Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Does it ever really work out cheaper?

I drove to Belfast and back and the journey cost me about 50 euro petrol

So it'd wanna be some heck of a saving to cover that cost too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

unreggd wrote: »
    So it'd wanna be some heck of a saving to cover that cost too
    Buying 4 litre bottles of spirits will cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Buying 4 litre bottles of spirits will cover that.

Lolz at your name and subsequent method of measuring saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Was in Asda in Enniskillen today and saw 15 bottles of miller for 7 sterling or 20 bottles of Coors light for the same. Though it is great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

just heard cowen on the radio saying that vat has nothing to do with it. And that it's purely the exchange rate and he plans to do nothing. The man hasn't a clue. We need an election badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

NEWSFLASH : Government respond to UK VAT reductions.

1209651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Excellent.

Me and my better half go "Oop Nort" every month to 6 weeks. The last time we were there, we filled, and I mean filled our trolley, and it cost us €113 after the conversion.

Went into Tesco in Cavan on Saturday, and picked up a few bits, almost a basket load really, and it came to €43, without really trying.

Support Irish goods & services? Why? What have they ever really done for me, apart from take FAR too much money off me?

I'm going to continue to go down and shop. I will pick up bits & pieces down here as always, like the perishables that don't make sense to cross the border for.

Why? I don't get paid mega bucks, I like nice things, selection is better up there...makes sense!

Give me a reason to shop here and I will, I'm a consumer and I'm fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Elections are very, very expensive....not sure if it is a cost we can afford.....but keeping these guys in government may cost more....in the 80's we tried to tax our way out of a recession, which did not work, now we are trying the same thing....

Also there should be a middle income tax band, how is earning over 32 grand even considered high income?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Cross-border shopping set to rise as British VAT cut confirmed Print
    Email+
    Share24/11/2008 - 16:15:33
    The rate of VAT in the North is set to fall from 17.5% to 15%, British Chancellor Alastair Darling confirmed in today’s Pre-Budget Report.

The tax reduction, set to be introduced on December 1, is likely to further encourage shoppers in the Republic to make to journey North in an effort to save money on their Christmas shopping.

“I … propose to cut VAT from 17.5 to 15% until the end of next year,” said Darling this afternoon. “This VAT reduction will come into effect next Monday on December 1.”

“The reduction in VAT lowers the amount of tax paid on tobacco, alcohol and petrol.”

The Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association expressed concern however that the 2.5% decrease in VAT may not have the required impact to get consumers spending again.

Glyn Roberts, NIIRTA Chief Executive said: “The PBR does make some positive proposals for restoring business and consumer confidence as well as stimulating demand and getting people spending more.

“However, I would question how effective an impact the 2.5% reduction in VAT will have on retailers. Most food products are already exempt from VAT and the very small decrease in VAT will result in very small reductions in those products which are covered by VAT.

“Some retailers are already running sales reducing products by upward of 20-30%-a 2.5% decrease would have little real impact in seeing real drop in prices which would encourage consumers to spend more.”

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Speaking to reporters in Dublin today, the minister said it was important for Ireland the UK to ensure their actions are "in sync" to ensure neither gains a competitive advantage.

Yeah Mr Gormley.
    That's why Ireland is raising its corporation tax rate to be equal to the UK rate, so that Ireland stops poaching British business.

Oh wait...

Stick to the CFL bulbs John. Moron.

• Advertisement

John J wrote: »
    Yeah Mr Gormley.
    That's why Ireland is raising its corporation tax rate to be equal to the UK rate, so that Ireland stops poaching British business.

Oh wait...

Stick to the CFL bulbs John. Moron.

All that Gobsh!te knows how to do is find excuses to increase taxes.

And to think all of my family voted for him. I have spoken nobody who voted green who is going to vote green ever again. Bye bye green party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just read on Breaking news.ie that John Gormley, minister for the enviroment, wants the government to stop the flow of shoppers to the north! What can he realistically do?
    I do believe Berlin has a second-hand wall going cheap.

Realistically what can he do? Nada, nowt and nothing, or should I say rien considering that the fundamental principle of Europe is the free movement of vodka and Dutch Gold goods and services across state borders.

Of course the ultimate political opportunity now presents itself - vote yes on Lisbon II or we'll pull out of Europe and there'll be no more cheap shopping in Newry for the lot of ye.

I do believe Berlin has a second-hand wall going cheap.

Realistically what can he do? Nada, nowt and nothing, or should I say rien considering that the fundamental principle of Europe is the free movement of vodka and Dutch Gold goods and services across state borders.

Of course the ultimate political opportunity now presents itself - vote yes on Lisbon II or we'll pull out of Europe and there'll be no more cheap shopping in Newry for the lot of ye.

He can start some major roadworks on the North-bound lane just South of the border :)

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    He can start some major roadworks on the North-bound lane just South of the border :)

Good idea, build a new motorway to Newry, that'll stop all north bound traffic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    We children of the 80's know where all the 'unapproved' roads are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Time for a riot folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I was just reading all those comments on what the governemnt could do to stop us from shopping up the north and it got me thinking...

Can they tax us on the way back through the border? Kinda like the way airport customs stop people returning from America and go thru their cases??

Can you image it, border control, going through all the bags of shopping with a calculator adding up all the bit n pieces to be taxed..

Wouldn't be surprised!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I was just reading all those comments on what the governemnt could do to stop us from shopping up the north and it got me thinking...

Can they tax us on the way back through the border? Kinda like the way airport customs stop people returning from America and go thru their cases??

Can you image it, border control, going through all the bags of shopping with a calculator adding up all the bit n pieces to be taxed..

Wouldn't be surprised!

Would be hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

These two quotes from the RTE News website today:
    A statement from the IFA quotes Mr Power saying that the trend of people going to Northern Ireland to do their shopping is the ultimate act of patriotic sabotage.

What :eek:, so we are not allowed to go and save ourselves some money with our shopping and look for bargins now, go and cop yourself on I say and lower prices here instead of putting them up, idiots :rolleyes:
    'People will have to see that there is much better value in the Republic of Ireland' Mr Cowen said.

Where ???

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

davton wrote: »
    Would be hilarious

But can they do that???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Oh yeh great resource of customs officials, on the M1 checking all the shopping bags of people wanting to save a few quid, and the drug smugglers coming through the ports and airports hassle free cos all the customs officials are on the M1...:P
    Hilarious! I can just see the government do that and all...!
    Cos they would never decrease VAT...and sure if they did, would we really see the change in the prices in the shops down here??? I doubt it very much.

Mods - maybe we need to seperate this thread to Bargains found up the north and a discussion on buying up the there?

robo wrote: »
    Mods - maybe we need to seperate this thread to Bargains found up the north and a discussion on buying up the there?
    Not a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Planning on going up this Saturday about 8 or 9 in the morning, what time do the supermarkets or off licenses start selling alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

8AM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Bond-007 wrote: »
    8AM

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Right, we've decided that we're going to try it out next week.

We'll mainly be doing Christmas booze shopping and some Christmas present shopping. Now, coming from Kilkenny and sticking to the main routes, is the best place for what we want Sprucefield? So Kilkenny - Dublin - Lisburn. Or is there a better option via the M1/A1 area?

From reading the thread Sainsbury seems to be a good place for value booze. Is there a Tesco or Asda nearby that may offer a slightly better saving, assuming the distance involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You may be better off going Kilkenny-Dublin-Castleblaney(N2)-Keady-Armagh-Banbridge-Lisburn. That way you avoid all the crowds trying to get into Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You may be better off going Kilkenny-Dublin-Castleblaney(N2)-Keady-Armagh-Banbridge-Lisburn. That way you avoid all the crowds trying to get into Newry.

Even if going during the week?

kleefarr wrote: »
    Even if going during the week?
    It's pretty much mad all week, I would do as Bond-007 says to be honest.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    From reading the thread Sainsbury seems to be a good place for value booze. Is there a Tesco or Asda nearby that may offer a slightly better saving, assuming the distance involved?

You are better off getting the booze in Asda. 1lt Smirnoff was £13 in Asda and £14 in Sainsburys. Sainsburys have a special on 1lt of Baileys for £10 but it ends tomorrow, it costs £13 in Asda. Asda also have 3 bottles of wine for £10 and 2 bottles of 70cl Absolut for £18. With the bargains in Asda you'll find yourself going in and out with trolleys full. I filled up a trolley full of booze, emptied it into my car, then returned for a trolley full of groceries. Also when in Asda look out for the MULTI-BUY stickers, you can get 3 for the price of 2 on a lot of items. Sainsburys do have some good bargains but overall Asda is cheaper. I was in Enniskillen and the Asda carpark was full of Irish reg cars, when I finished shopping I drove across the road to Tesco and it was empty and my car was the only Irish reg car, so don't bother with Tesco.

Advertisement