Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

DeVore, I've only really known you on and off through boards.ie for 15 years now. You've been one of the strongest minds I've ever encountered and a real inspiration. I have no doubt that this will add to the inspiration you give to all communities you are involved in.

Thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NoAlarms

DeVore, I'm delighted for you..

I'm still new here..your responses to me were amazing..blown away by the kindness of a stranger, it will stay with me always..

This is about you..and thank you..the world deserves you and is better for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

How can we be sure this post is true this is the internet - JFK - 2016

But in fairness, fair play to ya Dev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Your first post in the LGBT forum since 1998, OP?

If so, that's a pretty good poker face you've got! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So what. *

* posted from the hopefully-not-to-distant-future. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fair play for coming out! :) Though who'd have thought this poster would prove to be so prophetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Best of luck OP :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Delighted for you that you are living true to yourself! :D
    DeVore wrote: »
    Coming out has been... unsettling... but this weekend made it a lot (LOT) easier.
    I think people need to read both halves of that sentence and take it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Fair play chuh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

I think people need to read both halves of that sentence and take it in.
    Mmm, when you take it in whole, it really sinks in and pounds the point home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

As long as you're happy in yourself T, it won't affect my feelings regarding about you or the other Mountjoy Square 4 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fair play! Come on out the water's fine!

Coming out? I dunno... seems a bit gay to me.

:p

Seriously though, fair play Devore. Can't be too easy (even after the Yes vote).

Although I'm personally the type of person that doesn't care who's gay or straight as it'll never affect me, I do know there are a lot of people out there who'd take it as a big thing and can make it quite uncomfortable.

So hat's off to you, man. Hopefully it won't have any negative impact at all on you. I think most people's attitude to gay/lesbian people is more of an indifference these days? (but I could well be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think most people's attitude to gay/lesbian people is more of an indifference these days? (but I could well be wrong).

Not as often as you'd think. A lot of people will still ask all sorts of personal questions that just seem to be fair game to ask of a gay guy, that they'd never ask a straight guy.

Also, it really depends on where you're located too. South Dublin? Sure, you can live your whole life fairly openly and nobody will care really. From my experience in rural Munster.... there's a lot of things you'll hide.

And even though things are fairly good now, don't forget that a lot of gay people would have been bullied or ostracised in school if they came out. Others would have lived a secret life until their 30s, 40s, 50s.... Others will never have come out. Looking into the future, it's certainly bright when it comes to living as a gay person where society doesn't make a song and dance about it any more, though for a lot of people the scars of the past are still healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Congrats Tom. It's a shame you didn't feel comfortable making the statement until now but that's understandable. Ireland has taken its time to come out of a frankly dark place and is moving forward to a point in time where the only thing that matters to people is whether you're sound or not.

Sexual orientation, religion etc...... no-one really cares about that anymore, it's not what makes you, well you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

Very good. Well done.

Boards.ie played a pivotal role in my own coming out story so thanks to you too.

ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Congrats on coming out. Its not an easy process, but it is so ****ing worth it.

Hope you were able to join in the party on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I've been a user of this site for many years now, it is a wonderful resource and social platform.

In all that time the question of other users' sex or sexuality never really crossed my mind, but it speaks volumes about the culture that is boards.ie

Thank you for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

So great to know that voting yes has done so much more than allow same-sex couples to marry, but that people feel more accepted in the community as a whole! :D

Although I can honestly say I never suspected. I always assumed you'd marry Josh :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ow. My head (still) hurts.

I sat my folks down yesterday and had "that talk" with them. They're dyed-in-the-wool Catholics but they also have been compassionate and supportive in everything I've ever done and they weren't different yesterday. Its going to take time to fully adjust but they both just want me to be happy.

So, to answer some of the points raised here:

1. Why me? I guess because Boards is my home, this is the site I started and if anything has spanned my life and will be considered a "legacy" I guess its boards. I cant tell you how many times I've wanted to rant about something on this forum but didn't. I held back because I was afraid and I don't like that. I don't care for the feeling at all. I'm not someone who typically is scared to strike out on his own but this thing had knocked me into a cocked hat all of my life. It feels good, but also weird and a bit scary to beat it finally. Its a leap of faith I guess.
    I like to think of myself as being a guy who will say whats true and use that truth as armour. I love the Captain America quote "Your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, No, *you* move." But here I was cowering away from this and inventing all sorts of reasons (perfectly plausible reasons) why it was no one elses business or that I was protecting my family etc. But that's not true, I was afraid and for no good reason. I'm not going to be afraid any more.

2. Why now? Because this weekend was the first time in my entire life that I felt proud, not "unashamed", actual pride in who I am and I walked a little taller telling friends in town on Sat night. Watching Panti walk from Dublin Castle to her bar, the route lined with applauding, cheering people was incredible. I told mates in the pub and they made me feel like it was my night. I'm not sure I could have done this on any other night, it took this much to push me over the line.

3. Why? As someone said above, there are things asked of gay men's private life that would get you a slap in the gob if you asked straight people. I shouldn't *HAVE* to come out. No one should. Its no one elses business. Its a weird situation we find ourselves socially in. I'm happy to report that there were NO instances of anyone acting weird around me afterwards.... but then I'm 45, my friends are friends for life. There is a selection bias in that... I wouldn't last two seconds with someone who was prejudiced about anything so there's that.
    I wanted to post this publically for two reasons.
    A. F*ck fear. I've spent a lot of my life giving the two fingers to fear but here I was utterly afraid of this. Afraid people would see me in a different light, or react differently to me or whatever. Just afraid. And fear eats you from inside so this is my over-reaction to that :)
    B. Seeing GAA players and ministers step up and challenge the stereotypes of the "sit-com limp wristed poodle carrier" helped me come to terms with myself. I didn't want to admit to myself I was gay because I genuinely didn't see a role model that I could identify with. They have helped me and I owe that forwards.

Some more light hearted elements... Male friends seemed to go through a specific set of reactions, at varying speeds but pretty much always the same stages. Surprise. Re-establishment of understanding. Re-establishment of boundaries. Re-evaluation of stereotypes. Settling. Jokes.

So it kinda goes like
    Me: "I want to let you know... I'm gay".
    "Jesus... are you serious?"
    <pause>
    "You know I'm not , right?"
    <pause>
    "You don't fancy me, do you?!"
    <pause>
    "Wow... I would never have guessed / You don't act gay!"
    <pause>
    <pause>
    <pause>

"Sooo... eh... whats cock taste like?" "FnCK YOU!" "Hahahahahah"

This happens at various speeds with various people. Some skip certain sections or don't voice them, others take a good while to move on. Mostly this WASNT a journey for me, mostly I sat beside friends waiting for them to get to the jokes stage. It was more like sheparding than any great revelation for me. That was kinda surprising but I guess I've had 45 years to deal with it and I've just sprung it on them!

I've also learned that no matter HOW hetro your friend is, no matter HOW womenising and red blooded they are... the answer to the question "you don't fancy me do you?" that they are looking for is emphatically NOT "You???!! Jesus, fnck NO!". :)
    Take it from me :)

I was watching an Ireland vs Italy football match with a Dutch friend and we were talking about his family who I'm very fond of. I decided to slip it in by saying "well, in this context I'd be pulling on an Italian shirt". We were both watching the screen intently "Oh, hmm, yeah <bad sliding tackling takes out an Irish player> REFEREEEE!??!". I figured maybe he hadn't quite copped my meaning so I asked him. "No, I got it...... <shrug> ... Okay." Back to pints and footie. I thought to myself, this is right... why cant it be like this all the time, for everyone.

In conclusion, I would really like my private life to go back to being my private life, but while there are still people being scared and afraid and hiding who they are like I have done for 45 years, then maybe it needs to be said aloud.
    I've never gone to a Pride march. I have had my issues with the whole ostentatious overt extremity of it at times.... This weekend has changed a lot of my views on things and shown me that mass support really matters, role models really matter, reclaiming your identity matters. I look forward to my first pride march next month.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain" - Litany Against Fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Aw Devore! Really happy that you've come out on Boards and I hope you're delighted with the response.

I suppose all the signs were there; kind, compassionate, generous, charitable and you love dogs. Obvious really.

xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Well done DeVore and all the best for your future happiness!

One thing that does strike me though, is your explanation to your male friends that you didn't fancy them - I've had male and female friends let me know that they were gay, and never once have I considered asking either sex if they ever thought I fancied them or if they fancied me!! I mean, that's another one to add to the list of "you wouldn't ask your straight friend this, would you":

Male Friend: Hey, I'm getting married to <girl>
    ME: Oh, you fancy girls (pause). Hey, you don't fancy ME do you!!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ah good stuff Tom!

Its been great to see aunts and uncles and friends celebrating over the last few days. Many of whom are abroad now because openly being who they were was not possible for them here when they were younger.

I hope you are walking that bit taller this week than last!!

all the best and gg!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Congrats Dev.

I'm not gonna lie though. When I saw the thread title and who it was by I thought "Wow, I don't know what the boards version of frape is, but someone just got DeVore" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 orlaithmum

Hey Tom,

Great to see your move to the lone star state is being so well received, good on ya ;-)

Now, when can I buy a new hat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Coming out, is it a bit like Communion, Weddings or bar mitzvah ... do we have to give you money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Geniass wrote: »
    Coming out, is it a bit like Communion, Weddings or bar mitzvah ... do we have to give you money?

This really should be a thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

DeVore wrote: »
    I've also learned that no matter HOW hetro your friend is, no matter HOW womenising and red blooded they are... the answer to the question "you don't fancy me do you?" that they are looking for is emphatically NOT "You???!! Jesus, fnck NO!". :)
    Take it from me :)

Last time I had a girlfriend, she had to spend one NY abroad.
    Some of my friends (mix of straight and gay) were going to a gay bar (not the George, can't remember the name) and I decided to tag along, since pulling was off the cards.

I had all my polite refusals prepared and ready to go, to ward off all the gay men coming on to me.

Not

a

One. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So basicallly DeVore is saying that my plan to fcuk my way to the top of the boards hierarchy is doomed to failure?

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Not

a

One. :(

Straightdar

Advertisement