Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options
  • 03-10-2013 11:59am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Every post about tickets and ticket sales has been removed.
    If you're looking for tickets, head on over to toutless.com or ask the user Toast on here, but do it via PM.

Posts will be removed from here on and bans will be given out. Straight up month ban for whinging/sob storying looking for a tickets. Perm bans for the touts.

This will hopefully get rid of the clutter and let people talk about the gig.

MOD NOTE:

sick of this **** about people asking how to get booze in, talk about the gig from here on or you're banned for a week.

Could not wait any longer :D:D:D:D:D:D

Who do people think will be there next year?

I can see either one of the following headlining (like AM ) Kasabian/Prodigy/QOTSA . The more mainstream/commercial headliner

Other headliners??? Elbow (although can see them doing Longitude)

Also can "maybe" see a few of the following: The Pixies (sub headliners) , Janelle Monae , The Naked and Famous , Haim , Placebo , Deer Tick etc to name a few

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would like to see:
    Aphex Twin / Tuss
    Jon Hopkins
    John Butler Trio
    Iggy & the Stooges
    LKJ and the Dennis Bovell Dub Band
    Yellowman (main stage or Trenchtown)
    Animal Collective
    Butthole Surfers (curious, like)
    Reid
    Forward Strategy Group
    Blur
    Skatalites
    Bocs Social (a great ska band from Wexford)
    Bombskare (a great ska band from Edinburgh and practically resident at the Wickerman festival in Scotland)
    David Gilmour (In light of getting the amazing Robert Plant this year, how about some Floyd classics next year)
    Liz Fraser (ex-Cocteau Twins and Massive Attack)
    Portishead
    Ceephax Acid Crew
    Boards of Canada
    Daevid Allen with Steve Hillage, Gilli Smyth, Dider Malherbe, Tim Blake and Mike Howlett as GONG!
    Hawkwind with Brock, Lemmy and Tim Blake at least
    Daft Punk (but they can sell out numerous double the EP capacity events, so not realistic and EP would sell out too fast)
    Prince (pretty eclectic enough but definitely a major headliner)
    Air.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Would like to see:
    Aphex Twin / Tuss
    Jon Hopkins
    John Butler Trio
    Iggy & the Stooges
    LKJ and the Dennis Bovell Dub Band
    Yellowman (main stage or Trenchtown)
    Animal Collective
    Butthole Surfers (curious, like)
    Reid
    Forward Strategy Group
    Blur
    Skatalites
    Bocs Social (a great ska band from Wexford)
    Bombskare (a great ska band from Edinburgh and practically resident at the Wickerman festival in Scotland)
    David Gilmour (In light of getting the amazing Robert Plant this year, how about some Floyd classics next year)
    Liz Fraser (ex-Cocteau Twins and Massive Attack)
    Portishead
    Ceephax Acid Crew
    Boards of Canada
    Daevid Allen with Steve Hillage, Gilli Smyth, Dider Malherbe, Tim Blake and Mike Howlett as GONG!
    Hawkwind with Brock, Lemmy and Tim Blake at least
    Daft Punk (but they can sell out numerous double the EP capacity events, so not realistic and EP would sell out too fast)
    Prince (pretty eclectic enough but definitely a major headliner)
    Air.

A few gems there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

seriously ?? about 8 months of people saying what they would like to see ? or people guessing who will play based on foook all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

oh dear....here we go again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

miller82 wrote: »
    seriously ?? about 8 months of people saying what they would like to see ? or people guessing who will play based on foook all.

A full 11 months before it even starts? At least wait til they announce the early birds or the turn of the year

• Advertisement

Well I might as well post my review for 2013, so that EP goers for 2014 can have a rough idea what to expect next year, except hopefully with its expanded Friday back, shameful plug to help my journalism career. http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/electric-picnic-festival-2013-review/ Any hospitality passes for bloggers, EP? for 2014 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd prefer 2012's €175 loyalty ticket and full Friday, than this year's €150 tickets and none of the main tents open on Friday...

So when is the announcement for this, I want Jon Hopkins to play it, in fact I want Jon Hopkins to play every Irish festival next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Increased capacity next year? I heard it'll be 45,000. I'm sure the locals will have something to say about that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lumbo wrote: »
    Increased capacity next year? I heard it'll be 45,000. I'm sure the locals will have something to say about that.

yes a big thank you to the amount of business it brings to a small town in pretty much the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

45k? Not a hope of it. 40k would be pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

More than 10 months to go, less than 1 page into the thread, and we already have an 'I heard'. This is going to be a long wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Any good deals on tents????

How many baby wipes should I bring????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mr.S wrote: »
    My dads brothers cats bestfriend is in the know and says its not happening, I swear.

Source :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Wouldn't that put EP in the same capacity range as Oxegen? I was thinking because Oxegen was like 50,000 this year, and ideally EP should be considerably smaller to appeal to the more "indie" crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Aotearoa

id eat my own mickey to see tame impala

karaokeman wrote: »
    Wouldn't that put EP in the same capacity range as Oxegen? I was thinking because Oxegen was like 50,000 this year, and ideally EP should be considerably smaller to appeal to the more "indie" crowd.
    no. oxegen was 25k and didn't sell out.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oxegen '13 originally had a max of 50k but then was reduced to 25k due to poor sales!

It doesn't need to be smaller to appeal to the "indie" crowd (not sure what that is tbh :p). A decent mix of mainstream and unsigned, hot bands - keeping Body & Soul and having decent ticket prices will see EP succeed.

Gone are the days of EP being a small boutique festival. FR are involved now after all!

Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with Oxegen this year, I knew the sales were poor but I was unaware the capacity was reduced.

By the "indie" crowd I was referring to the music fans who might be interested in lesser known acts, bands like Flaming Lips, Wilco, Camera Obscura. I agree a good mix of mainstream, unsigned and bands somewhere in between like the aforementioned "indie" acts.

I was thinking EP could remain the same size, but whatever. Good thing is now more music fans can have the experience.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with Oxegen this year, I knew the sales were poor but I was unaware the capacity was reduced.

By the "indie" crowd I was referring to the music fans who might be interested in lesser known acts, bands like Flaming Lips, Wilco, Camera Obscura. I agree a good mix of mainstream, unsigned and bands somewhere in between like the aforementioned "indie" acts.

I was thinking EP could remain the same size, but whatever. Good thing is now more music fans can have the experience.

Lesser known acts that have headlined festivals in this country?

Also Flaming lips are on warner and while wilco are now on their own label they've had plenty backing from majors. In fact warner hated and liked them so much they paid them twice for a record.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Lesser known acts that have headlined festivals in this country?

Also Flaming lips are on warner and while wilco are now on their own label they've had plenty backing from majors. In fact warner hated and liked them so much they paid them twice for a record.

True they headlined festivals in this country, but none bigger than EP. My point is EP often caters to fans of lesser known acts.

I understand you might say they're not that unknown, when I talk of lesser known acts I mean bands that are not as well known as RHCP, the Killers, Green Day, Lady GaGa etc. I know Killers and Arctic Monkeys headlined the last 2 years, but I'm speaking about the majority of acts in general.

I generally say "indie crowd" to categorize fans of those "lesser known bands". I use that phrase for lack of a better term, because generally indie refers to a minority interest. It becomes problematic to use that term for independently signed acts because as you say plenty of indie bands still have a lot of major label backing.

That said you might have your own perception of the term and that's perfectly fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

SV wrote: »
    45k? Not a hope of it. 40k would be pushing it.

I heard that from a journalist who was talking to the head of FR at EP. The head of FR said next year he wanted an increased capacity and better toilet facilities. Obviously other agencies would have some sort of a say when it comes to them applying for the license but with the festival selling out this year and the ridiculous demand for tickets on the blackmarket, you can hardly blame the organisers for wanting to cash in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I heard that from a journalist who was talking to the head of FR at EP. The head of FR said next year he wanted an increased capacity and better toilet facilities. Obviously other agencies would have some sort of a say when it comes to them applying for the license but with the festival selling out this year and the ridiculous demand for tickets on the blackmarket, you can hardly blame the organisers for wanting to cash in.

I know that, I just can't see where they'd fit them, the entire site is used at the moment isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I know that, I just can't see where they'd fit them, the entire site is used at the moment isn't it?
    There was an entire overflow campsite that was empty up past Janis Joplin and beside the camper van area... that looked to be even larger than the Janis Joplin site, so there's definitely room to fit more people in.

If they do increase the capacity, I hope it goes back to purely weekend tickets as it used to be. Feckers are full of energy and they're everywhere on the Sunday and the place is very crowded. At least if you had extra campers, there'd always be a certain percentage hanging back at the campsite, or checking out the smaller stages because they wouldn't be as interested in the Main Stages.

Oxegen used to have a capacity of 80,000 and yet the festival site was much smaller than EP's festival site, I was at Oxegen in 2010 on a day trip on Sunday, I didn't see the campsite though which may have been bigger.

Oxegen used to have a capacity of 80,000 and yet the festival site was much smaller than EP's festival site, I was at Oxegen in 2010 on a day trip on Sunday, I didn't see the campsite though which may have been bigger.

Pretty sure oxegen was a way bigger site back in its heyday. It really sprawled out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

EP 2014? Nah thanks, see yous at body and soul. Its gone very Mc Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Your loss :)

JG009 wrote: »
    EP 2014? Nah thanks, see yous at body and soul. Its gone very Mc Picnic.
    the same Body & Soul that screwed people this year to make profit for themselves and their sponsors? best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

We getting a headliner before xmas do we reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Bit of a leap of faith this year re: early birds! In the past I pretty much knew what I was going to get! Not too sure this time?
    Will it be a 50,000 capacity, scum bag (& shallow D4 types) infested 'body & soul'less' picnic, headlined by Calvin Harris and SHM decided by the biggest sponsor! Airport style metal detectors at every entrance, sure why not remove the camp names, just have colours, cut down the trees, charge for car parking, guarantee places for the biggest paying food vendors and re-name all the stages to stage 1,2,3 etc. remove any element of kid friendliness, culture and thought provocation because it costs money, funnel post leaving cert. barely legal 'green' teens into a niche market crank up the price €3 water, €8 pint €10burger, turn them upside down to ensure every last coin is extracted! Adults after all fair game! (Wait this model already existed and failed!!) Could get about 4-5 steadily downhill years out of it until it's ruined by that time someone else inspirational will have created the next "hip" event, the cash from the last EP years can be used to muscle in and "re-form" this!! Sustainability? nope!! Grab as much cash as possible? Yes!!
    Ott and dramatic I know, but it would be a real shame even if only 1% of this was true.
    With the risk of sounding like one of those "oxegen was great when it was witness" c**ts I think we all have to admit the picnic as we know it is gone, I wish they could rename it at least so that we can distinguish which festival is being referred to while pub s**te talking!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement