Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hdaniel

http://www.hitbox.tv/gaming99
    topanga restream for anybody who wants to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    There's signs and ads up in all the major arcades now, I'll be interested to see what kind of crowds in can draw in. ATM it's very hit and miss depending on the day

Send a cab over when you get a chance

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Will do. If people want actual changes tested or w/e, let me know in this thread and I'll throw some yen at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm trying to weasel my way out of stuff I have on Thursday night. Might not get to play this till Friday ;_;
    Gonna have to meet up in Shinjuku on the weekend and **** up some nerds, Onion.

By the by, if you're looking for the main SF4 arcade in Tokyo, it's in Shinjuku at the East Exit across from Green Peas. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.689668,139.701989,3a,75y,47.37h,77.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEmdQB2eUzj8U4y-kENDWWg!2e0

That's the place I was saying I was playing against all those guys ranked no.1-10 in Japan, Osaka, Kyoto, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Will do. If people want actual changes tested or w/e, let me know in this thread and I'll throw some yen at it :)

Can you pick Deejay once please Onion and see if U1 kept the distance buff we saw in all the promotional material + at Cannes.

It's not in the changelog, so I'm wondering if they thought (lol) Deejay was too stronk with it and reverted it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Can't believe they gave Guile the counter hit nerf back.

That was the least fun thing about AE Guile...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

I know you're going to do it anyway, but I'd be super-appreciative a report on how Elena's playing in the arcades compared to the build at Cannes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Can you pick Deejay once please Onion and see if U1 kept the distance buff we saw in all the promotional material + at Cannes.

It's not in the changelog, so I'm wondering if they thought (lol) Deejay was too stronk with it and reverted it.

Yep please do. It looks like they took it out again :rolleyes:

I'm very strongly considering a move to Guile or one of the newer characters (Elena/Decapre). Some good buffs, but so far behind the rest of the cast.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep please do. It looks like they took it out again :rolleyes:

I'm very strongly considering a move to Guile or one of the newer characters (Elena/Decapre).

Guile could be REALLY strong. Between the wake up mechanics, his U1 and them leaving Flash Kick FADC unchanged where the shotos got their DP versions nerfed, he'll probably move up a good few places in the tier list.

Giving him the counter hit nerf back is a serious PITA though. He can be counter hit for 20 frames after a boom is thrown.

I intend to put some time in with Decapre, prob Chun and Honda too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I know Makoto EX Fukiage hits grounded now, but does it whiff or get blocked when you don't hit? (unlikely I know)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Can't believe they gave Guile the counter hit nerf back.

That was the least fun thing about AE Guile...

This_Is_Delicious_by_SamhainStar.jpg

I think if you somehow manage to predict a boom and jump over, but even more miraculously; you manage to have done so early enough that Guile had not yet recovered, then you deserve a lovely counter hit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Not too happy with the fact I can no longer dive kick jumping backwards with Juri now, let's down the other buffs she got. I'm basically going to have to have to learn a whole new style of playing her.

Still going to keep using her but I intend on using Evil Ryu more seriously as well because I spent a lot of time messing around with him back in my old hostel in Perth ( the joys of the hostel having it's own Xbox - Also helps I was able to find an AE disc cheap as well. )

( By the time Ultra lands, I'll be in Melbourne and I intend staying for a few months )

Cool videos to try to explain the dragonpunch-FADC nerfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I know Capcom have to reuse assets nowadays cause they're incapable of making... stuff. But they seriously just re-used clips of clips that were reused in the intro.. at the end of the intro.

Oh well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lythero wrote: »
    I know Capcom have to reuse assets nowadays cause they're incapable of making... stuff. But they seriously just re-used clips of clips that were reused in the intro.. at the end of the intro.

Oh well

And would they reuse Indestructible??? Nooooo of course they wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And would they reuse Indestructible??? Nooooo of course they wouldn't!
    Because licensing.

The feeling I got from all the stuff that's been said about Ultra (including a chat with Dawgtanian at Cannes) is that it barely got commisioned at all and expensive things like new cinematics and art assets are pretty much out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Because **** making games amirite?

Don't get me wrong; if this was a Marvel update, I'd be ecstatic regardless of how shoehorned it looked. But I think that's why it's important to take a step back and realise how Capcom (or whoever's responsible for who makes what) thinks gamers are so complacent to accept and buy this stuff nowadays.

Ironically, since I'm interested in getting involved with Street Fighter for the sake of having more fun at Dublin tourneys, I'm probably going to buy this when it's out ._.

• Advertisement

Lythero wrote: »
    Because **** making games amirite?

Don't get me wrong; if this was a Marvel update, I'd be ecstatic regardless of how shoehorned it looked. But I think that's why it's important to take a step back and realise how Capcom (or whoever's responsible for who makes what) thinks gamers are so complacent to accept and buy this stuff nowadays.

Ironically, since I'm interested in getting involved with Street Fighter for the sake of having more fun at Dublin tourneys, I'm probably going to buy this when it's out ._.

It's 15 quid DLC for 5 previously unavailable (if not new) characters, 6 stages, every costume ever made, actual mechanic changes to the game itself that would have had to be tested, a complete rebalance of the game and a whole bunch of genuinely interesting new modes chief of which edition select sounds like a total blast. To be fair it's hardly like this is horse armour here.

Not only that but you can get this DLC without even getting the Arcade Edition DLC, meaning people who have a Super disc lying around can get it.

Personally, I don't care if the content is mainly recycled, I'm excited that the game is getting a new lick of paint, I'm getting a new charge character (the first I think since Remy- urgh) and that the game will now evolve because of delayed wake up, red focus, and the death of unblockables.

We all know that SF5 is probably in the works behind the scenes, and considering how well MvC sold in the end I'd say they'll be looking to make at least a spiritual successor to that, so I think we should appreciate ultra for what it is, a new version of SF4 trying to dial back on the set ups so more people can enjoy without putting a million hours in and a cool party game in edition select!

1 mild correction there Doomy:
    you only get the costume-DLC (i.e. all the old costumes from Vanilla->AE) if you buy the DISC version.

In addition, if you pre-order the disc, you'll get the DLC costumes for the new characters.

Also, someone translated from the newest Famitsu article that a SFxT save file unlocks an extra costume (the non-Tekken ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I think UBs will still be in this game, somehow? Is delayed wakeup their lazy fix for UBs or did they do something with the hitstop of moves or something (remember hearing something similar but can't recall)?

Ramza wrote: »
    I think UBs will still be in this game, somehow? Is delayed wakeup their lazy fix for UBs or did they do something with the hitstop of moves or something (remember hearing something similar but can't recall)?

Delayed wake up certainly means there'll be no true unblockables I guess, but I know for a fact they've done other things to address it, as different chars suffer from different UBs in SF4.

For example, there's quite a few unique UBs on Guile. These have been removed by changing the shape of his hurtbox on the first frame of wake up (also has the nice side effect of making cross ups a little harder to land on him as he wakes too). At one point Combofiend was asking people to try their unblockables at loketests to see if they'd missed any.

The hitstop thing has never been confirmed AFAIK.

So I played 500 Yen worth of this today, got 10 games or so my initial thoughts are really only Makoto and some bits that I saw or that happened to me but I'll let ye know anyway.

Firstly, no way I could test anything new for ye today, sorry! I was on my own (FG player-wise) and of the 16 machines in the arcade I hang out in, 16 were always full with another 16 or so people standing around waiting to hop on so I couldn't really afford to pick characters I can in no way use. On Saturday myself and Sai might be able to get in early enough to squeeze matches in and test stuff for ye.

Onto the game itself! My own Makoto experience was about 5 wins/4 losses. A godlike Ibuki stole 2 of my credits so I don't mind that too much. Lost to a terrible Hugo through total MU inexperience and another character that I can't really remember now haha.
    Makoto's ground combo into ex.DP is a really interesting addition to her arsenal. It allows her to go to mix-up at the end of a string opener and it combos from mp, so you can do Fierce Feint Strong into ex.DP. However, I couldn't get jump cancel fierce to combo outside the corner but I think that was just me. It might also have something to do with how close I decide to cancel.
    Nobody punished me on the extra frame of block stun on mk.Tsurugi but that's probably something people will look for in time.
    Wultra is not something I think is that useful for Makoto. U1 with less damage = Makoto BnB so if you really want the escape option, just go with U2 in my early opinion.

System mechanics I didn't see much of. I used delay wake up a good bit vs Ibuki and she would always recognise it and go straight into overhead for meaty OH, so people are already thinking of ways around it. It was great for getting out of the usual brain dead ibuki stuff though. Against me, people were using it a lot but I don't really play set piece-ey SF so it doesn't bother me at all.
    Red focus is something I saw very little of. I didn't do one (on purpose; did a sick st.HP > RFADC backwards) but I saw some people doing them and getting blown up for it by people just mashing jab or cancelling to a focus breaker.

Other character wise, lots of Ken on show, lots of Oni, Ibuki and lots of Guile. Not a single Cammy ;_;

Think that's everything. Leave your questions here if you have any :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I got out of an after work employee dinner at 2200 then took a train to the nearest arcade 4 towns over to get a quick spin. None of them had it yet, and they won't until May! Buuuuuulllllllshiiit

Rechafrecharecha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

So red focus gets broken after a certain amount of hits?

Dreddybajs wrote: »

I think you can still knock someone out of it when they release the buttons to attack, except Lvl 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think you can take as many hits as your health will allow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dreddybajs wrote: »

Nah, it just interrupts at the end where the absorbing part stops, like vs some normal focuses

Advertisement