Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread*** [R1 points linked in first post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Beechfiled wrote: »
    Wanted English and History in UCD and got DNA and forensic analysis in ITT

Sorry, I meant how many points.
    Beechfiled wrote: »
    SORRY...... scrap that, I was looking at the wrong list, it dropped by 50 points this year, apologies.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Colleges often don't update the minimum points 'til well into the next school year. You can find the 2014 points on cao.ie and careersportal.ie. It was also in yesterday's Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

I got no offers but had points for both courses. Both said i needed two higher c3's but i only got one and got two d1's. Is there any chance i could get offered it in the second round??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    I got no offers but had points for both courses. Both said i needed two higher c3's but i only got one and got two d1's. Is there any chance i could get offered it in the second round??

No, you have to meet the entry requirements before you can get an offer for a course.

It's really frustrating knowing that i have the points. Im going to recheck the two d1 exams and hopefully i'll get one of them up to a c3 so i'll be eligible for the course

Could i still apply for a level 7 course now if a place becomes availible even if i didnt put it down as one of my choices??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Could i still apply for a level 7 course now if a place becomes availible even if i didnt put it down as one of my choices??

You can't apply for it but if there are places available for it after Round 2, there will be a Clearing List where there are courses that still have spaces. Not guaranteed to have an empty place but it's possible for it to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    You can't apply for it but if there are places available for it after Round 2, there will be a Clearing List where there are courses that still have spaces. Not guaranteed to have an empty place but it's possible for it to happen

There is a list of vacant places on the CAO website currently under the Available Places list. Some extra places may be added to this list at the end of Round 1 and Round 2

Is it on this list?

http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses.php

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Did you repeat you LC 4 times or do something else in between ?

If you did that is some effort and congrats on getting in!

I'm heading into 3rd year (Not UCD) but I did my first degree there! You will hopefully love it after all that hard work.

Thanks grapefruit :)
    Well I sat the LC three times and the HPAT four times! Everyone thought I was crazy... It took me awhile but I proved tem all wrong!
    I'll be starting in NUIG :)

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    +1

Also your grind schools argument is obsolete . I went to a normal school and worked hard everyday to get my course .
    If you are capable of getting a course you will get it whether you go to a grind school or not . Maybe their notes are better but if you are good academically you are good academically .

I know people in grind schools who ended up on fetac level 6 courses and I know many who couldn't hack the pressure of grinds schools and drop out. Everyone gets the same essays to learn off so its harder to do well.
    That being said if your stubborn enough to keep at it, you will always get what you want in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

LoveChanel wrote: »
    I know people in grind schools who ended up on fetac level 6 courses and I know many who couldn't hack the pressure of grinds schools and drop out. Everyone gets the same essays to learn off so its harder to do well.
    That being said if your stubborn enough to keep at it, you will always get what you want in the end...

Exactly, agree 100% with you. It doesn't matter in the slightest where you go to school, it's how much work you put in yourself and how much you truly want to succeed.
    I went to my local Joe-soap single sex secondary school and I have to say although everything about the place was average I couldn't have been happier. If you want to succeed all the teachers are behind you, you make lifelong friends and get everything you need to continue on your way. Whether your best is 600, 500 or 250 points, it doesn't matter where you go school. If you want it enough you''ll succeed!

Queeferz wrote: »
    I accepted my course on Monday, it was a course in trinity which was my 6th choice on my cao. Now that I have had time to think, I would prefer my 7th choice, also in trinity and for the exact same amount of points. It may be possible to move courses when I'm in there but it's not guaranteed. Does anyone know if I contacted the cao if they could do anything, maybe offer me a place before second round offers go out? I understand that you don't get offered a lower preference course in second round offers but maybe someone can help me)

No. The CAO will not do this. The rules are very simple and very clear. You will not get offered something lower down on your list of preferences. If the CAO made an exception for you, they would have to make an exception for everyone else in the country.

I understand that you don't get offered a lower preference course in second round

So you understand that there's nothing the CAO can do.

You can try to transfer by talking to TCD or you can apply to that course next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

when do the cao requirements points come up for students doing the leaving cert this year? 2015 summer

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Queeferz

Nimr wrote: »
    So you understand that there's nothing the CAO can do.

You can try to transfer by talking to TCD or you can apply to that course next year.

I understand it's a computerised system and will not be offered a lower preference course in round 2, I am saying if I speak to someone perhaps they can intervene or do something. Maybe they have done something like this before, 99% sure they haven't but just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

when do the cao requirements points come up for students doing the leaving cert this year? 2015 summer

Same as every year, when the CAO offers go out. Third monday in August probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Same as every year, when the CAO offers go out. Third monday in August probably.
    So basically lets say nursing was 440 for this years entry requirement and what will happen if you hit 440 bang on in your lc results? So will it be a hit or a miss and hope that the points for the course doesn't increase?

I understand it's a computerised system and will not be offered a lower preference course in round 2, I am saying if I speak to someone perhaps they can intervene or do something. Maybe they have done something like this before, 99% sure they haven't but just in case.

Sweet mother of god. You are no more special than anyone else who applied to the CAO. They do not make exceptions. There is no-one you can talk to who can bend the rules to suit you. If you wanted your seventh preference more than your sixth you should have put it above your sixth on the list.

Your options:

Take your 6th preference and ask Trinity if they will allow an internal transfer.
    Take your 6th preference and hope for a higher preference in Round 2.
    Decline your 6th preference and re-apply next year.

That's it, there are no more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So basically lets say nursing was 440 for this years entry requirement and what will happen if you hit 440 bang on in your lc results? So will it be a hit or a miss and hope that the points for the course doesn't increase?

Basically, yes. Put your courses in preference of what you want to do most rather than points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Not gonna happen. You're no different to the thousands of other students and will not make an exception for you in any case. The rules were very clear and simple to follow, the best you could hope for is a transfer or re-applying next year.

• Advertisement

You have to wait and see. Colleges do not set a points minimum. If there are 100 places on the course and 250 people apply, they are listed according to points score. The highest 100 points scores on the list get offered a place. The points score of number 100 on the list is the points you see in the paper/CAO website. It means that the last person who got into the course got that point score and the other 99 above them had an equal or higher points score.

So points can vary from year to year, if demand for a course drops, points tend to drop, and if demand rises points tend to rise. Most courses don't change wildly from year to year as demand is steady but some can see some sharp rises and falls which are often influenced by the economy, job opportunities, or a college making more/less places available on a course.

You'll know the minimum points on the day you get your offers. The grade requirements shouldn't change. I suggest you try and understand the CAO offers system.

Aside from certain grade requirements for some courses, there are no 'CAO points requirements'. If there are 100 standard places in a course, they give out the places to the 100 highest scoring applicants of that course. So the CAO points of the 100th person(the lowest) will be the 'minimum points' for that course in that year.

There is no way for you to know what the minimum points for your course next year will be until the day offers are sent out but previous minimum points should give you an idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sweet mother of god.
    Deep breathsssss!!!! Deeeeeepppppppp breaths!!!

Visualise your special place!!!!!!!!!!!

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....

:pac:

1038954911_berpenguin.jpg

:D

Theres no telling some people..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

i got an E but got a B1 and a C1 nd met the requirements
    wwhat r the chances of a round 2 offer bareing in mind im 60 points off it

i got an E but got a B1 and a C1 nd met the requirements
    wwhat r the chances of a round 2 offer bareing in mind im 60 points off it
    Tbh, lad, somewhere between slim and none, and I heard a rumour Slim's on holidays! :)

While it's technically possible, the chances of a 60 pt drop in Round 2 is tiny, realistically!

Which course are we talking about, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

twas tinkin dat :L ah ya never know stranger tings ave happened haha inoe this isnt the right forum but is it possible to sit the leaving again and just do 6 subject cause i already passed maths/irish ?

• Advertisement

inoe this isnt the right forum but is it possible to sit the leaving again and just do 6 subject cause i already passed maths/irish ?
    Yes, it is, except for medicine where you have to meet all requirements in the one sitting.

And it kinda is the right forum! :pac:

Advertisement