Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Waiting until next Friday to see this, and seeing the spoiler tags is tempting, must not check spoilers.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Waiting until next Friday to see this, and seeing the spoiler tags is tempting, must not check spoilers.

It's all a dream in Batman's head.

I know, weird, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Heading into this now, definitely nothing post credits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's a mid-credits scene and that's it. Save yourself the trouble.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

There's a mid-credits scene and that's it. Save yourself the trouble.
    And what a scene it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Elizabeth Olsen is so hot. Thankfully
    she didn't die. Happy I get to see more of her in films

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

6/10 for me. Pretty much more of the same

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Meh.

Just a heartless movie. Not a patch on The Winter Soldier which is still the best of the Marvel movies by a long way IMHO.

I'm surprised that I found Ultron was a pretty boring villain and completely overhyped. More comic relief than threat.

There was also too much padding. I'd easily cut 30 minutes out of it.

At times I felt like I was watching one of the horrid Transformers movies - simply too much going on at times. That whole ending was just silly.

Black Widow had an awful time of it.
    Love sick puppy who has a few funny lines.

Iron Man, Cap, Hulk and Thor are becoming parodies of themselves. Nothing interesting or unexpected at all. I think Captain America in the solo films >>>> The Avengers version.

It's as if they just used the movie to drive sequels for the next few years.

6/10, bordering on 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Sorry but the hulk doesn't get knocked out by any incarnation of Iron Man regardless of whether he is in his hulkbuster suit or not, and regardless if he is hit off guard.

Thor as a character is once again glossed over, and his power without the hammer is once again downplayed.

As a pretty big Marvel/Spider-man fan, that film was average and lacked any spark. As others have said, the villain was weak.
    It gets boring and nearly fatigues you watching them fight hundreds of weak droids when they kill them 10 at a time. As a team they rarely go toe to toe with a worthy villain. Like that's all it is really, watching them beat nothing pawns without any real threat. They never seem really up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think the main problem is that Strucker, Klaw and Ultron weren't scary enough. I know they have to keep it PG for the wider audience but The Avengers never really looked to be in that much trouble.

I can't wait for the deadpool movie because at least then it will be for adults, might have a real sense of danger.

I really hope that Thanos doesn't become a let down in the next Avengers! They'll have to kill CAP or someone we care about, otherwise you'll never really feel their back is against the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I have been doing some thinking about this and I kind of think that the way Ultron is makes sense in a weird way. I mean, where would he have gotten the menacing from? He wasn't programmed with any personality or angry tendencies, these were all learned from its own free will. What I would love to have seen is it accessing 4chan and Reddit.

i think theres alot in this.

by the end of the film it seemed to me at least that alot of ultron was, was just postureing. he seemed more and more like a child lashing out.

the one scene that really stuck with me in relation to him was the genuine sense of outrage he displayed at being compared to his "parent"- tony stark.

yeah hes a "scary villain", but he works as an example of the creation rebelling against the creator too. i mean the guy literally ends up trying to do the exact opposite of what the avengers stand for and tony intended of him.

sounds like a pissed off kid to me.

:D

i kinda missed it at first but looking back he really does go through a character arc of sorts in how he started off - being kinda confused etc- and his ultimate end.

That's exactly it. Ultron is a petulant child. He hates everything that Stark is about him and rebels against this. I think Chappie is an excellent comparison to use - my understanding of AI in this situation is that they're not preprogrammed with anything, so Ultron isn't inherently evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lot of griping going on in here. It's an Avengers movie. What were people expecting exactly? One thing I think Whedon does very well is the humour. I laughed more during this than I have during most comedies.

Personally, I really enjoyed it. I think I still prefer the first avengers but that's a very high bar to reach in my opinion. I certainly think its a superior movie to Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Cap 2 which have been the ones that have come between the two avengers movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just back from it there.

I liked it more than the first one. Conversely, I felt it started weakly and got better as it went on whereas the first just dropped off a cliff when the aliens appeared.
    The start was total pants though. Bad acting, mistimed jokes that fell flat, daft fight sequences that looked cartoonishly silly, even for a superhero film.

Once they got back home things drastically improved.
    The interaction between Avengers wasn't always the best - a lot of it was by the numbers - but the interactions with Ultron were excellent.
    His dialogue and general way of carrying himself was amazing. He just didn't pull it off in the ass kicking stakes to fully realise the threat he was supposed to be carrying. He needed to kill someone, or at least put them in hospital and not just with a jet.

CGI was all top notch. Sounds were all nice except my cinema was too quiet. Loved Scarlet Witch's powers were really coolly put together - the sort of whomp sound that reminded me of the reapers from Mass Effect or something. Didn't really buy their russian accents though.

All in all, an improvement on the first, I thought. Good action, well put together, solid acting after the first 15 minutes, a good character as the villain. The set pieces were enjoyable and the finale was reasonably satisfying.

These films are doomed to suffer from cluttering and a lack of time to flesh out the relationships - they can build characters in the individual films but they can't build the relationships unless you've got the likes of Romanoff in the Winter Soldier or Rhodey in IM.

I think about as good a job as was possible was done by Whedon et al.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was good but don't think I can go any further than that. I really felt the dialogue and one liners was lot more hit and miss than the first. Stark in particular had some poor dialogue, almost generic like, especially when he was inside the suit. I had read Hawkeye has more influence in the film, and he has in a way but it actually doesn't go anywhere really. Especially the
    conversation with his wife about Avengers needing him
    , that built up nothing really. I think also they shoved the whole
    tension in the camp
    stuff down our throat a bit much in it. I'm surprised at Whedon for this because it's something he usually gets a good balance of. Also the voice of
    Starks suit with the Irish accent was extremely distracting, an awful choice of voice to be honest

It's definitely worth watching and it delivers in what it promises. But I can't help feeling it's a blockbuster for the sake of being a blockbuster. I think there's a lack of inventiveness this time round and characters like Quiksilver were a bit disappointing (my dislike for Taylor-Johnson goes towards that too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Hated this. I'm a big fan of the Marvel movies & I felt like this was the worst so far. (& I'm including Iron man 3 in there). Maybe it's superhero fatigue, maybe I was over hyped on it before going, but I came out of the cinema not caring about it or any of the characters. Very forgettable & I don't think it'll do as well as previous ones.

Trailer for Fantastic 4 was on before it. Why are they all 15 years of age ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

OU812 wrote: »
    Hated this. I'm a big fan of the Marvel movies & I felt like this was the worst so far. (& I'm including Iron man 3 in there). Maybe it's superhero fatigue, maybe I was over hyped on it before going, but I came out of the cinema not caring about it or any of the characters. Very forgettable & I don't think it'll do as well as previous ones.

Trailer for Fantastic 4 was on before it. Why are they all 15 years of age ???

Isnt Kata Mara in it? She's about thirty.

Unfortunately I didn't like it as much as the first and my 2 primary thoughts are negative ones.

1. They really flogged the 'language' joke to death. I enjoyed the first gag but they just kept at it.

2. WHY did they give Ultron a mouth!? It really annoyed me, he's a robot he doesn't need a mouth and it completely took away from the menace. It's like you've got this evil robot who wants to wipe out humanity and you decide to make him look more human. It made no sense to me, also, metal can't bend that way. It distracted me throughout. Iron Man doesn't need a mouth!!

I'll be back tomo with more positive thoughts, because I do have some.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kirby wrote: »
    Lot of griping going on in here. It's an Avengers movie. What were people expecting exactly?

Something better than a turn-your-brain-off popcorn flick akin to the original?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Civil Servant13

Going to see it tonight. Tickets booked. Going on my own as friends wanna hit the pub after the match and they like girly films. Can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

some fair amount of negativity around this, seen it 2 days ago, and after a bit of time to digest ive decided its a pretty good film, not as good as the first, but still brilliant, i think the first one kind of blew everyone away, as no one was expecting it to be that good, therefore the hype around the second has been to much that there was no way it could live up to it,

so the first was under-hyped for how good it was, but this was slightly over-hyped unfortunately,

the series is at a point now where its getting much harder to satisfy the fans, and its their won fault, they simply cant get the films out fast enough, the next avengers isnt for 3 years, and thats gonna be a 2 parter, so 3 more years of hype, and only 6 films (Ant Man, Civil War, Dr Strange, GOTG 2, Spider-man, and Thor Ragnarok) to fill the void,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Let's not play the "Oh you didn't like it? It's your own fault!" card. I don't blame anyone for getting tired of the well worn Marvel formula by now. While I enjoyed this more than Guardians it's not hard to sense the wheels starting to fall off the train. It doesn't set a good precedent when Marvel got rid of Edgar Wright, the one director who so far could have brought a unique spin on this universe. Even Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy had to turn into The Avengers 1.5 in their second halves, it's kind of dispiriting the way these films have to constantly reign themselves in to serve a grander universe instead of doing something interesting and carving their own path.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

e_e wrote: »
    Let's not play the "Oh you didn't like it? It's your own fault!" card. I don't blame anyone for getting tired of the well worn Marvel formula by now. While I enjoyed this more than Guardians it's not hard to sense the wheels starting to fall off the train. It doesn't set a good precedent when Marvel got rid of Edgar Wright, the one director who so far could have brought a unique spin on this universe. Even Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy had to turn into The Avengers 1.5 in their second halves, it's kind of dispiriting the way these films have to constantly reign themselves in to serve a grander universe instead of doing something interesting and carving their own path.

I posted this in the MCU thread and it really shows Marvel have a formula and they are sticking with it.
    While we may never know what exactly led to the split, we do know that Feige and the Marvel brass may have felt the film’s action sequences weren’t up to level of their current output, so part of Adam McKay and Paul Rudd’s mission was to write in “bigger, more aggressive” action setpieces

Overall I liked it, but was definitely disappointed because it isn't as good as Assemble, and I went expecting it to be. I think there's definitely too much humour which just seems forced. "People really like how funny the first one was" syndrome. As I mentioned previously the 'language' gag was overcooked and the 'You didn't see that coming' was another victim. Everyone expects the good guy to throw the bad guy's quip back at him at some stage later in the film but there's no need of the bad guy to throw it back again. No one wants to watch a game of quip tennis. There were some genuinely funny moments but there were times when I would have liked the team to be taking things a lot more seriously.

The next issue I had was Ultron. I have absolutely no problem with Spader's performance, if anything I thought he was underused. As mentioned above his mouth bothered the hell out of me. Ultron to me should have a 'presence' that existed everywhere, and his robots should have just been shells for him to occupy, I think giving him a mouth tied him in the audience's mind to one body. I don't think they utilised the idea that any and every single drone he built was Ultron. Which brings me to my other point which is that they were far too easily destroyed and there seemed to be no organisation to their attack. The Chitari were also just pawns but for some reason the battle of New York was more enjoyable and effective and I think that's because the Avengers were working as a team, they all their roles to play and we had that scene with Cap giving them orders of what to do. Whereas in the battle in AoU I felt they weren't so much a team as individuals fighting with the same goal.

Another small thing, Ultron's Pinochio homage was great in the teaser, really menacing but in the film there was absolutely no context or explanation for it. Obviously it fits in with the fact that Ultron is a child but I can only presume there's a scene on the cutting room floor somewhere.

As I said, overall I did like and I will watch it again but it will take me a while to get over the disappointment.

i think you could really see spader in ultron, the way he talks he smacks his lips and kind of over pronounces some of his words, and the way he head kind of nods as he talks, anyone who watches the blacklist will know

there seemed to be two types of robots, the simple easy to destroy ones and the ones that ultron occupied, better built and stronger than the others, a little short sighted that they made such a point about
    vibranium and ultron never built a robot body out of it, i know he wanted visions body but youd think he build a vibranium one to take on the avengers till the vision body was ready,

also i thought loki's staff had a bit of the
    tesseract in it, and thats why they could shut down the portal in part one, but now it turns out there was another infinity stone in the staff, and now vision has that in his head,
    hes literally powered by infinite energy, yet he must be trained as an avenger :confused:

i must say for people trying to make a cohesive universe theres seems to be a lot of inconsistency,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

don ramo wrote: »
    some fair amount of negativity around this, seen it 2 days ago, and after a bit of time to digest ive decided its a pretty good film, not as good as the first, but still brilliant, i think the first one kind of blew everyone away, as no one was expecting it to be that good, therefore the hype around the second has been to much that there was no way it could live up to it,

so the first was under-hyped for how good it was, but this was slightly over-hyped unfortunately,

the series is at a point now where its getting much harder to satisfy the fans, and its their won fault, they simply cant get the films out fast enough, the next avengers isnt for 3 years, and thats gonna be a 2 parter, so 3 more years of hype, and only 6 films (Ant Man, Civil War, Dr Strange, GOTG 2, Spider-man, and Thor Ragnarok) to fill the void,

Spiderman ? I thought they are making a black panther film ?

ricero wrote: »
    Spiderman ? I thought they are making a black panther film ?
    they are, Black Panther is scheduled for july 2018, Infinity War Part 1 is May 2018, their gonna have a stand alone spiderman film out on july 2017, so he can join the avengers for IW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe#Films

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

i must say for people trying to make a cohesive universe theres seems to be a lot of inconsistency,

I agree. One of the things that struck me also is how did Thanos get his hands on the Gaunlet when it's clearly in Odins vault in the first Thor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, along with the films, you've got Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders and whatever else they try to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

cronin_j wrote: »
    I agree. One of the things that struck me also is how did Thanos get his hands on the Gaunlet when it's clearly in Odins vault in the first Thor?

I doubt that was the actual Gauntlet, like it had all the infinity stones in it. It was just an Easter egg for comic fans (Like Ant-Man's costume in Cap 1). Though Loki is on the throne and we know he's an ally (or at least terrified of Thanos) and would let him take the Gauntlet without much resistance.

Advertisement