Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods should act more moddy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Talliesin wrote:
    Yeah, people seem to like this site. Go figure.

That means jack ****. I used to go to games sites a lot, especially Sonic the Hedgehog ones, and the biggest one ever turned out to be run by a manipulative con men who also ended up being a paedophile, not to mention how "gansta" his staff acted. It's about being in the right place at the right time, more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

paperclip wrote:
    i had a bad run in with a mod recently.

imo, he was prety rude and unjustified, but what can you do, you bring it up here, and you'll just get ganged up on, or banned.

If "pretty ban run in" was pm'ing me asking what I mean when I said "Stop posting useless threads" you asking which threads, me posting examples and telling you to read the charter regarding the types of threads you were posting, then you accusing me of making it up, and then me sending you another message listing more of your pointless threads and telling you to read the charter after you called me rude. Then you pm'ing me back calling me cheeky, and then me telling you that if you PM me again without having said you read the charter you will be banned because I haven't got time to explain the rules which are posted at the top of the forum over and over.

Rozie, pay a visit to somethingawful.com, pay 10 euro to post there and see how you last without getting banned. Then come back and tell us we're strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Hey Rozie,

Your attitude in general is quite aggressive and appalling. Although there is no-one forcing you to post here I reckon if you keep up the abusive attitude it will not be long before you're forced to no longer post here.

I know back in my earlier days I couldn't argue my point without being aggressive, but I had to learn as quite simply people stop listening to the ramblings of mad people.

Take a deep breath, tone it down, and make your arguements in a clear fashion. If you find yourself getting annoyed, make your arguements in point style, it forces you to think more clearly which tends (most of the time) to dissipate the aggression.

Oh and I'm saying this as just another regular user...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Talliesin wrote:
    It might amaze you to know this, but sometimes people send polite PMs to moderators in which the enquire as to the reason for their ban. When it is explained to them, some of them then either argue their case in a respectful manner or apologise for the offense.

If they still are not satisfied with this they can open a help desk ticket.

It may even amaze some of the mods to know this, because it's pretty rare. I've been a mod for a good few years now and I've only seen it a couple of times.

Most people post on the Feedback forum (which is not a complaints forum) posting under the assumption that they could not possibly have been even partly in the wrong and that the moderator did what they did out of fickleness or as part of the great moderator conspiracy to make boards suck.

i'm not sure if you're being sarky there

if i've done somthing wrong, i'll accept it.

i'm banned from bargain alerts, completly different issue, and accept ban, and politly asked mod why, well had to pm 2 as i wasn't pm'd so i've no idea who banned me.

my issue is somthing completly different, i feel i've been treated prety unfairly, and would love to engage in a fair argument over it. but i just feel it'll get me nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

koneko wrote:
    Get out of my braaainnnn!
    No, both of you stop copying me! Wah!!!! *sobs*

paperclip wrote:
    i feel i've been treated prety unfairly, and would love to engage in a fair argument over it. but i just feel it'll get me nowhere.

I haven't actually done anything except comment on the quality of your post content which seems to be pointless flakey questions which don't add to the forum. Of course you would know this if you read the charter...

Your threads mostly require one word yes/no answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Newbs fighting the power? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ :yawn:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rozie wrote:
    That means jack ****. I used to go to games sites a lot, especially Sonic the Hedgehog ones, and the biggest one ever turned out to be run by a manipulative con men who also ended up being a paedophile, not to mention how "gansta" his staff acted. It's about being in the right place at the right time, more than anything.
    I've read this three times now. I'm sure you have a point here, but I can't grasp it.

The thing I really don't seem to grasp is why you seem to feel you have some sort of moral right to do anything on this site.

I don't think that I do. As koneko pointed out, this is a private party Cloud and DeVore decided to have and then went ahead and did. They invited the rest of us to the party, and a couple of the guests became co-hosts of the party with them and a few hundred of the guests help with the washing up.

Some people don't like something about the party and say so. It may or may not be acted on as the hosts see fit.

Some people have ideas for new party games. Likewise the hosts may or may not act upon it.

You have a complaint grand, make it (though generally your complaints are no more detailed than "meh, this sucks") it will be listened to, hell we even listen to complaints here despite the "This is for FEEDBACK. If you have a query, complaint or need help, use the HELPDESK." sticky (and maybe we should just point that out and lock threads, but that's for another thread) but don't feel you've any right to anything here, because none of us do. If you just want to have all the cake and ice-cream then **** off and have your own party.
    paperclip wrote:
    my issue is somthing completly different, i feel i've been treated prety unfairly, and would love to engage in a fair argument over it. but i just feel it'll get me nowhere.
    PM the mod. If you cannot get satisfaction that way open a help desk ticket. It will be looked into.
    Giblet wrote:
    I haven't actually done anything except comment on the quality of your post content which seems to be pointless flakey questions which don't add to the forum.
    However if this was the source of the complaint, well there's no rule against saying someone else's posts are pointless unless it's repeated to the point of harassment.
    Giblet wrote:
    Of course you would know this if you read the charter...
    And if you haven't read the charter, you're breaking the rules.

Giblet wrote:
    I haven't actually done anything except comment on the quality of your post content which seems to be pointless flakey questions which don't add to the forum. Of course you would know this if you read the charter...

Your threads mostly require one word yes/no answers.

This is down to a question of taste / opinion, in your opinion my polls/threads are pointless.

i have read the charter, i really dont see what's wrong with any of the posts you've a problem with, i've allways considered AH a great forum where you can just talk about general stuff, i agree the subscription link one was a non event, and should have posted here, but was just getting stressed cause i couldn't find the link.

i think you could have pm'd me, rather than posting on the board that i post alot of pointless polls and posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

paperclip wrote:
    i think you could have pm'd me...
    You are right, he could have, however he doesn't have to and didn't.

Now, please, please, pretty please get over it.

Baz_ wrote:
    You are right, he could have, however he doesn't have to and didn't.

Now, please, please, pretty please get over it.

i'll try baz, i'll try

Then how would anyone else know I disliked the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Great troll thread as usual The General.

/clap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rozie wrote:
    I personally think it's ridiculous you can be banned from a forum from anything from a few days to indefinitely for a single mess up, and what the mess up is can often be just about everything.

Far too often do the mods side with the majority of members, or rather the ones that are shouting the loudest in the biggest group, rather than making independant decisons.

The problem with harsh forums is that it makes ME act harsh, as I've been to a lot of forums with power tripper mods, so it's a gut reaction at this stage. I think in general if the place was a bit more lax and a little less uptight, everyone would benefit and it would be a lot more comfortable.

But really, this is the way the internet is going as a whole, and it's a shame. It's all about the mods doing what they want, when they want, it's for them more than the members on a lot of forums. I dont' know if I'd say this about here, but I do think the mods need to act a little more respectful.

Respectful? If there was respect shown by everyone, there wouldn't be a need for mods, simple as that. It's when cretins start throwing their weight around and spoiling threads with inane and entirley pointless, argumentative and/or abusive bull**** that moderators have to get involved, for the benefit of the users who are above a junior infants mentality and can carry themselves with a modicum of politeness and display some form of rational thought. Then you get the abusive and whiny PMs, as if you've done something gravely wrong by putting a stop to the nonsense.

It's very simple. Behave yourself, act with respect and a bit of cop on like the vast majority of Boards patrons and you won't ever be "moderated" and have anything to whine about. If that seems unreasonable, then, really, this isn't the forum for you.

"Hello, Mr Pot!"

Hullo, Mr Kettle! ;)

I don't think I've a moral right to some kind of super special bonuses, I just think that if you're going to set up a forum and build up a community, that you should treat them all respectfully; after all, you're nothing with out your members.

I don't care for the "This is our forum" argument. I believe that respect is respect no matter where you show it, being an asshole on YOUR FORUM is still being an asshole. Maybe I haven't always been the most respectful, but at least I don't have a terrible amount of responsibility with it.

I'll always believe this and I'll never change(if you're going to blast me as "immature" then please demonstrate to me how it is), I've seen tons of boards fall apart and this is one of the big killers. I doubt this board will ever fall apart from it, but that doesn't mean it can't be unpleasant.

As for whiny PMs, honestly, what do you expect? Being reasonable, most people aren't going to take being barred from a forum over one slip up lightly. On other forums you get less whiny PMs as a mod because they're a little more lax, and the members can see it coming to them.

And a PM is just a PM, how do you think they feel? Even if they were pissed off at the forum, it still makes them feel like an outcast. Most mods don't understand what it's like to be at the other end of the hammer, or the kind of atmospheric being strict generates. And yes, I've been on both ends. I've been banned on a certain forum once or twice where my only choices where to get in trouble, or to pretty much admit I was a ridiculous person and everything I stood for is false. I've also had to make decisions on my own forum, and managed to engineer better ways of dealing with things than banning people. I really don't understand why mods act as if banning is the only solution, they seem to like to get all serious about it.

For instance, a guy on my board kept registerring alt accounts impersonating people. One of them was called "Manda", so I basically deleted all the alts except taht one, suspended his original for 30 days, and locked him into that.

He never made another alt account again there, ever.

I don't understand why moderators can't be creative like that and try to solve problems cleverly instead of sweeping them under the carpet. If it takes too much time, get more moderators. It really, really is in everyone's best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

What the hell are you on?

RuggieBear wrote:
    What the hell are you on?

I really don't think these kind of comments help anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Rozie wrote:
    And a PM is just a PM, how do you think they feel? Even if they were pissed off at the forum, it still makes them feel like an outcast. Most mods don't understand what it's like to be at the other end of the hammer, or the kind of atmospheric being strict generates.

To be honest if you have broken the rules and are banned for it I don't give a toss what your feelings are about it. Why should I?
    If a poster is upsetting the atmosphere of the forum and breaking rules then why should they be allowed to continue doing so?

I've been banned from forums on boards. I didn't have a whinge about it, I accepted it, waited until my ban ended and returned to posting as normal. I didn't feel like an outcast. Why the hell would I? I brought the ban on myself, it was my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rozie wrote:
    I don't think I've a moral right to some kind of super special bonuses, I just think that if you're going to set up a forum and build up a community, that you should treat them all respectfully; after all, you're nothing with out your members.

I'd agree with you there. However you don't seem to understand that respect works both ways.
    Rozie wrote:
    I don't care for the "This is our forum" argument. I believe that respect is respect no matter where you show it, being an asshole on YOUR FORUM is still being an asshole. Maybe I haven't always been the most respectful, but at least I don't have a terrible amount of responsibility with it

Not caring for it does not make it untrue. The harsh reality of the situation is that this is a private website. Again you don't seem to understand what respect is. You seem to believe it's ok for you to misbehave because you're not responsible. Welcome to the adult world. We have different rules here.
    Rozie wrote:
    I'll always believe this and I'll never change(if you're going to blast me as "immature" then please demonstrate to me how it is), I've seen tons of boards fall apart and this is one of the big killers. I doubt this board will ever fall apart from it, but that doesn't mean it can't be unpleasant.

See, saying "I'll always believe this and I'll never change" is immature. You demonstrate your lack of maturity and respect for others every time you post.

Though I doubt you grasp that.
    Rozie wrote:
    As for whiny PMs, honestly, what do you expect? Being reasonable, most people aren't going to take being barred from a forum over one slip up lightly. On other forums you get less whiny PMs as a mod because they're a little more lax, and the members can see it coming to them.

See, I have to put up with bull**** PMs every day because someone "didn't know they couldn't do that". I'm sorry but that doesn't work. You were banned, get over it you child. I say child because an adult would have grasped that temp bans are part of internet life and don't matter much. Since you have visited so many forums you obviously know this already.
    Rozie wrote:
    For instance, a guy on my board kept registerring alt accounts impersonating people. One of them was called "Manda", so I basically deleted all the alts except taht one, suspended his original for 30 days, and locked him into that.

I don't understand why moderators can't be creative like that and try to solve problems cleverly instead of sweeping them under the carpet. If it takes too much time, get more moderators. It really, really is in everyone's best interest.

Eh, so you deleted his accounts and gave him a temporary site ban. Very original there. It's never been done before. etc etc.

Seriously, you are showing zero respect for others but expecting people to treat you like you're special. If I didn't know better I'd think you were 12. You carry a chip on both shoulders and seem to have this delusion that the world owes you something. It doesn't. Live with it.

I think deep down you know that you've ****ed up on here. But I think those chips on your shoulders are keeping you from admitting it and getting over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Rozie wrote:

I don't care for the "This is our forum" argument. I believe that respect is respect no matter where you show it, being an asshole on YOUR FORUM is still being an asshole. Maybe I haven't always been the most respectful, but at least I don't have a terrible amount of responsibility with it.
    To be honest I agree with you completely here (especially the part I put in bold). Altough I think you may be over-exaggerating the problem, or perhaps perceive it to be worse than it really is, in which case I apologise for being flippant about your earlier posts. I can't help wondering is there some specific case that you're thinking of that you haven't shared yet ? In my time here I've found that in general the people (users, mods and admins) are generally very nice, helpfull and forgiving of little mistakes. I have seen the odd case where someone was banned from a forum when I thought they didn't really need to be, a warning or clarification would have done instead, but in general I've seen many cases where people have innocently strayed across the line and they've been gently nudged back on to the right side of it. I'm sure you'll agree that even though the proper way to make a complaint has been pointed out many times both in this thread, in other threads and in this forum's charter, you haven't been banned yet for it.

I think it's interesting that you mention responsibility because I genuinely think that this shows a lack of understanding of the boards.ie way on your part. For example I mod the Spirituality forum, but outside of that, for example here on the feedback back forum, i have no more say, and my opinions mean no more than your own do.

I have to admit, I haven't seen any of your posts before this thread, and in general on the feedback forum, people who are complaining are generally doing so without basis and it's easy to lump everyone else in to the same catagory (which is really a problem with society at large which gets reflected in boards.ie). I would suggest you spend a bit more time here getting to know the unique ways, subtleties and colloquialisms of boards.ie, you might find that the rules here, and the way that they're enforced make more sense. They have evolved out of the experiences of peoples here so perhaps with that experience you'll come to see things the way the majority of us do. It's a bit like that ad for HSBC (I think) where they show the differences in differnt gestures between people of different cultures, once they explain what some other cultures views on something are it begins to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Rozie wrote:

So you're saying that the mods should ban people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rozie wrote:

My attitude to moderating the forums I do is this: If the other posters feel the same way I do about the forums I enjoy posting in, then they view the forum as a valuable resource for information and debate and a bit of banter too. Moderation only occurs when someone damages every other posters enjoyment of the forum. That is the only time I cease being a regular user of Boards. When someone does enough to warrant a ban I send them a PM explaining why they were banned and when their ban will expire. After that, they have a clean slate with me. Some take it well, some even apologise and some get abusive, as if it's my fault they acted like twats. The twats I can be fairly sure will interfere with everyone's enjoyment of the forums again. The others have the potential to become integral members of the forums, it is up to them. Either way, I'd be happier not being forced to moderate people, but as long as there are muppets who put their own agenda ahead of the collective interest of the regular users of the forums I moderate, I will always have a job to do (and fyi, it's entirely voluntary, as is the case for every mod here, they do it out of their interest in the welfare of the forums they moderate).

You have as much responsibilty to conduct yourself in an appropriate manner as everyone else here. You're right to suggest that Boards is only as strong as the people who post, which is why moderators moderate the few in the interests of the many who make Boards a nice place to be. Glad you agree.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Rozie wrote:
    I'll always believe this and I'll never change(if you're going to blast me as "immature" then please demonstrate to me how it is)
    The first part of the quote is as clear a demonstration of immaturity as is needed. There are lots of things I firmly believe right now, but I'm old enough to realise that there is nothing that will never change. There have been times in my life when I genuinely believed my beliefs would never change; an attitude that in hindsight I recognise as being extremely immature.

That said, I know of people who hold beliefs that they doggedly refuse to question, often in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It's not exactly an attitude that engenders respect from others.
    Rozie wrote:
    I've been banned on a certain forum once or twice where my only choices where to get in trouble, or to pretty much admit I was a ridiculous person and everything I stood for is false.
    ...and yet you've never thought to question the approach to discussion that put you in that position.

Let me put it another way: what is it about you, in particular, that narrows you down to those choices? How come I've never had to make that choice, even when heatedly debating topics that I feel strongly about?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Rozie wrote:
    Irish people, by nature, don't complain much, so that's a bit of a moot point. .

rofl.

that probably the funniest thing ive read on here in ages.

i needed a good laugh this morning, what with my hang over.

listen, really, i think what people are trying to say is:

if you dont like being here, then why dont you fúck off somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rozie wrote:
    I don't think I've a moral right to some kind of super special bonuses,
    You aren't getting my point. You don't have a moral right to anything here.
    Rozie wrote:
    I just think that if you're going to set up a forum and build up a community, that you should treat them all respectfully; after all, you're nothing with out your members.
    Well personally I treat people with civility until they've earned my respect or my disresepct. You've earned my disrespect.
    Rozie wrote:
    I don't care for the "This is our forum" argument. I believe that respect is respect no matter where you show it, being an asshole on YOUR FORUM is still being an asshole.
    It's not MY forum, and we're both being assholes. I, however, pick my targets.
    Rozie wrote:
    Maybe I haven't always been the most respectful, but at least I don't have a terrible amount of responsibility with it.
    I have a responsibility to help ensure that those who follow the rules can use the site.
    Rozie wrote:
    On other forums you get less whiny PMs as a mod because they're a little more lax, and the members can see it coming to them.
    The rules are there to be read. Most bans happen after warnings. If people are too stupid to see it coming after that, there isn't anything that can be done.
    Rozie wrote:
    I really don't understand why mods act as if banning is the only solution
    They don't. Banning is however the visible action.
    Rozie wrote:
    I don't understand why moderators can't be creative like that and try to solve problems cleverly
    They do.
    Rozie wrote:
    instead of sweeping them under the carpet.
    Nothing's being swept anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

paperclip wrote:
    i'm not sure if you're being sarky there

Why would he? Tallie's much cooler than I am. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

'clique' is the word you're looking for Rozie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Rozie wrote:
    And I'm sorry, but I made good points with that forum requests. There was no reason to fling it entirely off topic and then lock it.

You spammed the WW forum with some off-topic moaning and then continued with it on a request for a Dr. Who forum. Nobody is interested in that style of argument. Why not just make your case for a Dr. Who forum and leave other forums out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Rozie wrote:
    Then why do other people have problems here?
    And did it occur to you that my attitude was largely down to impatience with the people here?

I'm certainly someone who understands impatience, but it's not necessarily a justification for anything.
    That doesn't make it right though. As long as they have a monopoly here, whether or not they pay for the place is irrelevant.

Huh? I've been observing this attitude a bit lately actually, "Boards does this for others so by rights and in the Interests of Ireland I demand that they do this" etc etc, and it's very weird (and sometimes irritating) but I'm still no closer to understanding how exactly this conclusion is reached.
    Besides, you can own a server, but it's unfair to claim you OWN a community, which is why I have a problem with possessive admins.

I wasn't aware we'd claimed to own a community? I personally consider boards to facilitate many communities anyway, not just one.

Advertisement