Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options

Comments

Links234 wrote: »
    #KillAllWomen has been going for a while, very little outrage and nobody being arrested over it, oddly enough.

I never even heard of that! Interesting how it's not a big thing.

Probably because we're not all talking online about how it's a hate crime and there'd be enormous outrage if the genders were reversed...oh! Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Candie wrote: »
    Sometimes, I could kiss your posts. You're great with the common sense and the perspective and all the stuff we're seeing too rarely online lately.

She's a half wit who's being given a moment in the sun with all this attention. I'm delighted she's getting (at least) a fright with the cops, and hopefully it'll make other drama llamas think twice before they publish hyperbolic calls to extinguish people - meant ironically or not - online.

Do I think she really is calling for all white men to be murdered? Of course not. She's just a self-important dope who believes her opinion trumps everyone elses experience. Much like a large number of AH posters.

Neither do I, That's not the point. it mentions Race. I would wager that's what actually is being brought up in Court. Not sure if it's the threat of kill which most would see as a stupid comment.

Candie wrote: »
    I never even heard of that! Interesting how it's not a big thing.

Probably because we're not all talking online about how it's a hate crime and there'd be enormous outrage if the genders were reversed...oh! Oops.

Did it mention Race no....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'm disappointed in your posts in this thread, Links.

Sorry you're disappointed, but I don't believe for a second that she was seriously calling for all white men to be killed, and therefor shouldn't be charged with a crime for it. Do I think she's an idiot? Sure. But this isn't a serious threat, or a serious incitement to violence. It's a stupid ****ing hashtag and people shouldn't be arrested for stupid hashtags, no matter how stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Does that fall under what this person is being charged with ?

You're dodging the question. One has a television series called "Fifty Ways to kill your Mammy" and the other tweeted the silly, childish hashtag "#KillAllWhiteMen". Matricide is definitely more serious than a bit of casual racism or sexism. Obviously neither should be charged, and anyone who thinks otherwise is very literal-minded and a bit fucking silly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

actually it's about ethics in killing all white men

#KillAllWomen has been going for a while, very little outrage and nobody being arrested over it, oddly enough.

So some are outraged, And does not mention race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

If the hashtag was #killall(insert ethnic/religious group or women) then the offender would have been in court (and jail) yesterday. Just because no-one is likely to be upset by it, including myself, a white male, doesn't matter. Its the principle of the matter, either all groups are protected or none are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Obviously, there are freedom of speech issues here, but what do you think? Should she be summonsed to court?

I'd say nah. But I'd also say that of someone starting a #KillAllBlacks or #KillAllShemales twitter dealy.

I'm quite fond of these wackos unzipping their heads, pulling their nuttery out and waving it around in public yelling "everyone look at me, I'm a simpleton". Best thing if they identify themselves as what they are, and preferably as publicly as possible. Then people can either roll their eyes and giggle at their pathetic little attention starved hoppity dance, or if you're really really bored, pull them up on their crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think people are missing the bigger picture. This in isolation is not that big a deal but it's part of a worrying trend where men are now fair game. As a woman I'm well used to casual sexism, incidents that on their own are minor but which collectively can damage your psyche over time. We are finally moving away from that, I'd hate to see it replaced with digs at men that go unchallenged.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    You're dodging the question. One has a television series called "Fifty Ways to kill your Mammy" and the other tweeted the silly, childish hashtag "#KillAllWhiteMen". Matricide is definitely more serious than a bit of casual racism or sexism. Obviously neither should be charged, and anyone who thinks otherwise is very literal-minded and a bit fucking silly.

This is about comments on Social media, I would wager that program has to follow strict guidelines for broadcasting so will already have been vetted and assessed legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I wouldn't lock her up for the reason that once a government starts regularly jailing people for thought crime we are on a slippery slope. I'd be of the "ignore her and she will go away" school of thought.

Having said that, her university needs to act. There is absolutely no way she should be allowed to continue as a welfare and diversity officer with an insane attitude like that no matter how irrelevant the position. There are grounds for expulsion here. Her activities have been blatantly racist and sexist. Let's face it, had a white boy been circulating kill all blacks/gays/women/whatever hashtags and excluding people from events on the basis of skin colour his academic life would have ended long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Did it mention Race no....

:pac:

Yeah, I dunno if that's more egalitarian or just more bigoted.

Either way, every time I see the intellectual sewage leaking out of Twitter into popular culture, the prouder I am that I have no Twitter account and follow zero people on it. It seems to be the place where #commonsensegoestodie

#KillAllBlackWomen is also a thing, but nobody's been arrested over it. I'm just looking these up on twitter, #KillAllJews and #KillAllGays are also seemingly ok, no arrests over those as of yet.

That surprises me but it might be the context. This woman was organising an event to which she had banned men. Maybe it was the fact she was taking it to a further stage.

#KillAllBlackWomen is also a thing, but nobody's been arrested over it. I'm just looking these up on twitter, #KillAllJews and #KillAllGays are also seemingly ok, no arrests over those as of yet.

Sure that makes it ok then..... despicable comments to be fair. But then again probably in countries with protected Freedom of speech. unfortunately the UK has Hate Crime legislation for it's citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Very Bored wrote: »
    That surprises me but it might be the context. This woman was organising an event to which she had banned men. Maybe it was the fact she was taking it to a further stage.

Hows she ever going to kill all white men with that kind of logic? Shes clearly a buffoon

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't believe I've ever asked for someone to be arrested and charged over something they've said on AH.

Never said you did. I wasn't speaking about AH.
    Sorry you're disappointed, but I don't believe for a second that she was seriously calling for all white men to be killed, and therefor shouldn't be charged with a crime for it. Do I think she's an idiot? Sure. But this isn't a serious threat, or a serious incitement to violence. It's a stupid ****ing hashtag and people shouldn't be arrested for stupid hashtags, no matter how stupid.

That's weird, because only the other day, on the back of this report regarding abuse being directed at women online and the insinuation being made that something must be done to stop it, you wrote:
    One might think that if a person's ability to communicate is hampered by not allowing them to send people threats, they might need to find a better way to communicate.

Isn't that interesting. You appear to endorse action being taken to stop the abuse of women online.

Men, not so much.

This was the event that caused the hubbub in the first place, I doubt she was taking anything further, just saying something stupid in response to criticism she got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

It's been revealed that she has worms.

It's unfolding on Sky now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

But she represents her college as a diversity officer that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

DeadHand wrote: »
    I wouldn't lock her up for the reason that once a government starts regularly jailing people for thought crime we are on a slippery slope. I'd be of the "ignore her and she will go away" school of thought.

Having said that, her university needs to act. There is absolutely no way she should be allowed to continue as a welfare and diversity officer with an insane attitude like that no matter how irrelevant the position. There is grounds for expulsion here. Her activities have been blatantly racist and sexist. Let's face it, had a white boy been circulating kill all blacks/gays/women/whatever hashtags and excluding people from events on the basis of skin colour his academic life would have ended long ago.

Yup, the best defence she can mount is that she was just blatantly trolling for a reaction #sorrynotsorry #banter and tbh, none of that indicates she is in any way qualified to hold the role she holds (and I would hold the welfare and diversity officer in a student union to be bottom of the ladder).

I don't agree that any random white man posting similar ****e would have been put in court. As pointed out, some of the bile the pours out of "the internet" is posted by white men and it by and large goes unpunished. Women and minorities in general (including white men in some communities) are expected to man the **** up or **** off. So is she simply a product of an online environment where she expects people to man the **** up or **** off? That could fly in an online/anonymous environment. But she publicly trolled for a reaction as a public figure, and the law reacted - she has to be tried if the social contract regarding equality for all is to be observed.

Again, I would champion free speech - people who call for people to be bullied, attacked or convicted and imprisoned on the basis of them being small minded dicks on the internet need to think about the sort of world they are trying to create. I presume this woman in particular would have been a big fan of tracing and imprisoning anyone guilty of bigoted comments on the internet prior to her own brush with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

It's been revealed that she has worms.

It's unfolding on Sky now

As happy as a tape worm in a raw shepherds pie as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The masks slip as the ladies doth protest too much.

buried wrote: »
    Hows she ever going to kill all white men with that kind of logic? Shes clearly a buffoon

Its not the point though. She's a buffoon, true, but she could well be a dangerous buffoon. If she was to attack (or worse) one single white man and the courts hadn't done anything then everybody would be asking why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This is about comments on Social media, I would wager that program has to follow strict guidelines for broadcasting so will already have been vetted and assessed legally.

I'd wager that she doesn't really believe all white men should be killed, any more than Paul Chambers really intended to commit an act of terrorism against Robin Hood Airport when his flight was cancelled.

Isn't that interesting.

It would be interesting if the hashtag in question was a serious threat, which it's not, so it's not an apt comparison.

The report in question was an absolute cluster**** of stupidity, and probably set back a lot of serious issues by a few years because of how much of an idiotic mess it was, just so we're clear on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Its not the point though. She's a buffoon, true, but she could well be a dangerous buffoon. If she was to attack (or worse) one single white man and the courts hadn't done anything then everybody would be asking why.

Yeah, fair enough. Just seems to me she's just copying that other attention seeking, bitter, hateful moaner in England's media, the blonde buffoon whinger. Can't remember her name. You all know who I mean

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

RayM wrote: »
    I'd wager that she doesn't really believe all white men should be killed, any more than Paul Chambers really intended to commit an act of terrorism against Robin Hood Airport when his flight was cancelled.

Was Paul Chambers an anti-terrorism campaigner? He would need to be for this to be comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Before you feel too sorry for her:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQiwpvPWwAEHsnx.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQiwqlXWEAAXWch.jpg

But should she go to prison? No

Advertisement