Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Hoki wrote: »
    I've just installed Windows 10 yet I keep getting a blank screen after start up. I'm able to see the screen where I enter my password but after hitting enter the screen goes black and all I can see is my mouse cursor. Ctrl-alt-del does bring up my task manager etc but having restarted my computer a few times I keep getting the same problem, any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete . Click new task and type explorer.exe and might come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today
    Today, we reach our next milestone as the first major update to Windows 10 is now available* for PCs and tablets. With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands of partners updating their device drivers and applications for great Windows 10 compatibility. Windows 10 also starts rolling out to Xbox One today and select mobile phones soon.

But most importantly, with this free update we have reached the point in the platform’s maturity where we can confidently recommend Windows 10 deployment to whole organizations.

According to reddit post's it is possible to upgrade using the ISO from techbench as it has been reported the update is about 2.7 GB in size.

Edit 14/11/15 00:15 --- Successfully used the techbench ISO to update my laptop tonight.

What’s New in Windows 10’s First Big Update (Which Arrives Today)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Microsoft yanks Windows 10 November upgrade from download site.

You can no longer update using the Media Creation Tool or the Techbench ISO's!

A step backward, I have limited broadband and it was handy to be able to download ISO's from free wifi.

Looks like MS resolved the problem with the update, and you can now update again using Media Creation Tool or the Techbench ISO's.

See here

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3120677)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3120677

Resolved the issues with the Update for people who already updated/upgraded. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3121244

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

corkie wrote: »
    Microsoft yanks Windows 10 November upgrade from download site.

You can no longer update using the Media Creation Tool or the Techbench ISO's!

A step backward, I have limited broadband and it was handy to be able to download ISO's from free wifi.

I do not understand what their rationale is for doing this? Any ideas?

I haven't yet upgraded to W10 but would have thought that the latest version should be available for download, once the upgrades are released, rather than doing this is a piecemeal manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Finished installation around 1300 hrs with no problems, seems to be working away fine so far... doesnt seem hugely different to 8.1.

The above referred to August 6th last and Windows 10 worked away with no problems for a few months. Over the past few months it has become a pain in the butt....runs for hours after any updates on attempted Restart(s) I have to either do a hot shutdown or press Ctrl+Alt+Del and play around with it to get it back to "normal", it will then run away fine again until the next batch of updates. Occasionally some of the icons on the Desktop are/go blank which entails some more black magic.
    I (wife) have another Laptop with Windows 7 with Windows 10 upgrade available but under no circumstances, even when support ends for Windows 7 will I upgrade it, anyone thinking of upgrading now from Windows 7...DO NOT, is my humble advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guys if this has been answered umpteen times although I did see an answer in the second post of this thread but just in case anything has changed in the last 6 months I decided its safer to ask.

I just recently bought a desktop PC with Windows 8.1 installed and only last night I downloaded Windows 10 but its not installed yet. Will all my current settings and installed programmes etc remain the same after I install 10?

Thanks from a PC dummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My advice is copy your music,photos, to a dvdr or a usb drive before you do the w10 install,
    windows 10 has different menus, settings, to a certain extent ,
    it has more emphasis on desktop mode, for mouse,keyboard ,users,
    but it still runs windows metro apps .

http://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

I see no point in updating to windows 10 from windows 7 unless you really want certain
    w10 apps or to use tablet mode ,
    i understand w10 maybe slightly more secure than windows 7.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

Step 3: Install it mostly by clicking the Next button, making sure to CHOOSE Upgrade when prompted. If you want to clean install, follow our clean install instructions instead.

WRITE DOWN THE windows 7, license key before you start .

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/upgrade-windows-8-1-to-windows-10/

Note: Before starting the upgrade, make sure you have all of your important data BACKED up first. Or you might even want to make a system image, and create a recovery key before the upgrade. The upgrade process is relatively simple, but there’s always a chance of something going awry.

Unless you’re particular about how you want your Windows settings, just go with Express Settings during setup (versus custom settings). It allows you to get up and running a lot faster, and if you want to make any adjustments, you can do that later.

YOU may want to use custom settings ,instead of express settings .

back up music,photos, videos, to usb or dvdr discs before you stard the w10 install process .

Thanks riclad.

I havent much on the PC at the moment which is running on Windows 8.1 so back up shouldnt be an issue.

The 8.1 interface had me completely lost and one of my young lads was able to download and install something or other that left the desktop and the different functions looking like XP or vista which I have been used to over the years. I wonder can the same be done again with W10? - i.e. being able to install something that will make it look and feel like XP/Vista or even W7?

muffler wrote: »
    Thanks riclad.

I havent much on the PC at the moment which is running on Windows 8.1 so back up shouldnt be an issue.

The 8.1 interface had me completely lost and one of my young lads was able to download and install something or other that left the desktop and the different functions looking like XP or vista which I have been used to over the years. I wonder can the same be done again with W10? - i.e. being able to install something that will make it look and feel like XP/Vista or even W7?

I backed up all my Folders to a Hard Drive before I upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1 last August, I had absolutely no problems whatsoever doing so, my only problem is with the Updates which I have posted above. Win10 operates quite like 8.1 in my opinion, I had no problem in using either...coming from Win7. I dont know when the free upgrade offer ends, maybe July?, it might be prudent to wait a little longer before taking the plunge as the Updates problems may be solved shortly.

• Advertisement

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-10-look-like-windows-7/]

i think windows 10 can be changed by downloading from stardock make w10 look like windows 7.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the replies.

I might hold on the installation for a wee while if there's some ongoing issues with it.

http://www.classicshell.net/

make windows 8.1 look like windows 7.
    there,s similar apps, make windows 10 lok like windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

you know when your in W7 and you click on get windows 10 and you get the Blue screen with "Downloading Windows 10 - feel free to keep using your PC" and then you get the progress message - well which folder on the PC is it downloading to? - Have checked user/download, its not downloading there. Have checked app data/temp folder and its not downloading to there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

you know when your in W7 and you click on get windows 10 and you get the Blue screen with "Downloading Windows 10 - feel free to keep using your PC" and then you get the progress message - well which folder on the PC is it downloading to? - Have checked user/download, its not downloading there. Have checked app data/temp folder and its not downloading to there either.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/windows-10-automatic-download/#4fc8939b773a

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone on here have an opinion on whether I should upgrade to W10?

I've heard mixed things about it (mostly fairly general, not technical) and I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to these things.....

I have an Acer Aspire laptop, probably nearing 10 years old, and recently had it wiped, cleaned up and W7 installed, and it's running lovely again. But every time I start up I get a prompt saying millions have upgraded to W10 and here's my chance and don't lose out. Surely the guy who did the job on it recently would have put in W10 if that was the best idea? He seemed to be of the opinion that W10 was just a fix for some other Windows programme (can't remember which one) and W7 was the one to do.

I'm happy enough with W7 (apart from having lost the use of the € key, grrr!) - is there anything W10 would do for me that I'm missing out on??

Would a near-10-year old laptop be able for W10? (sorry if that's a stupid question)

Is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't install the W10 "while I have the chance, for free"???

Thanks very much in advance!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have an opinion on whether I should upgrade to W10?
    I'm happy enough with W7 (apart from having lost the use of the € key, grrr!) - is there anything W10 would do for me that I'm missing out on?

I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 (on my own L.Top) no problem but its a bit of a pain after it does its automatic updates but is improving, it works quite well and is similar to 8.1.
    Two friends of mine both had problems in upgrading from Win7 and one has reverted back to Win7. I have/had no personal preferences in using either of the three versions, two now, Win7 & Win10.

The € on this Win.7 L.Top is (Ctrl+Alt) + 4 on the keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 (on my own L.Top) no problem but its a bit of a pain after it does its automatic updates but is improving, it works quite well and is similar to 8.1.
    Two friends of mine both had problems in upgrading from Win7 and one has reverted back to Win7. I have/had no personal preferences in using either of the three versions, two now, Win7 & Win10.

The € on this Win.7 L.Top is (Ctrl+Alt) + 4 on the keypad.

Thanks for the upgrade info. It's particularly the upgrade from 7 to 10 that I'm interested in. Until I hear of a compelling reason to change, I'll stick with 7!

Re the euro symbol - this particular laptop has a dedicated € key which has become redundant/disabled with the upgrade, I now have to use AltGr + 4 - not exactly the end of the world but annoying all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

currently trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10. But when i click the update now button all it does is reboots my computer

So not sure am i missing a step or what i am doing wrong.

I can get to this screen but as i said about just reboots the computer and open back into windows 7

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

scheister wrote: »
    currently trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10. But when i click the update now button all it does is reboots my computer

So not sure am i missing a step or what i am doing wrong.

I can get to this screen but as i said about just reboots the computer and open back into windows 7

you could try using the method here. Should sort it

Nick

download the 'media creator tool' and then choose 'upgrade this pc' - better way to go i reckon

how do people think it will go in July/August when the free upgrade runs out? - how much do you reckon it will cost nominal €30 cost or something like €150eur?

Maybe it will be a scenario of 'we have decided to extend the free windows 10 upgrade programme until ....' ? - who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

how do people think it will go in July/August when the free upgrade runs out? - how much do you reckon it will cost nominal €30 cost or something like €150eur?

Maybe it will be a scenario of 'we have decided to extend the free windows 10 upgrade programme until ....' ? - who knows

It's a one shot deal, trust me, after 29th July you will pay big bucks for win 10. Wait and see.

i think the download website might go into meltdown maybe the week before that end date .... maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

yoyo wrote: »
    you could try using the method here. Should sort it

Nick
    download the 'media creator tool' and then choose 'upgrade this pc' - better way to go i reckon

Thanks everyone it finally updated for me

The iso's are now also available from this link from a non windows device: - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

Techbench links are still down!

Advertisement