Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Hi

Can anyone advise on TVs, I am looking at buying a new LCD about 37 or 42 inch and if I buy up north as the Prices are better will i have any problem setting up here.

can any one recommend good place to buy aswell

NO, no problem

Richer soound www.richersounds.ie look for a seperate thread on richersound
    curry also good option but check the stock before going
    My preference is RS

asda cheaper than sainsbury for the last 11 years

enniskillen is the biggest in NI

Straben (Newly opened) is morte than the double size of Enniskellen

Asda is not cheaper than Sainsbury (possible matching rates with one or other item variation),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lalique

Hi

I have also been told that if you are looking at a new kitchen or larger items, it you can produce a VAT invoice from ROI then they won't charge you VAT at 17.5%, but wait until they have quoted you the price first and then tell them. Thinking of ordering my new kitchen from NI and then hiring a van and collecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

oconn wrote: »
    information overload......maybe this is already listed but we are having our first baby in feb ( if not sooner :pac: ) so would it be woth heading up from corkk to get pram/ buggie / cot / mosses basket etc etc ( I dont even know what i need) but i presume the like of mothercare would be better value even allowing for a big drive, Where is the nearest place i can get all these things Newry ? I priced one buggy here was E730 and in England E585
    I dont mind the drive if i know im saving....
    thanks

Congrats on the bundle of joy. You will save big time in the North, last year we bought a Quinny Buzz here for €800, same one costs £350/€415 in Mothercare in the north.

We were in Belfast last week, we found ToysRUs in Sprucefield had a good selection of prams and baby gear. Also check out Argos.co.uk as they are a lot cheaper up north than in the south. Cork to Belfast is a pretty long trip, we stayed overnight and we just travelled from Mullingar. You can get a room with breakfast in the Holiday Inn Express in Belfast for £65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

a couple of other places are Armagh - sainsburys - portadown - Rushmere.

but like all places you need to be there early for parking. Newry is also an early start for parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

ASTRACLUB wrote: »

Asda is not cheaper than Sainsbury (possible matching rates with one or other item variation),

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/jun/09/supermarkets.uknews

It is technically cheaper, Sainsbury's comes in 4th.But the difference is far from huge.I would say go to your closest store and the savings in fuel and travel time will even it out.

DonJose wrote: »
    Also check out Argos.co.uk as they are a lot cheaper up north than in the south.

Same pram in Argos.ie costs over €60 more than in Argos.co.uk, I've given up shopping in the south :eek:

Argos.ie - Mamas and Papas O-Zon Pram - €299.99
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3763296/Trail/searchtext%3EPRAM.htm

Argos.co.uk - Mamas and Papas O-Zon Pram - £199.99
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3763296/Trail/searchtext%3EPRAM.htm

Agree with you, even though this info is more than 18 months old,

Here is the new data saying ASDA is cheaper, AGREE and thanks
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Administration/Supermarket-Price-Checker.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

andyeire wrote: »
    If you are in North Dublin Enniskillen is probably the one to go for .

Huh ?

North Dublin to Newry - less than an hour, presuming the tailback from The Quays isn't too bad ;).

To Enniskillen would be the guts of 2 hours, and the same back again, and no motorway to drive on. You would want to be getting serious savings between Sainsburys and ASDA to justify that overhead. You would, IMHO, be as well to stick to the M1/A1/M1 and go on to Belfast city if you want to go to ASDA.

Check www.asda.co.uk for NI locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Heading up to Armagh or Banbridge in the next week or so to buy alcohol and party stuff for Christmas and house parties over the New Year. I also have shopping lists from other people so I'm wondering is there a limit on how much alcohol one person can buy for personal comsumption? As of now I'm looking at 40 bottles of wine, 10 slabs of Bulmers, 10 of Corona, and at least 20 bottles of spirits.

Travelling from Navan and have decided to avoid Newry but not really a big fan of Armagh town. The supermarket is ok but the rest of the shops in the town aren't great. Banbridge sounds good but we'll have to go cross country through Monaghan to avoid Newry. Is that are best option. We will probably go mid week and be there at 9am when stores open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

ASTRACLUB wrote: »

Asda is definately cheaper. Winner of britains lowest priced supermarket for the past 10 years www.thegrocer.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

andyeire wrote: »

It is technically cheaper, Sainsbury's comes in 4th.But the difference is far from huge.I would say go to your closest store and the savings in fuel and travel time will even it out.
    TarfHead wrote: »
    Huh ?

North Dublin to Newry - less than an hour, presuming the tailback from The Quays isn't too bad ;).

To Enniskillen would be the guts of 2 hours, and the same back again, and no motorway to drive on. You would want to be getting serious savings between Sainsburys and ASDA to justify that overhead. You would, IMHO, be as well to stick to the M1/A1/M1 and go on to Belfast city if you want to go to ASDA.

Check www.asda.co.uk for NI locations.

Yes you are correct what i meant to say was if you wanted to get an Asda Enniskillen would be your best bet.Kilkeel is closer but you have to go through Newry to get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Meathlass wrote: »
    Heading up to Armagh or Banbridge in the next week or so to buy alcohol and party stuff for Christmas and house parties over the New Year. I also have shopping lists from other people so I'm wondering is there a limit on how much alcohol one person can buy for personal comsumption? As of now I'm looking at 40 bottles of wine, 10 slabs of Bulmers, 10 of Corona, and at least 20 bottles of spirits.

Travelling from Navan and have decided to avoid Newry but not really a big fan of Armagh town. The supermarket is ok but the rest of the shops in the town aren't great. Banbridge sounds good but we'll have to go cross country through Monaghan to avoid Newry. Is that are best option. We will probably go mid week and be there at 9am when stores open.

I have never been questioned about the amount of alcohol i presented at the till for purchasing and judging by the trolley loads of booze being wheeled out the door of Sainsburys yesterday, you would think a ban on alcohol in the South was about to be enforced.
    Stock it up and pile it high.. you may need a new suspension for your car though before you get home considering your shopping list of booze:D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Just read on Breaking news.ie that John Gormley, minister for the enviroment, wants the government to stop the flow of shoppers to the north! What can he realistically do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

All they can do is reduce VAT and taxes.

They can't block the roads or seize peoples shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Read somewhere that UK VAT is being reduced to 15% - Does this also apply to NI? If so, it's going to make shopping accross the border even more attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Just read on Breaking news.ie that John Gormley, minister for the enviroment, wants the government to stop the flow of shoppers to the north! What can he realistically do?
    They could try do what the UK did and introduce something to stimulate the economy rather than loading us with more taxes. Somebody needs to go to Leinster House and spell it out for them. :mad:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Read somewhere that UK VAT is being reduced to 15% - Does this also apply to NI? If so, it's going to make shopping accross the border even more attractive
    It applies to the entire UK which includes NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

And the full story from http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidqlgbgbau/ :
    Environment Minister John Gormley says the Government will have to look at ways of stemming the flow of shoppers from the Republic to the North.

Mr Gormley was speaking amid speculation that the British government is set to cut VAT rates by 2.% as part of an economic stimulus package.

The move could exacerbate the existing price differences that are prompting many consumers from the Republic to travel north of the border when shopping.

Speaking to reporters in Dublin today, the minister said it was important for Ireland the UK to ensure their actions are "in sync" to ensure neither gains a competitive advantage.

Look at the piece in bold. Does that mean Gormley is looking for a VAT reduction here too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Thank God this isn't 1988 - we won't be having our stuff confiscated by customs officials. We are part of a common market. If the retailers here cannot compete well that's just tough.

We wanted independence from Britain - we got it - (an awful bloody mistake in my opinion) - we (business) found that competing with the UK wasn't possible - so we campaigned to get into the EEC - common market and all that. Now that the trading situation is as the retailers wanted it they whine! We cannot compete waaaaaaaaaa!

As a family man with a limited budget - I and my wife will be doing all our shopping in the north from now on.

As regards this vat reduction in the UK - what on earth is stopping retailers there from just pocketing the 2%?

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

uk goverment vat rate cut by 2.5% from 1st Dec for the next 13months.
    shopping in the north just got cheaper.

wake up mr Gormley!!

UK VAT cut confirmed from December 1 2008 for 13 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7746241.stm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oconn
    information overload......maybe this is already listed but we are having our first baby in feb ( if not sooner ) so would it be woth heading up from corkk to get pram/ buggie / cot / mosses basket etc etc ( I dont even know what i need) but i presume the like of mothercare would be better value even allowing for a big drive, Where is the nearest place i can get all these things Newry ? I priced one buggy here was E730 and in England E585
    I dont mind the drive if i know im saving....
    thanks
    Congrats on the bundle of joy. You will save big time in the North, last year we bought a Quinny Buzz here for €800, same one costs £350/€415 in Mothercare in the north.
    We were in Belfast last week, we found ToysRUs in Sprucefield had a good selection of prams and baby gear. Also check out Argos.co.uk as they are a lot cheaper up north than in the south. Cork to Belfast is a pretty long trip, we stayed overnight and we just travelled from Mullingar. You can get a room with breakfast in the Holiday Inn Express in Belfast for £65.

For online shopping of all brands http://www.kiddicare.com and enjoy

Bond-007 wrote: »
    UK VAT cut confirmed from December 1 2008 for 13 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7746241.stm

Thats great news, even without this VAT reduction I would still do all my shopping in the north. Our leader don't have a fukking clue on how to run our economy, they've increased taxes and VAT which will harm the ecomony as people will look to shop else where. Just saw the following headline, we have a pack of headless chickens running this country.

ISME: Government has no coherent economic plan

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/mhidqlgbsngb/

Dyflin wrote: »
    Unlikely, it would mean a drop of 6.5% just to be on same rate as UK, then there's the currency difference (or lack of!). Gormley will probably just get another massive tax hike on petrol to try and keep us from making long journeys :mad:.

Even if they reduced VAT to 15% you would still save money shopping up north. The shops in the south need to lower their prices inline with UK shops to have any effect.

DonJose wrote: »
    The shops in the south need to lower their prices in line with UK shops to have any effect.

But isn't below-cost selling illegal ;) ?

The UK top tax rate is increased to 45% on incomes over GBP 150,000.
    We pay 42% (41% plus 1% levy) on incomes over EUR 35,400.

Isn't one of the Government mantras that we are a low-tax economy :rolleyes: ?

Cross-border shopping set to rise as British VAT cut confirmed

The rate of VAT in the North is set to fall from 17.5% to 15%, British Chancellor Alastair Darling confirmed in today’s Pre-Budget Report.

The tax reduction, set to be introduced on December 1, is likely to further encourage shoppers in the Republic to make to journey North in an effort to save money on their Christmas shopping.

“I … propose to cut VAT from 17.5 to 15% until the end of next year,” said Darling this afternoon. “This VAT reduction will come into effect next Monday on December 1.”

“The reduction in VAT lowers the amount of tax paid on tobacco, alcohol and petrol.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidqlqlkfcw/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Meathlass wrote: »

You're right that the rest of Armagh apart from Sainsburys isn't up to much, though it is (slowly) improving. A new M&S foodhall has opened up at Spires retail park (beside an Argos) and there are some pretty decent locally owned homewares stores.

There is no direct route from Navan - Banbridge avoiding Newry. One option could be do your groceries in Armagh (no need to go through Newry) and cut across to Banbridge from there and see some of our fine norn irish scenery :). In fairness I'm really shocked the grocery shoppers haven't caught on to Sainsburys Armagh in a big way - I was there again at 2 last Saturday and had free reign in the place, a few Dub accents floating about but absolutely nothing like to the carnage at Sainsbury Newry or Tesco Banbridge.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They can't block the roads or seize peoples shopping.

I've a mental image of the Taoiseach and the Minister of Finance standing on the side of road north of Dundalk holding signs, like Fathers Ted and Dougal, with messages like 'Down with that sort of thing' and 'careful now !' :D !

• Advertisement

TarfHead wrote: »
    I've a mental image of the Taoiseach and the Minister of Finance standing on the side of road north of Dundalk holding signs, like Fathers Ted and Dougal, with messages like 'Down with that sort of thing' and 'careful now !' :D !
    Anyone good with photoshop?

Advertisement