Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    You are traffic.

Whether you're on foot, a pedal bike, a motorbike or in a motorized vehicle.

Or posting to a website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Any chance of the works being completed by next weekend?
    Otteress says, NO.

When is the last sighting of a garda enforcing the ' no right lane into left lane' at Fairgreen Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

You are traffic.

Your mam is traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Otteress says, NO.

Last Friday at 17:45

• Advertisement

When is the last sighting of a garda enforcing the ' no right lane into left lane' at Fairgreen Rd?

Last Friday at 17:45

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/227/59/Lough-Atalia-Bridge-Road-Lowering-Update---26th-May/
    "
    The roadworks under Lough Atalia Railway Bridge are nearing completion and barring unforeseen circumstances we expect that the works will be substantially complete on Friday Night 29th May allowing the road to be reopened to all traffic.
    The temporary traffic management arrangements that have been put in place for the duration of the works, including a ban on two right turns at Moneenageisha junction, and a one-way system on Lough Atalia Road, Fairgreen Road and College Road have worked reasonably well in minimising congestion at the junctions of Lough Atalia Road / College Road and Moneenageisha Junction. During this time Galway City Council has received a number of suggestions that these arrangements should remain in place on a permanent basis when the bridge works are completed.
    Galway City Council believe that there is merit in taking the opportunity which now presents itself to trial the 1-way system when the Lough Atalia Road is re-opened under the railway bridge and determine the impacts in terms of traffic flow on the city road network, congestion, and impact on all road users and on local residents and businesses.
    Galway City Council therefore intend to leave the one-way temporary traffic management arrangements and the right turn ban at Moneenageisha Junction in place for a period of 3 weeks after the Lough Atalia Road has re-opened under the railway bridge.
    "

No mention if they are to re-install all the pedestrian crossings that have been removed during this 3 week period?

"Galway City Council has received a number of suggestions"
    From whom..?

Iwannahurl was right. Council wanted a one-way in place some years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

From whom..?

Well me for a start and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

From whom..?

Exactly.
    Were is the Road Safety Audit for this new proposal? Can't see how residents along either road will be happy. Traffic speeds at off peak times have increased dramatically since the one-way system has been introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

From whom..?

Well the Advertiser and their facebook followers seem in favor.
    https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser/posts/10153334599506941

I remember it being proposed a few years ago, it was part of the rapid bus transport system.
    Of course it had an inbound bus lane on lough atalia and outbound on college road.

How can this be a genuine trail if the pedestrian crossings that have been removed are not reinstalled during this 3 week period?
    Currently there are no proper crossings at Fairgreen/College Rd, College Rd/Lough Atalia Rd and Fairgreen Rd/Lough Atalia Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No harm trialling it but they'd want to put in a few pedestrian crossings too. Think it's been working better than expected, apart from the whole late-merge scandal :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do we have any final statistics in relation to incidents of manslaughter directly related to merging at the Radisson yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do we have any final statistics in relation to incidents of manslaughter directly related to merging at the Radisson yet?

It's not manslaughter. It's justifiable homicide. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A Galway group has been carrying out spot-checks on Lough Atalia recently and found some traffic traveling at 70-80km/h, with a few instances of almost 100 km/h. Better enforcement needed from the council. Turning a blind eye no doubt so far for the most part, as it's 'only temporary' - that won't fly anymore that they're extending it purely on the basis of it being beyond temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Is this proposing the one way is extended under the bridge all the way down to dock Road or 2 way under the bridge with people coming from the harbour having to turn up fairgreen Road?

Folks - it ain't going to happen. The 3 weeks trial is just for Snag's in case they have to close bridge under the road. :D
    The whole Harbour proposed redevelopment plans was based on HGV traffic using Lough Atalia road. This initself is questionable but sending HGV Tipper trucks, Artic Oil Tanker's on a road that splits a public train and bus station and a private bus station is not going to work.

A Galway group has been carrying out spot-checks on Lough Atalia recently and found some traffic traveling at 70-80km/h, with a few instances of almost 100 km/h. Better enforcement needed from the council. Turning a blind eye no doubt so far for the most part, as it's 'only temporary' - that won't fly anymore that they're extending it purely on the basis of it being beyond temporary.

Am interested in this as I actually experience this speeding when cycling along Lough Atalia - having car's overtake at 90km on a city street is awful. Do you have a link to the study?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

dloob wrote: »
    Well the Advertiser and their facebook followers seem in favor.
    I'd be in favour too if it incorporates this:
    dloob wrote: »
    an inbound bus lane on lough atalia and outbound on college road.

• Advertisement

Does anybody really think City Hall is going to make the road outside of their offices a One Way? Not a hope.
    They would not then be able to drive into town along College Rd for lunch!:D

Folks - it ain't going to happen. The 3 weeks trial is just for Snag's in case they have to close bridge under the road. :D
    The whole Harbour proposed redevelopment plans was based on HGV traffic using Lough Atalia road. This initself is questionable but sending HGV Tipper trucks, Artic Oil Tanker's on a road that splits a public train and bus station and a private bus station is not going to work.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I suspect they might be using this as an opportunity to validate some of the models that are being used to research a certain project that is taboo on this forum.

Something ridiculous came into my head today and is somewhat linked to this project.

I don't want to mention the "C" word but its something I've been thinking about a lot in recent days as I have a friend who came off a bike when cycling in traffic.

Why is there is a big deal about cyclists using footpaths in and out of town and why is't more done to:
    1. Seperate cyclists and motorists (either by making some footpaths open to cyclists - I am talking about the main access routes here or adding in a few feet to the footpath in areas like along the loughatalia road where there is space on the sea side for a cycle path.
    Would be a drop in the ocean costs wise compared to the work that is just wrapping up on LA.

kippy wrote: »
    Something ridiculous came into my head today and is somewhat linked to this project.

I don't want to mention the "C" word but its something I've been thinking about a lot in recent days as I have a friend who came off a bike when cycling in traffic.

Why is there is a big deal about cyclists using footpaths in and out of town and why is't more done to:
    1. Seperate cyclists and motorists (either by making some footpaths open to cyclists - I am talking about the main access routes here or adding in a few feet to the footpath in areas like along the loughatalia road where there is space on the sea side for a cycle path.
    Would be a drop in the ocean costs wise compared to the work that is just wrapping up on LA.

Short version, incidents like this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cyclist-who-knocked-down-threeyearold-girl-says-his-life-has-been-destroyed-10274249.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

I didn't think if like this one way idea, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I would leave a dedicated bus lane on both roads.

One problem though is that traffic outbound from the docks and traffic inbound from lough atalia will have to cross over each other along the road at the radisson, where so much pent-up road rage had been unleashed for the last 8 weeks!!

The sea side footpath of lough atalia could be made into a dedicated cycle lane with pedestrian traffic on the buildings side.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, I suspect they might be using this as an opportunity to validate some of the models that are being used to research a certain project that is taboo on this forum.

I was only messing. No the big draw back is routing all the HGV Fuel tankers, 5 AXEL Artics and the like down Fairgreen Road(Sure the Tourists love that kind of thing) and then up via College Rd. Can't see how it could pass a modern Road Safety Audit?
    Do we want to avoid something like this happening in Galway City Centre?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/almost-75-of-cyclists-killed-in-dublin-were-hit-by-hgvs-turning-left-1.696987

I was only messing. No the big draw back is routing all the HGV Fuel tankers, 5 AXEL Artics and the like down Fairgreen Road(Sure the Tourists love that kind of thing) and then up via College Rd. Can't see how it could pass a modern Road Safety Audit?

A safety audit would be concerned with things like appropriate sight lines, crossing points and and turning radius. The squeamishness of serial objectors is not a valid concern.

I'm not sure how relevant that is to be honest - he could have knocked her down on the road as she was crossing etc etc
    Granted there is a risk there but surely there are risks there with the current situation.

Stick a bit onto the footpath on the lough atalia side and make that a cycle path for people coming in an out of town from that side.

A safety audit would be concerned with things like appropriate sight lines, crossing points and and turning radius.

Exactly, thanks for confirming that. That's why one needs to be done here.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how relevant that is to be honest - he could have knocked her down on the road as she was crossing etc etc
    Granted there is a risk there but surely there are risks there with the current situation.

It happened on a path, so it's relevant.

There was a woman that should have been clearly visible beside the car (the cyclist was close to the wall, so it's likely that he swerved to avoid here), so he should not have been travelling anywhere near that fast.

That said, if the woman had closed the gate behind her, the child wouldn't have gotten knocked down (that's not an attempt to absolve the cyclist of blame, the child ran out through an open gate).
    Stick a bit onto the footpath on the lough atalia side and make that a cycle path for people coming in an out of town from that side.

I don't know about you but I hate contra flow cycle lanes (one of the reasons I always went with traffic on the QB), because it has always felt like it won't take much for me to be smeared across the front of a bus/car/van/truck.

There needs to be some separation for contra flow cycle lanes (1m minimum, 2m better).

Advertisement