Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just finished Civil War, I'm reading this stuff too fast!

Brilliant read, cover to cover, thoroughly enjoyed it. Look forward to getting into some more marvel stuff :)

That is all my last months purchases read now. Time to put together the next purchase

REcently read an good article that shredded Civil War as a load of badly written nonsense even by comics standards and hoping that the upcoming Cap Movie would deviate from it. Whilst I enjoyed Civil War when I reread it recently I had to agree with many of the author's points.

I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having never read the Dark Knight Returns or Strikes Again, I decided to get my hands on them ahead of the third one being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Having never read the Dark Knight Returns or Strikes Again, I decided to get my hands on them ahead of the third one being released.

I seem to be the only person I know looking forward to part 3....

Just read the deluxe HC of Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth. Great stuff all the way through. Many feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I seem to be the only person I know looking forward to part 3.

You are!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Also started reading Watchmen and was wondering how do people feel about things such as pages of fictional books being included in a comic? I'm not a fan personally. Not because I don't like reading but more because panels and captions/speech balloons flow better. Also you're reading something that may or may not be relevant to the main story. If it was a very brief excerpt from the book, maybe a paragraph or 2, which more obviously ties into the story then okay, but when it takes up multiple pages then it just feels like a chore to get through.

I also had this in Alias as well recently, though that wasn't as bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I am currently struggling through the X-Man crossover series, Messiah Complex.
    The artwork for the New X-Men titles are hard to decipher. Very japanese manga-ish, which I was never able to take to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just finished American Vampire vol 6. it remains consistently outstanding.

I just finished American Vampire vol 6. it remains consistently outstanding.

Gah, I really need to read this but nowhere has it in paperback and I'm not putting a hardback on my shelf next to fiver paperbacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Criminal Volume 5: The Sinners. Not much to say, continues on the high level set in the earlier volumes. Features the return of one of the series most popular characters, and the final scene made it my favourite volume of the series so far. But then I read...

Criminal Volume 6: The Last of the Innocent. Which became my favourite volume. Completely different type of story to what has gone before but still as gripping and full of twists and turns. Highlight of this is the contrasting art styles between Phillips normal dark gritty style, and the Archie-esque style used for Reilly's flashbacks.

X-men: X-cutioner's Song. This was probably the first X-men crossover I read in the old Marvel UK reprints, although I think I may have missed some chapters back then as they didn't seem familiar. If this happened today it would be an Avengers story with the X-men relegated to bit part players due to the 'conspiracy', but here there's none in sight (bar Beast). Lobdell gets some flack as a writer but he has the X-men down to a tee here, particularly in the epilogue. Also strange to see everyone doing Jim Lee lite style art, even Andy Kubert who debuts during the story.

Secret Wars 1-5 (2015): Good to read one of these 'events' that isn't written by Bendis, although some of his influence is still there with several characters just talking the exact same (Spidey, Miles, Star Lord). Seems fairly slow moving as there are only 8 issues (I think), and not a lot has actually happened beyond world building. No surprise to see
    Cyclops
    as the first casualty though.

American Vampire Vol 1: Really like the setting and the switching between the two time periods works, although I did find myself just wanting to continue on with the story I was currently reading when I got to the end of each chapter. Only complaint would be that some of the action scenes are short and don't have a sense of danger, although
    Hattie turning on Pearl was really well done, and a genuine shock.

• Advertisement

^^Secret Wars is being extended to #9.

The dual time period thing kinda tapers off after the first volume of American Vampire, pretty much when Stephen King stops writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Have caught up on the comics now but have a ton of graphic novels to read.

I wasn't overly impressed with Batman '66. Any one else try it and what did they think?

Next up is Captain America Winter Soldier and Red Skull. These were one of the first TPB's I got bug have been sitting on the shelf unread

Just read the first page of Captain America: White and already wowed. Tim Sale's art is always amazing but when he works with Loeb, it pops that much more and he brings Loeb up a level too, imo. One page in and I'm floored by it. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Monthly purchase coming up Friday, looking forward to it. Crazy withdrawls last two weeks with nothing to read.

Looking to pick up

The Walking Dead Volume 4
    Dead Pool Volume 2 : Soul Hunter
    Batman Volume 6 : Graveyard shift (hoping Big bang have a paperback copy)

And then for a forth going to look into something entirely new. Bit of a toss up between a few things. Standing out at the moment is

Invincible Iron Man Volume 1 : Five nightmares or IDW Transformers : Last Stand of the Wreckers

Plan to get into reading some Transformers, and seems to be a recommended idea to clear of a few titles before hitting the big one (The IDW collections)

I don't think Batman vol6 is out in paperback yet. Iron Man 5 Nightmares is fantastic (as is the rest of Fraction's run).

I don't think Batman vol6 is out in paperback yet. Iron Man 5 Nightmares is fantastic (as is the rest of Fraction's run).

Kinda just hoping. I know its out hardback but with the rest of my collection being paperback dont really want to break that trend. Also just prefer paperback.

Yeah that Iron man series comes highly recommended and where I'm looking at first to break into MArvel characters.

If Batman is in fact not available, might swop that out for something else. Wolverine Enemy of the state of something I hear a bit about

Enemy of the State is a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just read the first page of Captain America: White and already wowed. Tim Sale's art is always amazing but when he works with Loeb, it pops that much more and he brings Loeb up a level too, imo. One page in and I'm floored by it. Beautiful.

Was this written quite awhile ago around when Spider-Man Blue etc came out and shelved? Seem to remember something about it.

Just finished Captain America : Winter Soldier Dossier Edition by Brubaker. Is an absolutely amazing piece of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I´m reading secret invasion at the moment...

what a load of bollox.. great artwork.. but very boring...
    nearly everyone is a skrull and all these imposters have the powers of the person they are copying... and at one stage a space crashed on the Savage land and all these superheroes emerged...

can anyone tell me if they were the originals before the imposters got to them.... I´m bored and lost...

^^I also found Secret Invasion quite dull.
    Antibac wrote: »
    Was this written quite awhile ago around when Spider-Man Blue etc came out and shelved? Seem to remember something about it.

Just finished Captain America : Winter Soldier Dossier Edition by Brubaker. Is an absolutely amazing piece of work

Yeah I think it was meant to come out around 2008, initially.

• Advertisement

Same with Secret Invasion. Don't think I have gone back to look at it since originally reading it. Also wasn't overly pushed on Yu's art for it, much preferred his earlier work on Wolverine, and even some of his x-men stuff.

Speaking of X-Men, I've never read an X-Men comic I've liked until I started reading Astonishing X-Men in the last few days. Great stuff so far!

Speaking of X-Men, I've never read an X-Men comic I've liked until I started reading Astonishing X-Men in the last few days. Great stuff so far!

The Whedon run?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The Whedon run?

The very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

TheDoc wrote: »
    And then for a forth going to look into something entirely new. Bit of a toss up between a few things. Standing out at the moment is

Invincible Iron Man Volume 1 : Five nightmares or IDW Transformers : Last Stand of the Wreckers

Plan to get into reading some Transformers, and seems to be a recommended idea to clear of a few titles before hitting the big one (The IDW collections)

Last stand of the wreckers is a great book. My gateway introduction for non Transfans.

This is a great blog by a non Transfan who's become a Transfan.
    http://comicsalliance.com/the-transformed-man-act-9-last-stand-of-the-wreckers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Just read through the a whole heap of the Ultimate comic lines from Marvel.

My gawds that Ultimatum arc was horrible crud.
    The Character genocide, Just offing folks left right and center. I assume it was because they could.

And what the hell happened in Ultimate's Vol.3
    Who let that happen after the fun of books 1&2.
    Starting on Millars Ultimate Avengers shortly see if he can take it back to what it was.

Really enjoyed the Ultimate Spiderman run thou. Shame he appears to bite it off screen. Really not sure Bendis should be allowed to write teenage girls thou.
    Mary Jane appeared a little all over the place. But that may have been intentional. Loved the fact that he couldn't keep his identity safe at all.

Did enjoy his updates on the spidey Villains. His Shocker being a wonderful take on a really really crappy Villain.

The X-men started Strong but looses it way about issue 70. Which isn't a bad run at all.

The only crossovers of the series I enjoyed was Ultimate War and Ultimate six. The rest appeared to be trying to shoehorn in a big event.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Last stand of the wreckers is a great book. My gateway introduction for non Transfans.

This is a great blog by a non Transfan who's become a Transfan.
    http://comicsalliance.com/the-transformed-man-act-9-last-stand-of-the-wreckers/

Yeah that is the sort of guidelines I've been getting from a reddit thread about read orders and stuff for Transformers.

Plan is :
    Last Stand of the Wreckers
    All Hail Megatron
    Chaos Theory
    IDW Collection Phase 2 (which contains seemingly the best set of IDW Transformers.

Probably be grabbing them one per month to co-incide with my other reading. Was mad for Transformers as a kid, still believe the 80's animated film was superior to the live action ones !

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Half way through Watchman and it is as good as people make it out to be :)

Turns out volume 6 for Batman is out next Wednesday in paperback, god dammit! I guess another visit to Big Bang to pick it up.

Todays haul

Wolverine Enemy of the State
    Walking Dead Volume 4
    Deadpool Volume 2 - Soulhunter
    IDW Transformers - Last Stand of the Wreckers

€80 all in wasn't too bad.

Asked about Invincible Iron Man and the guy said he can order in a copy in hardback. Damn the boys in there are knowledgeable. When I asked about Iron Man he did that "is it the X run or the Y run" and I was like "hold on there a sec" while I jumped onto amazon to check haha.

I guess the only downside was seeing Batman Vol 7 endgame there, and having to wait until next year for the softback copy : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Just read through the a whole heap of the Ultimate comic lines from Marvel.

My gawds that Ultimatum arc was horrible crud.
    The Character genocide, Just offing folks left right and center. I assume it was because they could.

And what the hell happened in Ultimate's Vol.3
    Who let that happen after the fun of books 1&2.
    Starting on Millars Ultimate Avengers shortly see if he can take it back to what it was.

Ultimates Vol 3 was such a travesty and did so much damage that it nearly sank the Ultimate Universe. Apparently Millar will now only give interviews on the basis that Vol 3 is off the table.

Advertisement