Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

ph wrote:
    Perhaps you could link to a couple of occasions where the goods have been produced, or failing that maybe who the posted the predictions or the topics that were covered.
    i'll have a look later on see what I can dig up.
    katie offered a few excercises before in another thread. the results may not appear "impressive" but I think they deserve a look.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mysteria -

> On the Marian Finucane show in a debate with the skeptics society a
    > few years back I had predicted Bertie Aherne breaking up with
    > Celia Larkin, and said she would go out with someone younger than
    > her (true). Even the skeptics were shcocked by that one.

If it's not too much trouble, could you tell us which of the skeptics there that day was "shcocked"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Oh mea culpa, a typo.Among all these perfect, omniscient people! Re Skeptics, All of them actually (they put up a link for my book on their website, and had no disagreement with anything I had to say. Because, like a lot of them, I'm a psychologist too). Hope my spellings are o.k this time.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Skeptics, All of them actually (they put up a link for my book on
    > their website, and had no disagreement with anything I had to say

Yes, you can find this link at:

http://www.irishskeptics.net/articles/sarah.html

...though, other than mentioning that you were there, and that all "argued quite a lot among themselves and seemed to differ substantially as to what exactly they each did", I can't see the bit where they registered surprise or said that they "had no disagreement with anything I had to say".

Would you like me to contact them, just so that we can be sure of this? I'd hate to think that anything that appears here might have the slightest appearance of being anything less than the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Everyone in the radio station, including the "skeptics", registered surprise! I would have taken a photo had I known I'd have to answer to an expert like yourself. You've read that we argued a lot among ourselves, that was me dis-agreeing with what the "astrologers" said.Don't you think if the "Skeptics" had a problem with anything I said they'd have mentioned it?They had done their research, brought a very large dossier on <snip> into the study, so why exclude me if they class me as a chancer?(You'll note they refer to me as the "Psychic Psychologist").Why the negativity and absolute determination to rip everything I say to shreds (unsuccessfully). I'd welcome questions and/or comments from anyone interested in learning from my vast store of knowledge. I can't be bothered answering stupid questions.

• Advertisement

"Would you like me to contact them, just so that we can be sure of this? I'd hate to think that anything that appears here might have the slightest appearance of being anything less than the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!"

Feel free, I've no problem with that at all. Tell David Moore (Astronomy Society & Skeptics Soc.) I said Hi. You see there are people out there who have actually met me, worked with me etc. As regards the truth, I thought I was contributing to a "Paranormal" discussion board, all I've seen are battling egos and people demanding "Proof". No-one seems open-minded or even interested in learning about this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Have to say I find this rather intersting...taken from this article..

http://www.irishskeptics.net/articles/sarah.html

"A second issue which Paul addressed was Ms. Hurding's claim that she could provide absent healing. This is said to occur when a healer sends healing energy over great distances. She also demanded a bank draft for €60 from people wishing to avail of the service. She claims impressive results with humans and animals, especially where doctors and vets have given up on the patient.

When challenged she claimed to have treated only one person through the page on her website and that money received went to charity. This despite the claim on the same page that she has had impressive results with people and animals she has never met. We were happy to see that on the Sunday following the programme Ms. Hurding had removed her demand for a €60 payment. We would of course be happier if she would abandon her claim to heal from a distance. There is no scientific evidence for this and no known mechanism by which it could happen."

I agree, Insider. When I was asked live on air for my opinion of Sarah's behaviour, my reply (verbatim) was "I think it's a disgrace". That did'nt go down too well with Ireland's "psychic" community as you can imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Well fair play to you for saying that.

It really blackens the name of astrologers and psychics when a person claiming to be one pulls a stunt like this and it actually really annoys me that there are people out there who would take advantage of vulerunable sick people like that and try and make money of them.

I agree, there are sincere people out there in the psychic field who try their best to help, but chancers like "Psychic Sarah" get everyone a bad name. Every field has it's chancers, look at the medical profession and all the fatal mistakes they make. I find it funny that because someone belongs to a "Skeptic's"society, or claims to be one, is suddenly an expert on everything! I'm extremely sceptical, but I know psychic abilities exist. I don't expect others to take my word, I don't believe most of the claims made. Because my qualifications are mostly scientific/medical, I need proof to believe and respect other's rights to the same.(But I don't lie or exaggerate about anything I discuss)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

mysteria wrote:
    I'm extremely sceptical, but I know psychic abilities exist.
    How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

mysteria wrote:
    I'm extremely sceptical, but I know psychic abilities exist. I don't expect others to take my word, I don't believe most of the claims made. Because my qualifications are mostly scientific/medical, I need proof to believe and respect other's rights to the same.
    Excellent!
    What psychic abilities do you know exist? What claims do you think would stand up to scientific analysis?

Check out my blog, I'm psychic but have very mixed feelings about the field. It's like asking me how do I know people exist. Answer: Because I am one! And please , please don't ask me to prove it, I'm not asking you to believe it! And pH, I AM a scientist too!

mysteia wrote:
    I thought I was contributing to a "Paranormal" discussion board, all I've seen are battling egos and people demanding "Proof". No-one seems open-minded or even interested in learning about this field.
    you get used to it after a while. The charter was updated by the previous mod to allow for critical analysis. I think it may be time to update the charter again.

mysteria wrote:
    Check out my blog, I'm psychic but have very mixed feelings about the field. It's like asking me how do I know people exist. Answer: Because I am one! And please , please don't ask me to prove it, I'm not asking you to believe it! And pH, I AM a scientist too!

Ok, fair enough. Could you tell me what your academic credentials are though and perhaps where you got them?
    solas wrote:
    The charter was updated by the previous mod to allow for critical analysis. I think it may be time to update the charter again.

Come on solas, without critical analysis we'd still be stuck on a flat planet, hammering taps into people's heads to drain evil spirits..

Come on solas, without critical analysis we'd still be stuck on a flat planet
    my point being there is a difference between critical analysis and blatent bashing by closed minded skeptics unwilling to listen to the other side. (no pun intended, tis funny though)
    open minded critical analysis is very welcome.
    Trolls from the skeptics society have no place here, they have their own forum in which to do all the bashing they want.

let me make it clear.
    charter wrote:
    While we in no way want this forum to become a place for flaming or abuse of those who believe in the paranormal or those who have had paranormal experiences, there is always some good in discerning true paranormal experiences from events which may have other explanations.

To cut to the chase there will be nothing wrong in the forum view with healthy discussion about paranormal events, from any stand point, but ANYONE who flames or abuses this policy will be permanently banned without question or hesitation.

I will not hesitate to ban anyone abusing this policy.

Well said Solas

No problem Ozzy.I've studied in Maynooth, U.C.D. & Trinity (Psychology, Philosophy, Medical Science),also in the USA (Parapsychology & Metaphysics). But I don't think this makes me any better at my work. I feel our natural talents, attitudes and intentions are way more important. And I hope ne day the "Psychic Sciences" are recognised, as well as the "Metaphysical Psychology" I'm attempting to define...and prove.....someday...sigh!

Emmmmm.......stunned silence.....no-one wants to challenge me about the existence of TCD/UCD etc.....No-one wants to tell me what a chancer I am........(I think I need my inhaler) Just joking folks, c'mon you have to admit I've taken my share of flak. I'm a Grad so now no-one wants to challenge me?That's why I didnt go public re qualifications etc at first. Seriously, my points are 1. Psychic abilities exist
    2. They can be used to help ourselves and others
    3. They are natural, we all possess them!

• Advertisement

Sorry mysteria, I was in next door fixing my neighbour's PS2... but you should know that! :v:
    Btw, did you know Halo 2 is on the PS?... I didn't! Looks good man, looks real good!

You've made it quite clear you're a 'grad' and you have all these qualifications, etc. from the beginning (you mentioned it a lot in fact, for no reason, like Zillah & Kernel said). I wanted to know exactly what credentials you received from these places. But you don't like specifics do you!?! Very Metaphysical of you.
    Anyway, it doesn't matter ..
    mysteria wrote:
    I'm a Grad so now no-one wants to challenge me?That's why I didnt go public re qualifications etc at first. Seriously, my points are 1. Psychic abilities exist

There's nothing here to challenge. You've made these claims. You've not substantiated them. You won't/can't substantiate them... There's nothing here to 'challenge' (a curious choice of word that).
    And to be honest missus, I think the only one feeding their ego here is you.

But listen, I'm not trying to offend you here either, this is just what I have observed and how I have interpretted it. Sláinte!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

mysteria wrote:
    Emmmmm.......stunned silence.....no-one wants to challenge me about the existence of TCD/UCD etc.....No-one wants to tell me what a chancer I am........(I think I need my inhaler) Just joking folks, c'mon you have to admit I've taken my share of flak. I'm a Grad so now no-one wants to challenge me?That's why I didnt go public re qualifications etc at first. Seriously, my points are 1. Psychic abilities exist
    Well errm, I think zillah and kernel are banned and I am too lazy. What's there to challenge anyway? You are graduates of some recognised disciplines (psychology, philosophy, med sci of what exactly?) which has nothing to do with the paranormal. The parapsychology and metaphysical psychology stuff are not scientifically recognised like you said in ireland. The only thing I can think of is what in the name of god (metaphorically speaking since he doesn't exist :D) is your institute scientically researching? Doubt you use any recognised scientical methodology in any of the research your institute may or maynot be carrying out. You can of course tell us how to get access to any research data the institute might have.

To be honest I don't really care what qualifications you claim to have. You appear to be someone who blindly believes that everything can be explained by the paranormal instead of using logical reasoning so there is really no reasoning with you. In fact, you think being in the paranormal forum is license to make any unsubstantiated claims (see your quote, there is a difference to facts and beliefs)...you probably are entitled to make all those claims...too lazy to read the charter. I think that's why the others are annoy at you but what do I know since I can't read minds...maybe you can tell me what zillah and kernel and ozzy are really thinking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Just a couple of points:
    mysteria wrote:
    I AM a scientist too!
    The science you are an expert of I assume here is parapsycology and metaphysics? Without questioning whether or not if they are real scientific disciplines, are you actively using scientific methods to research these areas? Or does automatically assuming something really is a paranormal phenomenon and then going to investigate and maybe perform a blessing or 2 constitute research? Do you have simple things like a log of ALL the predictions you have officially made and their results? What makes you a scientist?
    I thought I was contributing to a "Paranormal" discussion board, all I've seen are battling egos and people demanding "Proof". No-one seems open-minded or even interested in learning about this field.
    If people are not interested in learning more they wouldn't be asking for details. You are failing to provide any and wants people to take your claims at face value...how can anyone learn anything from just claims. People were very polite at the beginning and only asked for details. You just want to interact with believers who will literally believe anything you say so hush already...

Has anyone else on this board openly submitted their identity etc? Maybe they have,I haven't been involved long enough to know that. Can anyone tell me why they need to feel so hostile? I've been repeatedly questioned about my qualifications and when I respond I'm accused of making claims and boasting. Quotes are taken out out of context and over-analyzed. This is not, I repeat not, a board open to paranormal concepts. The subject matter should be important, not the poster. I still say I'm here if anyone needs help or advice, I'll do my best for them. I'm not sure how the banning system works, but I would like to see Zillah & Kernel re-instated asap. I understand their need to question (and other's have been just as hostile and insulting are still on the board. Wishing everyone a Happy & Prosperous 2006!

Your assumptions are a bit off mark code-monkey. Notice the words"medical science (e.g. Haematology, microbiology, pharmacy).Why the hostility? Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

mysteria wrote:
    Has anyone else on this board openly submitted their identity etc? Maybe they have,I haven't been involved long enough to know that.

I don't understand the question, but whether people know my identity or not, I'm pretty well-known on this board, seeing as I was one of the first people who posted on it, all that time ago. I was also one of the three founding members of the PRAI organisation, though I left about a year ago...

You can see my mark has been made in most of these threads :P

Can anyone tell me why they need to feel so hostile?

I don't think I'm hostile or have been hostile in here, but if you consider me to be such, I'd love for you to tell me where, because I have difficulty with expressing some things like an, ah "normal" person would, due to a learning disability I have, and I may come across as hostile when I'm not trying to be.

I'll admit though that at times, I seem to be easily excitable...

I was just trying to make the point Kennett that I've been very open and honest about who I am, and answered questions when asked. No you've not been hostile as far as I remember.Happy New Year :-0

Both Zillah and kernel broke the rules which resulted in a temporary ban. I'm not in a habit of banning anyone, in fact they were the first to receive one since my time as mod here. But it was called for it and was about time to get the forum in order. They've stepped on that line many times before and are used to getting away with it. Perhaps they don't realise how hostile they can be but I have no more interest in nannying threads on a daily basis.
    If they were genuinely open people they would be sensitive to the needs of others and they might realise how it feels to have those daggers being thrown across the forum, everytime anyone doesn't agree with them or give them what they want. I believe in the trade they are considered energy vampires and in all fairness I need time to recover. I'm really not interested in the Zillah breed of enlightenment.

I wouldn't take their hostility personally mysteria, its just typical Irish begrudgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

There is a difference between having a prediction coming true and being a Psychic .

I mean I predicted over a year ago that Britney would have serious problems with Kevin Fed (I think most people did), and that she would probably be pregnent soon. That doesn't make me a psychic. It doesn't even make me particular astute

How many predictions do you make that don't come true? I mean, if you play the odds eventually some predictions will happen, unless they are all really stupid. When you said Bertie and Celia would split, how many people did you predict would split that didn't

You can choose to believe that if something happens which you predicted would happen that it is down to your ability to sense the future. But in reality it is far more likely that it was just luck.

We tend to notice only the interesting occurances and things that seem weird. If I meet a girl in a pub and get chatting to her and then see her again with in a week I might think that is some how fate. In reality it is a coincidence that I simply notice. In reality I nearly meet loads of people all the time, but I don't notice because I am not aware of it. I only think it is fun when I do become aware. But if you actually study movement patterns of people, which psychologists and architects do when designing public spaces, you can see these types of coincidences are constantly happening or nearly happening, but we during or day to day lives are largely ignorant of it because we are not watching for them.

The same is true of predictions like the ones you make. We are constantly thinking about things, thinking about ourself and other people. But we only notice this when something weird happens like you walk into a room and someone is humming the exact same song as you. YOu might think, wow we must have a connection. In reality you have walked into a million rooms singing a millions songs and meet someone singing a different song but it has not registered with you because it doesn't catch interest.

I would say you are constantly making predictions, and have probably become quite good at based on your training and study of humans. But that doesn't mean that if your predictions come true that you some how sensed the future. And you only notice and think it is freaky when your predictions do come true, it doesn't register when they don't, so only the true predictions stand out in anyway.

• Advertisement

wicknight wrote:
    In reality it is a coincidence that I simply notice. In reality I nearly meet loads of people all the time, but I don't notice because I am not aware of it. I only think it is fun when I do become aware. But if you actually study movement patterns of people, which psychologists and architects do when designing public spaces, you can see these types of coincidences are constantly happening or nearly happening, but we during or day to day lives are largely ignorant of it because we are not watching for them.
    I notice how often you use the term reality, bear in mind its your reallity, your opinion which you are stating as fact.

Jungians might consider those incidents as synchronous
    1. The state or fact of being synchronous or simultaneous; synchronism.
    2. Coincidence of events that seem to be meaningfully related, conceived in Jungian theory as an explanatory principle on the same order as causality.

: the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality —used especially in the psychology of C. G. Jung
    But that doesn't mean that if your predictions come true that you some how sensed the future. And you only notice and think it is freaky when your predictions do come true, it doesn't register when they don't, so only the true predictions stand out in anyway.
    I recall some time ago this thread prophectic dreams
    which while it may seem insignificant to you, I felt it significant enough to post or "make public".it was posted on the 13 of august 2005.
    solas wrote:
    have been having very vivid dreams these last few weeks, really drained too.
    Had one last night were I struck gold (oil, fell onto a previously undiscovered oilfield and ended up quite wealthy)
    Was talking to someone about it earlier though and a lot fo detail came up. I remember the agency responsible for officiating the oil (???) was called F.E.M.A.
    I didnt realise until I woke that fema is the federal emergency managment agency. (US)
    I'll just say that a lot of the symbolism in the dream is reflective of political situations. (I did apply it on a personal level too) but at the minute and I'm thinking "watch this space"
    solas wrote:
    I'm going to go with earthquake on this one.
    steve wrote:
    I think you'd probably have to deal with FEMA (aswell as the EPA) to sort out contingency plans if there was some kind of disaster either with the production facility or the transport (pipelines, supertankers etc) of the oil. Isn't there another big storm predicted to hit the Gulf of Mexico (where a lot of the US production is) soon ? Also I think I heard something on the news over the weekend about the Dept. of Homeland Security warning that Al Quaeda are planning on hijacking petrol trucks and crashing them into petrol stations. It could follow from that that they might hijack supertankers and crash them into ports ? I think something like that'd get FEMA involved.
    solas wrote:
    initially I thought terrorist attack too.
    The oil pipline I discovered was off the west coast of cork /kerry I remember being in the atalantic. But because the agency is an american institution I thought it might be relative to that situation.

An earthquake would be nice around now too :).
    steve wrote:
    Maybe one like this?
    solas wrote:
    i feel tension before earthquakes..stil feel like there is more to be released.
    cue information via rueters on 28th august, almost three weeks later
    solas wrote:
    Had almost forgotten about this dream until I read this earlier.
    Quote:
    "I can't emphasize enough to viewers how serious FEMA is taking this storm," he told CNN.
    The last time Mississippi or Louisiana were hit by a Category 4 storm was in 1969, when Hurricane Camille killed 143 people in the Gulf states. Latham said he attends a memorial service for those victims every year and keeps a book about the storm on his desk.
    At least 12 platforms and nine oil rigs in the Gulf have been evacuated, a small portion of the 953 manned rigs and platforms operating there, according to the Interior Department's Mineral Management Service.
    now as a sceptic I already know your going to come up with a volumn of reasons as to wittle the information down to nothingness, but in my reality I was aware the dream had significance. I dreamed it a day prior to posting which would have made it the 11/12 of august. I had no knowledge of any storm heading that way which steve later pointed out, (2 days later) I can't even be sure that such information would exist a month before the storm would hit and even they did, they had no way of knowing where it would strike or the intensity it would strike with, or the federal consequences and how fema were to be scrutinised for the whole charade. I didn't even know who FEMA were on a conscious level, until the next day.
    You may also say, its not specific enough, it doesn't state where it was going to hit. In my reality the oil rigs were symbolic of the region. You'll say I didn't state anything about a hurricane, but I did suggest federal involvment in association with a natural disaster, which consequently was on the scale of a monstrous earthquake. You will say, but that area is prone to hurricanes and is hit repetitivly every year. I'm usually not concerned with America's hurricane seasons and don't sit around pondering the seriousness of them. And I've nver been aware of any situation like the Katrina one, which caused so much devastation and federal involvment. You might even suggest I'm attaching meaning to things which are not apparant to you, but I wouldn't have posted the message if I didn't consider it "meaningful" at the time. Note the reference to "watch this space".
    Then you'll say if we can predict events then reproduce it, I'll say I can't it's not on tap and you'll say well, there ya go then and just deny the evidence as it is in front of you.

Synchronicty or lucky coincidence, however you choose to look at it is your reality

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement