Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Rules (Rev. 26-Feb-09)

Options
  • 11-08-2002 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

[EDIT]
    These rules have now been superceeded by the rules on the Signatures Forum - this thread remains as a part of history.

Okay, there are a lot of BIG signatures appearing so I am reposting the guidelines in a more prominent place.

Since we have enabled images in people's signatures, I would like to suggest the following guidelines be strictly followed in order to ensure that your signature image does not impede the enjoyment of others.

All signatures should not exceed the following size limits.
    • Text: Including horizontal spaces - 4 lines normal size OR 8 lines small size, and up to 90 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. Do not use the [noparse]
      [/noparse] tags. Carriage returns/new lines are a separate line, so if your sig has three lines of text separated by two spacer lines - that's 5 lines. Sorry, I know it's rather pernickety, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere /pun.
    • Images: Images totalling up to 500 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size. No animated images are allowed.
    Note: for new members, you will not be able to create a signature until you have 25 posts. Please don't spam to hit this target, it'll just result in your posts being deleted.

Please make sure that your signature DOES NOT contain, or link to, profanity, bigotry, racism, or any other content that might be considered offensive by others. While we do not come out and suggest that this site is "family friendly" in nature, we do not want this to be interpreted as an open floodgate for sensitive material. IF WE GET A COMPLAINT, IT WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

Please also make sure that your signature DOES NOT contain any nuisance links.

Your sig should NOT be a giant advertisment for anything. We'll just cut it. A subtle link to something you run online is fine. Use common sense. [Addition 09.02.07 - just to confirm that referral links are not allowed due to additional forum spam]. Centred, glowing, blinking ads will be deleted without notice. You have been warned.

I am hoping that by making this compromise we will, in fact, be able to appease almost everyone. However, if things start to get out of control and the signature facility is being constantly abused, we will have to disable it.

Thanks,

Admins
    --

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Is splitting a larger sig(dimension wise) into 2 seperate images that form the same image acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Celt
    Is splitting a larger sig(dimension wise) into 2 seperate images that form the same image acceptable?

I would doubt that, considering that your signature as a whole would still break the rules.

Can you not fit a nice attractive sig into the dimensions allowed? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bard

I would doubt that, considering that your signature as a whole would still break the rules.

Can you not fit a nice attractive sig into the dimensions allowed? :rolleyes:
    How would it break the rules? The two images wouldn't be over 15k, individually they wouldn't be higher then 60px, and many people have big sigs that are a single image and a few lines of text longer than the image I would use.

How would it break the rules? The two images wouldn't be over 15k, individually they wouldn't be higher then 60px, and many people have big sigs that are a single image and a few lines of text longer than the image I would use.

Erm... note the words "AS A WHOLE"... your ENTIRE signature (all images included) would still be over 15Kb, right?

Erm... note the words "AS A WHOLE"... your ENTIRE signature (all images included) would still be over 15Kb, right?
    No, would be 2 images of 4kb each, each being 60px high.

• Advertisement

No, would be 2 images of 4kb each, each being 60px high.

er... why do you ask then? too wide as one image?

sounds like it'd be fine - dont think theres a restriction on the NUMBER of images in your sig...

er... why do you ask then? too wide as one image?

sounds like it'd be fine - dont think theres a restriction on the NUMBER of images in your sig...
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/patrick.hamilton7/lexcorp.jpg
    That got removed by cloud, so i'll reduce it to 120px height and cut it in two

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

interesting...

... you're trying to find legal loopholes in something that isnt legal? :)

If the image wasnt acceptible (and it DID seem a tad big) then its not going to be acceptible chopped into a million bits if what you see on-screen hasnt changed.

I notice you said you've reduced it etc, so it might be acceptible now. But cutting it into two wont do you any good. We arent bound by "rules" we've created. We'll just rewrite the rule :)

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    (and it DID seem a tad big)
    Says he with the image twice the max height :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Says he with the image twice the max height :p
    You see the 6 stars under his name?
    That means he can have as big a sig image as he likes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What about my sig? we all know and loved the poor fella...and just because its a small bit bigger you remove it :(

I think some compensation is in order..... i believe it is really not just a loss for me but for boards.... the campaign to get winters sig back has started.... viva la sig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Cloud

HEIGHT: 60 px
    WIDTH: 360 px
    SIZE: 15k or less

Now, I've always kept to the 15k size limit before, but Could? Is 60px height perhaps a little TOO restrictive!?

I hate to try and "Fight the system" here, but it does seem a bit much.
    Is there any way of making you reconsider a bit? Perhaps 100px? 80 even?
    I'm not gonna try and argue with you, so if you say "Go to hell and die, you bastid!" I'll take it as a no. :p

But here's a sig I've used on other boards before:
    http://irishangelwhore.homestead.com/files/angelsig4.jpg

Try squeez that into the parameter's you gave, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Has there actually been complaints about the size of people's sig's, obvioulsy if they got way too big it would be a problem, but seeing that only a minority of boards users actually have a picture signature I don't think that this whole deleting of sig's business is fair. "Free the sig's protest!" start's tomorrow.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Kharn
    You see the 6(sic) stars under his name?
    That means he can have as big a sig image as he likes! :p
    You are such a brown-noser Kharn.

When I saw that my sig. had been deleted, I was all set to start ranting about the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of the admins.
    However, I have just noticed that DeVs' sig. has been removed, so obviously that is not the case.
    But, I have noticed that some non spec. sigs. are still floating around, I won't name names but one would not have to look to far above this post for an example!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Please do name names - I've written a script that ensures that all sigs are no more than 360 wide or 60 high - so if you've spotted a sig, that means that my script isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ahhhh, nice one. Although I'll miss Dev's monkey.

Good stuff, another victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

:(
    i spent ages resizing my sig so it was the same width as the line above it, now you baxtards deleted it...
    i guess it's too high

• Advertisement

Haha tman!

Well the line size is relative anyway because it may have seemed like that on your PC but there are variants of fonts installed on people's PCs depending on whether they have Verdana, the older Verdana (slightly differently sized) or no Verdana - I wouldn't bother trying to match the horizontal line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

twas spot on on 3 different pc's:(
    it was a pretty crap image tho, i was planning on changing it soonish anyways

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Cloud
    Please do name names - I've written a script that ensures that all sigs are no more than 360 wide or 60 high - so if you've spotted a sig, that means that my script isn't working.

Did not have to, gone.
    I was just bitching because mine was deleted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I heartily approve of this product and/or service.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bah, my sig (which WASNT a monkey but rather a Wendigo from from the game Rune, which is excellent btw), has been smacked.
    Booooo.... F!GHT TEH P0WA!! NANCY RIOT!!!

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Bah, my sig (which WASNT a monkey but rather a Wendigo from from the game Rune, which is excellent btw), has been smacked.
    Booooo.... F!GHT TEH P0WA!! NANCY RIOT!!!

DeV.
    You know you want to... USE COREGA'S SIG!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Can i ask why the sigs have been removed ? Was it really causing that much of a problem ? Most sigs are failry entertaining and rarely get in the way and when they did the user usually changed them

Your size limits seem a little restrictive

My sig was 118x134 , so area wise it was alot smaller that the "regulation" size and it was only 3kb , i cant see how that was much of a problem

FIGHT THE POWER !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

also ... if everyones is the exact same size its fairly boring dont you think

Whats next ? Will we be assigned numbers instead of usernames ?

and if we are i "bags'e" 007

• Advertisement

I don't want all the images to be 360 x 60, they have to be equal to OR smaller than that. There has to be some limit on sigs, and I think it makes it easier to read threads with narrower sigs. I know you can turn off sigs altogether, but some are entertaining and if you can't manage to fit your sig into the height I've specified, try an imagination upgrade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement