Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Pass being Scanned on Bus Eireann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I was amazed yesterday when here in Waterford city the bus driver took my card and scanned it. He put it down flat on something in front of him to be scanned. Seemed like it was on top of ticket machine but not sure.

Anyway I'm impressed.

1. Has this been rolled out in Dublin or elsewhere.
    2. What information is collected or given to the driver or is it just a numbers count.

This is across the board and went live in Dublin a few weeks back .
    I believe there tracking number and usage but id wait for one of our the bus driver posters to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Why the FTP was never integrated with Leap is one of life's great mysteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It's on Dublin Bus for sure. I never use BE in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I was amazed yesterday when here in Waterford city the bus driver took my card and scanned it. He put it down flat on something in front of him to be scanned. Seemed like it was on top of ticket machine but not sure.

Anyway I'm impressed.

2. What information is collected or given to the driver or is it just a numbers count.

The SmartCard FTP system is now live on Dublin Bus services.

The Information available to the Busdriver relates to the Type of FTP entitlement.,ie: Personal,or with Spouse or Partner entitlement.
    The expiry date of the FTP entitlement.
    The Status of the Card,ie OK or Blocked.

The FTP card roll-out is now progressing ahead of target,with date for the annulment of the old Cardboard Free Travel Passes being brought somewhat nearer mid Q4 2016.

One of the surprising elements for me,has been the enthusiasm shown by the OAP FTP holders,the majority of whom have been very keen to use the new system since Day 1.

Most legitimate FTP holders recognize only too well the reality of their entitlement being protected into the future by the ability to,at last,sideline the fraudsters and wide-boy's who had brought the old Free Travel Scheme to the brink of collapse.

Long overdue and very welcome :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

n97 mini wrote: »
    Why the FTP was never integrated with Leap is one of life's great mysteries.

The new social security card includes a leap application loaded with the appropriate free travel entitlement if available. The Leap infrastructure handles the rest including the blocking of a card if lost or stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Will the movement of FTP users now be monitored?

Is it being done on long distance Bus Eireann journeys?

Aard wrote: »
    Will the movement of FTP users now be monitored?

Other than baseline data of an FTP user boarding a specific service,and the status of that FTP card,no other information is currently used.

Given that there is no requirement to scan/tag OFF,the duration of that specific journey is not known.

However,the new FTP scheme will doubtless give something new for those who see The Evil State interfering in their freedom,to complain about.

This fear can be circumvented successfully by NOT availing of the Free Travel Scheme,and instead paying a cash fare.....Problem Solved ;)

Before anybody leaps up to give out about this...

I am personally aware of people who have refused to take up their 32 County Free Travel Entitlement because it entails applying for,and utilising,a chipped SmartPass issued by Her Majesty's Government,and so continue to pay a supplement for 6 County Travel.

There is NO State Provided system anywhere which can suit EVERYBODY.....there will ALWAYS be individuals whose beliefs, however unfounded they may be,outweigh commonsense.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I suppose what I mean is, will people's movements be monitored for "unusual" patterns (daily commuting, that type of thing) and subsequently investigated? Or is the data gathering merely to know that DublinBus carried x% FT passengers in a given year and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The Information available to the Busdriver
    Is it the driver's validator that's used. I saw on a post on Boards that people were using them on the RH validator. Using this means anyone could use it.
    Using the bus driver to check the pass will dramatically reduce fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Is it the driver's validator that's used. I saw on a post on Boards that people were using them on the RH validator. Using this means anyone could use it.
    Using the bus driver to check the pass will dramatically reduce fraud.

RH validator is used. Seen drivers telling people to use this instead. Gives the driver the same details.

RH validator is used. Seen drivers telling people to use this instead. Gives the driver the same details.

When I'm using mine, how does the driver know that I am the authorised pass holder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Gael23 wrote: »
    When I'm using mine, how does the driver know that I am the authorised pass holder?

Can't answer that tbh. Maybe someone in the know could fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Leap and the operators know nothing beyond the number of the card, this is a unique number and isn’t your PPSN.

So If the DSFA have an inquiry they can ask Leap to provide a record of travel for a specific card. Nothing stopping them getting a dump of all usage for a period, after all the DSFA are paying

In NI there certainly have been cases of investigation where the usage levels of a card were considered abnormal

On Dublin Bus when the RH validator is used a message is shown on the drivers TGX 150 showing the ticket type

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aard wrote: »
    I suppose what I mean is, will people's movements be monitored for "unusual" patterns (daily commuting, that type of thing) and subsequently investigated? Or is the data gathering merely to know that DublinBus carried x% FT passengers in a given year and the likes?

Lots of older people do travel every day, some to jobs, others to show, pubs etc. I suspect that some on disability would do the same. Nothing untoward about that.

Could be an interesting monitoring tool for keeping an eye on the welfare of older people who live alone, though: if someone was travelling every day and then suddenly stops, maybe they're sick or injured etc and a phone call might be in order.

And I'd imagine the guards might occasionally find it helpful to have a list of who caught which bus, incomplete though it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Can't answer that tbh. Maybe someone in the know could fill in.
    The driver has no way of knowing unless they ask to see the card and examine the picture on it.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The driver has no way of knowing unless they ask to see the card and examine the picture on it.

That's what I thought. Im 24 and have one due to a disability, which isn't clearly obvious by looking at me but I still don't have to show the driver my pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

That's what I thought. Im 24 and have one due to a disability, which isn't clearly obvious by looking at me but I still don't have to show the driver my pass.

Sounds like the driver(s) know you from when you first presented the pass and just waves you on but that is bad practice as your pass could be out of date etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

FTP works like the following....

FT - P is personal only(card holder only permitted travel)

FT - S is for Spouse, civil partner or cohabitant

FT - C is a companion pass and permits anyone over 16 to accompany the pass holder.

For personal(card holder only) you place card on validator to right of door.

If S or C type and you are looking to bring along another on your pass you must place card on drivers ticket machine and state you are travelling with a companion or partner/spouse etc..

If all of the above are travelling alone then use validator to the right at door and place there till you get a single beep and green/
    orange light, if it beeps 4 times and red light shows it did not work and place it up again without moving the card.

The driver will press Social welfare button and then another screen will pop up with a confirmation of type of pass and is it correct that the person is allowed to accompany the pass holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FT - S is for Spouse, civil partner or cohabitant

FT - C is a companion pass and permits anyone over 16 to accompany the pass holder.

what is the practical difference between these - do you have to bring along a marriage cert for the first one?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    what is the practical difference between these - do you have to bring along a marriage cert for the first one?

No but if you do happen to be checked by an inspector they can call the social and check.

Companion pass is set up for those that can't travel alone or need assistance but this isn't how most use them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

loyatemu wrote: »

No but I'm sure it only covers your spouse or named co habitant if checked the old paper ones were supposed to be signed by your spouse /co habitant .
    Where alot of people would say this mate or that mate is covered

Gatling wrote: »
    No but I'm sure it only covers your spouse or named co habitant if checked the old paper ones were supposed to be signed by your spouse /co habitant .
    Where alot of people would say this mate or that mate is covered

That is still going on and showing a social services card not for travel they have all sorts of tricks.
    New card won't stop this but they will have to go to driver and ask so hopefully make it harder.

The Driver does'nt need to know you are anybody.....once the Validator recognises a valid FTP that's all that's required.

If you are bringing a Spouse/Companion then the FTP Card must be presented on the Drivers Machine,which increases the chances of a chancer being caught.

With the increased Revenue Protection regime now in the final stages of deployment,the checking of FTP's and all other tickets will be far more widespread.

Dublin Bus Passengers will soon begin to notice a significant increase in Ticket Checking,all of which...totally coincidentally...;)... dovetails nicely with the new FTP Card introduction.

You can now use your FTP,in a wallet or purse if suitable,to anonymously validate in the same manner as a ordinary LeapCard passenger...nobody has to know what kind of Card you are presenting...Just wait for the Beep & Green Light and walk on :)

That is still going on and showing a social services card not for travel they have all sorts of tricks.
    New card won't stop this but they will have to go to driver and ask so hopefully make it harder.

With the ongoing roll-out of the ordinary NON Free Travel Social Services Card,to every citizen in the State,the Spouses own DSP Card will be matched to the FTP Holders for Identification Purposes,so an Inspector would merely verify the spouse ID via their own DSP Card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Anyway I'm impressed.

It can spot a fake.[pass] It records where you got on, the numbers of passangers using that service , the identity of the driver, the route, the date/ time and the zero fare if any. [ a lot of information
    ]

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The Driver does'nt need to know you are anybody.....once the Validator recognises a valid FTP that's all that's required.

I don't get this, if that is the case then I could give my 'valid' card to someone else and they could use it.

I thought the Photo of the holder on the card was the main security advantage. They could have made it bigger instead of postage stamp size for drivers to see it clearly.

Their called Public Services Card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

I don't get this, if that is the case then I could give my 'valid' card to someone else and they could use it.

I thought the Photo of the holder on the card was the main security advantage. They could have made it bigger instead of postage stamp size for drivers to see it clearly.

Their called Public Services Card now.

The drivers job is to drive the bus and operate the doors, it's not to validate the identity of their passengers. Should they also check the photos of all the monthly and annual ticket holders too? Nope, that's what RPU are there for.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    The drivers job is to drive the bus and operate the doors, it's not to validate the identity of their passengers. Should they also check the photos of all the monthly and annual ticket holders too? Nope, that's what RPU are there for.

aw got ya now, I often wondered how the poor drivers were expected to cope with all this, god knows they have their hands full just driving the bus and taking fares.

Who are RPU, (inspectors I'm guessing) are they a private company contracted by c.i.e. or are they apart of the group.

Advertisement