Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre Macroom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Sorry its been a while since Ive replied to this thread I just had a few questions. I was told that in July of 2014 at the end of that month o the next month I would get Fibre. A year late in July of this year they said Fibre was available but it would be pretty much the exact same speeds of 15mbps. Now I just want to ask a few months later after its Finally available have you seen situations where people have been offered the same on Fibre as DSL? I've heard also that Vodafone are planning to bundle in TV and that there might be upgrades to the Fibre line in January but could be a lot later seeing as I had to wait 1 year in the first place to even get Fibre.
    Another ****ty and clever thing they did was the salesman at the door promised Fibre and I thought I was entitled to the free upgrade which I am but if I go for the free upgrade they said over the phone I have to recommit to another 18 month contract which seems ludicrous if you ask me. I am going to wait out the next few months then make a decision and see what other providers are offering and see has there been any upgrades on Fibre speed. Does anyone also know anything about the Macroom West & when that will be finished by?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're in the blackspot, close to the exchange but not close enough. If you wait 6-18 months that 15 may become 20 odd, that's the height of what you'll see for the next couple of years though.

ED E wrote: »
    You're in the blackspot, close to the exchange but not close enough. If you wait 6-18 months that 15 may become 20 odd, that's the height of what you'll see for the next couple of years though.

Oh boy you kidding me how big of an area does the black spot actually cover then. So your saying there is no hope at upgrades at all only to 20 seems really pathetic even though I know up the road someone is getting 70mbps plus which is crazy. Do you know if Virgin now that they are in Ireland will try put there own infrastructure into smaller towns like the one I live in? Also what is the news on this whole Siro thing I know the top 50 towns in Ireland are getting it in the next few months maybe longer and heard there will be a 2nd phase is that in the next 2 years or longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Between say 1200 and 2000m from the exchange itself. The person up the road has a cab between them and the exchange.

UPC/Virgin arent doing any expansions.

I was told earlier then people on the same estate as me have up to 50mbps where others like myself have 15mbps and some have less here doesn't make sense at all from what it sounds like and thats not the best idea, I mean if they want to compete surely they would want to try and expand and try and take competition from Eir but guess they are happy with 300k or so current customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    I was told earlier then people on the same estate as me have up to 50mbps where others like myself have 15mbps and some have less here doesn't make sense at all from what it sounds like and thats not the best idea, I mean if they want to compete surely they would want to try and expand and try and take competition from Eir but guess they are happy with 300k or so current customers.

UPC / Virgin have zero infrastructure in Macroom apart from the MMDS systems ( Not regulated for microwave broadband in this country - or not licensed for its use at least) they would not be allowed arrive in Macroom and tear up the roads as they were recently resurfaced .

Those in your same estate getting near 50 is simply the line run is shorter for them and longer for you . I moved to around 900 meters from the exchange and getting 55 down on the DF solution . I would stay as you are unless the upload is required as the contention will start to really improve in your area with others moving to fiber . For now you are goosed - I did see wisps errecting nodes up on the tower on the hill behind the school as fiber runs direct to that yoke. No idea who is offering it though .

What does MMDS system mean not sure what that is? I also think its not the best idea that UPC before them didn't at least try to put infrastructure in place into smaller towns and compete at least with Eircom but they haven't at all. I don't get why they didn't even try TV service. Why wouldn't they allowed to do that even if they covered the costs? Seems a big waste and massive opportunity.

That seems a big difference though that some of them are 50-100 metres away from me and getting double and triple plus speeds seems to make such a big difference then. And 55 isn't bad if I got that I would be more then happy I think a bare minimum should be around 30 for fibre any less seems pointless. Whats the DF solution as well? What is your upload seeing as you moved closer to exchange? And seems like it will be ****e for a long while. What are wisps and the only company I can think of is that Siro crowd with ESB perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What does MMDS system mean not sure what that is?
    Multipoint Microwave Distribution System (aka Wireless Cable). Also Multichannel Multipoint Distribution System/Service when the word microwave became associated with cooking stuff like food or people if they lived close enough to an MMDS transmitter site.

It's a wireless multichannel pay-TV retransmission system in the 2500-2690 MHz band operated by UPC since 1990 in non-cabled areas but being switched off by April next. It was used to feed homes directly and to feed small UPC cable systems. The spectrum is to be sold off to the mobile networks.

UPC did request Comreg to amend its MMDS licences to allow two-way (broadband access) services in the band back in 2007/08 following a successful trial in the 2300 MHz band but that didn't happen.

I don't get why they didn't even try TV service.

That seems a big difference though that some of them are 50-100 metres away from me and getting double and triple plus speeds seems to make such a big difference then.

And 55 isn't bad if I got that I would be more then happy I think a bare minimum should be around 30 for fibre any less seems pointless. Whats the DF solution as well?

What is your upload seeing as you moved closer to exchange?

And seems like it will be ****e for a long while. What are wisps and the only company I can think of is that Siro crowd with ESB perhaps?

Wisps , wireless internet service providers, I get 15 MB upload now , As per the Cush the MMDS system is what they use today to give the cable TV services to those with no cable connection. the 500 -100 meters there is a massive difference in evdsl drop offs the longer or further out the line you are .

Some parts of America have licensed the use of MMDS styled transmissions systems for broadband . Dont know why its never been accepted here possibly as cush suggestes they are afraid of having solid hard boiled inards.

dbit wrote: »
    Dont know why its never been accepted here possibly as cush suggestes they are afraid of having solid hard boiled inards.

By the time UPC requested the amendment to the licence EU regulatory harmonisation of the band was nearing completion. The regulations required each country to review the band's use by 2010 to ensure there its efficient and competitive use, also new technical conditions for its continued use.

Its future use will most likely be an LTE-A capacity band for the MNOs following its aution.

• Advertisement

Oh thanks you know your stuff about this seems very interesting. And are they selling it off because the system is redudant, or is it because there is new technology is available? You were saying they maybe sold off to a mobile network do you know the details on that? So UPC won't expand due to legal issues rather then cost issues?

The Cush wrote: »
    Multipoint Microwave Distribution System (aka Wireless Cable). Also Multichannel Multipoint Distribution System/Service when the word microwave became associated with cooking stuff like food or people if they lived close enough to an MMDS transmitter site.

It's a wireless multichannel pay-TV retransmission system in the 2500-2690 MHz band operated by UPC since 1990 in non-cabled areas but being switched off by April next. It was used to feed homes directly and to feed small UPC cable systems. The spectrum is to be sold off to the mobile networks.

UPC did request Comreg to amend its MMDS licences to allow two-way (broadband access) services in the band back in 2007/08 following a successful trial in the 2300 MHz band but that didn't happen.

Ah thanks for telling me what WISPS were I should know more about this seeing as I did a Networking degree but its a good few years ago. Upload is solid. I would be happy if I got at least 30mb down and 5mb up ideally 50-60mb down and 10-20mb up would be awesome. I didn't think that a few 100 metres makes such a difference but I guess it makes sense. If the MMDS styled transmissions were used over here like you said they are in America what kind of speeds are available through that system?
    Wisps , wireless internet service providers, I get 15 MB upload now , As per the Cush the MMDS system is what they use today to give the cable TV services to those with no cable connection. the 500 -100 meters there is a massive difference in evdsl drop offs the longer or further out the line you are .

Some parts of America have licensed the use of MMDS styled transmissions systems for broadband . Dont know why its never been accepted here possibly as cush suggestes they are afraid of having solid hard boiled inards.

So basically they didn't get the ducks in line in time then is that a huge mistake by them and could have made a lot of money if it had been sorted out? And LTE-A is that related with 4g I am not sure what MNO's are as well but thats for messaging in this thread :)

By the time UPC requested the amendment to the licence EU regulatory harmonisation of the band was nearing completion. The regulations required each country to review the band's use by 2010 to ensure there its efficient and competitive use, also new technical conditions for its continued use.

Its future use will most likely be an LTE-A capacity band for the MNOs following its aution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

BTW while we are discussing MMDS does anybody know if UPC will cease service in April, or will they continue to provide it in an adhoc manner until spectrum auctioned?

I think the lads were saying that it will Cease next year and be sold onto a possible mobile network not sure about the details though.
    jd wrote: »
    BTW while we are discussing MMDS does anybody know if UPC will cease service in April, or will they continue to provide it in an adhoc manner until spectrum auctioned?

jd wrote: »

The licences end on 18th April next and they've already started the process of switching off the transmitters (on a phased basis it appears) and this has been confirmed by UPC/VM here

The auction process for the 2.6GHz band hasn't started yet but whether they'll allow then to continue using it with some sort of licence extension until it's required is not known.

You seem to know your stuff very well. And what is so special about the 2.6Ghz band does it provide better bandwidth and you say an auction is this between the current major providers for broadband?
    The licences end on 18th April next and they've already started the process of switching off the transmitters (on a phased basis it appears) and this has been confirmed by UPC/VM here

The auction process for the 2.6GHz band hasn't started yet but whether they'll allow then to continue using it with some sort of licence extension until it's required is not known.

And are they selling it off because the system is redudant, or is it because there is new technology is available? You were saying they maybe sold off to a mobile network do you know the details on that? So UPC won't expand due to legal issues rather then cost issues?
    So basically they didn't get the ducks in line in time then is that a huge mistake by them and could have made a lot of money if it had been sorted out? And LTE-A is that related with 4g I am not sure what MNO's are as well but thats for messaging in this thread :)

By the time the band became harmonised in 2008, via an EC Decision, UPC had less than 100,000 direct to home subscribers and maybe a similar number on MMDS fed cable systems. That was a very small amount of subscribers using a large chunk of valuable spectrum, 190MHz. MMDS coverage was at most 70% of the country with the direct subscriber base peaking at about 118.000 in about 2006 after the merger of Chorus/ntl (UPC).

Of the 190MHz in the band, 46MHz wasn't available for MMDS and was left vacant which meant 18 x 8MHz channels were available for TV retransmission. Of these, each area had 9 channels (multiplexes) available using H and V polarisation (4 cell band plan) to avoid conflict with neighbouring transmitters. "Beambender" deflectors were used in cell to get around obstacles if required.

Digital MMDS was launched in the early 2000s using DVB-C (Chorus) and DVB-T (ntl) with the now inefficient MPEG-2 video encoding, this was not updated to MPEG-4. Only the ntl DVB-T areas had a PVR option.

Basically up to 2008 MMDS was ignored by UPC and only when their minds were focused with the new regulation and the then looming expiry date of the licences (April 2014) did they attempt to redefine the use of the band. The EU require efficient and competitive use of any spectrum but this wasn't the case with MMDS.

The review began in 2010 with a final decision on the future of the band announced in 2013.

The auction process for the 2.6GHz band hasn't started yet but when it does happen it'll most likely be won by the MNOs (Mobile Network Operators) and used as a capacity band by them for 4G LTE-A carrier aggregation (simultaneous contiguous/non-contiguous carriers to increase bandwidth/bitrate). The 2.6GHz band is used elsewhere for this purpose.

Vodafone is the only MNO that uses carrier aggregation here that I know of for their 4G+ product. Not sure which bands they actually use. The 700/800 MHz bands are referred to as coverage band with the 1800/2100 MHz bands the capacity bands. The 700MHz and 2600MHz bands set to join them in due course.

And what is so special about the 2.6Ghz band does it provide better bandwidth and you say an auction is this between the current major providers for broadband?

There is nothing particularly special about the band other than it's going to become available soon and available spectrum is scare. Because of the frequency and density of transmitters required it'll most likely be deployed in urban areas where demand for capacity is greatest.

So it doesn't allow extra bandwidth or extra features then? So its something the smaller towns won't see this for a long time.
    There is nothing particularly special about the band other than it's going to become available soon and available spectrum is scare. Because of the frequency and density of transmitters required it'll most likely be deployed in urban areas where demand for capacity is greatest.

• Advertisement

You really know your stuff and seemed to have researched all this. Did you do a degree in Networking at all if not you should or this stuff should be your job :). So from what I gathered from this post they started with a smallish number and seemed content not to update there systems until they were kind of forced by the EU and change a few things up or did I misread this? I understood some of the technical terms you said but not all of them.
    If they were not pushed until a few years ago where it appears to be too late to expand seems like such a waste and missed opportunity. I wish that Ireland had put more money into Infrastructure and really developed and became a leader in the EU and maybe even the world. It only seems like now the past 2-3 years they are starting to catch up whilst others are planning bigger and better things. I hope Irelands change continues to happen.
    By the time the band became harmonised in 2008, via an EC Decision, UPC had less than 100,000 direct to home subscribers and maybe a similar number on MMDS fed cable systems. That was a very small amount of subscribers using a large chunk of valuable spectrum, 190MHz. MMDS coverage was at most 70% of the country with the direct subscriber base peaking at about 118.000 in about 2006 after the merger of Chorus/ntl (UPC).

Of the 190MHz in the band, 46MHz wasn't available for MMDS and was left vacant which meant 18 x 8MHz channels were available for TV retransmission. Of these, each area had 9 channels (multiplexes) available using H and V polarisation (4 cell band plan) to avoid conflict with neighbouring transmitters. "Beambender" deflectors were used in cell to get around obstacles if required.

Digital MMDS was launched in the early 2000s using DVB-C (Chorus) and DVB-T (ntl) with the now inefficient MPEG-2 video encoding, this was not updated to MPEG-4. Only the ntl DVB-T areas had a PVR option.

Basically up to 2008 MMDS was ignored by UPC and only when their minds were focused with the new regulation and the then looming expiry date of the licences (April 2014) did they attempt to redefine the use of the band. The EU require efficient and competitive use of any spectrum but this wasn't the case with MMDS.

The review began in 2010 with a final decision on the future of the band announced in 2013.

The auction process for the 2.6GHz band hasn't started yet but when it does happen it'll most likely be won by the MNOs (Mobile Network Operators) and used as a capacity band by them for 4G LTE-A carrier aggregation (simultaneous contiguous/non-contiguous carriers to increase bandwidth/bitrate). The 2.6GHz band is used elsewhere for this purpose.

Vodafone is the only MNO that uses carrier aggregation here that I know of for their 4G+ product. Not sure which bands they actually use. The 700/800 MHz bands are referred to as coverage band with the 1800/2100 MHz bands the capacity bands. The 700MHz and 2600MHz bands set to join them in due course.

So it doesn't allow extra bandwidth or extra features then? So its something the smaller towns won't see this for a long time.

The higher data capacity offered by the band may not be required for less densely populated areas, all the MNOs have capacity in the other bands.

You really know your stuff and seemed to have researched all this. Did you do a degree in Networking at all if not you should or this stuff should be your job :).

Nothing like that, I've followed the rollout of MMDS since Ray Burke announced it at a Fianna Fáil Ard-Fheis back in Feb 1988. Exciting news when you lived in 2 channel land at the time.
    So from what I gathered from this post they started with a smallish number and seemed content not to update there systems until they were kind of forced by the EU and change a few things up or did I misread this?

MMDS has had a long/short(?) painful history since the idea was first put forward in the early 1980s, way too much to get into here.
    Basically MMDS started as an analogue service with 11/12 channels incl. TV3 but not the RTÉs in 1990. About 10 years later the system converted over to digital and that continues to this day. Planning difficulties in the early days, similar to today's mobile mast issues, slowed or halted the rollout in many areas. That and the availability of multichannel TV via Sky and Freesat has seen the service decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

What does MMDS system mean not sure what that is? I also think its not the best idea that UPC before them didn't at least try to put infrastructure in place into smaller towns and compete at least with Eircom but they haven't at all. I don't get why they didn't even try TV service. Why wouldn't they allowed to do that even if they covered the costs? Seems a big waste and massive opportunity.

That seems a big difference though that some of them are 50-100 metres away from me and getting double and triple plus speeds seems to make such a big difference then. And 55 isn't bad if I got that I would be more then happy I think a bare minimum should be around 30 for fibre any less seems pointless. Whats the DF solution as well? What is your upload seeing as you moved closer to exchange? And seems like it will be ****e for a long while. What are wisps and the only company I can think of is that Siro crowd with ESB perhaps?

Jesus Christ man. I read all of this thread and you are constantly complaining about not getting high enough speeds at 30meg. There's nothing that can be done. Anything over 25mbps is fibre. I have 100mbps and I can hardly tell the difference most days. You only download at I believe 1/8 of the megabit speed you have anyway. If you want to get some better speeds over wifi try picking up a dual band router, the ones they supply are rubbish. Remember: some people can't even get broadband.

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ man. I read all of this thread and you are constantly complaining about not getting high enough speeds at 30meg. There's nothing that can be done. Anything over 25mbps is fibre. I have 100mbps and I can hardly tell the difference most days. You only download at I believe 1/8 of the megabit speed you have anyway. If you want to get some better speeds over wifi try picking up a dual band router, the ones they supply are rubbish. Remember: some people can't even get broadband.

Well I am complaining on Vodafone lying to me with a sales man who came and said a year and a half ago nearly that Fibre would be available in the space of a month and it only became available there back in July with the exact same speeds of 15mbps. I said I would at bare minimum be happy with 30mbps which would only be double what I get at the very best atm.
    And I've called Vodafone on the phone countless times asking when will Fibre be available, a lot of the lads here who know a lot more about the infrastructure have been very helpful and got a great insight on how things were moving a long the past year or so. I don't even get 25mbps but Vodafone claim that 15mbps is sufficient Fibre which I defo don't agree with.
    And I don't know the specs on my router. I usually get between 10-15mbps regardless if its over wifi or Ethernet cable. I know the max I can get is 15mbps I don't even think getting a dual band router will make any difference at all tbh. I am just saying we live in 2015 and 15mbps I would consider that very average but I could be wrong on the national average for Ireland.
    I understand there are people who can't get any broadband but what does that say about the state of affairs and the money from the boom was not put into improving all this like 8-10 years ago. Its only now the past few years money is pumped in and things are finally changing and getting better. But it will probably take several years for the country to get a good coverage of broadband to 99% of the country.

Smell the Ban hammer and its wake of freshly crushed nuts teee heee.

Smell the Ban hammer and its wake of freshly crushed nuts teee heee.

Are you referring to me dbit and if so why would I be banned?

Nope look at the response GrayFox208 gave and look at username status .......... crushed nuts meeooow !.

Nope look at the response GrayFox208 gave and look at username status .......... crushed nuts meeooow !.

Yes I have noticed his account has been closed silly me :)

• Advertisement

Any updates on this its been a while, have there been any plans to upgrade the lines in the new year. I finally caved in and said flip it I was out of contract with Vodafone next month but decided to upgrade to the exact same line for fibre 15mbps but the upload will be about 4 times better up to 3mbps which is decent. I like Vodafone in terms of calls and stuff but their customer service routing all the numbers to Cairo where half the lads can't speak English is not great. I will be getting the fibre for €25 for the first 3 months and it is is a free upgrade which is some consolation I guess.

Advertisement