Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I never really come in here (don't think I've been here before?), but anyway as a complete sceptic with not many dealings with the paranormal I've figured that something isn't "right" in my house or I live in a specific location where gravity is acting a bit funny, which is highly doubtful.

As an engineer by degree I know how things should operate,land, act when in the air etc and for the past 2-3 years I've fobbed stuff off as accidental and purely down to chance, but to be honest it's becoming far too common now.

It started off when I moved in here and I dropped a lighter and it landed upright, no biggy but it was the first thing I remember. A few months later I drop my sky control and it lands stationary and upright, must be a 1 in a million chance of a sky control landing on its base like that but again no biggy but a bit freaked out. As years went on it just kept and keeps happening, drop a butter knife it will stand upright on its base, a bottle of coke same thing minimal bounce, candle stick lands upright and on and on. My friend thought I was going mad about 3 months ago until we were having a few drinks one night and he dropped a match, yep it lands upright. Drop my phone, lands upright. Drop a slice of buttered toast, no luck it lands buttered side down unfortunately.

This happens say once a week now where as it only happened once in a blue moon usually so I could happily ignore it before. Tonight I dropped a pen and it landed upright again so I said feck it and thought I'd come on here and share.

I am not a great believer in any of this supernatural stuff, but if these things are happening as often as you say, then why not contact the media about this and get them to come live with you for a few days to see if they can capture something?

How many times would you have to drop something to see it land and stand upright? Is it 10% of the time, 50% or 90%?

To be honest I do find your story hard to believe. A match standing upright? Sorry but not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ro2015

Yemowt wrote: »
    Any chance you know the name of it?

It was called something along the lines of sleep talk recorder or dream talk recorder. Had it on my last phone which was I Nokia. I don't think it's available on my iphone now tho!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am not a great believer in any of this supernatural stuff, but if these things are happening as often as you say, then why not contact the media about this and get them to come live with you for a few days to see if they can capture something?

How many times would you have to drop something to see it land and stand upright? Is it 10% of the time, 50% or 90%?

To be honest I do find your story hard to believe. A match standing upright? Sorry but not convinced.

Easily 0.2 percent of the time and or lower over the time ive lived here leaving it completely and utterly in co-incidence territory. I'm not asking you to believe in ghosts here and I'm certainly not at any stage of suggesting to get a few lads around to my house to drop things on my floor repeatedly and hope they land upright. The point is I wouldn't believe a match could stand upright, the surface area is far too small to hold the weight, though with a bounce removing the downward force and restricting the momentum it is possible though highly unlikely that a match would land on its base after a bounce, but it did.

I've never really had stuff land upright anywhere else in my life but they seem to be doing it more and more here. Might make a research topic for someone chasing a doctorate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Easily 0.2 percent of the time and or lower over the time ive lived here leaving it completely and utterly in co-incidence territory. I'm not asking you to believe in ghosts here and I'm certainly not at any stage of suggesting to get a few lads around to my house to drop things on my floor repeatedly and hope they land upright. The point is I wouldn't believe a match could stand upright, the surface area is far too small to hold the weight, though with a bounce removing the downward force and restricting the momentum it is possible though highly unlikely that a match would land on its base after a bounce, but it did.

I've never really had stuff land upright anywhere else in my life but they seem to be doing it more and more here. Might make a research topic for someone chasing a doctorate.

Maybe you just have a really, really, sticky floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I remember the original post about the sky the remote and loads of people saying yeah absolutely it's possible and I was going seriously that's pretty ****ed up. It reminds me of an episode of fact or faked I watched about the Oregon vortex. maybe some of the explanations that physicists have used to try to explain the Oregon vortex apply here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I never really come in here (don't think I've been here before?), but anyway as a complete sceptic with not many dealings with the paranormal I've figured that something isn't "right" in my house or I live in a specific location where gravity is acting a bit funny, which is highly doubtful.

As an engineer by degree I know how things should operate,land, act when in the air etc and for the past 2-3 years I've fobbed stuff off as accidental and purely down to chance, but to be honest it's becoming far too common now.

It started off when I moved in here and I dropped a lighter and it landed upright, no biggy but it was the first thing I remember. A few months later I drop my sky control and it lands stationary and upright, must be a 1 in a million chance of a sky control landing on its base like that but again no biggy but a bit freaked out. As years went on it just kept and keeps happening, drop a butter knife it will stand upright on its base, a bottle of coke same thing minimal bounce, candle stick lands upright and on and on. My friend thought I was going mad about 3 months ago until we were having a few drinks one night and he dropped a match, yep it lands upright. Drop my phone, lands upright. Drop a slice of buttered toast, no luck it lands buttered side down unfortunately.

This happens say once a week now where as it only happened once in a blue moon usually so I could happily ignore it before. Tonight I dropped a pen and it landed upright again so I said feck it and thought I'd come on here and share.

please try make a video of it, would be interesting to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 U5ername

Before age 30 I was of the opinion that I'm 'open minded' where ghosts are concerned. I'd never experienced anything, so didn't blindly believe despite knowing people with some strange stories.
    From the age of 30 (now 43) I've had a bunch of experiences involving what can only be ghosts. Funnily enough all since living with my Mrs. She'd had ghosts before too. She's gotta be the one attracting them...
    Anyway. Where to start?
    I've only once ever been frightened by one. I'll not be starting there. That story can come in a further post now I've found this. Instead I'll start with the first. In our first rented 'flat'. I've put flat in inverted commas because it was the top floor of an old (1888) mansion in Wales. This mansion was split down the middle to make 2 semis (million pound semis). The one we were in was owned by an 87 year old really rich woman that never spent a penny on it. It was a dive, but cheap and with a sea view.
    So, I digress (just painting the picture). Several strange things happened there that either one or both of us experienced:

I came in from work one evening, my Mrs asked "where did you go?"
    Work, where do you think? ... "No, just now" - Long story short she heard me come in a minute before I did. My coming home was the second time the door opened & shut.

Another evening I was sitting with my back to the hall space, doing a crossword. Behind me came "Thump thump thump" - heavy footsteps that I could feel through the old wooden floorboards. I thought "oooh, she's pissed at something, stomping like that", turned to my right to the living room she'd stomped into and said "what's up with you?"
    No answer ... So I shout "LISA!" - She shouts "What?" from the bath, the other end of the flat! Of course I jumped up, but there was nobody there.

One night I was in the bath. I hear a creak at the door. A floorboard, not the door. I look over and say "hello?" thinking she's pissing about. Then I saw movement - the shadow of feet in the gap under the door. I said "Lisa?" ... Nothing. Louder: "LISA?" ... "Yes?" came from the other end of the flat. As I sit bolt upright, the feet disappeared.

Then I started taking a bath with the door open. It pretty much happened again. I heard a creek, looked up and actually saw just the lower leg and foot of a man disappearing around (walking past) the door frame. That was the only time I can ever say I saw something.

I have many more instances, some from the same house / ghost, some from other places. That's a good start. for now.

I'll just say that we learned to live with that one. He was there before us and from some experiences it was obvious he was actually trying to get away / past us. We struck a deal with him. We simply said out loud that we'll all be okay with each other, just don't be in the bedroom at night. For the best part that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Ro2015 wrote: »
    It was called something along the lines of sleep talk recorder or dream talk recorder. Had it on my last phone which was I Nokia. I don't think it's available on my iphone now tho!

thanks for the reminder just recorded one free for nokia 530 called sleep recorder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

You saw feet. That's a good sign. It's when you don't see feet you should start to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

what I am about to say happened in medjigorie in bosnia. It takes about of religious belief in what I am about to say but here it goes. On one of the days in pilgrimage we were invited to a special apparition to Our Lady. (I was a bit skeptical at first). Only the visionaries can see her, anyways a few people in the crowd started screaming in pain as a demon was cast out of them.

It was pretty harrowing experience, I as a christian I always believed in that sort of thing but didn't think I would that close to a few demonically possessed people.

Anyways there was a girl in our youth 2000 group who seemed to be sensitive to the supernatural. I say this because she has seen two really creepy things while she was there. In the evening she say a big black german shepard looking back at her from the mountains barking, she also saw some figure in the kitchen at the guest house we were staying at.
    Apparently there is some witchcraft going on at the mountains despite in being considered sacred place.

Another one this story is more personal of mine. I suffer from sleep paralysis on occasion but this was one of my more notable encounters. When I was younger I'd often slept with my parents bedroom because of the nightmares I'd occassionally had. There were a set of wardrobes by the wall with one of them having a mirror on the outside. One time I woked up it must of been in the morning. There I saw a shadowy figure in front of the mirror watching me. It had no reflection, as I looked on it went backed through the mirror then started to fade and shrink in size.

I have seen the occasional shadow of out of the corner of my eyes as well. One time when walking past my living room Out the corner of my eye I saw a shadow person by the wall it then jumped up and disappeared through celling. Thing is by the time I got a proper look at it I could still see it.

Another encounter happened outside the ruins of the Galtee Castle near mitchelstownd during a primary school field trip. Near the walls I felt as though my stomach has been punched and felt kinda ill outside of the wall. I remember going back to school and looking at one of the photos by the wall one of them had an orb thing to right hand side. I think one of them may of had a figure I am not quiet sure and I don't have the picture on me to verify.

Some of the roads were built during the famine period around my town and you do still feel like your being watched sometimes.

Also one time I woked up sideways to see a figure, but this figure strangely resembled my brother who is still alive and well. It was slightly darker then he was in terms of shadows on his body. It turned its head then said "die" and attempted in a way it tried to suffocate me with a pillow but that and the pillow disappeared quickly. (I have no bad hate with any of my brothers we get along fine, my real brother was upstairs). This wasn't the last time as recently I had an outer body experience. In which I appeared to wake up, went through my door and was walking down the hallway towards the kitchen I turned away then saw the dark shadowy corner to see the same shadowy figure impersonating my brother again (he is much older then me).

Also I experienced sleep paralysis/some other figures as I woke up in my room. One time I woke up and saw my door open (which is strange because I normally close it nowadays). then my cat came in and jumped up only I knew it wasn't my cat then it hissed and fit then it disappeared. My cats were in their bed. I also sat up one morning sat up and looked outside window to see it strangely opened bright and sunday even though it was closed. I saw a figure impersonating my own mother being all nice. Deep down I knew it wasn't real so I just used "the really bad F word" as Mrs Doyle from father ted with say. After that particular word came "off". It then went into a speedy shouting and ran towards the the backroom door but then I woke up.

Another experienced happy to me when I was much younger. Back in my old home I had what was likely my first outer bodies experience (note my OBE's happen unintentially). Anyways I wake up and go to the kitchen only to see my mother and uncle talking I deemed everything normal then go back to my room only to see what appeared to be a snake on the ground that was red in colour and black spots. (I am not even afraid of snakes and here we don't get snakes). It was slithering as well before I woke up.

One of my other dreams that may of been ghost influenced, I was somewhere where I some red desert place (imagine fallout new vegas just with red sands firey hellish looking place instead). There was this long slimey snake/serpents that were essentially just blood red coloured slugs around me and crawing up all over me. I think that started off my fear of slugs. ( just wondering if certain dreams can be influenced by ghosts or some spirits).

I have also been to the charles fort of kinsale and saw just about nothing.

Another encounter which happened to my mother one time was back in our old home. I am not sure if I was born then but she was putting one of us to bed when she heared the three long loud knocks. Some time later she learned one of her grannies has passed away. It really frightened her it wasn't like any other knock. (supposively our family has been filled with tales of banshees, knocking, and random bird omen of death mainly robins).

By the way how come omens of death are always you know scary. Why can't they all be just like the robin that flies in and out that is more pleasant and kind then scaring the close ones.

If I go through all my encounters with ghosts then I be hear till next week till I finally post it and including other people I know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Padjooshea

Do people really believe that the paranormal does not exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Padjooshea wrote: »
    Do people really believe that the paranormal does not exist?

Mod: This thread is for sharing experiences of the paranormal, and it's a great thread at that. If you 'd like to start a new discussion on the existence of the paranormal feel free to, but this thread should be kept on topic. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyone hear of anything paranormal at the Maldron Hotel in smithfield Dublin??

was awoken by loud banging at 4am last week when i stayed there, it got louder and louder and suddenly stopped

was awoken by loud banging at 4am last week when i stayed there, it got louder and louder and suddenly stopped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

fryup wrote: »

Could it have been a bit later and been the hotels heating system coming on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yea it's most likely a heating/air condition system kicking in.

BigJackC wrote: »
    Could it have been a bit later and been the hotels heating system coming on?

definitely 4am and later that morning i noticed that one of the room lights was switched on too even though i switched them all off before going to bed

...maybe it was the central heating but when i told reception they said they had no complaints and never mentioned anything about central heating..so i don't know:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm still reading through this thread - its great.
    I've had no experiences myself but people close to me have.
    I'll keep the following brief.
    A friend of mine moved into a house on the main street of my hometown. Old enough house circa 1850s. She moved in with her friend.
    My friend was up studying one night in her room. She thought she heard her housemate coming in from work so went down to met her for tea and a chat.
    She got downstairs and no one was about.
    So she goes into the kitchen to put on the kettle. Every drawer and cabinet door was open. She was definitely the only one in the house and was in the kitchen only an hour before.
    She walked straight out of the house and waited outside for her housemate to return.
    They both slept in the sitting room that night.
    There's a bit more to this and I'll add it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Your Face wrote: »
    I'm still reading through this thread - its great.
    I've had no experiences myself but people close to me have.
    I'll keep the following brief.
    A friend of mine moved into a house on the main street of my hometown. Old enough house circa 1850s. She moved in with her friend.
    My friend was up studying one night in her room. She thought she heard her housemate coming in from work so went down to met her for tea and a chat.
    She got downstairs and no one was about.
    So she goes into the kitchen to put on the kettle. Every drawer and cabinet door was open. She was definitely the only one in the house and was in the kitchen only an hour before.
    She walked straight out of the house and waited outside for her housemate to return.
    They both slept in the sitting room that night.
    There's a bit more to this and I'll add it later on.

Tease :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

OK, the rest:
    The two girls in the house didn't really talk about what happened in the kitchen. My friend could tell her housemate was terrified. She told me however, that the stairs and the landing always felt as though someone was there.
    One morning her housemate tells her that she thinks something off with the stairs. She thought she heard name being called and another time that someone passed her on the stairs.
    Anyway, the two girls decided that they weren't going to put up with weird stuff. My friend knows a priest and she told him about the house. He seemed to know of the place and said that he would ask the Parish Priest if he would give permission to have the house blessed. Well permission was denied. No reason given.
    Strange things continued to happen, nothing crazy. The girls moved out when the lease was up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 sniperviper

I was reminded recently of an experience that happened to me a good few years ago when I was working in a church in Dublin. I had to change pipe work under the floor in this church in order to get to the pipework there is a door in the floor to the right hand side of the alter if you where standing with the alter in front of you that would be described as a trap door or cellar door.

When you lift the door up there's a small set of stairs that lead down under the floor the best way to describe the area under the floor is like a maze of passage ways. the passage ways are about 5 to 6 feet wide and are 7 foot in height so easy to walk around in. All the pipe work runs along the wall and runs up to the radiators and this is the pipe work that I was replacing.

As you can imagine the place was dark and full of dust and when the heating wasn't on it was cold and as i was working on the heating it was turned off so it was cold all the time i set up some lights and got to work the first few days I thought i saw some shadows moving around out of the corner of my eye but I put that down to my own shadow that was been cast by the lights I had put up. A few times I got the feeling of been watched as if somebody was looking at me from the end of the passage way where it turned a corner I thought or felt that somebody was just leaning around the corner and looking at me and once or twice I had to shine the light down just to satisfy myself that there was nobody there.

The first thing that happened to me while I was working away I heard a door open and close it sounded like the side door that was only 6 or 7 feet from the cellar door which was on the side of the church and led out into a small car park and I heard foot steps walking above where I was working heading towards the alter so I thought its not my boss he would of came down to me so must be a priest then I heard what sounded like pews been moved about been dragged or pushed now I had heard footsteps like that before and it was the priests going about there daily business so I didn't think to much of it and continued on working the moving and footsteps went on for about half an hour or so and then stopped.

About 20 minutes later my boss arrived I heard the door open and close and my boss walking to the trap door and shouting down to me to come up and get some stuff out of his van when I got up and looked around not one thing was out of place nothing was moved and I couldn't see any priest anywhere so I asked the boss did he see the priest which he replied "no" I must of had a look of utter disbelief on my face because the boss asked was I ok so I told him what id heard and he asked me did I hear the priest leave which I hadn't I said I thought id see him when I got up here or more than one priest as pews are not light.

That's when my boss told me that the door he came in was locked we had a key each and so did the priests so if a priest had of been in here I would of had to hear him leave but then I thought he must have left through the main door which was the fair end of the church and I must not of heard him that's the most obvious explanation or he was still in the church in one of the rooms in where they get ready for mass so I went and had a look and couldn't find anybody else in the church so I said he must of left through the main entrance so I went down there and pushed the doors and they where locked so I thought he had left through these and just locked them.

I had a bit of lunch and for the rest of the day the boss stayed with me working I went up to get some more pipe which was in the car park outside and I meet the priest walking into the church I said hello I wanted to ask him out straight had he been in the church earlier moving the pews about but I didn't want to sound like I was quizzing him or coming across as being mad so I just said to him "did I hear you in the church earlier on moving some pews around I was working under the floor I could of given you a hand to move them".
    To which he replied "no son that wasn't me i'm too old to be moving pews around and they haven't been moved in years most of them are screwed to the floor and you would need two or three to move them but thank you for the offer of help Ill keep that in mind God bless you".
    So I said "it must have been the other priests"
    To which he replied "no they have been in town all morning I'm meeting them here in an hour".
    So at this point I just said "I must have been hearing things so I better get back to work"
    I was in total shock and still to this day I haven't any idea who was walking around and moving pews.

I suppose it could have been one of the other priests i never got a chance to ask them but to the best of my knowledge they were not any where near the church at the time it happened and I had a key my boss had one and the priests nobody else had keys and we where told this by the priests when we arrived the first day to work and also told not to give them to anybody other than the priest that gave them to us when we where finished the job so nobody else could have gotten in as all the doors where locked.

That was one thing that happened the next'd thing that happened made me run out of the church and I wouldn't go back down without somebody else working with me but I think this post is long enough Ill put the other one up if people would like to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would guess there would be a logical explanation for it.

If it happens regularly, I am sure there will have been complaints made to management. If I was staying in a hotel and I was getting woken at 4am, I'd be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would like to hear it, sniperviper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Would love to read it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That was one thing that happened the next'd thing that happened made me run out of the church and I wouldn't go back down without somebody else working with me but I think this post is long enough Ill put the other one up if people would like to hear it.

Would love to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭baba_bear

Would love to hear the rest of your experience sniperviper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Please more about the church experience! !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Come on Sniper dont keep us in suspense.

Advertisement