Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

fr336 wrote: »
    What about exercise? I went on for literally years with this never being able to find a way out and getting worse and worse and not wanting to take medication. Exercise would make me feel good during and after but then I'd be more anxious than ever at night and not able to sleep at all - zombie like. Then I eventually did both in tandem - give up bad food / drink and did basic exercise - and wow. First two days not so great, then a real uplift. I'm not saying this would work even in a small way with anyone else but for me I never thought it'd be so 'easy' if only I could be consistent with it. Think of life as two doors...we are where we are now, but could round the other door be our steps upwards? I didn't think it could happen and it did. Likewise if you're feeling in despair etc, again who wouldn't with this crap and also the condition itself plays tricks on your mind itself. Maybe we need to push against our instincts.

...I say as I munch on a big Domino's Pizza meal.

I get disillusioned far too easily. I expect instant results, despite rationally knowing that that won't happen.

Jealous! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

mg1982 wrote: »
    I found that too hugo. Cutting it out completely put me into a murderous rage. I like my can of coke too much.

Coke is terrible stuff for addiction, it once contained cocaine you know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Busy day- gp , pieta (got my old therapist back) & psych.
    Told psych about disassociation and stuff but she didn't say much. She seems to think me applying skills is ok and I was able to tell her all my issues with train yesterday.

Pieta was ok ... still quite low, just not feeling myself. My pdoc named it today you can be worn out from fighting life and thoughts. She said you may want to disappear from your emotional pain but not necessarily want to die.
    I still think I am leaning more towards the latter though.

On a good note, I got a tattoo today and love it.
    Hugs to everyone today.

Oh am doing the mini marathon for console , a great cause so if anyone fancies sponsoring me let me know.

I am also blogging so if anyone fancies following me ..I can give you a link

Good to hear fg. Ya post me the link and i can read it.

Coke is terrible stuff for addiction, it once contained cocaine you know :p

I think it still does lol. But ya it is very addictive.

I love my diet cola. I gotta get my caffeine from somewhere! I don't really drink hot beverages, so that doesn't leave me with many other options.

Also, I'm a fat fcuker. My body is too used to junk at this stage.

I know pretty much everyone relies on caffeine but jesus it's a bad, bad thing. It kids the human body both physically and mentally that caffeine is its fuel, rather than natural fuel. Doing this every day for a lifetime as most people do to a small, medium or large extent the results are plain to see, again to a small medium or large degree in people. That's how I felt when I cut that and everything else out, I felt human...kind scary right? That I was having so much caffeine I constantly needed more for fuel.

• Advertisement

I think it still does lol. But ya it is very addictive.

Ah man, that'd be the right stuff to drink in the morning! :D
    I know pretty much everyone relies on caffeine but jesus it's a bad, bad thing. It kids the human body both physically and mentally that caffeine is its fuel, rather than natural fuel. Doing this every day for a lifetime as most people do to a small, medium or large extent the results are plain to see, again to a small medium or large degree in people. That's how I felt when I cut that and everything else out, I felt human...kind scary right? That I was having so much caffeine I constantly needed more for fuel.

Maybe we feel human already. A little too human even. Like, that could be the problem.

Ah man, that'd be the right stuff to drink in the morning! :D

That would get you out of bed allright lol.In the early 20th century cocaine was recomended for treating depression :eek:

Maybe we feel human already. A little too human even. Like, that could be the problem.

No Hugo, I don't agree. I promise there is more to life than this. The defeatist mindset is the enemy to us all, we have to deal in facts.

In the early 20th century cocaine was recomended for treating depression :eek:

Well it would, wouldn't it :D Jesus I'm glad I never got into anything like that, I don't even drink alcohol that's something positive I guess (though a bit of booze is meant to be good for your stress levels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I can't understand why my mood drops so much in the evening. Thought it was meant to be morning made mood worse.

I've to phone the psychiatrist tomorrow and give over abusers name. Poop. At least I'll be on my own in the office. Have a meeting tomorrow as well. I think I'm looking forward to talking to the psychiatrist tomorrow tbh.

• Advertisement

Well it would, wouldn't it :D Jesus I'm glad I never got into anything like that, I don't even drink alcohol that's something positive I guess (though a bit of booze is meant to be good for your stress levels)

I have a bit of a sinus infection at the moment, had a rotten headache with sore eyes in work yesterday so this morning I took some solpasinus... Well feck me! Pseudoeffedrine is so much better for a morning perk up than caffeine! *must not go down that dodgy Road*

I have a bit of a sinus infection at the moment, had a rotten headache with sore eyes in work yesterday so this morning I took some solpasinus... Well feck me! Pseudoeffedrine is so much better for a morning perk up than caffeine! *must not go down that dodgy Road*

We must rid our body of caffeine...wait a few weeks for full withdrawal...and breathe in the morning air for our pick me ups :cool: (I am serious you know :p)

In the early 20th century cocaine was recomended for treating depression :eek:

Supposedly you could buy a lot of the good stuff over the counter back in the day.
    No Hugo, I don't agree. I promise there is more to life than this. The defeatist mindset is the enemy to us all, we have to deal in facts.

Them's fightin' words, FR! :p
    I can't understand why my mood drops so much in the evening. Thought it was meant to be morning made mood worse.

I've to phone the psychiatrist tomorrow and give over abusers name. Poop. At least I'll be on my own in the office. Have a meeting tomorrow as well. I think I'm looking forward to talking to the psychiatrist tomorrow tbh.

My mood often dips in the evening too. A day in our lives can be utterly draining I find.

Apart from the naming issue, you finding the psychiatrist ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Struggling a lot tonight. Just feeling low and know if I had access to certain things that no one would know what I had done til it was too late.. I took my med right before bed as advised by my pdoc today she thinks they might kick in better rather than me taking them an hour before bed. I don't know. Thought blogging would get a bit off my chest but not tonight. 
    Hate the feeling of nothingness and being tired over feeling this way.

Them's fightin' words, FR! :p

You ever heard of Periscope? It's an app for smartphones, Ipods with wifi etc where you can stream video live and people can go on a map of the country and see who's streaming. Anyway there's these two bar bouncers in Waterford who stream as they're on duty and let's say there are some 'characters':eek: who drop in as they're entering the bar. It's kind of funny, mainly filthy.

You ever heard of Periscope? It's an app for smartphones, Ipods with wifi etc where you can stream video live and people can go on a map of the country and see who's streaming. Anyway there's these two bar bouncers in Waterford who stream as they're on duty and let's say there are some 'characters':eek: who drop in as they're entering the bar. It's kind of funny, mainly filthy.

I haven't heard of that. I must check it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hi I have been following this thread for a while and I just wanted a bit of advice.
    I feel like I'm suffering from something in my head but I don't exactly know is it stress anxiety depression etc. I know everyone here is going through a hard time so kick me out if I'm in the wrong place.
    Basically I have a 20 month old daughter and did not return to work after my maternity leave due to inconvenient hours. Iv been a stay at home mom for all this time , and while I love being with her I'm stressing about where my life is going. I am finding it hard to find a part time job, this is stressing me out. I feel like I haven't much friends anymore everyone is doing they're own thing. Sometimes the smallest thing can set me off inside where I feel like my whole body tenses that I could explode with anger. Something simple like dropping something sets me off.
    My moods go hot and cold with my partner. Sometimes I get the shakes about things I can't control or if I had an event I get nervous about it for weeks. For example he's family want to have a foreign holiday next year with all the family little cousins etc and I'm anxious about this already, and it's a year away. I feel very paranoid about what people think about me. I always think they talk about me badly or have a bad opinion about me. I think about death an awful lot . Me dying or my family. And it worries me and upsets me but I can't help it and it's not normal.
    Sometimes I get flutters in my heart that literally could burst through my chest and it would take a good hour to calm down.

I really don't know what I am trying to say here. I think if I had to self diagnose I would say I get nervous around people I don't know or unfamiliar events/places. I know ️Yer not allowed give medical advice but does anyone know if I have traits of anxiety or am I imagining things.

I'm sorry for the long post and I know this isn't a big problem compared to most people. I feel a bit better writing this down actually.

How heightened do you guy's senses get with anxiety? I hear people shutting doors and cars and even though I know it's my anxiety making it much 'louder' and close, it still annoys me so much it's like so loud and they're banging the doors and it's all I can hear argh

Struggling a lot tonight. Just feeling low and know if I had access to certain things that no one would know what I had done til it was too late.. I took my med right before bed as advised by my pdoc today she thinks they might kick in better rather than me taking them an hour before bed. I don't know. Thought blogging would get a bit off my chest but not tonight. 
    Hate the feeling of nothingness and being tired over feeling this way.

Hi Freudiangirl. I would like to follow your blog please?

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi I have been following this thread for a while and I just wanted a bit of advice.
    I feel like I'm suffering from something in my head but I don't exactly know is it stress anxiety depression etc. I know everyone here is going through a hard time so kick me out if I'm in the wrong place.
    Basically I have a 20 month old daughter and did not return to work after my maternity leave due to inconvenient hours. Iv been a stay at home mom for all this time , and while I love being with her I'm stressing about where my life is going. I am finding it hard to find a part time job, this is stressing me out. I feel like I haven't much friends anymore everyone is doing they're own thing. Sometimes the smallest thing can set me off inside where I feel like my whole body tenses that I could explode with anger. Something simple like dropping something sets me off.
    My moods go hot and cold with my partner. Sometimes I get the shakes about things I can't control or if I had an event I get nervous about it for weeks. For example he's family want to have a foreign holiday next year with all the family little cousins etc and I'm anxious about this already, and it's a year away. I feel very paranoid about what people think about me. I always think they talk about me badly or have a bad opinion about me. I think about death an awful lot . Me dying or my family. And it worries me and upsets me but I can't help it and it's not normal.
    Sometimes I get flutters in my heart that literally could burst through my chest and it would take a good hour to calm down.

I really don't know what I am trying to say here. I think if I had to self diagnose I would say I get nervous around people I don't know or unfamiliar events/places. I know ️Yer not allowed give medical advice but does anyone know if I have traits of anxiety or am I imagining things.

I'm sorry for the long post and I know this isn't a big problem compared to most people. I feel a bit better writing this down actually.

As you said we cant diagnose or give medical advice. But it does sound like your going through a hard time of it. If you can at all try and see your doc about it because theres lots of advice about treatment he can give you. Anxiety plays havoc with the mind.

• Advertisement

As you said we cant diagnose or give medical advice. But it does sound like your going through a hard time of it. If you can at all try and see your doc about it because theres lots of advice about treatment he can give you. Anxiety plays havoc with the mind.

Ya I feel like I'm driving myself crazy over small things and don't want to waste the doctors time , but your right

Ya I feel like I'm driving myself crazy over small things and don't want to waste the doctors time , but your right

He wont think your wasting his time if hes anyway decent. Its a serious issue.

You honestly won't be wasting the doctor's time at all, J. They're there to help you and will point you in the right direction. :)

Got to be up at 7...will probably get 4 hours sleep...yay. Funnily enough as the day rolls on such little sleep turns out to be a lot easier than the energy drain that is anxiety.

My mom had been diagnosed with bipolar and is on a lot of different medications a lot of it. She has been like this for years. I kind of think maybe I am turning into her. In wondwring does stuff like this run in families. Mom is adopted so my family tree in regards to health issues stop at my mam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hi ja1986 first off welcome to the thread. Its a great place to off load and vent :)

I second what mg said. make an appointment with your GP. Help is there so please don't suffer in silence. in mean time keep posting here. Nearly always someone around to chat.

My mom had been diagnosed with bipolar and is on a lot of different medications a lot of it. She has been like this for years. I kind of think maybe I am turning into her. In wondwring does stuff like this run in families. Mom is adopted so my family tree in regards to health issues stop at my mam.

There is evidence that it can be passed on in generations but hopefully not in your case. Bipolar usually appears early in life like in adolescence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Wow, I didn't know Console had a text helpline. Think I'll save that number in my phone. Here's a list of the supports posted in that Journal article:
    Samaritans 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org
    Console 1800 247 247, or text Help to 51444 – (suicide prevention, self-harm, bereavement)
    Aware 1890 303 302 (depression, anxiety)
    Pieta House 01 601 0000 or email mary@pieta.ie - (suicide, self-harm)
    Teen-Line Ireland 1800 833 634 (for ages 13 to 19)
    Childline 1800 66 66 66 (for under 18s)

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm really rather stressed out. Site meeting today, wasn't the worst ever, but they're all looking to me for information fast because it's progressing and my predecessor didn't finish the design or drawings, and I've only started this week so I'm not really up to speed on the project at all -which they're okay with, they get that I've just started - but they still need the info quickly... and now I've other people looking for stuff that they need because they're being sued and oh GOD I could do with not being in today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement