Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys attacking cyclists in Dublin!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Ask the gardai to get the drivers insurance details as you plan to take an action through the PIAB.

The post doesn't mention the driver hitting the poster, so not sure what action there is to be taken through the PIAB, they will want to know about threats even less than the Gardai seemed to want to!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

btw, when i first read the thread title, i read it as 'gays attacking cyclists'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    Happens to me quite a lot, but outside town heading south. I'd say it happens every week or so. No idea why.

I was coming back from racing Tuesday night and a grey 131 corolla with 3 lads in it felt compelled to cross the n11, pull up beside me, shout at me, comment on my anatomy, then pull off again. :rolleyes::mad: It does happen, but no enough to put you off. A lot more so in Spring/summer/autumn (the shouting). Almost never in winter for me anyway.

N11 though. I experienced most of my worst **** on bike or car on N11. Used to live in Killiney and had some crazy experiences.

N11 though. I experienced most of my worst **** on bike or car on N11. Used to live in Killiney and had some crazy experiences.

Sorry, to clarify, never cycled when I lived there but still use the N11 for cycles since moving to NORTHSIDE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sorry, to clarify, never cycled when I lived there but still use the N11 for cycles since moving to NORTHSIDE.

Most of the cycling 'incidents' I experience happen on the n11. Just seems to he a hotspot for it. Hate that road. An unfortunately necessary evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

cython wrote: »
    The post doesn't mention the driver hitting the poster, so not sure what action there is to be taken through the PIAB, they will want to know about threats even less than the Gardai seemed to want to!

There is payment for mental health, If you have suffered, e.g. afraid to cycle a particular road or indeed cycle at all because of the actions of a 3rd party you are entitled to claim.

Its in the PIAB forms

You do not have to have a collision to have an adverse outcome.

BTW I always cycle with a fly 6 camera now.

And very boring to cycle

There is payment for mental health, If you have suffered, e.g. afraid to cycle a particular road or indeed cycle at all because of the actions of a 3rd party you are entitled to claim.

Its in the PIAB forms

You do not have to have a collision to have an adverse outcome.

BTW I always cycle with a fly 6 camera now.

And where did the poster mention having suffered any of this?! Is it any wonder there's a compo culture when this is the goto advice that people get? :rolleyes:

And where did the poster mention having suffered any of this?! Is it any wonder there's a compo culture when this is the goto advice that people get? :rolleyes:

Nowhere, I just mentioned it as a way to get the guards to take action.

But go ahead, fly off the handle.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

KTRIC wrote: »
    Put in a claim against their insurance for your injuries and damage to your bike.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've had people lean out the window and scream abuse when passing on the road from cruagh to viewing point recently.

On a couple of nights up at viewing point this winter there were kids in cars doing doughnuts in the car park, if I'd read this thread before then I'd have been even more scared in the dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

lolo62 wrote: »
    Can't believe this..it confirms what I've been thinking lately about society and that's that average Joe these days is a sociopath

Scarcely.

If there were an easy way of knowing what insurance company any driver was with, the easy way to stop this dead in its tracks would be for a few people with helmet cameras to send footage to the insurance companies insuring the drivers in question, and for this to get plenty of publicity. If people thought their insurance (if any, of course) was going to quadruple as a result of dangerous behaviour towards cyclists it might sober them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭omri

I'm just gonna post here as I'm not sure if this was mentioned already or if it's true. Yesterday my wife told me that there is a gang targeting cyclists with good bikes in enniskerry especially if they cycle alone. They apparently are knocking people of their bikes in order to steal them. She was told that by few of her colleagues - if its true or not I don't know but better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Scarcely.

If there were an easy way of knowing what insurance company any driver was with, the easy way to stop this dead in its tracks would be for a few people with helmet cameras to send footage to the insurance companies insuring the drivers in question, and for this to get plenty of publicity. If people thought their insurance (if any, of course) was going to quadruple as a result of dangerous behaviour towards cyclists it might sober them.

Interesting idea. It's amazing how many people driving branded vehicles seem to forget that they are an advertisement for their brand. Bring the employers into the picture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

A little off topic but i'm not a fan of guys cycling around with cameras. I have a Go Pro and use it when I'm thundering down some hill in the Alps but I just don't like the idea of using one for my daily commute. The same s*it happens me as it does others, but I'm not feeling like I need to cycle around with a camera on my head yet. These incidents aren't frequent enough to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

mal1 wrote: »
    A little off topic but i'm not a fan of guys cycling around with cameras. I have a Go Pro and use it when I'm thundering down some hill in the Alps but I just don't like the idea of using one for my daily commute. The same s*it happens me as it does others, but I'm not feeling like I need to cycle around with a camera on my head yet. These incidents aren't frequent enough to justify.
    Surely 1 incident of a cyclist being assaulted is 1 too many and warrants any cyclist taking measures to prevent it happening to them self or others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If you ever get knocked off your bike by a car, like I did on the Walkinstown Roundabout, you'll understand how important a camera can be.

I hope you never need one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

What's wrong with compo culture? People pay ridiculous amounts to insurance companies every year. It's only right they cough up when there's an accident.

William F wrote: »
    What's wrong with compo culture? People pay ridiculous amounts to insurance companies every year. It's only right they cough up when there's an accident.

Are you really so naive as to ask that question?! The culture of compensation in Ireland is exactly why we pay so much to insurance companies. Insurance companies have always been businesses, and as such have always had to make a profit, but the cost of insurance (for everybody, not just those claiming!) is being forced up massively by exaggerated and frivolous claims. I have no qualms with people claiming for genuine losses incurred, but I'm fed up of seeing my costs of insurance continually increasing because of this culture, in spite of not having had to claim made against me to date (touch wood!). People on threads like this encouraging claims where no suggestion of loss/damage/distress have been made are only encouraging frivolous claims, and that is exactly what is wrong with the culture.

Nowhere, I just mentioned it as a way to get the guards to take action.

But go ahead, fly off the handle.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm not flying off the handle, but threatening the Gardai with a frivolous insurance claim (see my previous post as to why I regard this as frivolous in this context based on the poster's description) will not (or at least should not) push them to take action any more than the original complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I wonder would one of these mounted on your bike be much of a deterrent.

$_35.JPG

If you ever get knocked off your bike by a car, like I did on the Walkinstown Roundabout, you'll understand how important a camera can be.

I hope you never need one!

I obviously understand what you are saying, I'm not blind to it and as I said the same happens to me as you, I've been knocked off a bike more than once. A camera might come in handy. It didn't for me since the driver has always stopped and we sorted it.

So I'm still not going to wear a camera and at the moment.

Worse things happened to me off the bike. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The only sure place to ride to avoid being attacked as a cyclist...... is in A4 racing.

*Ba dum tish :D*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not quite in the same league, but about an hour ago there was a crazy girl walking along the coast at Baldoyle holding her arm up giving everyone, cyclists and motorists, the finger. I think she was just pissed she was wet and freezing.

Now where are those insurance forms for my claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A little off topic but i'm not a fan of guys cycling around with cameras.

Me neither, but at a time when saaaairtin paaaarties are pushing a dangerous anti-cyclist line, it may be temporarily necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I had to stop reading this about half way through because it was just too sickening. Yet, I imagine if you asked the random Joe Duffy listener or Finian McGrath type you would be almost certain to hear that cyclists are the biggest danger on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If you have the reg number(s) of these Italian reg cars, you could try to report them to Revenue. If they're resident here, they're supposed to transfer the car to an Irish Reg within 7 days of it entering the state.

That is for an Irish person buying a car abroad and bringing it in. A foreigner coming to Ireland has a grace period of 12 months:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html
    The period of time that the vehicle is in the State does not exceed 12 months.

7 Days would be very difficult for any foreign reg cars that are here for longer than a week but not resident here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

William F wrote: »

Have you ever wondered why you pay a ridiculous amount for insurance? I guess not. Better put in your claim before they jack up the premium (again).

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Surely 1 incident of a cyclist being assaulted is 1 too many and warrants any cyclist taking measures to prevent it happening to them self or others?

Absolutely disagree. I can't agree with the attitude that we all must react and change our behaviour due to the actions of a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Personaly before i started cycling i used to get quite frustrated with cyclists hogging lanes, that was until i got back onto a bike after many years and you realise how vulnerable that you are on a bicycle and now show a lot more.
    But even at that i would never have felt the need to try attack a cyclist with my car, and if someone tried it to me i would not be too impressed and if someone tried assaulting me when i stop i will do what is legally entitled of me to stop someone from carrying it out.

Advertisement