Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piece on Cyclists on Prime Time RTE 1 9.35PM - Mod warning see OP/post 102

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi all, there's a special on cyclists tonight on Prime Time RTE 1 at 9.35pm - think a special on Aer Lingus is on first though....for anyone interested!

Mod warning (quoted from post 102):
    Beasty wrote: »
    Final warning - no more helmet discussion in this thread. Use the helmet megathread (which is linked from the Charter/FAQ sticky)

Any questions, PM me - do not respond in thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

They will be discussing the plight of cyclists (whatever that means) on Prime Time on RTE One starting in a few minutes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Teaser intro says it is covering “growing war between cyclists and motorists”

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

IF you value your sanity, don't watch this

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Diarmuid wrote: »
    IF you value your sanity
    Gave up on that when I started track racing .....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pretty damning so far.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Pretty damning so far.

Pretty damning on who:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pretty damning so far.

Not watching. Damning who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

That Guard was sound. More like that please.

Pretty damning on who:confused:
    Oryx wrote: »

Pretty damning against the concept of cycling in Dublin in the current context of the city. And pretty damning on the behaviour of a minority of cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oryx wrote: »

Cyclists on footpaths / breaking red lights / wrong way up one-way streets

Usual stuff they deny they do but do all the time

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cyclists on footpaths / breaking red lights / wrong way up one-way streets

Usual stuff they deny they do but do all the time

Who is they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Pretty damning against the concept of cycling in Dublin in the current context of the city. And pretty damning on the behaviour of a minority of cyclists people in cars, trucks and buses.

Fixed your post for you!

So, in conclusion, Hi viz jackets are no protection. Someone tell the RSA and the Gardai

And pretty damning on the behaviour of a minority of cyclists.
    No-one (on here anyway) denies there are a significant minority of cyclists who don't seem to give a damn about the safety of themselves or others. On the issue of safety in Dublin - they keep harping back to the 12 deaths (across the country) last year , compared to 5 the year before, conveniently overlooking that the figure for this year to date is 2. I certainly don't want to downplay the dangers of getting in the blind spots of drivers, but generally cycling is a lot safer than a lot of people seem to think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I thought the lack of infrastructure was well presented, they should have mentioned that a lot if the times the cycle path is the foot path and that needs to change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Now watching mean streets.. Good man Rocko! (Bicycle courier)

tampopo wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you!

So, in conclusion, Hi viz jackets are no protection. Someone tell the RSA and the Gardai

Cars / trucks / buses

So there was no commentary on cyclist behaviour in the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Cars / trucks / buses

So there was no commentary on cyclist behaviour in the program?

Oh there was, there was. Including the piece on a "very careful, hi viz jacket wearing, rules of the road obeying" cyclist.

They interviewed his wife, as he was killed by a truck going over him, poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Prime Time did a special like this a few years ago, very heavy on the helmet cam footage. That pretty much said Dublin is too dangerous for cycling. Not big on stats, just footage. I couldn't be bothered watching this one.

I did see monument's tweet about their claim that Dublin City Centre is the most dangerous place to cycle, which, as he points out, it definitely isn't. In terms of fatalities per journey or per km travelled, it's pretty much the safest. But, as I said, stats not their long suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I thought it was fair enough, obviously the camera doesn't lie and there was wrong on both sides in the clips they featured. What was shown will come as no surprise to regular commuters, I'm quite used to being "cut up" on my trip to work.
    I must agree with what the guard said awareness of your surroundings and anticipation can go a long way to saving injuries and lives. Part of the problem was the influx of cyclists, partly due to the ctw scheme and the infrastructure simply wasn't in place. So no quick fix in place.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    Who is they?

They, is many cyclists.

obviously the camera doesn't lie

250px-Cottingley_Fairies_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's astonishing to see the numbers of cyclists - the majority of those shown on the Prime Time report, for example - who still refuse to wear helmets. It ought to be made compulsory to do so, as it is for motorists to wear seat belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's astonishing to see the numbers of cyclists - the majority of those shown on the Prime Time report, for example - who still refuse to wear helmets. It ought to be made compulsory to do so, as it is for motorists to wear seat belts.

Yeah it should be compulsory for cyclists to wear helmets like it is for motorists and pedestrians to wear helmets. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They, is many cyclists.

How many?

Watching The Departed.

On the issue of safety in Dublin - they keep harping back to the 12 deaths (across the country) last year , compared to 5 the year before, conveniently overlooking that the figure for this year to date is 2.

Bit like that horrific spate of deaths in London in the not so decent past. I remember Andrew Gilligan being slated for predicting that there would be regression to the mean (probably not the best time to bring it up, during the spate), but he was right. That high number last year does seem to be an anomaly among a run of otherwise good years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

It was a strange report without any discussion. If I didn't already commute by bike it would have frightened me into not starting. I suppose it was good that it highlighted the crazy setup with regards bike lanes.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Please see the Charter/FAQs for a link to the forum megathread on helmets. Please read that thread and contribute there if you wish to discuss helmet use

Any questions, PM me - do not respond in-thread

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Difficult not to believe their timing has nothing to do with Bike Week next month?

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    How many?

Watching The Departed.

They must have shown 20 examples, usual stuff you would see each day in Dublin town.

Advertisement