Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Next week not looking good going by Met Eireann , Summer gone already ??

Sunday: Dry in many areas, with some bright or sunny spells, but with a good deal of cloud, bringing a few patches of drizzle or light rain, mainly to Atlantic coasts. Max. 16 to 21 Celsius, in a freshening southerly breeze.

Further outlook: Changeable and unsettled, with wet and windy weather moving in from the Atlantic Sunday night and Monday, in fresh southerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Next week not looking good going by Met Eireann , Summer gone already ??

Sunday: Dry in many areas, with some bright or sunny spells, but with a good deal of cloud, bringing a few patches of drizzle or light rain, mainly to Atlantic coasts. Max. 16 to 21 Celsius, in a freshening southerly breeze.

Further outlook: Changeable and unsettled, with wet and windy weather moving in from the Atlantic Sunday night and Monday, in fresh southerly winds.

Compare this to MT Craniums forecast of

"
    MONDAY to WEDNESDAY will be rather cloudy with limited sunshine in the southeast, occasional showers that may be heavier at times in north, west and central counties, and continued rather warm with highs near 20 C.

FURTHER OUTLOOK calls for gradual warming trend in the last weekend and following week of 23 June to about 1st of July, with highs possibly reaching the mid 20s at times.
    "

And please don't be the person who calls "SUMMERS OVER" when the outlook is good both from short term (MT) and long term forecasts (Sryanbruen, MT) especially when there is 2+ months left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Compare this to MT Craniums forecast of

"
    MONDAY to WEDNESDAY will be rather cloudy with limited sunshine in the southeast, occasional showers that may be heavier at times in north, west and central counties, and continued rather warm with highs near 20 C.

FURTHER OUTLOOK calls for gradual warming trend in the last weekend and following week of 23 June to about 1st of July, with highs possibly reaching the mid 20s at times.
    "

And please don't be the person who calls "SUMMERS OVER" when the outlook is good both from short term (MT) and long term forecasts (Sryanbren, MT) especially when there is 2+ months left.

Thank you... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after the great start to June the rest of June is pretty much a write off, I hope this isn't setting the scene for the rest of the summer:( Hopefully July will see things turn more summery again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    after the great start to June the rest of June is pretty much a write off, I hope this isn't setting the scene for the rest of the summer:( Hopefully July will see things turn more summery again:)

oh will ya relax :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    oh will ya relax :eek:

just looking further ahead, there is hope towards the last few days of June of something much warmer and more settled leading into July.

I'm usually the negative one but I am seeing a great END to June....

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm usually the negative one but I am seeing a great END to June....

2 days of bad weather and I start cracking up, I really hate these grey skies, rain clouds never far away. I'll be prepared to put up with the next 10 days as long as things work out from end of June onwards!

There is potential for temps to reach 23-29C end of the month/beginning of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'm sticking with sryanbruen. Think positive man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

red sean wrote: »
    I'm sticking with sryanbruen. Think positive man :)

Yeah and besides there is light until 10:30pm now. So many opportunities!
    I lived in Brisbane, was 30C and sunny all day but dark at 7pm which was very limiting.
    Embrace the light, don't be afraid of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

but dark at 7pm which was very limiting

Us astronomers often moan about the long summer evenings and persistent twilight at this time of year :-)

But there is a silver lining. Some fine noctilucent cloud displays can be seen, some of which have been noted from Ireland already this summer. Martin McKenna has some pics on his web site http://www.nightskyhunter.com/ (click Latest Sky Events on the left hand menu). He has a fine article on observing NLCs at http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Noctilucent%20Clouds.html while http://www.spaceweather.com/ also features reports of recent displays.

Keep looking up!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Yeah and besides there is light until 10:30pm now. So many opportunities!
    I lived in Brisbane, was 30C and sunny all day but dark at 7pm which was very limiting.
    Embrace the light, don't be afraid of rain.

Last night was amazing, it never even got to that grey dim of the last few weeks. There was fairly bright light on the horizon all night.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan, Galway, Roscommon, Clare, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Heavy thundery downpours with local totals 20-30mm giving spot flooding from now into the evening.
    Issued:Wednesday 15 June 2016 16:00
    Valid:Wednesday 15 June 2016 16:00 to Wednesday 15 June 2016 22:00

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan, Galway, Roscommon, Clare, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Heavy thundery downpours with local totals 20-30mm giving spot flooding from now into the evening.
    Issued:Wednesday 15 June 2016 16:00
    Valid:Wednesday 15 June 2016 16:00 to Wednesday 15 June 2016 22:00

What is with western Dublin getting all this bad weather? :pac:

To the northeast at Grange, it is lovely right now with sunny intervals whilst yesterday I only recorded 0.2mm of rainfall.

today has been a huge improvement over the past 3 days of cool, wet and muck here. Few spots of rain earlier, nothing has wetted the ground and warmish sunshine from time to time.

More shocking daily rainfalls yesterday, continuing on from Monday's deluges

Mullingar: 33.2mm
    Belmullet: 25.9mm
    Mt. Dillon: 24.8mm
    Finner Camp: 24.0mm
    Gurteen: 20.4mm
    Knock Airport: 19.9mm
    Phoenix Park: 19.3mm
    Markree Castle: 12.7mm

It's hilarious to think that I recorded 0.2mm all day yesterday.

It is now BLUE SKIES at Grange! Not a cloud in sight hahaha, this is very hilarious considering some parts of Dublin are pouring and I'm having a beautiful evening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Interesting to see the continued divergence between ME and MT's forecasts for next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that MT is correct!

Met Éireann starting to come into line with the MT forecast

"Further outlook: Changeable up to and including midweek. Some wet weather at times, interspersed by some dry, bright conditions. Temperatures should be around normal or slightly above."

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cool, damp and cloudy here all day so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Met Éireann starting to come into line with the MT forecast

"Further outlook: Changeable up to and including midweek. Some wet weather at times, interspersed by some dry, bright conditions. Temperatures should be around normal or slightly above."

Glad they are recognising the authority on the subject:D

gloomy, dark skies, cool and drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Interesting to see the continued divergence between ME and MT's forecasts for next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that MT is correct!

There is a big difference between the weather forecast for next Sunday afternoon with the Munster Championship Hurling match in Thurles, Co. Tipperary. Met Eireann is quoting persistent and heavy rain with temperatures of 18 or 19c at best. MT is quoting mainly fair weather with temps up to 23c with a mention of an isolated shower in the evening. Sorry MT but in my experience on the Boards in the last few years it looks more likely that ME could be more correct. According to the GFS models on netweather.tv it looks like rain for Sunday afternoon. But I always hope that MT's forecast issued this morning would be some what correct and the forecast rain would hold off until the evening or night.

Some heavy daily rainfalls yesterday again

Mt. Dillon: 27.0mm
    Ballyhaise: 12.4mm

As a result, Mt. Dillon is now above its average June rainfall.

I meant to say this guys. Have a look at what 1995 was:

- The third wettest Winter on record in 1994/95 (wettest on record at the time)
    - Average temperature Spring
    - Hot, dry and sunny Summer
    - Very warm Autumn
    - Freezing cold December

2016 so far:

- The second wettest Winter on record in 2015/16
    - Slightly cold Spring but pretty average
    - Very warm June so far

Things I'd like to point out about 1995 here that 2016 has had so far:

- The extremely wet Winter
    - A cold March and some snowfall in both
    - Though the very start of June 2016 started off great and has now turned horrible, June 1995 did not start off good - but it ended brilliantly

And it looks like this June will end off brilliantly. Though there are some differences between the years i.e. April 1995 was much warmer, drier and sunnier than April 2016 or May 2016 was warmer and sunnier than May 1995, I can see some great comparisons with 1995 and 2016 that could mean a brilliant Summer coming. If this is the case then as I said in my predictions, the "August 1995" of this Summer would be July.

Also in my predictions back in December, I predicted a colder than normal November. November 1995 was a mild month overall but around the 3rd week, there were some very low temperatures recorded that were record-breaking in some places. And for December, I also predicted a colder than normal month. Like come on, we had the warmest December on record just gone. We are more than owed a cold December plus 1995 had a cold December, so we should be given one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What are peoples thoughts on the first half of August ?

Very warm for a time but getting cooler and more average. It will be rather cloudy and showery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Very warm for a time but getting cooler and more average. It will be rather cloudy and showery.

Cheers, losing my freedom on the 12th, just hoping for no rain !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

And if you believe that you will believe anything !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers, losing my freedom on the 12th, just hoping for no rain !

During August, I am seeing a large absence of very sunny days (10 hours or more of sunshine) but there will be sunny intervals frequently throughout the month which will make it sunnier than average overall.

I am saying this just in case you get confused with my prediction for August of "Rather wet, sunny and warm".

Advertisement