Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

What do you guys make of Beckham?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

What do you guys make of Beckham?

I'm glad we drafted a weapon for Eli so I won't be too critical. I was very excited last night (simply because it was not Zach Martin)

His height (under 6ft) would be a concern if we plan on playing him outside. He also teste well in the 40 at the combine but he doesn't appear to be that burner on tape.

He is very polished as a router runner by all accounts and he is a superb punt/kick returner.

If we add a big Red-Zone target like Seferian Jenkins or Fiederowicz in the next couple of rounds it could be a very effective pick.

Overall I'm happy with it (my delight from last night has gave way to reality & tiredness) but I don't think he will be that No.1 guy like Mike Evans, Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Don't know Beckham in depth, but happy to have an exciting offensive pick. We needed a replacement for Nicks. Now need a bit of work on OL and possibly TE.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Giants just selected Weston Richburg 43rd overall with their second round pick. Great pick out of Colorado State. Offensive line needed serious help, and the Giants have just taken the best center available (and first off the board). Good center to build the o-line around. Eli should be happy!

tgdaly wrote: »
    Giants just selected Weston Richburg 43rd overall with their second round pick. Great pick out of Colorado State. Offensive line needed serious help, and the Giants have just taken the best center available (and first off the board). Good center to build the o-line around. Eli should be happy!

Yea Richburg is def the best centre in the draft and a badly needed pick up as relying on Walton would have been crazy. Richburg is one of those start him and forget about the position for 10 years players.

Reese has done a very good job so far. CJ Fiedorowicz is the 3rd would cap it off nicely but could see us going DE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

happy enough with draft so far

quality WR and C

only worry so far is Dallas drafting Martin

Could be sertious O line for Dallas next year

Giants just selected Jay Bromley out of Syracuse 74th overall with their third round pick. Unfortunately CJ Fiedorowicz was gone to the Texans at the top of the third, the last of the elite tight ends available. Have to say don't know a lot about him, but defensive line was likely to be addressed at this pick. Scouting report says he is a good run stuffer though so the toughness will definitely help up front on d. So that makes Beckham, Richburg and Bromley so far. A good haul I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

tgdaly wrote: »
    Giants just selected Jay Bromley out of Syracuse 74th overall with their third round pick. Unfortunately CJ Fiedorowicz was gone to the Texans at the top of the third, the last of the elite tight ends available. Have to say don't know a lot about him, but defensive line was likely to be addressed at this pick. Scouting report says he is a good run stuffer though so the toughness will definitely help up front on d. So that makes Beckham, Richburg and Bromley so far. A good haul I think

He won't have far to go then. jay2.gif

Bit of a surprise there as he was rated as a 6th rounder from everything I read. Had great senior year but was fairly unimpressive before then. Bit of a left field pick from Reese considering Loius Nix, Will Sutton & Kareem Martin went in the next few picks.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-things-to-know-about-DT-Jay-Bromley/2bbc3981-3720-414f-8d1a-f3b5463ba5db

He is an NY kid with a crazy back story as his mother abandoned him & his father ended up in jail. High character, never been in trouble, someone Coughlin will love obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We still need a LB and a TE. Nobody at this stage is going to fill those needs. I would like to see a project LB and DE taken next.

I guess we're going to rely on Robinson who's only been active once in two years and got injured on a special teams play. I think he's a nobody made of glass and Reese is ignoring the TE. Why are we relying on a guy who couldn't even get on the field when Myers was stinking it out.

Did we learn nothing from last year? Reese's picks from 3-7 the last few years have been a disaster. Hopefully we can pick up Jake Murphy but we can't afford to be developing TE atm.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    We still need a LB and a TE. Nobody at this stage is going to fill those needs. I would like to see a project LB and DE taken next.

I guess we're going to rely on Robinson who's only been active once in two years and got injured on a special teams play. I think he's a nobody made of glass and Reese is ignoring the TE. Why are we relying on a guy who couldn't even get on the field when Myers was stinking it out.

Did we learn nothing from last year? Reese's picks from 3-7 the last few years have been a disaster. Hopefully we can pick up Jake Murphy but we can't afford to be developing TE atm.

Yea TE & DE are still big needs.

There are a few TE's left who could be good picks as it is a very strong TE class IMO. Hell would probably need to freeze over but Colt Lyerla in the 6th would be smashing. AC Leonard has the potential to be a dynamic pass catcher & Arthur Lynch is more of an all round prospect. Either of these two in the 5th/6th would do the job.

I'm a massive fan of Jackson Jeffcoat & if he is there when we are picking in the 4th round we must take him. Aaron Lynch is all raw ability who has yet to translate that to the field of play. Again an option in the 4th. Michael Sam is obviously going to be a big story when taken and could be good in that hybrid de/OLB role.

We certainly could do with a LB. Christian Jones is by some distance the most accomplished one remaining but nt sure if he will last to our pick. Yawin Smallwood would also be a lovely pick up in the 4th.

In the 6th if one of the better running backs was available I think we should look at the spot. Unlikely that they last that long but DAnthony Thomas, Lache Seastrunk. David Fluellen is another to keep an eye on. At 6ft, 225lbs he is a big power back who could be a nice complement to what we have.

If we wanted to go WR again late in the draft Cody Hoffman of BYU & Devin Street from Pitt have the size that we are currently missing at the position. Jeremy Gallon is a smaller slot receiver who I wouldn't mind but I doubt we go small at WR.

We have 4 picks remaining. 1 in the 4th, 2 in the 5th and one in the 6th.

My ideal would be

4. Yawin Smallwood
    5. Michael Sam
    5. AC Leonard
    6. Devin Street

You can take it none of those picks will happen

Bromley seems like a huge reach in 3rd as he was projected to go much later

Yeah he's strong and has good character but i don't think he will be much help to use this year

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Bromley seems like a huge reach in 3rd as he was projected to go much later

Yeah he's strong and has good character but i don't think he will be much help to use this year

It's an odd one, no doubt Reese will come out and say that they had him rated as a 2nd rounder yada yada yada

Even Reese isn't that crazy

He will have hard enough time justifying the pick in 3rd

This is a draft that we had to hit out of the park to plug holes

I have no problem with OBJ pick

Richburg i think will turn out nice but maybe TE would have been better use of pick

Our starting TE at this pt is probably JJP of TE's who has 1 snap last year

Bromley is extremely head scratching. Good kid, big man but Definitely Reese reaching again

Really hope we can get some value tonight

Even Reese isn't that crazy

He will have hard enough time justifying the pick in 3rd

This is a draft that we had to hit out of the park to plug holes

I have no problem with OBJ pick

Richburg i think will turn out nice but maybe TE would have been better use of pick

Our starting TE at this pt is probably JJP of TE's who has 1 snap last year

Bromley is extremely head scratching. Good kid, big man but Definitely Reese reaching again

Really hope we can get some value tonight

I know we signed Davis & have Robinson but I reckon as oh now that Larry Donnell is our starting TE.

Giants just select Andre Williams rb out of Boston College 113th overall with their fourth round pick. Great pick, one of the toughest players in the draft, Heisman trophy finalist and great off field character. Can be a work horse back, and adds to a good stable we have now with Jennings and Wilson fit again. A weakness from last year now very strong

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Giants are really going for high character guys. Coughlin must be ecstatic.

Still no tight end, though :p

Edit: In his 40 second dash video (4:54 and 4:53 times) at the Combine, Coughlin was shown in the crowd.

TE and OLB would be ideal now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

3 picks left. 2 in Rd 5 and 1 in Rd 6. No 7th rounder.

Giants just select Nat Berhe safety out of San Diego State University 152nd overall with their first fifth round pick. Good instinctive coverage strong safety, but needs work on his tackling skills. Bit of a surprise pick considering the other needs we have, I didn't rank safety highly among them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jerry Reese shouldn't really be allowed pick from 3rd-7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

49664893.jpg

Giants just select olb Devon Kennard from USC 174th overall with their second fifth round pick. Finally address a need here late. Good smart tough tackler. Needs to work on his explosion and power in the pass rush

6th Round Bennett Jackson CB Notre Dame

Did we really need another CB?

So WR, C, DE, RB, OLD and CB

No TE at all

Giants just select Bennett Jackson cb out of Notre Dame 187th overall with their sixth round pick (and final pick of the draft unless we trade up). Perhaps a bit strange considering cb wasn't the need it was before free agency. Intriguing height and athletic ability, A former WR good hands to intercept. Demonstrated explosion and lateral agility at the combine. Could stand to bulk up and get stronger. Weak jam to hem and reroute. Still honing technique and instincts as a cornerback. Seems to have a safety skill sit, but should contribute on special teams and could develop into a long corner

So to conclude our draft haul is a s follows
    1st round Odell Beckham Jr WR LSU
    2nd round Weston Richburg C Colorado State
    3rd round Jay Bromley DT Syracuse
    4th round Andre Williams RB Boston College
    5th round Nat Berhe SS San Diego State
    5th round Devon Kennard OLB USC
    6th round Bennett Jackson CB Notre Dame

6th Round Bennett Jackson CB Notre Dame

Did we really need another CB?

So WR, C, DE, RB, OLD and CB

No TE at all

I'm pretty happy overall with this. Beckham should be stud at WR, and Richburg was probably the best C in the draft in my opinion, which was a need. Bromley me be a reach, but should be fine as a 2 down run stuffer. Andre Williams was good value at 4 and RB suddenly looks like a good position for us. Berhe at 5 seems a bit strange, Kennard at 5 was a good pick but needs to develop. I agree at the CB pick, should have picked up a TE at some point. 5 out of 7 isn't too bad, I would have preferred at least one TE instead of SS or CB. What does everyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

To quote back to the future " where we're going, we don't need a tight end"!!

HigginsJ wrote: »

We have 4 picks remaining. 1 in the 4th, 2 in the 5th and one in the 6th.

My ideal would be

4. Yawin Smallwood
    5. Michael Sam
    5. AC Leonard
    6. Devin Street

You can take it none of those picks will happen

I really should keep my opinions to myself. At this point in the 7th round only Devin Street has been selected (by the Cowgirls no less)

I like the Andre Williams selection but you have to wonder how much tread he has left on the tyres.

Didn't see safety or corner as obvious needs & am not too familiar with Kennard.

After a strong start to the draft in the 1st two rounds I feel that Reese has not made the best use of the picks available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hopefully we go for someone here from Higgins' post.
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Best UDFA's available per position
    TE
    Colt Lyerla - Oregon
    AC Leonard - Tennessee St.
    Xavier Grimble - USC
    Marcel Jensen - Fresno St.
    Anthony Denham - Utah

• Advertisement

Following UDFA for Giants

DL Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina