Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Reverse Hair Washing"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This didn't suit my hair at all (think Merida from Brave). I can see how it'd work for other hair types though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The morning I tried this my friend commented when she saw me that my hair looked great and what had I done with it :pac:

I conditioned first and combed through, then tried not to tangle it too much as I shampooed. I wouldn't be doing it every day, as my hair is fine and gets very tangly easily. But it seemed to be lighter, drier and have more body. I know if I don't use conditioner at all (when I forget it going away and only have hotel shampoo, for example!) it feels similar but more brittle. the initial conditioning seems to counteract that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Didn't work well for me either and made my hair very dry and flyaway looking (I have long red curly hair) I find what makes it look best is to skip the shampoo completely and just use conditioner. I apply orofluido oil and boots curl creme after rinsing the conditioner out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I've been doing this for a while now, didn't think it made a big difference until I accidentally washed the normal way. My hair (fine, naturally oily, straight but not poker straight hair)is definitely better for it. That said, today it's a bit lifeless so I'll use a clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Gave this a go after reading about it here and it's made a big difference to my hair. I have long, thick hair that has a tendency to be oily. It's in good condition as I don't use many products or heat in it, it's fairly low maintenance.

With the reverse washing, I've noticed it's a lot shinier than usual, takes less time to dry after showering, and seems even more low maintenance than before. Happy out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

For some reason, I'm finding I get best results if I alternate doing it the normal way rather than the reverse way, i.e. every second time I wash it, has anyone else tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm off sick on the couch today and reading all the random threads. I have dry frizz at the ends and oily fine roots after pregnancy/birth two yrs ago made me lose swathes which never grew back! I washed my hair this morning but I'm definitely gonna give this a bash next time I wash it. Noooooo idea whether there's sls/ silicon in my shampoo/conditioner but I'll have a look (currently using John Freida Frizzease as it was on offer in Boots!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My hair dries much quicker after washing 'backwards', it's great! I'm very much a 'fire it up in a ponytail out of the way' kind of girl and used to find it was still damp in places the day after washing, whereas now it dries by lunchtime and gets wavy/curly without as much frizz, which is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I tried this on a whim and I can't believe how fabulously it worked! I wasn't expecting any difference but my hair is full of body and so shiny. I have lank, thin, fine hair that I have to load about 2300183738 products into to get any volume but even without those and without any back combing my hair looks so much fuller.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be passing it along! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

But I only shampoo the roots and condition the ends... how will this work for me? I have a really greasy scalp (partly due to washing every day but I don't want to look disgusting and oily for important things like work, college, etc) and dry ends so I keep the conditioner away from where it's not needed.

Reverse washing sounds like something I won't be able to do with that.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Do you still use products in your hair for styling it? I read on another site that you shouldn't use any products after using the reverse washing technique. However my hair is prone to frizzy ends so I can't imagine not using something to tame it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

So, I tried this yesterday morning. I was in a rush for work, so I literally gave it a two minute blast under the hair dryer and tied it up. Normally, I'd have mad frizz if I did this, and lifeless roots, but to my surprise I had nice volume and movement in the roots and the ends dried a lot less frizzy and had more shine. It was also a lot quicker to wash and rinse than normal. Day two today, I'd normally be really greasy and would have to either wash it or dry shampoo it, but its fine. I told my sister about it, she gave it a go this morning, I'll find out from her how her hair is tomorrow. I'm impressed so far! If I was styling/blow drying for a night out I'd be tempted to put a tiny bit of serum in the end, but for day to day I'd leave it as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Been doing this a couple of months now, not going back to the old way! It's also made a huge difference to my hair greasyness, it used to be 24 hours max that I could get out of a wash, now I can almost get two days out of it... Not quite, but almost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Just stumbled across the thread. I can't wait to try it in the morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Treseme are advertising a new routine for their volume products as condition first, shampoo after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Sneeky feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Delighted that I stumbled across this thread last night: decided to try this technique today and I gotta say, I'm liking it so far. I don't have that 'swish-swish' feeling that a good treatment leaves me with, but my hair dried very quickly, and it definitely has more body.
    Thanks op!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murphy01

I used Tresemme recently (the shampoo) and after a few washes I found my scalp was after coming out in a few lumps which were a little sore. I never usually react to hair products. Anyway I stopped using it and mentioned it to my hairdresser who told me that she has a number of clients who get that reaction from Tresemme shampoo...! Anyone else?

murphy01 wrote: »
    I used Tresemme recently (the shampoo) and after a few washes I found my scalp was after coming out in a few lumps which were a little sore. I never usually react to hair products. Anyway I stopped using it and mentioned it to my hairdresser who told me that she has a number of clients who get that reaction from Tresemme shampoo...! Anyone else?

Yeah, my OH reacted like that once, stopped using it and spent a while on head and shoulders and that seems to have sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murphy01

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Yeah, my OH reacted like that once, stopped using it and spent a while on head and shoulders and that seems to have sorted it.

Ya I was grand once I stopped and moved to something else... my husband had it too! Put me right off their products I have to say. I always wondered why they're stuff was always on offer...it's because it cheaply made sh!te obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Same issues with Tresemme, left with five or six painful lumpy spots on my scalp anytime I used it.

I have fairly thin, naturally greasy hair.

Started reverse washing after a boardsie told me what it was, and replaced my shampoos with Lush shampoo bars (a hairdresser told me that "normal" shampoos are too heavy on my dye damaged hair), and the difference is unreal. Much less flyaways, two days between washes easily with no greasiness and my hair feels softer and nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I tried this today after reading this thread. I was quite sceptical but decided I had nothing to lose by trying it. My hair is long and thick.

Well what a surprise, my hair dried much quicker than normal, is lovely and soft and has a lovely shine! I had no issues with knots and the fizziness remains much the same, or maybe ever so slightly less. I am very surprised! I will be trying this again for sure!

sillymoo wrote: »
    I tried this today after reading this thread. I was quite sceptical but decided I had nothing to lose by trying it. My hair is long and thick.

Well what a surprise, my hair dried much quicker than normal, is lovely and soft and has a lovely shine! I had no issues with knots and the fizziness remains much the same, or maybe ever so slightly less. I am very surprised! I will be trying this again for sure!

Yeah it seems so wrong at first! I won't be going back though, it's quicker too thanks to only needing one rinse.

Actually does anyone here use any really good hair masks? I've fine hair (but lots of it) that dries almost wavy but sorta fuzzy if I don't blast it with the hairdryer. Gets greasy quickly. Would love it if it was less fuzz prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Turtle_ wrote: »
    sillymoo wrote: »

Yeah it seems so wrong at first! I won't be going back though, it's quicker too thanks to only needing one rinse.

Actually does anyone here use any really good hair masks? I've fine hair (but lots of it) that dries almost wavy but sorta fuzzy if I don't blast it with the hairdryer. Gets greasy quickly. Would love it if it was less fuzz prone.

I condition first then shampoo every other week and it works well for my hair. I use the Pro Naturals hair repair mask, ingredients are: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hydroxyethylcellulose (HEC) thickening agent, Argania spinosa kernel oil (Argan Oil), Aqua. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you scrub your scalp when you condition/shampoo your hair? I've noticed that if I do this it does tend to get greasy quickly. Also when I condition my hair I concentrate on applying it mainly to the ends and up the hair shaft but I keep clear of my scalp. I hope this helps.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Despite being the OP I haven't done this in ages! I got a full-head of highlights a couple of months ago, so when I'm washing my hair it feels a lot dryer than it normally would. So I've chickened out of doing conditioning first. Must give it a try on a day where I've nothing planned so if it looks crap it's ok :D

Does anyone here with a lot of highlights/bleached hair use this method and find it good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Tried this for the first time this morning and my hair is like fuzz 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I tried this today and my hair is so much bigger than usual which is not a good thing. I have really thick hair and it's just made it thicker looking. I'm not sure if I will try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

KatW4 wrote: »
    I tried this today and my hair is so much bigger than usual which is not a good thing. I have really thick hair and it's just made it thicker looking. I'm not sure if I will try it again.

It's more aimed towards people with fine hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Despite being the OP I haven't done this in ages! I got a full-head of highlights a couple of months ago, so when I'm washing my hair it feels a lot dryer than it normally would. So I've chickened out of doing conditioning first. Must give it a try on a day where I've nothing planned so if it looks crap it's ok :D

Does anyone here with a lot of highlights/bleached hair use this method and find it good?

I have highlighted hair and have been using this technique for roughly 6 months and have love it. My hair would have been frizzy before but now it's softer but with volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

It's more aimed towards people with fine hair

I probably should have read a bit more about it. Thank you! :)

Advertisement