Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gay.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

DeVore wrote: »
    Seems to be the weekend to tell people. There's not much more (and yet a whole lot more) to say about that. I'm gay.

Coming out has been... unsettling... but this weekend made it a lot (LOT) easier.

Thanks to all the YES supporters of all types.

Very brave of you to say so publicly.

I am "straight" but unable to do anything due to medical condition.... AND that is the first time I have EVER told anyone that. It is not easy to admit to so I can imagine how brave you were to post your OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Congrats man!

I have to say that I think boards.ie has actually been one of the fundamental parts of the change here in Ireland. It's one of the very few huge general discussion forums anywhere on the entire internet.

What's amazing is you could be chiming in on something totally techie about fibre broadband, jumping to political issues, having a bit of craic with After Hours and possibly then stumbling in somewhere like here and discussing your sexuality or your political outlook or how to fix your fridge.

To me, it's a site that lets me browse all sorts of aspects of Irish life. I may never meet any of you in real life, but there's something very cool about being able to just chime in, get insight and learn about things.

For me, it helped me deal with the fact that I'm not at all religious. Actually have to say it's been great to be able to bounce stuff around over on the Atheist and Agnostic forum and it definitely made me feel much less isolated. It has genuinely been a huge deal for me to know I'm not in a tiny minority in that regard.

It was also great to see that boards, Facebook, Twitter and other social media allowed tons of people gay, straight, bi, trans or however they define their sexuality to come out and support their fellow citizens.

I'm bi myself and haven't really mentioned that on here before either. (Not that I want to gate crash the thread)

I've actually had a fairly hard time with the whole bi thing as I think you just fall between two benches and I'm only in my late 20s and grew up with quite liberal family and even openly gay extended family members. I always felt like I'd just keep quiet because I would get no support and no understanding from either straight or gay people and that I'd have to pick a side.

In my teens I was pretty much told by two gay guys I know that I was just a coward and couldn't admit that I was gay and it actually left me nearly clinically depressed because I started questioning my own identity and thinking that maybe I was just somehow internally homophobic or something (which is what they accused me of).
    I can't just be gay or just be straight because I'm actually neither / both.

After that I was just totally sure that is just have to keep it all inside and never really talk about it as nobody would ever understand. I still don't think a lot of people understand tbh.
    On the one hand you think straight people will think you're just kidding yourself and on the other you never really feel "quite gay enough" to join in with the gay community itself.

I'd actually love to just be gay. My life would have been a lot less confusing and I think I'd have been much more comfortable with myself.

I've had *very* long and serious straight relationships that I've been very happy in.
    My ex was fully aware of me being bi but we never really discussed it and when it did come up it was usually that they thought I was checking out men or that I was too close to male friends/acquaintances. We broke up, but not for that reason.

I also, actually thinking about it, have relatively few good friends because of this. I tended to not want to get too close to guys because I know I can definitely fall in love with them. At the same time I can fall head over heels in love with women. So I guess out of social laziness I just tended to avoid men - I know, that was stupid and probably didn't do me any good but that's what I did and as a result I've hardly any close male friends and never had. I just learnt to put up a barrier and keep it there to avoid getting hurt or making things complicated.

However, I'm equally comfortable going either way and to be honest the referendum feels like a giant weight has been lifted off me. I actually started crying at random on Saturday which is something I never normally do.

While I may end up with a life partner of either gender, I just feel for the first time that if I do say I'm bi, maybe, just maybe I've the support of a lot more people than I would have thought and have completely underestimated both the gay and straight sections of society.

Anyway ... Just thought I'd add my story.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Absolutely. As I said, its not all sunshine and lollipops yet for young people coming out in Ireland. It is *better*, sure, but that's a relative term! :)

When I was growing up my fantasies literally made me a sex-criminal :) ... and while it was never really a concern about being arrested (everyone knew that that law was ridiculous) ... that was the backdrop. The sense was "yeah, you can have your furtive ads in the back of In Dublin and we wont actively hunt you, but always remember we think you are so abnormal as to be criminal". That hurts and makes sure you keep your secrets close. It does untold damage to your self-esteem and definitely fed into the depression I have talked about on AH. I'm very glad that, whatever challenges our youth face today (and discrimination didn't disappear overnight on Saturday remember)...that at least society has improved beyond that.

Very similar to myself. Growing up in the 90s was difficult. Watching the 92/93 decriminalisation as a young teenager and not fully understanding the context was difficult and scarring. I was severely bullied every day from about 8 to 18. I remember considering suicide at the age of 13 because of this. Because of this I have gone through many years of low self esteem, self doubt and sometimes self hatred. For me this campaign and the result means finally letting go of a lot of that internalised homophobia and being greatful that many many young people are much less likely to go through the same hurt and trauma and distress that I and many others did.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OMG

I'm in tears reading spacetimes post because I totally resonate with that too. I've been crying on and off reading so many different stories the last 2-3 weeks.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

OMG

I'm in tears reading spacetimes post because I totally resonate with that too. I've been crying on and off reading so many different stories the last 2-3 weeks.

I think we all need a big group hug tbh!

I'm just glad that a lot of us feel a little more comfortable in our own skins this week.

I just wanted to post my experience because I think it's important to hear as many of these stories as possible. It's a lonely path at all if people know lots of others are walking it too.

I just wanted to share my story as I think sometimes the B in LGBT is a bit forgotten about .. The T even more so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

SpaceTime wrote:
    I just wanted to share my story as I think sometimes the B in LGBT is a bit forgotten about .. The T even more so!

Very much so. And if you are not sure if you are 50/50, 60/40 or what you will turn out to be when the dust settles you are afraid to say you are X,Y,Z as then you are labelled that and can't rub out the tick and put it in another box without all the scepticism and jumping down your throat.

I just think it's good to get all of these things out!

Hopefully this referendum result will see a lot more people just having that little extra confidence to be who they are and know the world isn't against them.

Thanks DeVore :)

It's a brave and encouraging way to start a thread and I wish you absolutely all the very best !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its like someone starting a fight with you in a pub and finding out that 2/3rds of the pub is on your side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

OMG

I'm exactly like that since the tallies became clear. Out of nowhere, I'm thinking of someone or something and the tears well up. It has brought me back to growing up in the late 70's / early 80's and trying to understand who I was with the poison and self hatred I was fed and always feeling watched, always checking that I was hidden under the shell of "straight man". Always in my mind this past week are Vinnie Hanley and Declan Flynn. I knew neither but I have a memory of going past Vinnie on College Green one evening as he moved against the flow of people, in by the wall, headphones of the day in I think. It has stayed with me, the image of the man put outside the herd, the rejected. He had that hunted look I think we all had. And Declan, poor Declan, whose lonely death began the change. And I think of trying to get the courage to go into Rice's or Bartley Dunnes or the Hirschfield Centre. So much to think on and dwell on. That vote has unlocked a past I thought I had forgotten. It's like Lord of the Rings sometimes when I have to visit the kingdom of the dead to face my own living. But it's so strangely renewing. I am utterly lost and like Heaney said, at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Great to see so many people liberated by the decision.

Hopefully now we can all move on from the self congratulatory 'great little country so we are' muck to the effect that people's sexual preferences are no longer a matter of public debate.

• Advertisement

Great to see so many people liberated by the decision.

Hopefully now we can all move on from the self congratulatory 'great little country so we are' muck to the effect that people's sexual preferences are no longer a matter of public debate.

Hopefully, although there are still people bleating away about it on the "no" side.

The campaign was actually not very nice to experience even though the result was positive, it really did bring up a lot of old baggage that I hadn't even thought about for years. I'd say some other people (especially from slightly older generations) were probably really quite upset by some of what was being said.

Even a few people I know who are adoptees and single parents were absolutely furious about some of the comments and could hardly listen to the radio or watch Irish TV.

It also gave carte blanche for a % of the population to say pretty horrible things too and feel they'd legitimacy and a right to say them without me having a right to be at all offended by that.

At one stage during the campaign, I was seriously giving thought to where I'd move if it had been a No.

Stressful few weeks (months actually as it was sooo dragged out ahead of the official campaign.)

On the plus side, the BAI has apparently ruled that gay marriage is no longer a 'matter of public debate' so it's no longer likely to hold broadcasters to ridiculous levels of balance requirements on the topic.

Turning parts of people's identity into a matter of public debate while it achieved a good result was fairly excruciating at times. It's no wonder we're all so emotional about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Glad you feel happy to come out in this country! YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It's great that you feel comfortable enough to do this now!

It must be incredibly reassuring to see how Ireland is changing these days, I look at my kids and they can't even comprehend why being gay would be wrong, it just seems to make sense to them. :)

Congrats chief!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I wanted to post this publically for two reasons.
    A. F*ck fear. I've spent a lot of my life giving the two fingers to fear but here I was utterly afraid of this. Afraid people would see me in a different light, or react differently to me or whatever. Just afraid. And fear eats you from inside so this is my over-reaction to that :)
    B. Seeing GAA players and ministers step up and challenge the stereotypes of the "sit-com limp wristed poodle carrier" helped me come to terms with myself. I didn't want to admit to myself I was gay because I genuinely didn't see a role model that I could identify with. They have helped me and I owe that forwards.

What a superb post. As someone who's not 'in' but not completely 'out' either, there's so much of it that resonates with me. The fear, the self loathing, the hoping you're not, is there anything that can be done about it, what will my friends and family think etc - all things I've experienced and am still experiencing to a certain extent. I don't think I would have told anyone if it wasn't for the marriage referendum, I had consigned myself to being permanently single.

Your reference to the "sit-com limp wristed poodle carrier" being a stereotype of gay people really struck a chord with me. When I was young (way before I realised what way I was wired), the only gay person I knew of was Shirley Temple Bar (who used to present Telly Bingo for anyone who remembers that). That made me think there was something seriously wrong with gay people. Then any other gay person I saw on TV or met in person was so different to your average lad, or at least what society expected men to be like. I couldn't relate to them at all. Despite the remarks other men make about us, I always found it easier to get on with straight lads, I always found I had more in common with them. There was certainly no 'normal' gay person, someone who was like any other 'normal' man and was into sport or other typical male interests. As some of my other posts show, I'm a massive car enthusiast, and even though I don't post there, I also love rugby and to a lesser extent have an interest in a variety of sports from snooker to GAA to tennis and I'll even watch a bit of cycling if it's on telly. I've no interest in the things gay men are supposed to be interested in, like the X-Factor, Eurovision, shopping and fashion. Not knowing of other gay men that were like straight men in every other way apart from orientation made it hard for me to come to terms with it.

Ursula Halligan's statement that for years she was the biggest homophobe going could just as easily apply to me, I was so shocked and ashamed and embarrassed of who I was that initially the way I dealt with it was to go out of my way to convince people I was straight, talking (as young straight men do) about whatever z-list celebrity had a nice ass etc etc, but that's how I felt at the time.

I'm only in my 20s but there's been a massive sea change in my lifetime, there was no way even if I was more sure of myself I would have come out in school, then college did have LGBT societies obviously and the attitude was very different, but I still couldn't deal with it, even though everyone who does it at a younger age will tell you college is the right time to come out. But seeing the way people talk about it now, and especially amongst older people saying 'what's the big deal' is brilliant.

That's why the marriage equality referendum was always so much more than just allowing us equal rights - it was about acceptance, it's about saying to people younger than me who are worried about it that there's really no need and everything will work out. And for older people as well, who've felt trapped and in an internal prison as Ursula Halligan put it.

When Dónal Óg Cusask came out, that was quite an eye opener for me. At last, there was someone that really was like any other man! He didn't act, walk or talk any differently to any other (straight) man and was into sport. It was something that made it a lot easier for me to deal with. That along with college allowed me get to the stage where I was comfortable with myself (even if I wasn't prepared to tell anyone) and if the topic ever turned to 'the gays' I'd have no hesitation in saying I favoured equal rights, but I wouldn't argue about it too much - but it was certainly an improvement on being anti-gay people.

Then others came out like Gareth Thomas, Neil Patrick Harris, Conor Cusack and if I hadn't known I wouldn't have guessed, because they were like other 'regular' guys. Obviously Leo Varadkar coming out was another big eye opener, I did wonder why he didn't have a girlfriend but thought no more of it. Even to this day, especially with people who don't know me that well, I will refer to myself in the third person rather than saying it straight out, but at least I'm much more comfortable in defending our rights and won't take crap from anyone who says anything that's anti-LGBT rights or anti-LGBT people.

Even though at times I found the marriage campaign incredibly frustrating and any time Paddy Manning was inclined to say anything it used to put me in such an almighty rage, I'm glad it happened, it's given the OP the courage to be true to yourself, and even though I'm not quite at that stage yet with everyone, I know it's going to be much easier to have that talk with those I haven't told yet. What I found most gratifying about the campaign was the amount of straight people that were prepared to campaign for our rights and believed in it.

Looking back on it, it's really, really horrible the stress and strain we have to go through, I don't think any straight person really understands or comprehends what a mindf*** it is when you discover that your sexuality is different to almost everyone else's. When people say 'sure don't they (we) have civil partnership' it's actually so belittling, I think at times homophobia is so 'normal' you don't even realise it until you face up to it. As more and more people have come out, and as I've met more LGBT people, I've grown up and am nowhere near as judgemental about people who do conform to the disparaging gay stereotypes as I was before. Plus, I've also discovered a lot of gay people aren't like the (negative) stereotypes at all.

Anyway, sorry for spoiling your thread DeVore with my own situation and writing a 'lonely hearts' post. I've wanted to get this off my chest for a very long time I guess and fair play to you for doing this - it's given me the courage to bear all and speak the truth. Even as recently as a few weeks ago in this forum I was still implying that I wasn't gay and talking about how happy I would be for ye when I meant me as much as the rest of ye. I'm looking forward to going to my first ever pride later on this year, I'll actually be able to enjoy it now (I'm sure there'll be plenty of hot blokes to get my motor running as well:D).

I'm also sorry if I've offended anyone with what I've said, we all suffer enough at times without people like me trying to put down others who may be camp or whatever, so I'm genuinely not trying to add insult to injury.

Finally, to anyone who may be reading this and thinking of coming out, don't think about it any longer - do it! You don't need to tell everyone (I didn't, and haven't and frankly won't tell some), it's quite anti-climatic, and it's not going to solve all of your life problems, but it is such a weight off your shoulders. You'll feel so much better about yourself no longer having the feelings of guilt, shame, suicide (in some cases) - it's so liberating.

I think there's still a major issue with the stereotypes that people have about being gay and I say this without even for a moment saying that being "camp" (detest that word) or butch (not a fan of that word either) and enjoying things that are a little stereotypical is in anyway negative either. In a lot of cases it's been the people who do stand out who have led the fight for gay rights and I have the utmost respect for that. It's just that there are huge numbers of us who don't fit that image of being gay.

Most gay and bi people out there aren't visible and that's not because we're in the closet it's because it's just not an obvious or defining feature that you'll notice unless you see a same sex partner or something like that.
    Most of us are gay in the same way straight people are straight - other than who we are attracted to, it's not something that you'd notice about us.

I get a bit fed up with terms like "straight acting" etc etc too. You shouldn't have to fake anything... Just be yourself.

The increasing visibility of gay people who are just getting on with normal life is essential. I'm very impressed with Ursula, Leo, the Cusaks and others - they've actually made a huge impact by showing people that gay people simply exist and are just the same spectrum of people as straight people.

Hopefully seeing that being gay only defines you in who you're attracted to will help more men and women figure out that you can be gay and that doesn't mean you've got to suddenly love trashy pop music or lesbian and suddenly lose interest in fashion!

Also I hope it liberates straight men to feel they can express themselves as a bit camper or straight women as a bit more "butch" if that's what their personality is like. I know a few straight lads who got homophobically bullied because they were into dance, theatre, and not rugby. I also know a woman who got similar abuse because she likes cars and sport. That's a sad reflection on where our society is at.

I'm hopeful that as being gay becomes a non issue that straight people will have the knock on effect of no longer having to "check themselves" either.

Homophobia is pretty toxic to everyone - gay or straight!

This is straying way off topic in some ways but I think it's relevant to the above:

I'd actually add to that one of the most shocking things I've ever witnessed (quite recently) was a woman I know in her 30s taking her daughter away from playing with Lego and toy tractors and preventing her from "rough housing" with her friends!!

She didn't have any interest in dolls or pink things but loved techie stuff, climbing, playing sports. Her mother was getting concerned because she was worried it might cause her to become a lesbian!!??

I had probably one of the longest *trying* to be polite arguments I've ever had with anyone!

The kid is really intelligent and was showing huge levels of creativity and she liked building things in 3D and all her idiotic parent could do is freak out because she wasn't playing with pink dollies!
    I've seen and experienced similar crap myself as a male growing up and it just made my blood boil!

Sadly ridiculous stereotype still exist and it's where I think homophobic ideas and sexism cross over.

As far as I'm concerned women or men can do anything they want and shouldn't be constrained by this kind of archaic nonsense and I'll always defend that right no matter whose sensibilities I offend. (I'm pretty sure I offended in this case too lol)

We've all been moulded by a very sexist and homophobic world when you think about it. It's just frightening that someone in her 30s in 2015 could still have those kinds of attitudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

SpaceTime wrote: »
    homophobic ideas and sexism cross over

So true. Sometimes I can't tell if people with such negative attitudes are more homophobic or sexist.

Aard wrote: »
    So true. Sometimes I can't tell if people with such negative attitudes are more homophobic or sexist.

Usually a bit of both and they often seem to be full of other prejudices too. Closed minds, fear of difference, lack of ability to see past dogmatic points of view.

As insulting as it'll sound, I usually see it as a major lack of both empathy and intellectual capacity.

It's often though a product of conditioning and that's where it's most destructive. Humans have a horrible history of shunning and dehumanising people they don't think are "one of us". It's a trait we need to watch out for because it crops up every once in a while with deadly consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Ruu wrote: »
    I feel like I should say sorry that it has been unsettling for you, you are human, just like me and it shouldn't ever have been this way. Hoping things get easier for you, even just a little bit. Live, love, give.

Wait, Ruubot is actually not a bot? Turing test fail...

On a serious note, glad to hear that you are happy enough in your own skin to he able to share this with us Dev, fair play.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"wow, you don't look gay" "you never acted gay" "I'd never have guessed".

These are some of the dumb things that well intentioned people say to me.

I've likened it to when Charlie Chaplain came third in a Charlie Chaplain look-a-like contest! I challenged one friend on it by tell him that what he was really saying was "I have such a warped view of what gay people are like, that I don't even recognise one when he's standing in front of me".

Three things I wanted to comment on about the recent posts

1. Please feel free to post anything you or anyone else thinks / wants to say about all of the topics being touched on. You aren't by any means "crashing my party"... its actually super cool to hear people say the things they have been saying in this thread.

2. I despised effeminate/camp people during my 20's and 30's. I felt like they presumed to represent the "gay community" and made it more difficult for me to identify or to tell anyone because the stereotypes were being reinforced. To an extent I still feel that way but:

3. I've come to admire people like Panti and others because they didn't have the soft option I had (which was to hide in plain sight). They stood up and fought to be who they were and unfortunately as a result gay people were portrayed as being exclusively like them. That's not their fault and they've done much of a trench-fighting in the war to be accepted. Its time others of us took up the slack and if we've been under-represented then all the more reason to step up and speak up.

Being "straight acting" isn't an act, I'm not being excessively butch as an over reaction... I'm me and that's that.... but in a funny way its a cruelty too. You hear every joke that lads would never say if there was a camp gay guy around. I cant tell you how many times I've seen an overtly gay guy leave a room or whatever and lads suddenly break out the "backs to the walls lads!" jokes. It isolated me even further because I would think "that's what they would say about you, if they knew". Now? Fnck em.... let them say what they like. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

• Advertisement

Hopefully things are changing and changing fast!

I've a feeling in 30 years time we'll be looking back on this much like the way we look back on the era when women couldn't vote in the early days of the 20th century and when sexism was acceptable in the 1970s.

Changing attitudes takes concerted effort and a lot of the time it's about reaching a tipping point in public opinion. On this issue, I think Ireland and quite a few other liberal-leaning countries reached that in the last while. I really don't think Ireland's been late to the party on this either, most countries still have major hang ups about LGBT issues, even the most liberal ones like NL and Sweden have minor issues under the surface.

All we can do is keep being open about everything. You make something taboo by treating it as such and you smash taboos by just simply breaking them and doing so publicly.

We're through the looking glass thanks to trail blazers like David Norris and Mary Robinson (who took a case against the state for those of you who might not be as familiar with Irish political history) to name but a few of those who really made big impacts in the earlier days here.

Honestly, I've massive respect for Panti ... Legendary campaigner at this stage!

This is about bringing as many people along as possible really, gay and straight. It's about human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

if we've been under-represented then all the more reason to step up and speak up.

Great line. Many non-camp gay guys have spoken out against camp gays, while stubbornly remaining in the closet.

Tbh though I think the world (or at least Ireland) is copping on to the idea that most gay guys are Just Like Them™.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The truth is that while the hide in plain sight gays like me could carry on we were actually the cowards. The courage and defiance and the battle came from the "camp" and the "butch" first. They proved that the dismissive stereotype is contemptible. They stood up and spoke out. They were themselves and gave the rest of us the courage to follow.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The truth is that while the hide in plain sight gays like me could carry on we were actually the cowards. The courage and defiance and the battle came from the "camp" and the "butch" first. They proved that the dismissive stereotype is contemptible. They stood up and spoke out. They were themselves and gave the rest of us the courage to follow.

To be honest, I wouldn't consider anyone a coward in this context.
    A lot of people didn't and don't hide anything but they just don't 'appear gay' (whatever it is that means). They can still be very out and open.

The other side of it is that a lot of people are simply not equipped to deal with this kind of stuff. It takes a pretty seriously strong personality, a degree of self-assuredness and probably a strong network to get out there and do some of those things.

Many people were convinced that they were completely alone, others were convinced that they were flawed or what they were was 'wrong' and ended up in spirals of self-hatred.

Other people simply do not have the type of personality that lends itself to being different or the centre of attention or striking out there on their own. A lot of the general population is like that and needs a lot of reassurance, support, sense that something's OK to do and that they have communal support before they do it.
    Stepping 'outside the herd' is something that a lot of humans simply find incredibly difficult to do. It's not because they're somehow 'weak', it's just because that's how many of us are hardwired.

Add to that the fact that a lot of gay, bi and trans people were extremely isolated and didn't think anyone else was out there going through exactly the same thing so they just bottled it up. They also felt (in the past often quite justifiably) that they would have their entire lives pulled out from under them if they did come out. That it might have meant loss of friends, family, job prospects, etc. For Irish school teachers it still does potentially mean loss of career prospects until new legislation comes in.

The problem with this is that gay people are every personality type, not just the extroverts who can handle this kind of thing. My concern is that for every extrovert who could deal with it, there are easily 10 introverts who couldn't and probably ended up with at best lives of stress and worry and at worst may not even have survived.

Same sex marriage actually provides a social framework in which to be gay at an institutional level. That's really, really important even if you never get married. It's a huge deal for a lot of people to know it's acceptable at the highest possible level in the state.

That's also why helping other people in the same situation out is so unbelievably important. If you're lucky enough to have a strong enough sense of self and an outgoing personality, I think it's definitely worth throwing your weight behind some of these things and being the support that helps (even someone really remote who you might never meet) to deal with their lives and be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Straight acting I find such a loaded term. Straight people can be camp and gay people can be macho.

But like stonewall I find it was the drag queens and extrovert camp that did most of the heavy lifting re gay rights especially in the early days

But we are all in this together and go forward prouder and stronger in our own sexuality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

"wow, you don't look gay" "you never acted gay" "I'd never have guessed".

These are some of the dumb things that well intentioned people say to me.

I've likened it to when Charlie Chaplain came third in a Charlie Chaplain look-a-like contest! I challenged one friend on it by tell him that what he was really saying was "I have such a warped view of what gay people are like, that I don't even recognise one when he's standing in front of me".

Three things I wanted to comment on about the recent posts

1. Please feel free to post anything you or anyone else thinks / wants to say about all of the topics being touched on. You aren't by any means "crashing my party"... its actually super cool to hear people say the things they have been saying in this thread.

2. I despised effeminate/camp people during my 20's and 30's. I felt like they presumed to represent the "gay community" and made it more difficult for me to identify or to tell anyone because the stereotypes were being reinforced. To an extent I still feel that way but:

3. I've come to admire people like Panti and others because they didn't have the soft option I had (which was to hide in plain sight). They stood up and fought to be who they were and unfortunately as a result gay people were portrayed as being exclusively like them. That's not their fault and they've done much of a trench-fighting in the war to be accepted. Its time others of us took up the slack and if we've been under-represented then all the more reason to step up and speak up.

Being "straight acting" isn't an act, I'm not being excessively butch as an over reaction... I'm me and that's that.... but in a funny way its a cruelty too. You hear every joke that lads would never say if there was a camp gay guy around. I cant tell you how many times I've seen an overtly gay guy leave a room or whatever and lads suddenly break out the "backs to the walls lads!" jokes. It isolated me even further because I would think "that's what they would say about you, if they knew". Now? Fnck em.... let them say what they like. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Great post.

Again, so much I agree with.

'Straight acting' certainly is a loaded term, I suppose I would fall into that category, but it's certainly not an 'act' - it's just who I am.

I got the 'you don't act gay' comments as well, and even though it's idiotic, at least it's helped change some peoples' minds about us. That's the thing, the more people who say it the more it changes perceptions (easier said than done I know, and as I've said before, I'm not telling everyone - not everyone has the right to know that information). When I told my brother he told me he had no idea and assumed I was socially inept with women because I'd never had a girlfriend or made any effort at trying to chat women up on a night out:D!

In one sense for those of us that don't 'act gay' we've had it easy, in another we haven't. On the one hand, people don't treat me personally differently, which is always a fear if everyone knows or it's obvious. I don't see why I should need to make a public service announcement about it in work or whatever, not everyone has the right to know. I also don't want to spring it on someone I've just met. So, not 'acting gay' is advantageous from that point of view.

On the other hand, as you've said, I've come across disparaging remarks about gay people from other men and sometimes women as well, I guess if I was more feminine or it was more obvious I wouldn't have had to hear some of the things I've heard.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a few personal things, just to convince those who are still in the closet not to spend any more time in there! Since I've come out, I've found the courage to join a few LGBT networking groups (there's a staff network where I work and there's another one in the city I'm living in that does everything from table quizzes to eating out etc etc), and it's made me feel even better and more sure of myself. I can honestly say I'm more confident, more talkative, and my outlook on life is just much more positive. It's just nice to be me.

The latter in particular is (mostly) full of people my own age and it just shows how far stereotypes and labels can be removed from the reality of life. It was nice to meet couples talking about all the kind of things straight couples talk about in terms of doing up their house, going to visit friends, introducing both sets of parents to one another. Boring stuff in one sense but so lovely to see couples happily together just like straight people do.

I suppose I always felt bad about being gay because I always thought gay men and women conformed to the stereotypes and I didn't want to be associated with those (perceived) negative traits. As I've said before, seeing the various well known faces coming out before and during the referendum has made me realise that there are plenty in the community not like the negative ones.

Joining these groups as well as being an excuse to meet new people has made me realise it's not just gay celebrities that don't conform - it's actually most LGBT people I've met. They're not any different to your average straight person - but then again we're not different, we're just human beings like everyone else. And even if someone is stereotypical, so bloody what?

Advertisement