Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 confirmed dead so far in Oregon college shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Strider wrote: »
    The point I was making was that the sky has not fallen in as a result.

yes , which is the focus of my responses, why does US society seem to generate so many nut-jobs that target children in schools

You care enough to reply to every suggestion of change without offering any of your own.

America doesn't have any more nut jobs than anywhere else in the world.

You care enough to reply to every suggestion of change without offering any of your own.

do we have statistics on that

I have offered several suggestions

armed police in the schools , just like europe have in airports and now on planes and trains

after that I dont know, what will make any effective difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

BoatMad wrote: »

the issue is the person not the ironmongery

Lol completely wrong.

Your chances of killing those 10 extra people with a bolt load rifle are going to be significantly lower than if you stroll in with a tec-9/couple of pistols.

Put yourself in the victims shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

i dont , I merely wonder why the US seems to spawn so many nut-jobs that target children, Ive lived there and I still ponder whats going on

Sick society creates a % of sick individuals and high % of sick individuals can get a gun if they want to with next to no fuss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

armed police in the schools , just like europe have in airports and now on planes and trains

Shooters would then end up going somewhere else that does not have any armed security. For this to work you would need armed guards pretty much everywhere. It is a difficult one to answer but before any effective measures can be taken, changes in attitude are needed. I don't hold out much hope for that happening any time soon though.

Lol completely wrong.

Your chances of killing those 10 extra people with a bolt load rifle are going to be significantly lower than if you stroll in with a tec-9/couple of pistols.

Put yourself in the victims shoes.

This is where the argument gets derailed into a technical cull-de-sac and is used by both pro- and anti gun debaters

Yes its true, certain firearms convey advantages , handguns are concealable and light , and capable of being used in confined spaces. None of these are " advantages " in school shootings

But the fact is a man , with the will and determination, to do so, will inflict terrible carnage simply with a deer rifle and a 5 bullet clip with a half dozen clips in a belt in reserve. He can discharge 20 rounds a minute . Is your argument , oh well , he went into the school with a .22 and only killed three and wounded 15 thats OK then !!!!!!

Surely this is not an issue about " how many get killed", so you ban certain firearms and the next school shooting " only " kills ten kids instead of 15 or 20 !!!

Thats a nonsense debate , what you have to prevent is ANY nut job with ANY firearm ( or weapon ) walking into a school

mzungu wrote: »
    Shooters would then end up going somewhere else that does not have any armed security. For this to work you would need armed guards pretty much everywhere. It is a difficult one to answer but before any effective measures can be taken, changes in attitude are needed. I don't hold out much hope for that happening any time soon though.

what changes in attitude would you suggest need to change that would be effective in preventing a nut-job killing innocents in a local school

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How about changing gun laws to reflect what gun laws are like in most other developed countries which have far fewer gun-related deaths, ranging from single/multiple/mass shootings?

This isn't rocket science. This isn't a "Well, we don't know what the answer is". We know what the answer is, because it's the same answer that applies to almost every other developed country. Install stricter gun laws = Reduce gun deaths. That's the answer.

The only problem is that to do that, you have to take guns away from people. Some of those people are crazy. Which means some of those crazy people are crazy people with guns. Add to that lobby groups like the NRA and gun-loving politicians, and what you end up with is an easy answer but no way to implement it, and no political group who'll have the balls to do it.

And so the Circle of Life Death will keep on spinning. Because having a gun is a right, and for some reason that's more important than stopping people from dying.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    How about changing gun laws to reflect what gun laws are like in most other developed countries which have far fewer gun-related deaths, ranging from single/multiple/mass shootings?

This isn't rocket science. This isn't a "Well, we don't know what the answer is". We know what the answer is, because it's the same answer that applies to almost every other developed country. Install stricter gun laws = Reduce gun deaths. That's the answer.

The only problem is that to do that, you have to take guns away from people. Some of those people are crazy. Which means some of those crazy people are crazy people with guns. Add to that lobby groups like the NRA and gun-loving politicians, and what you end up with is an easy answer but no way to implement it, and no political group who'll have the balls to do it.

And so the Circle of Life Death will keep on spinning. Because having a gun is a right, and for some reason that's more important than stopping people from dying.

thats simply doesnt stand up to any argument with some logic in it

Firstly virtually ALL reasonable societies that pretend to be liberal, allow the ownership of firearms, So now the debate descends into " firearm technicalities"

Many European and even Ireland allow the legal ownership of high powered firearms, yet Europe as a whole, does not , even though it has a bigger population, find itself with lots of school shootings ( but of course we have lots of madmen shooting up trains, shops, etc)

to delve into the kernel of your argument
    " Install stricter gun laws = Reduce gun deaths. "

yes but that may stop " mom and pop shootings" , but it wont stop white on black, or police race shootings and most of all " nut-job" shootings

To be specific in the USA, unless you are prepared to change the constitution, then gun law change will have little or no effect, sure you might make it difficult for Mrs Miggens in Apartment 4B to own a Glock. But you will clearly not make it impossible for Mr " Nut-Job" to acquire sufficient lethality to carry out his particular horror .

By all means tinker with the legislation , ban big magazines, ban assault rifles ( all these are already in place in certain states) , but it will not stop school shootings by nut-jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Yes its true, certain firearms convey advantages , handguns are concealable and light , and capable of being used in confined spaces. None of these are " advantages " in school shootings

But the fact is a man , with the will and determination, to do so, will inflict terrible carnage simply with a deer rifle and a 5 bullet clip with a half dozen clips in a belt in reserve. He can discharge 20 rounds a minute . Is your argument , oh well , he went into the school with a .22 and only killed three and wounded 15 thats OK then !!!!!!

Surely this is not an issue about " how many get killed", so you ban certain firearms and the next school shooting " only " kills ten kids instead of 15 or 20 !!!

Thats a nonsense debate , what you have to prevent is ANY nut job with ANY firearm ( or weapon ) walking into a school

And heres how you do it - outlaw small rapid fire weapons. Cause its kind of hard to walk into that school with that deer rifle.
    How anyone can say that certain weapon types availability wouldnt be advantageous in a school shooting is laughable.

Again ill ask you to put yourself in the victims shoes, youre at your desk, in walks a nut ready to do some shooting.

Of all possibilities what realistic production line standard, readily purcaseable firearm would you prefer he have, considering your very life is on the line at that moment. Your choice.

Is that firearm sufficient for hunting local game, disposing of animals, killing a burglar and all the necessary legit daily uses.

If your first answer lines up with the condition then thats a sufficient firearm for all society.

(special exceptional cases can be accommodated - one arm/wheelchair bound/bear in back yard etc - fill out this application)

All fancy toys with hundred round drums and ir scopes and go faster stripes can be held by regulated ranges where you can play rambo all day long.
    Everyone wins.

... Except the whack job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

It's getting people their 15 minutes of fame.

School lock down drills will now normalise school shootings and in the next generations you will see more and more of them because the population is growing callous as a result of this normalisation.

It creates an immunity to violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Overheal wrote: »
    plot twist: when was the last time anywhere there was a female perp in a mass shooting?
    Brenda Spencer fired 30 rounds with a semiautomatic rifle at a San Diego elementary schoolyard on January 29, 1979.

Technically she was the first modern school shooter...

The Boomtown Rats hit 'I Don't Like Mondays' was inspired by the incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

but it wont stop white on black, or police race shootings and most of all " nut-job" shootings

but it will not stop school shootings by nut-jobs

You keep saying that regulation won't have any effect, but it isn't fact. Giving examples of killings in countries with more regulation doesn't prove it.

Ive already pointed out that your argument is a fallacy: Regulation of guns didn't stop these mass killings, therefore regulation of guns cannot have any effect on stopping mass killings.

osarusan wrote: »
    You keep saying that regulation won't have any effect, but it isn't fact. Giving examples of killings in countries with more regulation doesn't prove it.

Ive already pointed out that your argument is a fallacy: Regulation of guns didn't stop these mass killings, therefore regulation of guns cannot have any effect on stopping mass killings.

Nope thats not what I am saying , Im saying regulation of firearms, "may" change the nature of ( or a degree of lethality associated with ) school killings , but it will not in my estimation change the fact that they occur.

You have to ask your self , why Europe , with broadly similar populations does not have the frequency of nutters walking into schools and killing kids. Yet there is plenty of high powered firearms in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Nope thats not what I am saying , Im saying regulation of firearms, "may" change the nature of ( or a degree of lethality associated with ) school killings , but it will not in my estimation change the fact that they occur.

You have to ask your self , why Europe , with broadly similar populations does not have the frequency of nutters walking into schools and killing kids. Yet there is plenty of high powered firearms in Europe

Lone cowboy archetype is strong in the US.

The only European counterpart I can think of of hand is Mersault from. The stranger but that alienation is not mythologised into a heroic model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Europe is a big place. Where exactly in Europe are you talking about? Do you know what is required to obtain high powered weaponry in the countries you refer to?

You said regulation would not be effective - If you are saying that it would in fact make school shootings potentially less lethal (say, only 2, or 5 dead instead of 10), then I would call that effective.

Something doesn't have to tackle the root cause to be effective in limiting the damage cause by that root cause.

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Lone cowboy archetype is strong in the US.

The only European counterpart I can think of of hand is Mersault from. The stranger but that alienation is not mythologised into a heroic model.

yes and that can explain the fact that ordinary people in the US tend settle disputes themselves without recourse to the police, having a firearm makes this lethal in many cases. Its why for example burglaries are low in the US and knife crime much higher in the UK. Its also an argument for handgun restrictions in my view

But the lone cowboy archetype cant in any way be extended to encompass mass killings of school kids. Thats clearly in a mental dis-order category

• Advertisement

You said regulation would not be effective - If you are saying that it would in fact make school shootings potentially less lethal (say, only 2, or 5 dead instead of 10), then I would call that effective.

Something doesn't have to tackle the root cause to be effective in limiting the damage cause by that root cause.

shooting the nut-job dead on the steps of the school, before he can use his , less then 100% effective , restricted license firearm, is what i call 100% effective

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You can ask that question but the obvious answer is that Europe lacks the obsession with gun culture that America has become famous for. I can bet if several gun massacres happen in a year in a European country there would be reasoned debate about gun control.

America post shooting seems to be more afraid of gun regulation than another shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭HeathenWolf

The mainstream media outlets here in the north are more focused on the fact he had IRA stuff on his MySpace profile. He had photos of Kim Kardashian on there too so I'm blaming her for causing it.

shooting the nut-job dead on the steps of the school, before he can use his , less then 100% effective , restricted license firearm, is what i call 100% effective

Do you think that reducing the number of deaths by say 50% is effective or not?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You can ask that question but the obvious answer is that Europe lacks the obsession with gun culture that America has become famous for. I can bet if several gun massacres happen in a year in a European country there would be reasoned debate about gun control.

I dont think a gun culture exists in the US, having lived there. what exists is an incredible sense that you both defend yourself and sort your problems yourself. That stems from the frontiers based development that occurred in the US. That is not disappearing any time soon and is a defining difference between US and European cultures . we tend to name this a " can do attitude " and it has negative and positive aspects . Guns feed into this perspective. the majority of people you meet ( as in a white middle class urban person) in the US are not gun-nuts or mention guns or even have guns

America post shooting seems to be more afraid of gun regulation than another shooting.

no I dont agree, firstly there are constitutional issues that most be overcome and the constitution has huge support ,mechanisms to change it are incredibly difficult requiring essentially support from 38 state legislatures

remember all the freedoms the gun lobby has won have been achieved at the hands of the court , none were legislated into being ", SCOTUS only actually verified that right to bear arms included personal defence relatively recently , the same is true for carry and concealed carry laws, and the removal of handgun bans. many states had very restrictive gun laws, that were overturned by court action ( Connecticut and new york for example )

Hence there are significant issues in bringing in an restrictive gun regulations that will survive court challenge.

Do you think that reducing the number of deaths by say 50% is effective or not?

shooting the nut-job dead is more effective. personally thats my solution. as an engineer I like to maximise the effectiveness of a solution :D

shooting the nut-job dead is more effective. personally thats my solution. as an engineer I like to maximise the effectiveness of a solution :D

So it turns out you won't even answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/016/379/1409873479189.gif

The whole point of 4chan is to be anonymous. You'll never "catch" anyone who posted anything on it.

Also 4chan links are only live for a short amount of time. If the link to an image/whatever goes dead then the thread is gone.

I'm pretty sure the creator of 4chan has helped police in tracking those who peddle child porn and such through the site, so it's not impossible to catch people who use the site for illegal activities. That said, I don't think there's much likelihood of anyone who encouraged him getting done for accessory to murder since they can easily argue that they thought it was a morbid joke and didn't believe he'd actually go through with it. How can you really prove that people on the internet who were strangers to this guy did what they did knowing that he would actually go through with it?

So it turns out you won't even answer the question.

no because you cannot actually offer up thats is 50% or 30% or any-percent so I wont dignify it with an answer. ( thats the gun technicalities debate in another form)

I'm looking at solutions that stop all kids being targeted by nut-jobs in a classroom

You are suggesting " length of string" debates to simply place me in a certain box that suits your debate

I dont believe that short of an almost total ban on all firearms and a virtual war to remove illegal held and acquired firearms , that tinkering with US gun laws would make any significant difference

Tinker away all you like, however, Im not debating lengths of string as I have no data to do so.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Squeeonline View Post
    http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...9873479189.gif

The whole point of 4chan is to be anonymous. You'll never "catch" anyone who posted anything on it.

Also 4chan links are only live for a short amount of time. If the link to an image/whatever goes dead then the thread is gone.

Nothing but nothing on a IP network is anonymous, its just the amount of time needed to track down the sender can be considerable

Advertisement