Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Tackled the 5 Aquaducts 200. Due to some mix up with dates and the weather, I was the only entry on the day. Suited me grand as I usually end up on my own going at my own pace. The rain eased off the further you got from Dublin. Never rode the canal paths before but was great fun, as long as you have the bike to take the rough terrain. Around Enfield my knee started acting up so with only half the route completed it was foolish to continue, so headed back to Dublin defeated and wet.

https://www.strava.com/activities/375988219 155kms for the day.

Tough conditions out there yesterday so fair play for taking it on in the first place. Missed out on entry with earlier deadline (probably PBP related) so I'd say that contributed to the small number of entries coupled with the orange warning rain forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Tough conditions out there yesterday so fair play for taking it on in the first place. Missed out on entry with earlier deadline (probably PBP related) so I'd say that contributed to the small number of entries coupled with the orange warning rain forecast

I'd say the last thing on any PBP riders mind was getting out in that yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Well done Tax man

was down to do this y'day but bailed on way over...shame on me
    really want to try it as i have the bike for it...i think
    anyone else up for it in the near future??
    as i'm leixlip based it would suite me to start in leixlip(could even include an extra aquaduct at Louisa Bridge!!) do the course to the end and then do the bit from Whitehall to leixlip to get home

tax man; how were the route sheet notes(re:keeping on correct side of canal for CTP's) and /or did u rely on Garmin gps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

devonp wrote: »

tax man; how were the route sheet notes(re:keeping on correct side of canal for CTP's) and /or did u rely on Garmin gps?

I didn't use the route sheets. If I printed them out I would've had a few A4 sheets they would turn to muck in that rain.
    I relied on the Garmin but I soon coped that I had to check the route ahead to see what side of the canal I should be on. There were sections that had a road on the other side but I stuck to the tow paths. Turned out I could've traveled on the road.
    I rode it on my CX bike with 32c Marathon plus tyres.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There were sections that had a road on the other side but I stuck to the tow paths. Turned out I could've traveled on the road.

Tried that a couple of months back, coming back to Dublin after Digby's bridge. Road followed the canal, took a small detour after the Leinster aqueduct, and came back onto the canal. Wrong canal. After a brief trip into Naas, I now know the Grand canal splits at Sallins with separate East bound and South bound routes. Who'dve thunk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Zyzz wrote: »
    Crashed, battered and bruised, bike written off.

:o

Think I read about that on FBI Book. Sounded nasty :/

Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Headed from Old Bawn up towards Dublin Golf Club today. **** me I'm unfit. I've gone up steeper hills before, but I absolutely died today. Part of me thinks I should get a compact and part of me is shouting Rule 5. Managed it anyway and found my new favourite descent. Brittas down to the Blessington road via Mt. Seskin Road. It's called Corbally Descent on Strava. Says I hit 71kph and I'd believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

v.annoyed. 31 mins for 11.4 kms this morning, it was a slog! had to get the train in from confey. When I stop pedaling my back wheel just stops, its almost like I'm cycling with the brakes on, checked & the brakes are away from the rim. time for a trip to the lbs methinks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nice evening for it.

Did a FTP test as I did one on trainer road earlier in the week and wasn't happy. Did on this evening and got 305w which I am well happy with. An improvement of 95w since tuesday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took the new Rose CX out for a mooch around the neighbourhood to get the disc brakes bedded in and get a better feel for the bike. Couple of niggles in that my choice of pedals and saddle weren't great so I'll be moving my SPDs and B17 from the old bike for the short term. Outside of that the bike is a dream, and I'm loving the Ultegra which seems to perform far better than the Veloce on the the old bike. I reckon the brakes are bedded in enough take her out in the hills over the weekend, and will be interested how she compares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭nilhg

godtabh wrote: »
    Nice evening for it.

Did a FTP test as I did one on trainer road earlier in the week and wasn't happy. Did on this evening and got 305w which I am well happy with. An improvement of 95w since tuesday.

I've read that overheating on the turbo can cause a loss of up to 20% of power, your figure is even higher, what do you think was the cause?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nilhg wrote: »
    I've read that overheating on the turbo can cause a loss of up to 20% of power, your figure is even higher, what do you think was the cause?

I think it was the heat. Couldn't get into a rhythm at all where today I was straight into it

Also I watched tv. I think next time I do it indoors I think I'll need some hard house trance to get into the zone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    First attempt at Mamore Gap in Inishowen/Donegal today ... sweet mother of God.

Fully deserved reputation, there's a reason it has its own grotto. Not exactly appropriate but as I passed I was muttering swear swords I never knew previously existed in my vocabulary.

So, the way these things usually work is after a bit of time you gradually forgot how tough a climb is and think maybe I should give that another go. I give full permission to anyone who hears those words leave my mouth to shoot me, you may keep the bike.
    moggie123 wrote: »
    Yep couldn't agree more went up it (Twisty side) yesterday . I can honestly say I've never experienced a climb like it. Felt I should have bought a ladder !
    It's up there with Priest's Leap in terms of savagery (although the Gap of Mamore has a much better surface). Both make Kilmashogue Lane seem fairly flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It's up there with Priest's Leap in terms of savagery (although the Gap of Mamore has a much better surface). Both make Kilmashogue Lane seem fairly flat!

Have you done Truskmore? It's a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Schools are back :(
    I hate whatever-the-season-after-not-having-a-summer is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

My cycle today:

Back a week from my Cycling Adventure in Spain and today was my first day back on my racer - just felt awesome!
    Legs were getting itchy these past few days but needed to let the bruising settle and assess what was what before I started back on my auld local spins again.

My lungs just felt so much stronger ;
    My legs felt so much lighter ;
    It was thundery weather here on my spin but I just took no notice ;
    It was just Awesome!
    Took on small climbs to stretch the legs and was up them faster than before I left ; and, and in higher gears too!

I'd a short but Wonderful days cycle today,
    Looking forward,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Folks, have the bike with me and itching to get a spin in around Swords this evening but stuck for ideas. I am pretty sick of Swords - Howth and back.

Any inspirational ideas for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

MugMugs wrote: »
    Folks, have the bike with me and itching to get a spin in around Swords this evening but stuck for ideas. I am pretty sick of Swords - Howth and back.

Any inspirational ideas for me ?
    Go north. Roganstown. Towards naul. The snowtown climb. Take a left towards clonalvy. The head for garristown. Out by rathbeale road. Take right for at Margaret's and back via back of the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'll give it a lash ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There is something sickly satisfying about kicking your own ass on a cycle & beating previous! :D

Turned into one lovely evening,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

I should be happy but I am slightly disgusted at myself.

I managed my 20th century for the year today.

sqt6x4.jpg

It was nice to head out to the DNS today.

Managed Howth Hill from the steep side? 'twas grand.

The LTC people that I headed out with today are just the best tbh.

I also may have signed up to do Dublin to Cork in one day next year.

101.7 Done for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

I should be happy but I am slightly disgusted at myself.

I managed my 20th century for the year today.

sqt6x4.jpg

It was nice to head out to the DNS today.

Managed Howth Hill from the steep side? 'twas grand.

The LTC people that I headed out with today are just the best tbh.

I also may have signed up to do Dublin to Cork in one day next year.

101.7 Done for the day.

Why are you disgusted with yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'd be thrilled if I had a 20 centuries this year. I have 3 I think, maybe 20 since I first started cycling 3 yes ago.

Went out today and did 55km at my fastest ever, 27.3kph. Tired and lagging at the end but when I looked back at my last year's stats, I was thrilled.

G1032 wrote: »
    Why are you disgusted with yourself?

Because I have a fully functioning body that I abuse to ridiculous extremes.

My precycling activities today would disgust you :(

I'm dealing with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

You like the odd cigarette iirc?
    I used to smoke 25 a day years ago!! Haven't had one in 4 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

You got out on bike though.

You have a nicotine addication, it's more than a habit. The wisest man I knew beat an alcohol addiction in his 40s and helped countless others in his sober 35 years after that.

His funeral book had the following mantra inscribed
    Allow me to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

113 mile cycle today , hard way round /wrong way round, I did hard way . Was a real hard slog in end . That's my second 113 mile cycle in 8 weeks . I don't think my old knees can take any more !!!!!

I'm feeling proud at my grand old age of........39 and 3 quarters I can still do it .

i need a pint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

G1032 wrote: »
    You like the odd cigarette iirc?
    I used to smoke 25 a day years ago!! Haven't had one in 4 years though.
    Tomorrow, i.e. today (it's 1.15am) I'll be 18 years free from a 55/60 a day habit! :cool:

(The day is easy to remember - 30th August 1997. I had my last cigarette after my lunch at work. Princess Diana died later that day/night).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

55/60 a day

This kind of explains your mileage WA - you simply do things on a grand scale, don't you? :P

(I had a _short period_ in my life when I smoked 60 a day... it was quite destructive physically...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I saw a guy today jogging with a sky cycling jersey on. Wtf!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement