.

Fixed your post! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Fixed your post! :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

1210837.jpg

Quote of the day.
    'People will have to see that there is much better value in the Republic of Ireland' - Brian Cowen.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1124/economy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

the worst part of that journey will be the traffic between galway and tuam.

TBH i'd go Galway => Tuam => Sligo => Enniskillen, along the N17 to Sligo and N16 from there on, quicker route I reckon due to better roads. This will definately be done in 3 hours (or under), 2 hours max to Sligo (Unless you get caught in traffic in Claregalway/Tuam) and then 1 hour max to Enniskillen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

DonJose wrote: »
    Quote of the day.
    'People will have to see that there is much better value in the Republic of Ireland' - Brian Cowen.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1124/economy.html

In fairness how the hell does he expect ANYONE to believe that???

Advertisement