Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Upgrading to win10 now.

Currently on 20%
    Might go get some sleep. Could be a while.....

Ditto here.....on 35% just now, it has downloaded this in 32 minutes. Windows 10 hasnt shown up here on this (other) Laptop with Windows 7, I presume it will become available sometime??. I must say though that I had no problems whatsoever with Windows 8.1, hope Windows 10 is bug free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I'm starting now. Its at "preparing for installation" and going slowly.

Ditto here.....on 35% just now, it has downloaded this in 32 minutes. Windows 10 hasnt shown up here on this (other) Laptop with Windows 7, I presume it will become available sometime??. I must say though that I had no problems whatsoever with Windows 8.1, hope Windows 10 is bug free.

Finished installation around 1300 hrs with no problems, seems to be working away fine so far... doesnt seem hugely different to 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Finished installation around 1300 hrs with no problems, seems to be working away fine so far... doesnt seem hugely different to 8.1.

On the front end it really isnt. W10 can really be considered an optimized 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

Anyone experiencing any bugs with Windows 10? One I have that did work before is the Search function. It's returning no results. It did before :(.

Also, is anyone else's Start Menu a fixed width? I can't re-size with the width on mine only the height?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

OK I have 2 failed product key activations from a fresh install of Windows 10. 1 is a dell Windows 8, other a new Lenovo windows 8.1. Both failed the upgrade method so I had no choice but to embark on the boot via USB and clean install method.

Firstly I saved the key embedded in the BIOS using produkey to notepad for both devices. Both would not accept the key initially (anyway why is the install not reading the key from the BIOS and not bothering with that prompt) when booting during the 1st screens, and performing a fresh install so I skipped. The help in Microsoft says this is simple and should work, this is plain wrong.

Anyway both systems at a not activated stage tried changing key no joy as for MS activation support a waste of time. One agent hung up on me the other said wait 48 hours!

I believe there are serious issues with activation on fresh install upgrades that are not being addressed plus MS does not specify how to extract the key from the BIOS on devices, just BS find the label and write it down (advice that only applies on Windows 7 devices). At the very least Microsoft should have an official tool to provide the key from the BIOS.

When you get it installed Wndows 10 is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

OK I have 2 failed product key activations from a fresh install of Windows 10. 1 is a dell Windows 8, other a new Lenovo windows 8.1. Both failed the upgrade method so I had no choice but to embark on the boot via USB and clean install method.

Firstly I saved the key embedded in the BIOS using produkey to notepad for both devices. Both would not accept the key initially (anyway why is the install not reading the key from the BIOS and not bothering with that prompt) when booting during the 1st screens, and performing a fresh install so I skipped. The help in Microsoft says this is simple and should work, this is plain wrong.

Anyway both systems at a not activated stage tried changing key no joy as for MS activation support a waste of time. One agent hung up on me the other said wait 48 hours!

I believe there are serious issues with activation on fresh install upgrades that are not being addressed plus MS does not specify how to extract the key from the BIOS on devices, just BS find the label and write it down (advice that only applies on Windows 7 devices). At the very least Microsoft should have an official tool to provide the key from the BIOS.

When you get it installed Wndows 10 is fine.

What you're trying to do isn't going to work. Windows 10 can't be activated with a 7 or 8 product key, and Microsoft support seem to be a bit confused about the whole matter too.

You need to perform the upgrade from your previous OS to 10. When you do Microsoft will create an identifier from your hardware configuration and store it on their servers saying "yes this person has upgraded within the first year", and assign you a generic Windows 10 key (TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for Home, VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T for Pro.
    Then when you clean install Windows 10 later and skip the product key prompts (forcing the generic key to be used), Microsoft will check on their servers to see if your hardware has a licence, and activate it if so. This also means hardware changes will likely break Windows 10 activations for people who took the free upgrade.

So until you actually perform the upgrade, you won't be able to grab a Windows 10 licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

maki wrote: »
    What you're trying to do isn't going to work. Windows 10 can't be activated with a 7 or 8 product key, and Microsoft support seem to be a bit confused about the whole matter too.

You need to perform the upgrade from your previous OS to 10. When you do Microsoft will create an identifier from your hardware configuration and store it on their servers saying "yes this person has upgraded within the first year", and assign you a generic Windows 10 key (TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for Home, VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T for Pro.
    Then when you clean install Windows 10 later and skip the product key prompts (forcing the generic key to be used), Microsoft will check on their servers to see if your hardware has a licence, and activate it if so. This also means hardware changes will likely break Windows 10 activations for people who took the free upgrade.

So until you actually perform the upgrade, you won't be able to grab a Windows 10 licence.

This is very interesting - I read in some review that once activated, it would be possible to create a DVD or USB copy of Windows 10 for future use?

What key are the asking for on a clean install so?

That's all well and good however in cases where the upgrade just will not work and the only option is a clean boot, format and reinstall (what is the point of the ISO/USB creations tool) what are the options? Microsoft need to address these situations as its obvious when you buy a device from an OEM with the BIOS embedded key you are entitled to the upgrade provided you match the versions correctly.

I am going to give the current device 48 hours then pester the activation lines, hopefully a few more will do the same and it will force Microsoft into a better system for cleans installs where the upgrade has failed.

Maidhci wrote: »
    This is very interesting - I read in some review that once activated, it would be possible to create a DVD or USB copy of Windows 10 for future use?

You can, once activated from an upgrade. After that you clean install and it will detect that you've previously upgraded and activate.
    What key are the asking for on a clean install so?

That's all well and good however in cases where the upgrade just will not work and the only option is a clean boot, format and reinstall (what is the point of the ISO/USB creations tool) what are the options? Microsoft need to address these situations as its obvious when you buy a device from an OEM with the BIOS embedded key you are entitled to the upgrade provided you match the versions correctly.

I am going to give the current device 48 hours then pester the activation lines, hopefully a few more will do the same and it will force Microsoft into a better system for cleans installs where the upgrade has failed.

On a clean install they're asking for a key from customers who purchased Windows 10 from retail (or got a key through MSDN/DreamSpark). The Media Creation Tool is also primarily directed towards the same group of customers.

If Windows Update isn't working you can try to upgrade using the Media Creation Tool, and selecting "upgrade this pc". If that doesn't work you likely have a problem in your own OS, and will have to try to fix that. Worst case scenario you can do a clean install of your current OS, and upgrade from that.

• Advertisement

You can, once activated from an upgrade. After that you clean install and it will detect that you've previously upgraded and activate.

Thank you for that clarification - presumably it is the relevant generic key, outlined in your earlier post, that will be used to reinstall?

If Windows Update isn't working you can try to upgrade using the Media Creation Tool, and selecting "upgrade this pc". If that doesn't work you likely have a problem in your own OS, and will have to try to fix that. Worst case scenario you can do a clean install of your current OS, and upgrade from that.

There is hours of work in all that (do people value their time!) instead of a simple format reinstall and reactivate from the OEM key in the BIOS proving license and entitlement. I know your not microsoft but that route is just daft. I should note one of the failed upgrades was on a brand new lenovo PC that had nothing installed except the windows updates and the mcafee software removed pre upgrade attempt. OEM Windows 8.1 OS could not be the issue...

Thank you for that clarification - presumably it is the relevant generic key, outlined in your earlier post, that will be used to reinstall?

Yes, when you skip the product key entry screen during install, Windows will use a generic key. When it tries to activate it will see the generic key, which causes it to query some server to see if that computer has previously upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 within the one year time limit.

Yes, when you skip the product key entry screen during install, Windows will use a generic key. When it tries to activate it will see the generic key, which causes it to query some server to see if that computer has previously upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 within the one year time limit.

Thanks maki for that information. It appears therefore that the Windows 10 upgrade licence, if that is the correct term, will be computer specific?

I would have thought that having created a backup DVD copy, post upgrade, that it should be possible to use that media to do a complete reinstall, say in the event that a new HD was installed or some similar eventuality?

Thanks maki for that information. It appears therefore that the Windows 10 upgrade licence, if that is the correct term, will be computer specific?

I would have thought that having created a backup DVD copy, post upgrade, that it should be possible to use that media to do a complete reinstall, say in the event that a new HD was installed or some similar eventuality?

It's computer specific in the sense that the licence is associated with a specific hardware configuration. It's not clear how exactly the pairing is done and what components are used to generate the hardware ID. I would doubt hard drives are considered, so I assume a hard drive change won't invalidate your licence, but something like a motherboard change certainly will.

In the case of the latter, you'd have to reinstall and activate Windows 7 or 8, then upgrade to 10 again to refresh your hardware ID as valid. Of course, once the one year free upgrade window has passed, this won't be possible.

At the end of the day, people who availed of the free upgrade don't exactly have the same freedom as people who bought a proper Windows 10 licence from retail.

It's computer specific in the sense that the licence is associated with a specific hardware configuration. It's not clear how exactly the pairing is done and what components are used to generate the hardware ID. I would doubt hard drives are considered, so I assume a hard drive change won't invalidate your licence, but something like a motherboard change certainly will.

In the case of the latter, you'd have to reinstall and activate Windows 7 or 8, then upgrade to 10 again to refresh your hardware ID as valid. Of course, once the one year free upgrade window has passed, this won't be possible.

At the end of the day, people who availed of the free upgrade don't exactly have the same freedom as people who bought a proper Windows 10 licence from retail.

Thanks again for your clarification in these matters.

I think the factors discussed here will be a major deterrent for W7 / W8 users in opting to upgrade to Windows 10. It appears to me, at any rate, that effectively, by upgrading, users are essentially converting a purchased Windows software licence, if relevant, to the equivalent of OEM installed software, which is not as flexible or adaptable by any standard.

I had understood, obviously incorrectly, that Miscrosoft were "pushing" W10 upgrade to existing W7 and W8 users. I think I am now convinced that it is better to hold onto W7 Pro and let it run its course - I am of course presuming that upgrading to W10 is not mandatory and that W7 will still be supported. All very interesting. Thanks again for your help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I am finding myself that Windows 10 is taking longer to boot up than my 8.1 that came on my dell laptop :( - windows 8.1 on my laptop was much faster at getting to the start screen from when turning on or restarting. Shall have to check the startup items in msconfig and see whats causing the delay.

I am finding myself that Windows 10 is taking longer to boot up than my 8.1 that came on my dell laptop :( - windows 8.1 on my laptop was much faster at getting to the start screen from when turning on or restarting. Shall have to check the startup items in msconfig and see whats causing the delay.

I was just browsing through Settings and in the Recovery section of Update&Security and I see that I can revert back to 8.1 by clicking "Get Started"
    it states that this option is only available for a month, so far my only big gripe with Windows 10 is that there is no option to stop any updates.
    I wonder if one opted to back to Windows 8.1 (or Windows 7, if applicable) if one can then again download Windows 10 for free before the year expires?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

...so far my only big gripe with Windows 10 is that there is no option to stop any updates....

I think you can stop if you set your network settings to "Metered connection" and disable the service: 'Windows Update" in services -as for wether you can un-install and go back to windows 8 and then back to win 10 at a later date I dont know for certain, but i dont see why you couldnt do that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Starting to really piss me off now!!

Ive had display issues with three different Nvidia cards now nothing ive tried seems to fix it.

I only just bought a new card in last few days thinking it would fix the issue as well. It actually did at first but it seems its back again now!!

What is happening is certain sections of windows are been shaded in color or been made darker. The first thing i notice is the login screen when i boot up is a lot darker to the point i cant see my name or what im typing on the screen or any of the white font with time and date etc.

Then theres shading issues when i right click on certain sections of windows everything just looks blank inside the box.

Updating drivers fixs it but it just reverts back each and every time.

Ive tried disabling updates ive tried running only windows updates for the drivers and not nvidias i dunno what else i can do.

It sounds like a small issue but its driving me crazy that a lot of what im using is shaded out or darkened for no bloody reason. It affects the quality of picture as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Chrome is forever acting the b***ix since updating. Half tempted to do another full fresh install but I'd say it'll make no difference. ):

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Since I have upgraded to windows10 the laptop wont close down when I click on the power icon in the menu. Has anyone else got the same issue and how do I solve it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

meolwan wrote: »
    Since I have upgraded to windows10 the laptop wont close down when I click on the power icon in the menu. Has anyone else got the same issue and how do I solve it ?

Sometimes when I shut down my pc it will go off and restart again.

meolwan wrote: »
    indows

Re the above is it closing down when you right click and then click on shut down from "shut down or sign out" ?. Mine shuts down using either the left or right click options.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I have Windows 8.1, if I download Windows 10 will it be free forever? There seems to be some confusion over this, that there may be a subscription service or something after the free first year?

I don't want to bother downloading it if I'm going to be charged for it later on. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for the first year , If you do not take the upgrade during this first year you will have to pay for the OS when the first year expires .

http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won%E2%80%99t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

But if I upgrade in the first year it's also free once the first year expires?

I don't want to download to have it free for the first year and then have to pay subs for each year after and be stuck with it.

So if I download now it's free for the lifetime of my laptop yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

THERE ARE NO SUBSCRIPTIONS FEE's

its Free to anyone for life with windows 7 or windows 8 until July 29 2016 , IF you have not taken the upgrade by then you have to pay for the Upgrade

Boot Up time on mine from shut down to (name and) password is 12.6 secs, then 6.4 secs from entering password to getting Desktop, have upgraded from 8.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

There seems to be some confusion over this,
    Just in case you didn't get it - THERE IS NO CONFUSION ON THIS POINT.

Microsoft made it very clear from the very first day that they announced that there would be no charge to upgrade from Win7/8 to Win10 for the first 12 months after the release of Windows 10, and that upgrade would be free for the supported lifetime of the upgraded device.

Do yourself a favour, and write off any website or commentator that made you confused on this issue as a completely unreliable source for anything tech related, and never pay any attention to them ever again.

Advertisement